Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've had a pretty good run, 30 years and only 5 jobs. They all have their ups and downs, but I love what I do and have fit in pretty well at each of them. My current situation has a great commute and great perks like no dress code and a flexible schedule, and I get to design and build cool machines. The salary was a large cut from my last job but I was desperate and it's enough to live on without radically adjusting my lifestyle. It's a small company so sometimes our equipment and furniture is old and worn out, and there's heavy nepotism here with a couple employees that don't pull their weight, but we just bitch about those things at lunch and move on. Overall happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Reacon posted:

Anybody on here own a weapon (Y60/61 Patrol/Maverick)?

Exploring engine swap options. About to bring my '92 back with me to the States and I just can't imagine having 9 mpg anymore, as reliable the TB42 is. I think I'll make a thread on it.

Barra six :australia:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

But did Dave get his van unstuck

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

No use worrying about it until it happens, I guess (and if you can figure out how to do that, let me know.)
In any case, it's highly likely us computer-touchers will always have a job, even if it doesn't always pay the best, even when everything moves to the butt cloud (any day now!)

Hah, after seeing what happened to the IT team of one the companies I know of that went full cloud... they had to put on MORE staff.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

angryrobots posted:

But did Dave get his van unstuck

Inquiring minds want to know.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Sgt Fox posted:

Inquiring minds want to know.

Not yet!

Neighbor wasn’t home the next day and I didn’t have tow strap. Bought one that night but then it rained for 2 days. Didn’t want to tear up the yard more than I had to. Got nice and took the opportunity to clean up the Delica and get it registered and up for sale. Will pull the Fargo out when I get back from being out of town with the kids Fathers Day weekend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Reacon posted:

Anybody on here own a weapon (Y60/61 Patrol/Maverick)?

Exploring engine swap options. About to bring my '92 back with me to the States and I just can't imagine having 9 mpg anymore, as reliable the TB42 is. I think I'll make a thread on it.

There’s a BMW swap (M57 I think) that’s fairly well documented, I think you can buy conversion parts from some Polish company.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

You Am I posted:

Barra six :australia:

I reckon that's as :australia: as it gets mate. It's no Nissan but all religions are created first by blasphemy right? Maybe it's time to convert.

I don't know the legality of getting one in the States though. It seems it's at least possible at least.

slothrop posted:

There’s a BMW swap (M57 I think) that’s fairly well documented, I think you can buy conversion parts from some Polish company.

Wow... My first reaction- pure and utter repulsion. Morbid curiosity had me Google this, and I'm getting a very weird boner now. Help.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everdave posted:

Not yet!

Neighbor wasn’t home the next day and I didn’t have tow strap. Bought one that night but then it rained for 2 days. Didn’t want to tear up the yard more than I had to. Got nice and took the opportunity to clean up the Delica and get it registered and up for sale. Will pull the Fargo out when I get back from being out of town with the kids Fathers Day weekend.

I was kind of hoping this ended with you buying a recovery vehicle from Japan :v:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I love losing sleep due to my dumb brain obsessing over hypothetical arguments with my family. Not looking forward to having to spend time with the family for Father's Day, which kinda sucks because my dad generally owns, but the rest of my family are assholes and won't stop needling me ever since they miraculously "discovered" that I was never a Republican about 6 months ago. My dad's a lifelong conservative, but he's mostly intelligent, not racist, and talks politics as little as possible. While the rest of them were whining and complaining (and still do) about me being a Democrat, my father took the stance of "I don't care which side you're on, as long as you're getting out there and voting or doing something. The rest of them turn it into a poo poo show though. A shining example, Mother's Day, the second time my girlfriend had spent time with my family ever.

Mother, to my girlfriend: "Well, I hope you're not a Democrat too, otherwise you'll be offended by all of the stuff we say."
Sister: "Don't worry, some day they'll grow up and turn into Republicans."
BIL, in the background, unrelated: "...but no, I'm genuinely happy they released the Obama Christmas tree ornaments, I really am! Now I can finally hang a n**** from my tree!"

I took that as our cue to make a hasty exit, and I'll save my girlfriend the trouble of having to listen to that garbage again for as long as I can.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

T-Square posted:

BIL, in the background, unrelated: "...but no, I'm genuinely happy they released the Obama Christmas tree ornaments, I really am! Now I can finally hang a n**** from my tree!"

That's a big 'ol yikes from me...

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Reacon posted:

Wow... My first reaction- pure and utter repulsion. Morbid curiosity had me Google this, and I'm getting a very weird boner now. Help.

If condition persists more than four hours, please consult your mechanic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I stubbed my toe really fuckin hard today.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I stubbed my toe really fuckin hard today.

What happened to the composite toes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jonny Nox posted:

What happened to the composite toes?

I wasn't part of boot chat andf it happened at home anyways.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno: so last night I had already put on my composite toe shoes :smuggo: before leaving for work. GF walked up to give me a kiss before I left... barefoot. Then she yelled "OUCH WHAT THE gently caress? WHAT THE gently caress IS YOUR SHOE MADE OF?!"

I didn't even realize she'd stubbed her toe(s) on my shoe. Didn't feel it at all (also holy crap using a clutch with these heavy boats is... different)

Job chat. I'm only 2 weeks in, and it's weird having to punch a timeclock again, but I'm liking it so far.

I've been kinda cagey about admitting even what retail industry it is after the last time I mentioned a job, but I think I feel safe in saying I now work for an employee-owned grocery store. I like the people I work with, it seems like there's a lot of upward mobility available if you work hard, the pay is decent, and if I can get converted to full time, the benefits are great. One of the guys I work with has only been there 3 months, and they're already offering to make him a lead (he's also already averaging over 40 hours a week), but overnight has such high turnover that they're grateful to find anybody that will stick around. The work isn't bad, people just can't handle the hours. My only issue so far is falling asleep by 1-2pm - I have a shitload more energy now.

I've dropped 5 pounds already, and from keeping an eye on my sugar, it looks like I may be able to cut down on, if not eliminate, one of my diabetes medications entirely. I can't take it with whatever meal I have before work, otherwise my sugar drops into the 40s or 50s before our lunch break (even with me taking a snack to eat during breaks). The physical work feels good, the only thing really bothering me is my foot arches (and I have some insoles on the way that will hopefully help).

T-Square posted:

Mother, to my girlfriend: "Well, I hope you're not a Democrat too, otherwise you'll be offended by all of the stuff we say."

I took that as our cue to make a hasty exit, and I'll save my girlfriend the trouble of having to listen to that garbage again for as long as I can.

So my stepdad's family is from east Texas. I don't mean an actual city like Tyler or Longview. I mean a little town called Snook. It's a very small town, and his family is pretty well known there.

Stepdad's brother and SIL came to visit one time, to see Billy Graham at Texas Stadium. I dropped by to say hi, since I hadn't seen them in several years. I heard his brother bitching about "those loving n*** in front of us wouldn't sit down, WE COULDN'T SEE BILLY!!!!1!". I turned around and walked right out the door. They saw me walk in, I was just about to say hi when they did that. Mom told me she had a hard time not laughing her rear end off when they couldn't figure out why I left without saying anything.

As much as my stepdad and I butt heads, as much as he can be a grade A dick... at least he doesn't blurt too many racial insults (both mom and him will bitch about "those drat Mexicans" all day... hey guess what my GF is 100% Mexican by birth, but apparently it doesn't count because she was adopted by a white American 2 days after she was born?). These days it's my mother that's more likely to drop racist crap, but doesn't drop obvious racial slurs (except against Hispanics).

Meanwhile my stepmom is not only Hispanic, but 15 years younger than my dad. :haw: Hoooooo boy, mom haaaaaates all of that. And my aunt on my dad's side is married to someone significantly older than her, also of a different race (Japanese). Mom has never approved of that for some reason, but she hasn't been a part of that family since the divorce in 1982.

My mom and stepdad are polite to my GF, but my mother is extremely passive-aggressive when talking to her. Not racist stuff, but trying to tell her what a "woman's place in the home" is. :wtc: GF and I butt heads a lot, you guys all know I'm unhappy, but we're stuck for now, and our roles are somewhat reversed compared to what people my mother's age are used to - I do the bulk of the cleaning around the house (except laundry, we split that), we both make about the same amount of money, we both work full time, and we split all of the common bills down the middle. My dad and stepmom welcome GF with open arms whenever she's in town to visit her mother, and take both of them out to eat (and dad has always liked her mom as a friend - GF and I have known each other since HS, and dated briefly back then, so my family has known her mom for a long time).

Oh yeah... mom bleeds far right. GF bleeds far left. I consider myself liberal, she makes me look almost conservative. But we respect each other's views, and almost always vote the same (local elections are about the only thing we vote differently on). I always joke with mom than GF and I are cancelling out her and stepdad's votes. Well, it's a joke to me anyway...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 14, 2019

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
My wife just got accepted into the best NP program in the area!

Flying real dang high today, friends

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Yeah, my girlfriend is black. I'd have to fight basically all of yalls families if they spouted off that racist poo poo in my face. We as a country should be better than that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

I love losing sleep due to my dumb brain obsessing over hypothetical arguments with my family. Not looking forward to having to spend time with the family for Father's Day, which kinda sucks because my dad generally owns, but the rest of my family are assholes and won't stop needling me ever since they miraculously "discovered" that I was never a Republican about 6 months ago. My dad's a lifelong conservative, but he's mostly intelligent, not racist, and talks politics as little as possible. While the rest of them were whining and complaining (and still do) about me being a Democrat, my father took the stance of "I don't care which side you're on, as long as you're getting out there and voting or doing something. The rest of them turn it into a poo poo show though. A shining example, Mother's Day, the second time my girlfriend had spent time with my family ever.

I can't imagine being defined like that by your own family. Like that's all that matters? What "side" you're on? How about having some perspective on life other than politics, there's a novel idea.

Also if anyone I knew said anything like your BIL did I would call them out immediately and tell them to go gently caress off, family get together or not. I have zero tolerance for racism and cannot keep my mouth shut.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My Dad is a republican but he knows his kids are not so he never discusses politics with us.

My wife's family are all horrible though, racist, homophobic and TrumpThumping. Everyone except her step mom and half sisters that is. They're the best people in the whole clan. So as long as I avoid the extended family we don't have any conflicts and it's great. My mom is a whackadoo spiritualist who has encouraged us to love everyone and anyone since we were kids.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Indiana

Makes sense. :v:

My dad is a "moderate republican", but when asked to explain, he says he's fiscally conservative, but socially liberal. I'm socially liberal, and kinda centrist fiscally.

Mom claims "libertarian". But she gets 99% of her news from Fox News (at least she hasn't discovered One America News yet...). And anytime I bring up anything opposing her world views, she claims the source I got it from is owned by George Soros. :wtc: She even claims I need to change my car insurance because Soros influences them (seriously, he influences Geico?!?).

Mom and I share a DirecTV Now account... which always starts playing the last-viewed channel for the next person. It always pops up with Fox News when I load it after not using it for a bit, so I make sure to leave it on MSNBC for her. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 14, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I use that term for a reason. Putting a K on it would just be too obvious.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I wasn't part of boot chat andf it happened at home anyways.

:doh:

piss boner
May 17, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My wife

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Yeah, my girlfriend

Remembering all the different birthdays and various anniversaries must be difficult.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dear insane people,

I need your advice. This year I need to replace my car and because I’m insane I’m eyeballing the 2019 Mazda 3. Once I saw it for the first time, I thought ‘Man that’s ugly’. And then I loved it. I’ve got some offers from the dealers but am doubting between the engines. That’s what I need help with.

The 3 comes with a naturally aspirated Skyactive G engine, which is a 120hp/213Nm engine that gets a combined 5.2l/100km. I can also get the new Skyactive X engine, which is 180hp/224Nm, and gets 4.4l/100km. The deal about that engine is that it can do compression ignition on the highway, and supposedly also has a supercharger. The Skyactive X costs 3k more, but comes with some swanky upgrades like the nicer rims.

Economically, the X would actually make sense for me. Because I drive a lot and fuel is expensive, at the end of ownership it’ll have been cheaper than the G engine, with the swanky wheels on top. And I’m kind of anal about my driving and fuel efficiency, so it speaks to that.

In terms of fun: the X engine is more powerful, too. That might be nice, since the Skyactive G isn’t the fastest (accelerating from 0 to 100kmh in ~10s). But would you actually notice those extra 11Nm? Sure, from 120hp to 180hp sounds a lot, but the torque only goes from 213 to 224. Is that actually a noticeable difference?

The other thing that worries me is that it’s a new engine. I usually baby the cars I drive, but who knows how this fancy engine will hold up after 5, 7, or 10 years.

So, what should I do?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My wife just got accepted into the best NP program in the area!

Flying real dang high today, friends

I don’t know what NP abbreviates, but from context, loving congrats. I know what it’s like to have an SO who is applying for programs and I bet it’s a huge weight off your collective minds!

Enjoy it, have a nice dinner and a couple of wines before the real hard work starts!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

T-Square posted:

Family terrors

STR posted:

Family terrors

Oh gently caress, I know this one. I have family that make my face red with rage about things they say. At some point I was getting sick of internalizing that anger and had a big loving shouting match. I don't like to insult and belittle family members but at least after that I wasn't hearing poo poo anymore.

I also had a partner whose family was the one with the bigoted opinions. I got along with the dad, but not so much with the rest of the lot. They tended to vocally explain to you, and expect you to agree with, what they think about you, and the gays, brown people, and people who finished school, or in some cases just held a steady job. You can only keep your mouth shut for so long. In that family, I became the elitist rear end in a top hat who thought of them as idiot hillybillies (that is correct). At least they shut up with their patronizing tone.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

slothrop posted:

I don’t know what NP abbreviates, but from context, loving congrats. I know what it’s like to have an SO who is applying for programs and I bet it’s a huge weight off your collective minds!

Enjoy it, have a nice dinner and a couple of wines before the real hard work starts!

I think Nurse Practitioner, which is pretty awesome

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Yeah, my girlfriend is black. I'd have to fight basically all of yalls families if they spouted off that racist poo poo in my face. We as a country should be better than that.

The Missus is the only brown person in my extended family and she used to get teased a bit, but she got a whole bunch of poo poo from my sister about it. My sister used to wear Confederate flags and be pretty lovely, but she's gotten so much better over the years, I'm proud of her. Strangely enough, my super racist grandpa, who actually said that the only thing wrong with hanging nooses in trees was that they weren't full of niggers, absolutely loved the missus :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And to continue the streak, the IRS has accepted the terms my account submitted, knocking $3000 off my owed taxes from 2013. With that finally settled I can get this paid off and stop worrying about future tax problems.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lord Stimperor posted:

Dear insane people,

I need your advice. This year I need to replace my car and because I’m insane I’m eyeballing the 2019 Mazda 3. Once I saw it for the first time, I thought ‘Man that’s ugly’. And then I loved it. I’ve got some offers from the dealers but am doubting between the engines. That’s what I need help with.

The 3 comes with a naturally aspirated Skyactive G engine, which is a 120hp/213Nm engine that gets a combined 5.2l/100km. I can also get the new Skyactive X engine, which is 180hp/224Nm, and gets 4.4l/100km. The deal about that engine is that it can do compression ignition on the highway, and supposedly also has a supercharger. The Skyactive X costs 3k more, but comes with some swanky upgrades like the nicer rims.

Economically, the X would actually make sense for me. Because I drive a lot and fuel is expensive, at the end of ownership it’ll have been cheaper than the G engine, with the swanky wheels on top. And I’m kind of anal about my driving and fuel efficiency, so it speaks to that.

In terms of fun: the X engine is more powerful, too. That might be nice, since the Skyactive G isn’t the fastest (accelerating from 0 to 100kmh in ~10s). But would you actually notice those extra 11Nm? Sure, from 120hp to 180hp sounds a lot, but the torque only goes from 213 to 224. Is that actually a noticeable difference?

The other thing that worries me is that it’s a new engine. I usually baby the cars I drive, but who knows how this fancy engine will hold up after 5, 7, or 10 years.

So, what should I do?

I don't see a choice there.

Rhyno posted:

And to continue the streak, the IRS has accepted the terms my account submitted, knocking $3000 off my owed taxes from 2013. With that finally settled I can get this paid off and stop worrying about future tax problems.

Everything's coming up Rhyno. :toot:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit, I should have tried negotiating a bit with them. My 2017 taxes left me owing less than $200. 2018 left me owing over $1600. I made slightly more for 2018, but had more writeoffs/deductions; it wound up being about a $1500 difference in net income. I have a $200/month IRS payment that loving stings (on top of $300/mo worth of student loans).

I'm probably gonna bite the bullet and see if I can get a 6 month hardship deferment on my federal loans, that'll leave me with just Sallie Bitch (which is all of $85/mo).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a thriving Amazon store in 2012-13 and they reported an insane dollar amount as profits I made. Been fighting with them over this for years.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So do Americans not get tax refunds? Or are the people here just in weird jobs?

It seems like the IRS is a major debt source in the states, and that seems weird to me.

America has a basic minimum deduction, right?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

It seems like the IRS is a major debt source in the states, and that seems weird to me.

Yes but if you're considered an "independent contractor" then your "employer" doesn't have to pay several taxes they normally would. Things also get weird if you're considered a business like in Rhynos case. We do have a standard deduction.

American taxes are deliberately obscure and confusing to prop up H&R Block and Intuit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yup. And in my case, I've been an "independent contractor" for several years. An IC has to pay employee and employer taxes; the self employment tax doesn't change regardless of your deductions (it's based on gross income), but your personal income tax can be eliminated pretty easily. Get too aggressive with your deductions and you get audited (and sometimes wind up having to pay quite a bit more, with interest... but occasionally they discover they owe YOU money, with interest.... you have to treat recordkeeping as if you're running a full blown business).

I owed $0 in personal taxes; all of my debt is "self employment tax".

There are a LOT of companies that attempt to classify employees as ICs in the US. The one I did most of my delivery work for is very carefully skirting that line. The one my mom works for doesn't give two fucks; they're employees, expected to be in the store, scheduled with no say in it. Mom realized recently how badly she got burned when she found out she owes nearly $8k in taxes. Mom is their accountant.... and used to be married to my dad, who's a CPA. You'd think she would have figured out she was getting hosed 5 ways from Sunday a bit sooner. :laffo:

In my case, I get free* access to TurboTax Self Employed every year, because I'm technically a driver for Uber. I only qualify for Uber Eats orders (they don't like coupes, they also don't like 2+2 cars, they especially don't like cars with body damage or cars that smell like dead hookers). I don't even take enough Uber Eats orders for them to issue me a 1099 (even in the years I did, Uber uses funny math to decide who gets a 1099 - they do "pass through" for most of the fees to cut down on what counts toward a 1099). I'll certainly accept Uber's generosity in paying for TurboTax Self Employed in exchange for me making $20 off of 50 deliveries through an entire year...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 14, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I just got hosed repeatedly over it. Normally I got a grand or so back. That year they said I owed $9K.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Porsche update!

https://www.driveshare.com/car/2031/

Gonna rent it and use ALL of the 200 mile allowance going to Skyline Drive and back.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jonny Nox posted:

With the changes to taxes this year I didn't update my witholdings and ended up owing for the first time ever. Sure didn't feel like a "tax break." :chaostrump:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo?!?

I was hired for overnights. Up until a few minutes ago, my schedule for next week was showing "see manager" (acceptable since the schedule doesn't actually post until noon). I was hired for overnights - 10pm-7am normally.

I have a 10am to 7pm shift thrown in. First shift of the week, and it's the one day we don't get a truck (we just work backstock on that day), but it's outside of my written availability. I can roll with it, but I'm gonna wind up dropping :20bux: on coffee to get through the day. I don't touch caffeine in general, so if I'm hitting coffee, you know I'm desperate. I'm hoping it's a fat-fingered AM/PM, we'll see when I look at the paper schedule tomorrow.

The rest of the week is all frozen - guess they were desperate enough to like me over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

God I wish I could do that with my state. I got screwed by some under-reporting of taxes for my business, probably $3-4k and hey I screwed up. They went through and "calculated" the missing months and all the sudden they came up with I owe $12k. Just totally bogus ridiculous absurdity, and I'm paying it off on a 3 year plan. Just totally screwing the small business guy. A millionaire would have a lawyer just make all this go away. What they calculated just has no basis in reality. And either pay it or get your business shut down.