Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If you want this game to be a challenge, turn on permadeath and play as Yves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nep-Nep posted:

If you want this game to be a challenge, turn on permadeath and play as Yves.

Whats different about Yves?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Augus posted:

Whats different about Yves?

Seems to max out at 1 heart container, shoulder button ability is to hide in the ground, can't use most weapons (not sure if any?).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Help I keep blowing myself up with Din's Fire.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
:same:

It does count as a bomb blast so if you have that ring that protects you from explosions you're safe while using it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Has anyone determined whether or not there really is a fifth character?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frankston posted:

Yeah the rings & boots & torches didn't really make a blind bit of difference to how I was playing and a lot of the time I didn't even notice if I didn't have any equipped. A lot of the unlockable items seemed pointless too: Rito feather, the deku leaf, fire and ice rods in particular. Also the flippers which I didn't get until after I beat the game.

Playable characters chat:

Who is the 5th pc? I have Link, Zelda, Cadence and Deku scrub and there appears to be one more slot to fill.

I can't imagine how you say half those items are pointless. the feather alone lets you take hilarious shortcuts

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine how you say half those items are pointless. the feather alone lets you take hilarious shortcuts

Not to mention how insanely overpowered it is once you get the down thrust, since you can jump on an enemy and then just jump from head to head completely invulnerable :haw:

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!

Your Computer posted:

Not to mention how insanely overpowered it is once you get the down thrust, since you can jump on an enemy and then just jump from head to head completely invulnerable :haw:

So about this item in question I found the feather decently early but was never really able to make good use out of it for shortcuts. The jumping mechanic never seemed to work in a way I expected to so I unequipped. Though I got the down thrust very late but I could set least see the synergy with that even though I didn't get to use much

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Trinexx posted:

So about this item in question I found the feather decently early but was never really able to make good use out of it for shortcuts. The jumping mechanic never seemed to work in a way I expected to so I unequipped. Though I got the down thrust very late but I could set least see the synergy with that even though I didn't get to use much

Same here, though I'm still going through my run. How do you make the jump actually jump in a useful way? Do you have to charge it or something?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Same here, though I'm still going through my run. How do you make the jump actually jump in a useful way? Do you have to charge it or something?
well, if you've got the down thrust you can jump on top of an enemy and use it a springboard, you can skip a lot of stuff using that

unrelated: I saw some people saying that you need rumble for this game because of the Lost Woods - I played with rumble turned off and it just changes the Tingle Dowser to make sound instead. You do not need rumble :eng101: also I went through the place before getting the item anyway...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I got a Permadeath win! :toot:

2 hours and 17 minutes, 4th best out of 8 in the world who have completed it as Cadence.

A lot like the regular game, once you get a titanium weapon and a couple bottles you're *mostly* set, but I still came pretty close to losing several times.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 14, 2019

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Elvis_Maximus posted:

This item didn't work at all like I figured it was supposed to (and really like everyone would've assumed).

Instead of it being like the Roc's Feather, it doesn't give you a jump. It's a "dodge". So you just use it to dodge an attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also gives a jump. You can use it to hop up certain rocks without doing associated puzzles

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah at first I thought it was useless because I couldn't use it to jump up areas where you'd usually use rock steps but it actually gives you a halfstep jump which means you can use it to jump on a step that you would otherwise end up pushing, so it helps with a couple puzzles.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Game fukken owns.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Ok so I feel totally lost in this game. Once you pick your character, what the gently caress do I do? I just feel like I'm wandering aimlessly. I haven't found any dungeons yet. I know the maps are random, so you can't tell me exactly what to do, but which dungeon should I hit first? Where is it generally located, like what area.

I'll take any nudge in the right direction.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ok so I feel totally lost in this game. Once you pick your character, what the gently caress do I do? I just feel like I'm wandering aimlessly. I haven't found any dungeons yet. I know the maps are random, so you can't tell me exactly what to do, but which dungeon should I hit first? Where is it generally located, like what area.

the map fills in as you explore it so as long as you're exploring around you won't really get "lost"

as for the dungeons, they're in the swamp, death mountain, the desert and near the castle

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I could listen to the File Select screen for ages :allears:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you find a house with a big eye on it you can get your fortune told by the old lady inside and she will mark a dungeon on the map for you. However, if you want items just look around for purple chests, or blue ones if you are looking for a weapon.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

2p mode is not great, because one of the two heroes doesn’t start with a weapon. And that’s incredibly frustrating.

Otherwise I love it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Imo, the Boomerang is the worst item for Link. Don't pick it up in dungeon unless you have a better choice.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Playing this through on permadeath after my first time through and yep, this is definitely how its supposed to be played. :unsmigghh:

I hope this does well for the indie studio behind this, I haven't seen much discussion about it at all...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not sure if this was intentional or not but it sure felt like a callback.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ElatedDoubtfulSpiderMVGame

Started my first seeded run and stuff is way more different than I expected. I thought that the predetermined overworld tiles would be shuffled around but it looks like all the tiles themselves are randomized too. Seems like a ton of replay value if you're into that sort of thing.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I really wish they had put more uses for diamonds in the game, a dedicated restocking weapon shop would have done wonders, especially when you only really find a ton of worthless feeling glass. The fact that you can have up to 3 full heals that prevent death and a lot of hp makes it feel extra eh.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
After beating the game with no problems I started the single character mode as the deku scrub and this is more than challenging enough. I keep dying over and over again, in true necrodancer fashion. I love it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I finished my first run of this missing a single heart piece and so far I've wasted four hours trying to figure out what I could have missed.

Edit: I guess that I shouldn't assume it's even possible to get 100% items on every run. Some of those heart pieces came from shops, so maybe there's randomness to that too.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 15, 2019

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Messed around with single character permadeath mode last night and if anyone was worried this game wouldn't be hard that's definitely gonna do it, nothing like wandering a few screens away from the start and encountering a black lynel

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I cannot stop moving my scroll wheel to the beat of the music even after I put the game down. Game is fantastic, music is great. It's a bit short, but that's fine.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I got to octavo last night at the end of my first run and died for the first time since I got a proper weapon.

what on Earth are you supposed to do about the musical notes? They're color coded so I assume you're supposed to swap characters to get through each wave?

The part that confused me was definitely when it started mixing the waves together

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The answer to the question under the spoiler is yes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I died to the glockenspeil boss a few times and Octavio once before I figured out the spoilered text. I kind of am wishing the rest of the bosses were up to the glockenspiel level - I pretty much blinked and the bass guitar boss was dead and the oboe boss I thought was phase 1 of a bigger fight.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game is great but it also makes me want to go back and play more Necrodancer. I could never make it past like the second boss in that game. Fortunately Nintendo selling it for $4 right now pretty much makes this a no brainer.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Permadeath mode seems to have a higher base level of difficulty than regular, or maybe it's the difference between story and single-character. The shops are twice as expensive and late-game palette swaps were spawning right from the start.

I got a couple of hours into a run today and It also has pallete swapped tougher versions of the bosses. Hopefully they add a way to play with all of that stuff in regular story mode as a middle ground difficulty.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RyokoTK posted:

Permadeath mode seems to have a higher base level of difficulty than regular, or maybe it's the difference between story and single-character. The shops are twice as expensive and late-game palette swaps were spawning right from the start. Getting a palette-swapped Lynel in the first screen right of Link's house was a bit of an eye-opener.

I beat the regular game with four total deaths but I've died at least ten times without even finding a single weapon or completing a heart container. It's tough.
that explains it, I did feel like it was a lot harder

which is to say... I made it more than 2 screens only once in half a dozen attempts

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think that might just be a part of how it's seeded. The main story mode is very specifically tuned for difficulty and item location, but if you in put a random seed it switches everything up. During my first seeded normal playthrough I was seeing enemies that I never even saw while playing the default story mode.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

For those of you who said it's a super short and easy game, I assume you come onboard with a shitload of Necrodancer experience? 'Cause I'm at 4 hours and like 49 deaths and haven't got one dungeon finished yet. Slowly getting attack patterns down.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I didn't have much Necrodancer experience, mainly it's because it's very easy to get the snowball rolling once you start finding/buying the right stuff. And once you get set up you can finish the entire rest of the game real fast. Also it helps if you keep exploring, I kept beating my head into one side of the map and it turns out that the entire other 50% of the map was way easier than any of the tiles I was trying.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Remember that red potions will save you just like fairies in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

PirateDentist posted:

For those of you who said it's a super short and easy game, I assume you come onboard with a shitload of Necrodancer experience? 'Cause I'm at 4 hours and like 49 deaths and haven't got one dungeon finished yet. Slowly getting attack patterns down.

Never played Necrodancer but for me this game went from nut bustingly difficult at the start to being almost disappointingly easy once I got an Obsidian Spear.

I’m still having an absolute blast with the game but I’m hoping it gets a bit more challenging without having to artificially gimp myself by using a different weapon.