Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is a really weird story as i really can't imagine them having a distantly relevant bill from microsoft. if they can save a buck that's great, but it has to be on the level of renegotiating what company cleans the toilets at their facilities in both cost and practical impact.

unless it's a mess of homebrew analysis tools built off excel macros or something equally hairy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol remember when Microsoft added support for offloading excel calculations to a supercomputer

mystes
May 31, 2006

it is a really weird story as i really can't imagine them having a distantly relevant bill from microsoft. if they can save a buck that's great, but it has to be on the level of renegotiating what company cleans the toilets at their facilities in both cost and practical impact.
It sounds like Microsoft was giving them a discount as an academic institution but decided that they are no longer eligible (probably because they're a research institution but not an educational institution like a college or whatever?), so CERN now has to pay the normal price everyone else pays and they're unhappy about that.

I'm sure CERN is pretty well funded and is also more than capable of not using Microsoft products if they feel like it so I have trouble caring too much.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol remember when Microsoft added support for offloading excel calculations to a supercomputer

yes.

i've actually been trying to convince someone to move their dataset to sql and just use excel for the analytics so they stop having several hundred megabyte excel files

it's harder than you'd think

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

yes.

i've actually been trying to convince someone to move their dataset to sql and just use excel for the analytics so they stop having several hundred megabyte excel files

it's harder than you'd think

are you pitching the excel integration properly though? because that is what makes that a proposition.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

I want live tiles and win10 start layout on my iphone. its so much better than the lovely icons dumped everywhere at random across multiple horizontal screens

live tiles are the single biggest user interface failure in the history of software [my career doesn't count] so good luck with that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

live tiles are the single biggest user interface failure in the history of software [my career doesn't count] so good luck with that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

idk how useful they are on the desktop, but they were great for the phone. plus if you had an app that didn't have a need for a live tile then its just a tile for that app. its so much better than the ios/android scattered trash pile of icons.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
glance screen was another really great feature that apple should immediately copy. (although that might also require a functional mail/calendar app)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Windows Phone was trash and rightfully flopped hard.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

idk how useful they are on the desktop, but they were great for the phone. plus if you had an app that didn't have a need for a live tile then its just a tile for that app. its so much better than the ios/android scattered trash pile of icons.
they failed soundly on the phone as well, despite approximately three billion dollars in marketing and another billion in "developer goodwill" which was more than apple and all android companies were spending on marketing combined windows phone failed to achieve significant market share anywhere including finland

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows phone failed because nobody wanted to migrate from android or ios and lose all their apps. it was way too late to the game. nobody could come out with a new mobile os now and make any dent in the market unless they do app compat with one of the existing platforms.

the only benefit of being late to the game was they could fix all the mistakes in the designs of the other oses.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

windows phone failed because nobody wanted to migrate from android or ios and lose all their apps. it was way too late to the game. nobody could come out with a new mobile os now and make any dent in the market unless they do app compat with one of the existing platforms.

the only benefit of being late to the game was they could fix all the mistakes in the designs of the other oses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

are you pitching the excel integration properly though? because that is what makes that a proposition.

i'm telling them every single time their poo poo explodes to stop using excel as a database and at least look at putting their dataset into mysql or something

this happens a lot

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i'm shortly going to be enrolled in a graduate class that is primarily just "this is how to use excel analytics tools"

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
you’re gonna love it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol upgraded to windows 1903 and it broke color management so right back to the previous build I go!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

akadajet posted:

lol upgraded to windows 1903 and it broke color management so right back to the previous build I go!
disabling fast startup fixes it lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

poor wee Microsoft, how could they compete in the phone market with bad old Apple and Google when those two guys had a head start of *checks notes* minus seven and minus eight years respectively

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
iphone was basically the jesus ascended to heaven moment of phones and represents year 0, with all mobile phones released prior being given a date like 4 BiP meaning 4 years before iphone or 2 AiP for 2 years after iphone

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the first iphone was an unusable piece of poo poo though

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

jesus WEP posted:

the first iphone was an unusable piece of poo poo though

and yet it swept the market 🤔

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if only some huge company had had seven years to make a good phone that people wanted! but no

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SupSuper posted:

disabling fast startup fixes it lol

lmbo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

iphone was basically the jesus ascended to heaven moment of phones and represents year 0, with all mobile phones released prior being given a date like 4 BiP meaning 4 years before iphone or 2 AiP for 2 years after iphone

i thought year 0 was jebus' birth, ascended was like 33 ad or something?

Boiled Water posted:

depending on who you ask around here, it did not.

mystes
May 31, 2006

i thought year 0 was jebus' birth, ascended was like 33 ad or something?
As with jebus, you have to give some leeway for people just making up numbers.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I’m still waiting for the third coming of Steve to deliver us from Tim

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I hope the father comes back and crucifies Tim on the $1000 stand

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

…depending on who you ask around here, it did not.

pls dont summon f*shm*ch

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

the 3gs was the first iphone that sold really well

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
whats lunix archduke up to these days

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

that's cause it was the first iphone that worked

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the first iphone also caused the market to be flooded with cheap low quality knockoffs (android devices)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Apple had to lover the price of the original Iphone after launch because it didn't sell well enough.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lambert posted:

Apple had to lover the price of the original Iphone after launch because it didn't sell well enough.

technology used to become cheaper over time, but apple has solved that recently.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
1955 CE in the gregorian calendar corresponds to 0 AS (aera stebe)

iphone came in the year 52 AS

stebe ascended in 56 AS

hth

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

i'm Ms Poopsockers

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

I think it was the first iphone with a full international launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
also when it dropped to $50 for a subsidized 3gs it was like game over for everything else pretty much.