Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

I'm not saying they planted the mines, for all anyone knows they could have spotted the mine and decided to take it for their own analysis. You're the one jumping to conclusions here, not me. Also, "this is fake because it doesn't fit my worldview" is a pretty dumb take.

Actually a really dumb take would be assuming that the Iranians would launch an illogical attack that is detrimental to their national interest just because US intelligence says that's what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A Typical Goon posted:

Actually a really dumb take would be assuming that the Iranians would launch an illogical attack that is detrimental to their national interest just because US intelligence says that's what happened

Can you point to me where I said that?

Meanwhile the president of the company who owns the Kokuka Courageous had this to say:

https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1139451546654183424

quote:

One of the tankers that were attacked in the Gulf of Oman was struck by a flying object, the ship’s Japanese operator said on Friday, disputing at least part of the account of United States officials who had blamed Iran for the attack.

“Our crew said that the ship was attacked by a flying object,” said Yutaka Katada, the president of the operator, Kokuka Sangyo.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday that American intelligence agencies had concluded that Tehran was behind the disabling of two tankers in the Gulf of Oman, a vital conduit for much of the world’s oil. Senior American officials had already blamed Iran for similar attacks last month against four tankers in the same area. Iranian officials denied any involvement in the events, which have escalated tensions in the region.

American officials released video on Thursday that the they said showed an Iranian boat crew removing a limpet mine attached to the hull of the damaged Kokuka Courageous, a tanker operated by Kokuka Sangyo.

But Mr. Katada, citing accounts from the ship’s crew, said: “I do not think there was a time bomb or an object attached to the side of the ship.”

Which obviously doesn't help make things any clearer. Hopefully the Iranians present what they removed from the side of the boat.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

And apparently the ship was flying a Panamanian flag, not a Japanese flag, so if (IF) (IFFF) it was the iranians the meeting with Abe wouldnt technically affect this "operation".

My biggest question here is what the Iranians would win with this. Or, even regarding alliances, what would the Russians win with this? Oil or gas prices rising?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A Typical Goon posted:

Why would they have to do that, it seems pretty drat obvious that the video is fake news.

Who benefits from Iran planting bombs in the straight of Hormuz? Iran certainly doesn't, but it's drat welcome across the ocean for the people that have been calling for war for months. Funny how that works out

If Iran did do it, they were definitely banking on people thinking stuff like this. You can't speak authoritatively about what their motives are. All you can do is wildly speculate. How about you just chill the gently caress out and wait for some more details. This all pales in comparison to the bomb plot at the NCRI rally in Paris, and not a drat thing happened over that.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if this is an iranian op (which seems unlikely) it's probably some wacko hardline faction of the Guards who want to keep up tensions with the USA to shore up domestic support. that might also explain the reticence of the iranians in coming up with an explanation, because until they've quashed these maniacs any lie they feed might be undermined by a leak, and admitting that your armed forces are going around doing their own ops is a big no-no

still think a saudi or random terrorist group is more likely culpable though

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

if this is an iranian op (which seems unlikely) it's probably some wacko hardline faction of the Guards who want to keep up tensions with the USA to shore up domestic support. that might also explain the reticence of the iranians in coming up with an explanation, because until they've quashed these maniacs any lie they feed might be undermined by a leak, and admitting that your armed forces are going around doing their own ops is a big no-no

still think a saudi or random terrorist group is more likely culpable though

I could see it as a warning for what escalated tensions mean, and lashing out at the current state of rhetoric and sanctions. It doesn't take much plausible deniability to paralyze the west when it comes to politicized attacks like this, so there's a grey area there where all signs could point to Iran for those observing all of the evidence, but in the general public perception, and therefore in government policy, they would not seen as responsible or held accountable. If they did do it, I'd imagine it would be out of a sense of "don't forget what we're capable of, and what the consequences can be if you decide to gently caress with us/don't cut this poo poo out." That being said, in lieu of more evidence, I'm not convinced they did it either. We'll see what the next few days bring.

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla
What comes to the possible motivations for Iran to do this, two things come to mind:

1) Internal disagreement between hardliners and reformists. Iran is not entirely united as a politically body and there could be real attempts to provoke a conflict by "rogue" actors

2) A knowing demonstration of capability. Cause non-fatal damage with plausible deniability for the sake of reminding that it is possible to close down the strait

Not to say that it couldn't be a sophisticated false flag, a Houthi operation or just plain old stupidity.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Volkerball posted:

I could see it as a warning for what escalated tensions mean, and lashing out at the current state of rhetoric and sanctions. It doesn't take much plausible deniability to paralyze the west when it comes to politicized attacks like this, so there's a grey area there where all signs could point to Iran for those observing all of the evidence, but in the general public perception, and therefore in government policy, they would not seen as responsible or held accountable. If they did do it, I'd imagine it would be out of a sense of "don't forget what we're capable of, and what the consequences can be if you decide to gently caress with us/don't cut this poo poo out." That being said, in lieu of more evidence, I'm not convinced they did it either. We'll see what the next few days bring.

i really don't think that iran of all countries is going to get much benefit of the doubt tbh, banking on that seems completely demented - i can see iranian hardline military types doing this, but this would be insanely risky at a time where the US has been very pointedly rattling sabers in their direction and has an unpopular and unscrupulous president seeking reelection, and neither rouhani nor khamenei are insane

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

i really don't think that iran of all countries is going to get much benefit of the doubt tbh, banking on that seems completely demented - i can see iranian hardline military types doing this, but this would be insanely risky at a time where the US has been very pointedly rattling sabers in their direction and has an unpopular and unscrupulous president seeking reelection, and neither rouhani nor khamenei are insane

I don't think it would really matter what country it is. It isn't about trusting Iran, it's about distrusting the US and its allies governments. That's a powerful tool, although Iran still could've miscalculated, or not done enough to cover their tracks. But we'll see. Hard to imagine uniformed Iranian regulars being directly involved in this.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeaaaah i think you're enormously overestimating the political impact of skepticism towards american motives - the invasion of iraq on entirely specious grounds should have put paid to that

much of NATO would join simply out of inertia, like they did in afghanistan or libya

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Seeing how Iran was one of the first on the scene to rescue crew members, they should be able to present their own evidence in the matter.

A detailed timeline would be interesting here.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

much of NATO would join simply out of inertia, like they did in afghanistan or libya

Nah. It was European countries that dragged the US into Libya, and Afghanistan was considerably different because the US invoked Article 5. France famously sat out Iraq, and the UK voting to sit out of any conflict with Syria was part of why Obama didn't attack the regime after they used chemical weapons. Maybe we could get some countries to send token forces, but Trump isn't the most persuasive American leader, the Europeans blame us for withdrawing from the Iran deal, and the UK is even more bogged down with their own domestic bullshit now, so it's hard to imagine them jumping into another unpopular war they'd mostly think is our fault on top of all that.

FWIW I think the unpopularity of a new war in the Middle East will keep the US from a major conflict with Iran too, which is why Trump keeps kneecapping the hardliners, though his short attention span and desire to appear tough are dangerous since continually ramping up tensions can lead to an accidental war.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

A Typical Goon posted:

Good username post combo.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Sinteres posted:

Nah. It was European countries that dragged the US into Libya, and Afghanistan was considerably different because the US invoked Article 5. France famously sat out Iraq, and the UK voting to sit out of any conflict with Syria was part of why Obama didn't attack the regime after they used chemical weapons. Maybe we could get some countries to send token forces, but Trump isn't the most persuasive American leader, the Europeans blame us for withdrawing from the Iran deal, and the UK is even more bogged down with their own domestic bullshit now, so it's hard to imagine them jumping into another unpopular war they'd mostly think is our fault on top of all that.

FWIW I think the unpopularity of a new war in the Middle East will keep the US from a major conflict with Iran too, which is why Trump keeps kneecapping the hardliners, though his short attention span and desire to appear tough are dangerous since continually ramping up tensions can lead to an accidental war.

libya was a french pet op to start with, and yet mysteriously countries like norway and denmark got on board once the americans took over ownership of it

also iraq was conducted on the basis of outright and transparent falsehood and still dragged half of europe in with it, if anything it demonstrates how possible it is for the US to mobilise for war even on entirely specious grounds

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

libya was a french pet op to start with, and yet mysteriously countries like norway and denmark got on board once the americans took over ownership of it

also iraq was conducted on the basis of outright and transparent falsehood and still dragged half of europe in with it, if anything it demonstrates how possible it is for the US to mobilise for war even on entirely specious grounds

Iraq is why we can't do that anymore. Yeah, we conned a bunch of people into our stupid war we lost, and nobody wants to do that again. Also UN authorization had a lot to do with why European countries got on board in Libya, even if the campaign obviously ended up going well beyond the cover that authorization was meant to provide. Russia and China aren't approving a war with Iran.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe it's the aliens behind those UFOs that the US government has been hiding all this time and is now letting its retired personnel openly talking about for whatever reason. :shrug:

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe it's the aliens behind those UFOs that the US government has been hiding all this time and is now letting its retired personnel openly talking about for whatever reason. :shrug:

I really hope for the ETs that they have more advanced technology than partly malfunctioning limpet mines...which apparently have been placed waay too high to actually sink the ships.

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 14, 2019

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

It's a false flag, how much more obvious could it be

- The video shows "a mine being removed" from the port side of the ship
- The damage is on the starboard side
- Which is the side facing Arabia, not Iran
- Which is where the crew reported the flying objects which caused the impacts coming from

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A Typical Goon posted:

Why is this petty political slap-fight between inbred nobles and religious fanatics not being handled in a logical manner???
:goonsay:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
When has Iran ever acted irrationally self-destructive before?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
the latter years of Nader Shah?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Its government is ostensibly headed by dudes taking their instructions from an imaginary friend.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 14, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Sinteres posted:

Iraq is why we can't do that anymore. Yeah, we conned a bunch of people into our stupid war we lost, and nobody wants to do that again. Also UN authorization had a lot to do with why European countries got on board in Libya, even if the campaign obviously ended up going well beyond the cover that authorization was meant to provide. Russia and China aren't approving a war with Iran.

our participation (norway) was framed at the time explicitly in terms of being a 'good ally' and the UN mandate was used mostly to quash leftist objections to the intervention rather than a justification in itself; this from a country that sat iraq out, with the left in government

it's still framed as being a good ally in terms of what we actually achieved. nobody much likes talking about it

the point being, NATO is not much weakened and its junior members are still as spineless as ever. go to war with a semi-plausible cause and they'd fall in line, if not to the point of active participation then at least tolerating it with token objections and logistics support

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
I might be just a dumb goon, but how does a mine end up on the sides of a ship way above the waterline?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Luckyellow posted:

I might be just a dumb goon, but how does a mine end up on the sides of a ship way above the waterline?
Someone puts it there.

Limpet mines are generally magnetic and attached by hand or with an ROV. They're a sabotage weapon.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I doubt it's a false flag, at least not one ordered by high-level authorities. Generally the idea behind false flag attacks is to do something extremely provocative, fabricate evidence that can conclusively blame it on the other side, and then rush to war before other actors can figure out what is going on, as in the Nazi false flag on the Polish border to kick off WWII. It doesn't make sense to do with drip-drip-drip of non-fatal attacks on neutral shipping. If it is a false-flag its by someone without the resources to go all the way.

so, the saudis

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Isn't it the same way folks like John Bolton think it's a good idea?

They believe in the long run they'll win and the cost while incredibly high will be worth it.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Its government is ostensibly headed by dudes taking their instructions from an imaginary friend.

They dont appear millenarian enough to risk their fiefdom though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tab8715 posted:

They believe in the long run they'll win and the cost while incredibly high will be worth it.

John Bolton thinks that Iran will be paying that cost. Casualties into the hundreds of thousands but all on one side. None of these people are particularly smart/cunning/intelligent.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Luckyellow posted:

I can only think it would be put there specifically to cause superficial damage but to not sink the boat. I have no idea how big the explosion would be though so it's just speculation.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jippa posted:

I can only think it would be put there specifically to cause superficial damage but to not sink the boat. I have no idea how big the explosion would be though so it's just speculation.
Where the waterline is changes based on loading and other factors. Attaching a limpet mine to a ship underwater also takes a lot more sophistication, especially if the ship is moving. Rolling up in a speedboat at night and slapping a couple on the side is comparatively simple.

And anything big enough to sink a tanker by flooding would almost certainly be too heavy to manhandle into place from a small boat.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

So now the reports are that a mine didn’t cause the damage but a flying object. Then that video is high suspect. Where did it come from?

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 14, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Relevant Tangent posted:

John Bolton thinks that Iran will be paying that cost. Casualties into the hundreds of thousands but all on one side. None of these people are particularly smart/cunning/intelligent.

think they’re idiots too but they are true believers.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Raccooon posted:

So now the reports are that a mine didn’t cause the damage but a flying object. Then that video is high suspect. Where did it come from?

Per the Washington Post, it was released by CENTCOM.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Raccooon posted:

Maybe an RPG. Any ship to ship missile is doing more damage than that unless you get an unexploded missile flying through the hull, and then you have a fire similar to the Stark.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

Maybe an RPG. Any ship to ship missile is doing more damage than that unless you get an unexploded missile flying through the hull, and then you have a fire similar to the Stark.
Or a small UAV with a shaped charge. The Houthis in particular have been pretty sophisticated with things like that but I imagine it isn't beyond the capabilities of any of the better-funded non-state actors who like blowing poo poo up around the Gulf.

Although I'm still fairly skeptical of the flying object theory since eye witnesses don't have the best record when it comes to why things suddenly exploded in the dark, and the story is only coming from one company spokesman at this point.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Raccooon posted:

The video and photographs were attached to this statement from US CENTCOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5rZeMqvZ9g

Kinda weird the "mine" in the two photos is a near perfect equilateral triangle.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 14, 2019

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Tab8715 posted:

John Bolton doesn't have to worry about an existential threat to the US government from the war. At absolute best for Iran it leads to the US having to turn tail. They can't gain anything from a war with the US.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It's plausible that a war with Iran is the last straw for America as world police or whatever we're calling ourselves two decades into a Forever War. It could easily disgust our allies enough that they just refuse to work with us on anything in the future, spell the end of the Five Eyes agreements etc. Iran wouldn't win directly, but being the cause of the collapse of American hegemony is probably a victory they'd take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
After the failure of INSTEX, I'm absolutely certain Iran wouldn't be rolling the dice on war and pinning their hopes on the Europeans meaningfully breaking from the US.