Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

They did good for what the design requirements given to them but it was a massive cluster gently caress from the word "Go" on those requirements. There's no good loving reason to try to cram every single god drat role in the world in to one air frame.

Allow me to present the striker:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Speaking of, some recent reporting about state of F-35 problem fixes and lack thereof in some cases.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/the-pentagon-is-battling-the-clock-to-fix-serious-unreported-f-35-problems/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

But Iran so far away?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Speaking of, some recent reporting about state of F-35 problem fixes and lack thereof in some cases.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/the-pentagon-is-battling-the-clock-to-fix-serious-unreported-f-35-problems/

Literally everything in that article is also impacting other platforms. Everything using OBOGS is still having O2 problems (it's been, what, almost a decade since the F-22 pilot died), Hornets have been having pressure spikes for years. Not that it isn't a problem, but screaming "OMG F-35 is trash because *list of things shared across airframes and services*" is clickbait. If anything, the F-35 might just force Honeywell, et al. to actually fix something.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Toronto Raptors just won the NBA championship

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's a just a little bit of a difference between "it's possible that Iranian affiliated groups had some involvement in something" and "there is definitive evidence that this was sanctioned by the Iranian government and warrants a third unifying the front in the Middle East".

FTFY

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Literally everything in that article is also impacting other platforms. Everything using OBOGS is still having O2 problems, Hornets have been having pressure spikes for years. Not that it isn't a problem, but screaming "OMG F-35 is trash because *list of things shared across airframes and services*" is clickbait. If anything, the F-35 might just force Honeywell, et al. to actually fix something.

I'm not screaming that the F-35 is trash, just pointing out some of the stuff that still doesn't work right.

And "literally everything" in the article impacts other platforms? Are you using literally to mean not-at-all literally? Otherwise, you are mistaken.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Arcella posted:

Perry gets not a pass, but some slack? From me, because he tried to make HPV vaccines mandatory for Texas public schools and the religious right was pissed about it.

I remember when Perry was visibly shocked in public when he learned DoE was in charge of the nuclear weapons industrial base and I think it actually scared him into having the good sense to delegate

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Not sure whether I'm happier about Boston losing the cup or Golden State losing the championship.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

psydude posted:

Not sure whether I'm happier about Boston losing the cup or Golden State losing the championship.

Golden State, for sure. The team is basically dust now that the league has caught up to their level.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who cares I'll drink to both

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

Which has nothing to do with the airplane. Glad we got that out of the way.

Airplanes are more than just how hard they make pilots and nerds. Holy poo poo, the sustainment is so hosed that they can't even get spare parts sorted because the F-35 has a uniquely stupid parts pool that can't keep up with the revisions the plane has gone through. When parts go in for repair it can take almost twice as long as planned for because the repair shops at the depot level haven't been established yet and won't be for another several years at least. The training fleet of F-35s is going to have to be slowly replaced as parts wear out that can't be replaced because the planes they're in are early production models that can't be fully upgraded to block 3F or whatever the current fully mission capable variant is. Did you know there are currently 39 different parts combinations for the various planes in the fleet? Thankfully, the special logistics program for the F-35 is as immature as the F-35 itself, requiring a unit to do as much as 45,000 additional hours of work in order to get the required parts for their such wonderful airplanes. That's okay though, because the DOD doesn't know what it is buying or how much it is spending on these parts.

The F-35 program is loving stupid, but hey, at least the pilots like the plane.

e: https://www.gao.gov/mobile/products/GAO-19-321 this is only a month and a half old

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 14, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hot Karl Marx posted:

What are the odds on drake partying to death tonight?

Because that's about 100% of what I know about the raptors and around 97% of my basketball knowledge. I know more about baseketball.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Canadians stealing our trophies. America is at its lowest today.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't think I've ever believed in a conspiracy before and I 100% believe in my bones this tanker bombing thing is a huge setup. It's just outrageously convenient for the Saudis, right down to not creating any oil spills, and outrageously not in line with any kind of Iranian interest, and it just happens to happen in the weeks of the US deliberately ramping up tensions and all but openly begging for something to instigate over.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if what's actually happening is the plot of Alpha Protocol but IRL.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh hey, just spreading the word of the lord here, don't mind me.

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/06/13/graphic-tenn-deputy-pastor-calls-lgbtq-executions-sermon/

quote:

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT/Gray News) - An embattled Knox County sheriff’s deputy, who also is a pastor, on Wednesday defended a sermon he gave filled with anti-gay, derogatory language during a church service, WVLT reported.

Grayson Fritts, pastor of All Scripture Baptist Church, told his congregation he was upholding principles of the Bible and called other Baptist preachers, “weak and spineless” for not doing the same.

"Just as much as God loves, God hates,” he said.

Fritts said he never called on civilians to commit violence against members of the LGBTQ community. He told his congregation Wednesday that responsibility lies with the government.

He finished his commentary by saying, “put homos to death.”

Someone left a note outside the church before service started. It was quickly picked up by a congregant and taken inside the church building. It said, “Dear Pastor Fritts, I don’t know what happened to you, but I am so sorry. Love, Thy Neighbor.”

Knox County District Attorney General Charme Allen announced she would review all pending cases involving Fritts as a witness.

“I find this speech personally offensive and reprehensible,” Allen said. “As district attorney, my constitutional obligation is to protect the integrity of the justice system. When any potential witness in a criminal proceeding expresses an opinion of hatred and/or bias towards a class of citizens, I am ethically bound to explore that witness’ credibility. Accordingly, I am reviewing all pending cases involving Mr. Fritts to scrutinize them for any potential bias.

"Although my office has never received a complaint regarding Mr. Fritts prior to this incident, I have assigned an assistant district attorney to receive complaints regarding closed cases, and I will act on those complaints as justice dictates.”

Fritts sermon defensive Wednesday followed his June 2 statements, when he called on police to enforce a Bible passage from Leviticus that prescribes death as punishment for being a member of the LGBTQ community. The sermon prompted an investigation by the Knox County District Attorney’s Office.

That sermon also contained violent and belittling statements. He has been a pastor at the church for two years.

The church clearly outlined its beliefs on its website, using anti-gay speech and saying members of the LGBTQ community were not allowed to join or attend. The website also condemned Calvinism and expresses its belief in the end times.

The sheriff’s office said that days before delivering the sermon, Fritts asked for early retirement from the department. Knox County Sheriff Tom Spangler said Fritts made the request two weeks prior to June 12.

“Detective Fritts turned in his request for The Knox County Voluntary Workforce Reduction Buy Out approximately two weeks ago,” Spangler said. “I accepted his request. Detective Fritts is no longer on active duty with the Knox County Sheriff’s Office, he is currently on paid sick leave until the effective date of the workforce reduction which will be July 19, 2019.

“I want to be very clear that it is my responsibility to ensure equal protection to All citizens of Knox County, Tennessee under the law, my oath and the United States Constitution without discrimination or hesitation. Rest assured that I have and will continue to do so.”

Fritts was named detective of the month by Knox County Sheriff's Office in 2017 after taking a suspect in a violent home break-in into custody within 24 hours.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

I'm not screaming that the F-35 is trash, just pointing out some of the stuff that still doesn't work right.

And "literally everything" in the article impacts other platforms? Are you using literally to mean not-at-all literally? Otherwise, you are mistaken.

Oops, I forgot the one about the B/C coating. But otherwise, yeah literally everything else.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Would telling the Marines they can't have fixed wing aircraft anymore honestly have any sort of negative effect on our defense capabilities?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Airplanes are more than just how hard they make pilots and nerds. Holy poo poo, the sustainment is so hosed that they can't even get spare parts sorted because the F-35 has a uniquely stupid parts pool that can't keep up with the revisions the plane has gone through. When parts go in for repair it can take almost twice as long as planned for because the repair shops at the depot level haven't been established yet and won't be for another several years at least. The training fleet of F-35s is going to have to be slowly replaced as parts wear out that can't be replaced because the planes they're in are early production models that can't be fully upgraded to block 3F or whatever the current fully mission capable variant is. Did you know there are currently 39 different parts combinations for the various planes in the fleet? Thankfully, the special logistics program for the F-35 is as immature as the F-35 itself, requiring a unit to do as much as 45,000 additional hours of work in order to get the required parts for their such wonderful airplanes. That's okay though, because the DOD doesn't know what it is buying or how much it is spending on these parts.

The F-35 program is loving stupid, but hey, at least the pilots like the plane.

e: https://www.gao.gov/mobile/products/GAO-19-321 this is only a month and a half old

Oh, I see what the problem is. You don't know that most of this is not unusual.

The B-1s have been grounded several times in the past few years because of parts shortages. The jets parked at the boneyard are basically scrap at this point because everything usable has already been picked and reinstalled on an operational jet. I flew on an E-3 that had parts salvaged from a loving CRASH THAT KILLED 24 CREW. I saw the stenciled tail number myself. I've been TDY and we were grounded while parts were custom-fabricated then FedExed to us...more than once. F-15s have literally fallen apart mid-air because we've worn them out. F-16s fall out the sky several times every year. A Super Hornet (actually a Growler, I think) almost killed its crew by overpressuring suddenly and drastically. We're rebuilding B-52s that were retired 10 years ago because we're just wearing everything out. Maintenance sucks across the board. Right now we have 31 E-3s, spread across six variants. That poo poo happens when you make changes and upgrades. 39 seems excessive, but maybe we shouldn't have required a jack-of-all-trades aircraft to do everything for everyone.

I'm not saying the F-35 program is a well-oiled machine. I never loving said that, and I probably agree with you on most programmatic points. But at the end of the day the thing has to do its job, and it does it well. Your argument is a condemnation of the MIC, not the aircraft itself. Acquisitions is politics, and therefore is permafucked.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Casimir Radon posted:

Would telling the Marines they can't have fixed wing aircraft anymore honestly have any sort of negative effect on our defense capabilities?

It would actually improve our defense capabilities, weirdly enough.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Oh poo poo yes.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Godholio posted:

Oh, I see what the problem is. You don't know that most of this is not unusual.

The B-1s have been grounded several times in the past few years because of parts shortages. The jets parked at the boneyard are basically scrap at this point because everything usable has already been picked and reinstalled on an operational jet. I flew on an E-3 that had parts salvaged from a loving CRASH THAT KILLED 24 CREW. I saw the stenciled tail number myself. I've been TDY and we were grounded while parts were custom-fabricated then FedExed to us...more than once. F-15s have literally fallen apart mid-air because we've worn them out. F-16s fall out the sky several times every year. A Super Hornet (actually a Growler, I think) almost killed its crew by overpressuring suddenly and drastically. We're rebuilding B-52s that were retired 10 years ago because we're just wearing everything out. Maintenance sucks across the board. Right now we have 31 E-3s, spread across six variants. That poo poo happens when you make changes and upgrades. 39 seems excessive, but maybe we shouldn't have required a jack-of-all-trades aircraft to do everything for everyone.

I'm not saying the F-35 program is a well-oiled machine. I never loving said that, and I probably agree with you on most programmatic points. But at the end of the day the thing has to do its job, and it does it well. Your argument is a condemnation of the MIC, not the aircraft itself. Acquisitions is politics, and therefore is permafucked.

I (know a guy who) once stole parts off of a display bird on a naval air station after crawling all over front gate displays looking for a front landing gear strut brace that had a part number that matched the part we needed for a legacy (c) hornet. It's always been hosed and anyone telling you different is full of it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The Chinese language news channels here are saying that Japan planted the bombs themselves to frame Iran and help Trump.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ded posted:

The Chinese language news channels here are saying that Japan planted the bombs themselves to frame Iran and help Trump.

No way

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyxG4vTyZ8

Year old video but very relevant

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Oh my god the US and Iran need to just gently caress already.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
It'll kill any dramatic tension. The writers need to get their poo poo together because this season sucks so far.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Tom Clancy died too soon I'd give anything to see the poo poo he'd put out with this going on

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Tom Clancy died too soon I'd give anything to see the poo poo he'd put out with this going on

Counterpoint: Tom Clancy died to write our current geopolitical situation from the afterlife. makes u think.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

bird cooch posted:

I (know a guy who) once stole parts off of a display bird on a naval air station after crawling all over front gate displays looking for a front landing gear strut brace that had a part number that matched the part we needed for a legacy (c) hornet. It's always been hosed and anyone telling you different is full of it.

This was a pretty common occurrence with our old Sea Kings. Techs would take parts from birds inside literal museums to keep them flying.

How our legacy bugs and the Aussie ones we just bought keep flying is a mystery.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
We're going to war with Iran so John Bolton can rub his tiny dick raw, aren't we?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Those helicopters were always sea-king the water/ground

Edit:

egyptian rat race posted:

We're going to war with Iran so John Bolton can rub his tiny dick raw, aren't we?

gotta help Raytheon recoup some cash after that merger

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

bird cooch posted:

Also seen this happen from a B52 sitting in air park at a base.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

today is trumps bday

twitter is calling for it to be national john mccain day instead

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

today is trumps bday

Got 'em #resistance #ImpeachDrufmp

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

today is trumps bday

is there a way to retroactively revoke it after trump is out of office? because lol at celebrating that piece of poo poo.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hey guess what, turns out this guy 1) matched the description of a robbery suspect that was pointed out by the people he robbed to a passing by officer, who was the first female officer that we see, 2) a 911 call was put out simultaneously that a robbery had occurred and the suspect described matched this guy, and the 911 caller stated that weapons were possibly involved 3) it turns out that this guy did, in fact, commit that robbery!

https://hawthornepolice.com/press-releases-1/arrest-06-07-19

Also turns out that the dumb idiot filming (who made the situation worse, and could have gotten herself killed in the cross fire if the guy pulled a weapon, and made it so that the guy couldn't hear the officer's commands, making the situation way worse) talking about her boyfriend that was killed, well... he was apparently killed trying to pull the gun out of an officers holster. Not exactly an innocent guy.

This guy is mostly a conservative tool but he does good breakdowns of viral videos like this (and he has some hilarious vids on Sovereign Citizens). His breakdown on this video gives some much needed additional context. https://youtu.be/IH-omnFcA8k

Turns out, maybe you should educate yourself before condemning police actions based on short videos where you have next to no context, and where you have no knowledge of police procedures. Turns out, every situation is different, and it's always a good idea to wait for additional context before you protest a dude's arrest or death, when you have no clue what happened, an investigation hasn't even started yet, and there's no bodycam footage yet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hey guess what, turns out this guy 1) matched the description of a robbery suspect that was pointed out by the people he robbed to a passing by officer, who was the first female officer that we see, 2) a 911 call was put out simultaneously that a robbery had occurred and the suspect described matched this guy, and the 911 caller stated that weapons were possibly involved 3) it turns out that this guy did, in fact, commit that robbery!

https://hawthornepolice.com/press-releases-1/arrest-06-07-19

Also turns out that the dumb idiot filming (who made the situation worse, and could have gotten herself killed in the cross fire if the guy pulled a weapon, and made it so that the guy couldn't hear the officer's commands, making the situation way worse) talking about her boyfriend that was killed, well... he was apparently killed trying to pull the gun out of an officers holster. Not exactly an innocent guy.

This guy is mostly a conservative tool but he does good breakdowns of viral videos like this (and he has some hilarious vids on Sovereign Citizens). His breakdown on this video gives some much needed additional context. https://youtu.be/IH-omnFcA8k

Turns out, maybe you should educate yourself before condemning police actions based on short videos where you have next to no context, and where you have no knowledge of police procedures. Turns out, every situation is different, and it's always a good idea to wait for additional context before you protest a dude's arrest or death, when you have no clue what happened, an investigation hasn't even started yet, and there's no bodycam footage yet.

He could’ve been Jack the Ripper. They didn’t need that many weapons trained on an unarmed man on his knees. It’s excessive and increases the chance of needless bloodshed.

But nevermind. *~*they were no angels*~*