Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
S O O N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Nasgate posted:

Similarly, grinding iron backs and metamorph in w2

The best thing for Geos (otherwise) is letting you easily take out Skull Eaters for their 5AP without worrying about things like their absurd defense. Or that they will murder you. Yeah, they can flee and you'd get the AP that way but the only good use for a Geo is to make it even easier.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

How intensive is the all jobs patch? Does it just activate all jobs sooner change the NeoExdeath sprite and that's it? I'm curious how feasibly it can be attached to a rom that's already been patched once.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Some Guy TT posted:

How intensive is the all jobs patch? Does it just activate all jobs sooner change the NeoExdeath sprite and that's it? I'm curious how feasibly it can be attached to a rom that's already been patched once.

Yeah the fiesta patch unlocks all the jobs at once and makes NED festive, and that's it. It works just fine with the soundtrack fix patch, so I figure it should work with other patches, though I figure Can of Worms would know best there.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

DalaranJ posted:

Hmm, it looks like Gilgabot did a series of twitter votes earlier in the year, so it might actually be based on that. If so, the most likely results will be Blue Mage, Time Mage, Summoner, White Mage. Leans very 750 heavy, although Samurai was reasonably popular.

That's probably gonna have something to do with winner.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Screw The Run. Everyone should start at the same time. Nobody wants to watch nerds try to speed run the game. We all want to be nerds playing the game!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kheldarn posted:

Screw The Run. Everyone should start at the same time. Nobody wants to watch nerds try to speed run the game. We all want to be nerds playing the game!

I want to watch nerds try to speed run the game.

Maybe this year I'll just do The Run at the same time as the speedrunners but give myself fastforward and see if I can beat them. I would not beat them

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dragondarch's utter refusal to take assistance or criticism combined with his oddball, surreal, frequently counterintuitive strategies (that oddly enough work better than Kyrosiris wants to admit sometimes) make him oddly compelling to watch throughout the leadup.

At least when he gets sleep the night before. Sleep-deprived DD trying to do Blue Mage math and Chemist inventory management was just depressing for everyone involved.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

The best thing for Geos (otherwise) is letting you easily take out Skull Eaters for their 5AP without worrying about things like their absurd defense. Or that they will murder you. Yeah, they can flee and you'd get the AP that way but the only good use for a Geo is to make it even easier.

Eh, they're still fast and strong enough to kill someone before you can !gaia

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The boss of the island temple doesn't counter Wind Slash even though it's a multi-target attack. That makes him a lot less painful to beat with a Geomancer on your team than a lot of other configurations.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Say what you will about Geomancers, at least they aren't Dragoons.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

agradine posted:

Say what you will about Geomancers, at least they aren't Dragoons.

Dragoons are a bulky chassis to boltstrap whatever good skills you have onto and have the unique ability to avoid TKO abilities like Almagest if timed right.

Dragoons are way better than Geomancers.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

Dragoons are a bulky chassis to boltstrap whatever good skills you have onto and have the unique ability to avoid TKO abilities like Almagest if timed right.

Dragoons are way better than Geomancers.

Well yeah, of course Dragoons are better than Geomancers. Every job is better than Geomancer. Dragoons are just really boring

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Please Geos are really good on some fights, even on NED they get an AOE wind ability you can boost with Air Knives. Dragoons are just there unless youre doing gimmicky four man dragoon jump parties on your own time.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Ah, yes, that terrifying ender-of-runs Wendigo. Is there any reason for a Geomancer to even go there?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

Please Geos are really good on some fights, even on NED they get an AOE wind ability you can boost with Air Knives. Dragoons are just there unless youre doing gimmicky four man dragoon jump parties on your own time.

Jumping Almagest / Tidal Wave and then rezzing the fallen is a tactic I've used, and they can obviously kill Grand Cross and Shinryu really fast. The ability to hold an Aegis Shield should not be underestimated.

Anyway stop making me defend Dragoons I am not fond of them either.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
I just can't hate on Geomancer after I got Dual Cast in W1 last year thanks to squirrel farming. :allears: Cheap and easy Byblos was great too!

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Whyyyyyyyyyy

You already have Red, W1 is free

That post is painful for me

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I mean, it's a testament for the quality of the design of the game that Geomancer is the worst class, because while it is the worst, it's also far from worthless.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

derra posted:

Whyyyyyyyyyy

You already have Red, W1 is free

That post is painful for me

I did it because it was fun and I could. :colbert:

I was pretty surprised at how useful Geomancer was after all the bad rep it had here and wanted to make the most of it. I had Knight and Time Mage as well so it's not like I was struggling.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

KataraniSword posted:

Dragondarch's utter refusal to take assistance or criticism combined with his oddball, surreal, frequently counterintuitive strategies (that oddly enough work better than Kyrosiris wants to admit sometimes) make him oddly compelling to watch throughout the leadup.

At least when he gets sleep the night before. Sleep-deprived DD trying to do Blue Mage math and Chemist inventory management was just depressing for everyone involved.

Yeah say what you will about dd but he always keeps things funny

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My very first Fiesta back in 2017 had a Geomancer, as did the last one I finished last year. '17 was Geomancer, Red Mage, Knight, Mystic Knight, and last year was Thief, Berserker, Geomancer, Chemist.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

derra posted:

Ah, yes, that terrifying ender-of-runs Wendigo. Is there any reason for a Geomancer to even go there?

No, if you have four Geomancers, there's no reason to do the Island Temple. But you probably have other jobs too.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I tend to do stuff after the pyramid only if I have 2 Aegis Shield users these days, or if Holy would be literally my entire offense. Maybe Flare for Flare Sword.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
I look forward to beating up a fuckin tree at least once a year.

On some run I ended up in a situation where I had to have four Berserkers against LiquidFlame. IIRC it was berserkerrisk and pure chaos, getting a zerk as one of my jobs and an earth crystal job that I couldn't access yet for my other one. Fun times.

This time around, I might buy all of the worst jobs (per crystal?) via the "job fair" for my run. I don't know offhand what they are but I imagine they're the cheapest ones. If I do a second one I'll reroll at the start of W2 and W3.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Assuming the prices stay the same as last year, the cheapest team at the Job Fair will be Thief or Monk/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon. Not great by any means, but Beastmaster can carry you through a lot of rough spots.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Berserker is one of the best classes you can get in no750 because they give no fucks about the clapperclaw.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

It seems like the really useful cheat sheet got deleted at some point, is there a new one that wasn't put into this year's opening post or is it just gone?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Admiral Joeslop started a replacement for it but it's not as complete as the old one unfortunately.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I keep hoping someone will pop up with a copy they made and we can just crib all the useful info in but alas.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not sure if there were any changes made to it after I made this copy in 2015, but I have one. Unless we're talking about a different document?

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I'm curious about trying this out this year, some quick questions from a total FF5 newbie (only played FF6, FF8 and some of FF7 before)

1. The way I understand it, throughout FF5 you collect crystals that allow you to reclass your party members, and the challenge is to allow the Gilgabot to select which classes you take? I don't mind a challenging first run, just want to be sure I do it right. The game makes it perfectly clear when to do this, right?

2. From my research, it seems the best version of FF5 is the GBA one with the music restoration patch? Is that best to start with?

3. Is the default challenge the best for a beginner?

Thanks!

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 15, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Miles McCloud posted:

I'm curious about trying this out this year, some quick questions from a total FF5 newbie (only played FF6, FF8 and some of FF7 before)

1. The way I understand it, throughout FF5 you collect crystals that allow you to reclass your party members, and the challenge is to allow the Gilgabot to select which classes you take? I don't mind a challenging first run, just want to be sure I do it right. The game makes it perfectly clear when to do this, right?

2. From my research, it seems the best version of FF5 is the GBA one with the music restoration patch? Is that best to start with?

3. Is the default challenge the best for a beginner?

Thanks!

Yes for all of those.

The only hiccup for 1. is that the Fire Crystal jobs are split a bit. You get the first three (Ninja, Geomancer, Beastmaster), and then you get the last two (Bard, Ranger) after the next dungeon, so if you roll one of those you’ll stick with your Wind and Water jobs until you actually unlock them.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Way to go!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You're the hero we need AND deserve.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Miles McCloud posted:

You get a certain set of jobs from each crystal, and Gilgabot tells you which ones you can use. You have to limit yourself to those jobs, and keep at least one person in each job you've unlocked at all times.

For instance, if you roll Knight/Time Mage/Ninja/Dancer, then you'll have four Knights after the wind crystal, some mix of Knights and Time Mages after the water crystal, and one person in each of Knight, Ninja and Time Mage plus someone else in one of those three after the fire crystal. Then after you reach the earth crystal, you'll be required to have one of each at all times.

There are a couple points later on where you don't have all your party members, and the rule there is just no duplicates and no other jobs.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
I might go Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer, and Dancer for a "bad jobs" run. I don't want to put up with Berserker's poo poo. Among lithe things, it's not fun to resort to killing off a character to avoid counterattacks. There are some decent skills there (Equip Ribbons, HP+x%, maybe Barehanded?) so at least it seems interesting enough to get creative with.

Overall I foresee a decent W1 and a slogfest for the rest of the game. :suicide:

I'll probably register #purechaos even though I'm buying my classes. Maybe some other modifiers too. Because if my League of Substitute Heros becomes totally tedious and not fun I reserve the right to abandon the whole thing and just reroll :colbert:

blinking beacon nose fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 15, 2019

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Thanks for the info! I think I understand now. I'll register and get the GBA rom going on my CFW Switch.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1140003349237915648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Found this earlier today. Goodnight, Gilgamesh: https://youtu.be/l_Y1NwrtIhc