Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Reality Sinner posted:

How are they still so bad at this

the PBE is complete dogshit and virtually worthless. have you played in the PBE before? it is the worst poo poo. people are trolling every game that you somehow manage to get in to because 95% of lobbies get dodged when one of the 10 players who only logged on to play the new champion does not get to play the new champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They could help that by just making new characters/reworks unable to be played in ranked for a couple weeks.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

pog boyfriend posted:

the PBE is complete dogshit and virtually worthless. have you played in the PBE before? it is the worst poo poo. people are trolling every game that you somehow manage to get in to because 95% of lobbies get dodged when one of the 10 players who only logged on to play the new champion does not get to play the new champion
That, plus from experience teams in Riot are notoriously bad at communicating or paying attention to one another so the PBE team might be screaming at the top of their lungs they need to fix a couple things the entire cycle, the balance team might end up ignoring it until it ships to live and manages to ruin actual ranked

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

They could help that by just making new characters/reworks unable to be played in ranked for a couple weeks.

But then you can’t get meaningful data on how strong the champ is, so the fixes to power level will come much later (probably after the champ is... released to ranked)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They could hire good players to form internal testing teams with their Olympic swimming pools full of cash, but that would require putting in real effort.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The Shortest Path posted:

They could hire good players to form internal testing teams with their Olympic swimming pools full of cash, but that would require putting in real effort.
They do/did at one point and they stopped doing it when they realized nothing they said mattered

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

But then you can’t get meaningful data on how strong the champ is, so the fixes to power level will come much later (probably after the champ is... released to ranked)

Show your numbers.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

Show your numbers.

What numbers do you expect me to show here to prove a hypothetical

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Champions are balanced around a complicated metric that takes into account various broad areas of the ranked ecosystem. It is impossible to effectively balance a champion for ranked without that champion being played in ranked. Even if you could get a high enough volume of data from Normals (and I doubt that you could, considering it's not even a selectable mode in most of the major regions aside from Blind Pick), its quality would be atrocious and would give you no meaningful framework that you could use to adjust a new champion.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

Champions are balanced around a complicated metric that takes into account various broad areas of the ranked ecosystem. It is impossible to effectively balance a champion for ranked without that champion being played in ranked. Even if you could get a high enough volume of data from Normals (and I doubt that you could, considering it's not even a selectable mode in most of the major regions aside from Blind Pick), its quality would be atrocious and would give you no meaningful framework that you could use to adjust a new champion.

champions are balanced around magic and nobody knows how riot balances stuff. they have like 4-5 metrics that they arbitrarily weigh for different levels of play that they try to balance and get into a decent spectrum so someone can be balanced for pro play and iron or something. it doesnt work and it doesnt make sense and we should just accept that it is basically like some guy randomly throwing numbers at a wall. also, as an aside, i heard this amazing new song the other day

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
league is perfectly balanced

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Verviticus posted:

league is perfectly balanced

sees zoes win rate below 60% and sadly chuckles shaking my head and walking away into the fog

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
League is perfectly bala- *Zed explodes me in half a second*

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Anidav posted:

League is perfectly bala- *Zed explodes me in half a second*

don’t be beside him

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just stay in base, the perfect start.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

champions are balanced around magic and nobody knows how riot balances stuff. they have like 4-5 metrics that they arbitrarily weigh for different levels of play that they try to balance and get into a decent spectrum so someone can be balanced for pro play and iron or something. it doesnt work and it doesnt make sense and we should just accept that it is basically like some guy randomly throwing numbers at a wall. also, as an aside, i heard this amazing new song the other day

i was gonna say that they made this champ intentionally stupid cause they're doing the dumb gimmick where they live tweet what theyre doing with a patch cycle or whatever to make it seem like they do a lot of Big Thinking but i think that gives them too much credit

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Verviticus posted:

don’t be beside him

*shadow jumps across half the lane and ult ignites you under tower*

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I imagine Zed and Darius players live quite a mixed life between the fun zone and ban zone.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Verviticus posted:

id much rather them release a champ thats too strong that gets swift changes over the next couple weeks than a champion thats weak and gets incremental buffs over the next three months

This is the correct attitude to have y’all.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Midig posted:

I imagine Zed and Darius players live quite a mixed life between the fun zone and ban zone.

Depends what level you're at I'd say. I picked up darius kinda recently and have only been banned out a couple times when I wanted to play him. He's not as much of a terror as he once was. Sure, he beats the poo poo out of most melee 1v1 but teams can kite him easy enough and if you counter pick him he won't be doing much. Id hope that at higher levels teams are smart enough not to dogpile him later when he's quite tanky and can full heal if he hits 3 people with a Q. He's a bit of a noob stomper.

Zed on the other hand can die in a fire.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Les Affaires posted:

Yesterday I didn’t have time to sit and work out a valid counter strategy and every game i queued for either had somebody in my team (trying to) choose him or the opposite team did so. Lots and lots of dodging as people who wanted him didn’t get him.

I instabanned him one game and my top lane spat the dummy insisting i gank him as jungle all the time to make up for it.

That’s all the evidence i need to keep justifying banning him.

You banned your own team members pick and he's the childish one?

Speaking on mord himself, he most certainly is broken as gently caress but also INCREDIBLY fun. Even with the inevitable nerf stick coming in, I can see me making him my new main.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

once again i am proven right. at this point it is a cursed existence

Shut up Cassandra.

Remembering back, their worst balance oversight in the entire lifespan of the game was when they added red-smite as on-hit added true damage but didn't account for how that might effect warwick's ult and did a extra 300 true damage at level 6, he had a 60% winrate that patch.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 14, 2019

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Verviticus posted:

id much rather them release a champ thats too strong that gets swift changes over the next couple weeks than a champion thats weak and gets incremental buffs over the next three months

You forgot to add the part where that weak champ ends up being an enormous balance issue for months after because of all those buffs

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSM5Vmqs480

zed is the best champion ingrates

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

at least you got the first letter right.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently one can QSS or Gangplank orange, etc out of Morde ult.
Hilarious if true (haven't had time to test this, heard it at work)

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Cage Kicker posted:

Apparently one can QSS or Gangplank orange, etc out of Morde ult.
Hilarious if true (haven't had time to test this, heard it at work)

Yep, I had an ADC teammate who rushed QSS and it was real funny to watch him wink out of existence and then suddenly reappear surrounded by QSS particle effects

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I gotta say, jokes aside League is pretty well maintained, especially when they added 4 more bans to solo queue so you can remove your most recent pet peeve champion.

I feel that you can basically get good at any champion and win more games just off skill and matchup knowledge even if they aren't popular.

It's this aspect of league I like the most, where it's hard to create a comp that has no win conditions.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Just got to play against Morde as Yorick. Actually not too bad a matchup. Yorick's sustain is overall better than Morde's and your ability to trade with ghouls usually gets you out of the worst of his damage. That said, you don't get Maiden while you're in the death zone, so you gotta play keep away with him. Definitely max W second against him.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Would Banshee's work against Morde, too?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bell_ posted:

Would Banshee's work against Morde, too?

Morgana's spell shield does so I'd assume so

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

el dingo posted:

Depends what level you're at I'd say. I picked up darius kinda recently and have only been banned out a couple times when I wanted to play him. He's not as much of a terror as he once was.

Zed on the other hand can die in a fire.

44 Percent banrate. Low.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Midig fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 14, 2019

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

eh? it looks like his ban rate goes down as you get higher cos at diamond+ the rate is much lower(diamond+ is 24.8%). very strange

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Shut up Cassandra.

Now I know why you keep chanting Ra on your name.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

pog boyfriend posted:

eh? it looks like his ban rate goes down as you get higher cos at diamond+ the rate is much lower(diamond+ is 24.8%). very strange

hmm. this must say something about the champ

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I can confirm that QSS does work on Mord ult and that it pisses them right off. I wanted to try out banshees too but he stopped trying it on me after I QSS'd the first 2.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

So he is stuck in ult or does it toss both of you out?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Lol play new Morde before he gets a yuge nerf! holy poo poo that’s fun

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Good luck getting getting him without him being banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Midig posted:

So he is stuck in ult or does it toss both of you out?

you both instantly blink out.