Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It just occurred to me that even years after it became possible, I can't bring myself to put games I'm playing into suspend mode before I go out. I always quit them entirely. On the Switch too.

Unrelated, but I finally bought Persona 3D and 5D. I had held off for a long time because they were expensive and because the dancing itself looked so technically uninteresting. After starting them I realized there's a perfectly good in-world explanation for that...they just don't know how to dance, and say so up front. They got sucked into a dream world and told "you're here to dance, it doesn't matter that you don't know how and you'll wake up from this dream not remembering anything, so just dance!"

That's pretty charming. Persona is good for charming.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

It just occurred to me that even years after it became possible, I can't bring myself to put games I'm playing into suspend mode before I go out. I always quit them entirely. On the Switch too.

Unrelated, but I finally bought Persona 3D and 5D. I had held off for a long time because they were expensive and because the dancing itself looked so technically uninteresting. After starting them I realized there's a perfectly good in-world explanation for that...they just don't know how to dance, and say so up front. They got sucked into a dream world and told "you're here to dance, it doesn't matter that you don't know how and you'll wake up from this dream not remembering anything, so just dance!"

That's pretty charming. Persona is good for charming.

The future is now old man!

I suspend everything on Xbox one, ps4, vita and switch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I even suspend pc midgame even when i know theres a 50% chance all my programs will be closed when i turn it back on

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think I've only suspended a game a few times during emergencies, like going to see if the food got overcooked or having to desperately take a poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I could not imagine modern gaming without the suspend feature, but I also have dogs and get a lot of deliveries

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm also dicking about in Days Gone and enjoying it more than I thought I would. It probably helps I got it for $30, but there's something about it that just pushes the right buttons. Sneaking around a town and popping baddies with an AK and an oil filter serving as a suppressor is extremely my poo poo.

Surprisingly good sound design too, and Sam Witwer is doing a great job of playing a paranoid and strung out dude.

I feel this way about a lot of open world games. A lot of them are good for dicking around in for a few hours at $30. It takes a truly special one to justify $60 and 40-60 hours to actually complete the game.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
why on earth wouldn't you use suspend? being able to stop at any moment and then jump back in later in only seconds is one of the best things about newer consoles

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't go down this path thread!!!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's me, casually killing the planet by using the suspend feature.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Don't go down this path thread!!!

sorry I don't read this thread as often as others, if this is a common derail or something then I apologize!

unrelated note, got another chapter or two in to UC3 and decided to shelve it for now, the combat is too frustrating for me even on easy. For a change of pace I picked up Detroit Too Human from the sale and played the first mission of that last night, seems dope so far.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I remember that time, oh so many years ago, leaving a NES on overnight so I could complete Super Mario Brothers 2. If only suspend had existed....

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

VideoGames posted:

I remember that time, oh so many years ago, leaving a NES on overnight so I could complete Super Mario Brothers 2. If only suspend had existed....

...you wouldn't have burned your house down?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

VideoGames posted:

I had a roommate who was casually making his way through Super Mario 3 on NES, and would leave the console on while he was at work.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lobok posted:

...you wouldn't have burned your house down?

I would not have racked up the electric bill!! :D

BisterdDave posted:

I had a roommate who was casually making his way through Super Mario 3 on NES, and would leave the console on while he was at work.

I did this too. Games before save states were tough!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Remember having long arguments as a kid about whether leaving a game paused would break the NES and I'm not sure if we were misunderstanding screen burn-in or what.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
When I got a ps2. It came with FFX, But I had no memory card.
Never left the ps2 on overnight. So I remember many times starting from Zanarkand and making it to Kilika before I finally got a memory card.

Nowadays consoles have built in memory. But I will always remember the struggle of not being able to save the game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My mom’s boyfriend bought me a PS2 so he could take my mom out for the weekend and I remember being like 13-14 and just having to be like “look dude I really don’t want to be rude and I really appreciate this but it’s kind of useless without this thing...” and he was a huge pothead and seemed confused or he thought I was making it up but he kinda got it and came back with 2 memory cards and handful of games he’d scooped out of the bargain bin at EB games.

I never saw my mom again, but I finally got the silver Samurai in Summoner and beat the second boss in Orphan!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i left my 360 on over night to get that dead rising 7 day achievement thing or whatever it was. still works.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sefal posted:

When I got a ps2. It came with FFX, But I had no memory card.
Never left the ps2 on overnight. So I remember many times starting from Zanarkand and making it to Kilika before I finally got a memory card.

Nowadays consoles have built in memory. But I will always remember the struggle of not being able to save the game.

I remember when I first got Persona 3 my memory card died, and playing an SMT game with no memory card was maybe the most stressed out a game has ever made me

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

i left my 360 on over night to get that dead rising 7 day achievement thing or whatever it was. still works.

The legend is true! They are the chosen one!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

VideoGames posted:

I’m convinced I killed all my consoles as a kid because I left them on overnight.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My friend didn't have a memory card for his PS1 so we took turns playing through the first disc of FF7, playing the Twisted Metal story & all of Crash 3 Warped a ton.

VideoGames posted:

The legend is true! They are the chosen one!

I saw someone trying to sell their launch model 360 that somehow didn't red ring the other day.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Mr E posted:

I saw someone trying to sell their launch model 360 that somehow didn't red ring the other day.

Can't red ring if you don't turn it on.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I would try to keep my NES on overnight but someone would walk (stomp) heavily near the system and cause it to blink or pop the cartridge up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I use rest mode and have since launch but I rarely ever suspend games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gey muckle mowser posted:

why on earth wouldn't you use suspend? being able to stop at any moment and then jump back in later in only seconds is one of the best things about newer consoles
I irrationally think it's going to gently caress up the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's been awhile but I remember a couple games not taking well to suspend mode. I think it was Bloodborne where the AI would break if it were suspended for too long?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Policenaut posted:

It's been awhile but I remember a couple games not taking well to suspend mode. I think it was Bloodborne where the AI would break if it were suspended for too long?

Yeah, enemies would stop using parts of their moveset and become easier to fight. Bloodborne and some other games also had trouble with network services and wouldn't reconnect properly after coming out of suspend so summoning/invading wouldn't work until you restarted the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Policenaut posted:

yeah, it was a memory leak that lobotomized enemy AI, making them unable to do anything but walk forward and spam their basic attack

there were some people really confused at how much trouble everyone was having at the final boss because of this

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Still wondering if this guy is From being cheeky about God of War. Both games seem to truck in a lot of the same themes. I'd like to see someone do a big comparative video essay on them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've noticed that some games tend to get bad texture pop-in if you consistently take them in and out of suspend but that's probably more of a hardware issue.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I use suspend mode all the time, it's one of the best things to have come out of this generation in terms of QoL improvements. Saves a lot of time loading into game especially if you're playing something like The Witcher 3.

However it may be pretty much negated next-gen if that PS5 Spider-Man demo is anything to go by.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Publishers will never give up on their unskippable logos and the "do not turn off your console while this icon is displayed" screens, so coming out of suspend will always be faster than relaunching and reload a game. Plus, there's something to be said for taking exactly zero buttons to resume even if it doesn't take meaningfully less time.

Really, I'd expect the next generation to move in the opposite direction and become more like computers or phones, where suspend/sleep mode is the strongly preferred feature and you have to go to significantly more trouble to find the fully power off command. The console could even probably detect whether the device it's plugged into is powered on and paying attention and shift itself into low-power mode if it's not.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

the gently caress

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Same.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I listened to a podcaster that said she can't put games in suspend mode before returning the characters in them to a 'safe' space. Like, can't leave Link outside in BotW during suspend, or he'll be in danger from the elements and monsters, so she has to return to his home and put him in bed before she suspends it. It's the craziest thing related to suspend/rest I've ever heard, and I've heard some of you talk about how its bad so you know it's wild.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
characters should be taken to a safe spot to rest. when its night time in RDR2 and i know i need to sleep i set up camp and or go back the main camp and rest to save my game and then go to bed in real life. immersive gameplay. :colbert:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not using rest mode and power cycling it everytime you use the console is bad for the console. That’s why they invented rest mode.

Suspending a game is like pausing a YouTube video. You can’t hurt a game by pausing it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Not using rest mode and power cycling it everytime you use the console is bad for the console. That’s why they invented rest mode.
Exclusively using rest mode on PS4s used to give you a higher chance of the disk eject bug, which was solved by just, y'know, not using rest mode as often. I just turn the whole thing off now and never have the issue any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Suspend mode ran up my Witcher 3 in-game playtime clock by ~30 hours, haven't used it since.