Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

There Bias Two posted:

I think the objection was more that there won't be many scenarios where, when human input is needed, a person will have time to react given an alert from the system. Split second emergencies requiring human intervention are much more common on the ground than in the air.

And with aircraft you have air traffic control entirely by humans that are ensuring everything runs smoothly and with established flight plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Self driving cars will be a privilege for the rich to avoid the consequences of their own stupidity

They might crush a few pedestrians but hey gotta break some omelettes or whatever the gently caress

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Virtual reality is pretty cool. I may be biased because it features in my job, but it's got a lot of untapped potential and there's finally enough of it in high enough quality to get good experimentation going. Might still flop like in the 1990's, but I'm cautiously optimistic. :unsmith:

Honest questions:

1. What kinda applications (besides gaming, obviously) does it have, realistically? That's something that's bugged me about the current crop of VR stuff - it all seems cool, but what would anyone do with it?

2. It, obviously, has accessibility as a non-priority at the moment. Is anyone working on making the tech accessible to the disabled? Can it be made accessible? That might limit adoption, as a practical matter.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Companies are using it for corporate training. Don't know if it works better than just watching a normal video.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
well how much did they pay for it?

(also who did they pay for it)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ponzicar posted:

Is there anywhere in the US where it's actually normal to go the posted speed limit?

Maryland.

I was working in Baltimore during 2016 and there were pickup trucks with speed-cams parked right off the freeway.

Heck when I did a year of graduate work at College Park (1980) the Maryland Highway Patrol was famous for enforcing the limits.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Bitcoin is a clear example of something stupid, doesn’t work well, has unsolvable problems and actual funny events associated, thread should be stuff like that, not “panic at every single new thing”

Bitcoin mining is offsetting gains made in solar power. Bitcoin mining accounts for about 0.2% of global electricity use.

Works well if you own natural gas/coal reserves.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Virtual reality is pretty cool. I may be biased because it features in my job, but it's got a lot of untapped potential and there's finally enough of it in high enough quality to get good experimentation going. Might still flop like in the 1990's, but I'm cautiously optimistic. :unsmith:

I co-founded a VR company in 2017, had an agreement to place our 360 experience stuff in museums worldwide. Soon after E3 2017, the VR hardware companies who had said they were going to fund this, stop funding titles.

I'm not working in VR at this time :-)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

Maryland.

I was working in Baltimore during 2016 and there were pickup trucks with speed-cams parked right off the freeway.

Heck when I did a year of graduate work at College Park (1980) the Maryland Highway Patrol was famous for enforcing the limits.

That's true. 695 is 55 limit and absolutely covered in speed cams.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

That's true. 695 is 55 limit and absolutely covered in speed cams.

Kinda sucked when Budget Rent-a-car would gift me a Mustang or BMW when I was paying Ford Fiesta rates.

But probably a good thing in hindsight.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Spacewolf posted:

Honest questions:

1. What kinda applications (besides gaming, obviously) does it have, realistically? That's something that's bugged me about the current crop of VR stuff - it all seems cool, but what would anyone do with it?

2. It, obviously, has accessibility as a non-priority at the moment. Is anyone working on making the tech accessible to the disabled? Can it be made accessible? That might limit adoption, as a practical matter.

Most military training sucks and is lovely. The reason it is lovely is due to being bound by budget, instructor, and imagination.

We get a VR Setup advanced enough and we can give a more accurate depiction of actual combat than running a patrol base and yelling bang bang bang. We need more than a controller and a headset to do so. You need to feel pain when you get shot to really give you a comprehensible education on being a war-fighter. training with bfas just doesnt do that. Throw soldiers in VR, with the right tools we get scenarios that would never be realistic enough in a real world training environment.

Special Services training is another potential source of big money VR.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Spacewolf posted:

Honest questions:

It seems really useful as a 3D learning/modelling tool, especially with improving student engagement.

Imagine learning about physiology magic school bus style by shrinking down in VR and going inside a person, or even down to the cellular level. You could manipulate models of systems, like simple machines or folded proteins, really intuitively with your hands.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

There Bias Two posted:

It seems really useful as a 3D learning/modelling tool, especially with improving student engagement.

There were things in the 90s that were talking about using VR for some therapies. Back then, I saw a video/report about how it might have been useful for helping people deal with arachnophobia.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
VR is really good at exposure therapy.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/integrative-mental-health-care/201711/virtual-reality-graded-exposure-therapy-vrget

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

Maryland.

I have some news for you...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spacewolf posted:

Honest questions:

I really don't think it's a good idea for me to say much more. But yeah, I'd say immersive training is definitely a big application. Haptics and finger positioning accuracy are the main limitations there when it comes to certain activities, we'll see if that ever gets resolved in a convenient way.

quote:

If anything I think people with some mobility disabilities could be a really good market for the right applications, although there definitely needs to be more work on more appropriate controllers for people with fine motor control issue. The gaming industry generally seems to be getting more and more into accessibility (there are more and more talks and demonstrations about it at GDC), and I can hope that the work on accessible controllers finds its way into inputs that address the particulars of VR.

Closed captioning for the hearing impaired is going to need some work in terms of having a good set of standards regarding positioning, but it's not otherwise technically difficult.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

VR has unparalleled potential to make Mark Zuckerberg look like a clueless idiot, which is really my favorite thing about VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-MkduVh0wM

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
VR seems like it's not really "for anything" but being mostly an entertainment medium, which is a totally fine thing for something to be. AR seems like it's the one that will change everything forever and at least shares a lot of technology with VR. So the benefit of VR is like, working out ultra high refresh rate close to the eye screens and eye tracking and HUD design and stuff so you can apply it to informational overlays on real life.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Schubalts posted:

There were things in the 90s that were talking about using VR for some therapies. Back then, I saw a video/report about how it might have been useful for helping people deal with arachnophobia.

Yeah, I've seen several articles and videos touting success treating fear of heights and agoraphobia with VR.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

duz posted:

Companies are using it for corporate training. Don't know if it works better than just watching a normal video.

This creeps me the gently caress out.

Last thing I want when I'm being bored out of my mind with corporate propaganda is someone standing in front of me, who I can't see or know is there, gauging my expressions.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I just moved to CT from Ohio last year and it really is jarring how different the freeways are. I-95 has sections where the limit is 50mph and the average speed is ~70. Enforcement is practically non-existent, I see a speed trap maybe once per month on my 30 mile round trip daily commute, and it's always the same silver Ford sedan. I've seen someone get pulled over exactly once. The cop was literally tailgating this guy at 80mph in a 65 zone. Had his lights on, but not flashing and so siren, as if to courteously warn him that "yes I am a cop and I am about to bust you unless you slow down." Twenty seconds later, he finally turns on the sirens and pulls the idiot over. You have to be powerfully stupid to actually get pulled over on the freeway in CT.

Worst part IMO is that the onramps are very short, such that it's impossible for most cars to match the flow of traffic by the time they merge. Sometimes you have to merge right after a hairpin turn which limits you to 35mph, but you still have to get up to at least 65mph within three seconds, otherwise cars are going to be swerving to avoid rear ending you.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

North of the city i live in is ticket city if you hit 80+ and south is insanely unenforced like people regularly go 90+for their entire 20-40 mile commute every day. Whats brcoming strange is the number of drones stationary above the hwys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't @Jack's current hobby starving himself to death just to feel something?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

(or if you don't want to speak for the thread, can you name a single plausible near future technology you personally might approve of or think might be okay?)

I'm excited for ITER to turn on in 2026. Is that not near or plausible enough? Or does it have to be something I will personally and immediately benefit from in some way?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't @Jack's current hobby starving himself to death just to feel something?

Yeah. Being rich has to be so weird in addition to being very nice.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

anonumos posted:

What the gently caress?

capitalism, bitch!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

I co-founded a VR company in 2017, had an agreement to place our 360 experience stuff in museums worldwide. Soon after E3 2017, the VR hardware companies who had said they were going to fund this, stop funding titles.

I'm not working in VR at this time :-)

There was a lot of hype for 360 VR experiences but they were never immersive and are something a lovely mobile phone and Google cardboard can do effectively so I'm not surprised they pulled out. Exhibiting lightfield captures or photogrammetry would maybe make more sense for a museum, as at least those can give a sense of being immersed in an environment or let people get physically up close to 3d scanned artifacts. Not as cheap or easy to capture though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MickeyFinn posted:

I'm excited for ITER to turn on in 2026. Is that not near or plausible enough? Or does it have to be something I will personally and immediately benefit from in some way?

Good, fusion is normally the biggest anti-science victory. Where the only acceptable position is "a guy said a quote once so it's the final word" then gloating you are so smart for pointing out fusion hasn't been solved while ignoring that there is very little large scale research for a majority of the time since the 60s that was actually funded and that the few projects that did get funding all make rapid progress.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Me, a smart person: lol fusion power has been 5 years away for the last 50 years

Also me: let’s put a literal trillion loving dollars a year into blowing up people and like a million or two into fusion

Don’t get me wrong, I think fission power R&D should have a higher priority than fusion because it’s already a proven technology and we need to make nuclear plants easier and cheaper and faster to build so we can build a shitload of them soon so we don’t all die of climate change, and stuff like LFTR would be really cool, but you can’t mock the advancement of fusion power - they had loving peanuts to work with

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

luxury handset posted:

self driving cars will be cool for the personal convenience of having or using a personal automobile without having to pay attention to operate it. but in terms of traffic, this just means you can ignore being in a traffic jam as you play angry birds or whatever on the center console. people want to come up with absurd extrapolations like fleet cars and zero parking cities because it's more visionary and inspiring to talk about what these technologies could do for society as a whole, rather than people being honest and saying "yeah it would be great because i can watch my shows during my auto commute" which sounds petty and self-interested and not exactly a game-changer breakthrough of incremental technology

too many self driving car advocates think that adding more cars to the roads will somehow cure traffic if the car is sufficiently magic and this should be as obvious as watching musks little dumb AGT car putter along a tunnel and thinking "wow this will solve precisely nothing"

Im sure it cant be only me that finds driving loving boring as hell though. Also turning a journey where youre stuck paying attention to the road into one where you could get work done would be a huge plus I reckon.
I think the ease of use would translate into more people taking longer journeys in cars really. That could change how people live their lives a bit. Maybe being stuck in a metal box more is a somewhat dystopian but with an improvement in peoples mobility, even if its just in terms of ease of use, could boost economic activity and peoples quality of life across the board (without mentioning people who are currently unable to drive)

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Pochoclo posted:

Don’t get me wrong, I think fission power R&D should have a higher priority than fusion because it’s already a proven technology and we need to make nuclear plants easier and cheaper and faster to build so we can build a shitload of them soon so we don’t all die of climate change, and stuff like LFTR would be really cool, but you can’t mock the advancement of fusion power - they had loving peanuts to work with

It doesn't help that fusion research was initially classified because of the usual red scare.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Im sure it cant be only me that finds driving loving boring as hell though. Also turning a journey where youre stuck paying attention to the road into one where you could get work done would be a huge plus I reckon.
I think the ease of use would translate into more people taking longer journeys in cars really. That could change how people live their lives a bit. Maybe being stuck in a metal box more is a somewhat dystopian but with an improvement in peoples mobility, even if its just in terms of ease of use, could boost economic activity and peoples quality of life across the board (without mentioning people who are currently unable to drive)

This is what I'm talking about when I say you don't say anything. luxury handset argues that self-driving cars are going to induce more demand for road use but the people in self-driving cars won't care because they won't have to pay attention. Your response is to say you don't like driving, agree with the premise of his argument and then appeal to a nebulous benefits such as "increased economic activity" and boosted "quality of life across the board."

You haven't described how these benefits will materialize, you haven't mentioned the climate implications for more driving, and you haven't mentioned what the productivity is. Is it getting work done in the car? How is this superior to working at the office or home? Do we need people to be productive in their cars? Why? Are we going to have another worker's revolution that leaves behind factory and retail workers, who can't work in their cars? There is plenty to discuss even in your fantasy of not having to pay attention while driving to/from work, but you leave it all out to say "yes, but I want."

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Surprise Giraffe posted:

And public transit will solve these problems far more efficiently but trains aren't sexy enough for technofetishists.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pochoclo posted:

Me, a smart person: lol fusion power has been 5 years away for the last 50 years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ryonguy posted:

And public transit will solve these problems far more efficiently but trains aren't sexy enough for technofetishists.

If there ever was a sign that techbros aren't even actually autistic

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
OOCC you quoted the part of his post that was correctly pointing out we've been told we're on the verge of having fusion power for a long loving time without bothering with the rest of the post, where he notes that fusion research is very poorly funded and has made great strides in spite of it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
techbro radium made my post of an image on imagur into an emptyquote?????

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Good, fusion is normally the biggest anti-science victory. Where the only acceptable position is "a guy said a quote once so it's the final word" then gloating you are so smart for pointing out fusion hasn't been solved while ignoring that there is very little large scale research for a majority of the time since the 60s that was actually funded and that the few projects that did get funding all make rapid progress.

Your point seems to be that driveless cars are receiving sufficient funding for 5 year (or whatever) to completion? How much funding is that? When everyone has a self driving car, how much money will have been spent? How does that compare to building public transportation? How does driveless car funding compare to the funding needed to do the same for fusion? What is the year-to-year funding level for fusion and which projects were not funded, so what did those unfunded projects not address?

Pochoclo at least makes a comparison that can be hidden behind. Of course fusion funding should have more money spent on it than bombs, and proven technology should be prioritized. They could also try to define "peanuts", I'd be curious what they think the funding schedule should be and that would affect the rate of progress.

Now for the part you're going to quote and ignore the rest. I think fusion would be great, and it absolutely should be funded at a higher level. Even with a trillion dollars a year it still would take 50+ years to make progress (the time scale you already admit is one on which progress has been made). Projects like ITER are extremely large, complex projects that take years to design, assemble and commission.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

techbro radium made my post of an image on imagur into an emptyquote?????

Radium is the true tech nightmare.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

taking longer trips in cars isn't really an improvement in mobility. americans regularly take very long trips in cars. road trips are a cultural thing here, sometimes people also just drive around for fun. self driving cars won't meaningfully change any aspect of this except for like ultra long commutes which is just exacerbating existing problems of sprawl, expensive housing, etc.

https://qz.com/1261344/booming-cities-are-fueling-the-rise-of-the-super-commuter/

quote:

A strong economy without more urban housing means miserable commutes for millions of people. About one in 18 commuters (roughly 2 million people) are so-called “super commuters,” people who travel an average of about two hours per day. That compares to an average of 26 minutes nationwide.

Apartment List analyzed 2005 and 2016 U.S. Census data to find cities with the highest share of long distance commuters. The results show that most of these people live in communities feeding three very expensive metropolitan areas: San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York. Nearby metros had the largest share of super commuters, although the phenomenon was also apparent in places as diverse as El Paso, Texas and North Port, Florida.

The problem is not just for the wealthy. The rising cost of living in cities is pushing lower and middle-class workers further away from jobs with many using public transit to travel more than 150 miles per day. The cities of Stockton, Modesto, and Sacramento serve San Francisco; Bridgeport, Connecticut, and Allentown, Pennsylvania, are housing New York City’s workers and relatively affordable Riverside is now a bedroom community for Los Angeles.

That takes a heavy toll. A 2008 paper in the Scandanavian Journal of Economics found “that people with long journeys to and from work are systematically worse off and report significantly lower subjective well-being,” wrote researchers. “For many people, commuting seems to be a stress that doesn’t pay off.”

and these people aren't going to work in their cars. they're going to sleep

the only part of your post that makes sense is that self driving cars would be good for mobility impaired people like children, the elderly, and some disabled folks like the blind. of course, so would more trains

in fact, there is nothing that self driving cars do that can't be appended with "of course, this could also be fixed with more trains" now that i think about it

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ryonguy posted:

What universe do you come from where nerds don't like trains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What universe do you come from where nerds don't like trains?

silicon valley nerds don't like existing things because they're not tied to the internet and/or don't have a private middleman to rent seek. this is why airbnb is "hotels, but with middlemen" and uber is "taxis, but with middlemen" and musk's death tunnels are "subways, but with middlemen"