Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Send them over to this place, IMO.

https://us.cnn.com/travel/article/ireland-arranmore-island-scli-intl/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Go post this in DnD somewhere, maybe the immigration thread if there is one. Then give me the link so I can watch the kicked-over anthill

By the time folks hear 60-70k they'll be halfway to Norway themselves.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
My 4 week vacation starts in 3 hours. Wrapped up all my short files, covered all the fires for my long files, and set my "I'm not responding to your emails" auto-reply and voicemail. Now I'm just watching the clock tick down to 5pm.

This is the longest 3 hours ever. :negative:

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

I am a US immigration lawyer for a nonprofit that exclusively does deportation defense and humanitarian work, AMA.

The situation is worse than you think it is.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tipps posted:

My 4 week vacation starts in 3 hours. Wrapped up all my short files, covered all the fires for my long files, and set my "I'm not responding to your emails" auto-reply and voicemail. Now I'm just watching the clock tick down to 5pm.

This is the longest 3 hours ever. :negative:

gently caress u

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

The Dagda posted:

I am a US immigration lawyer for a nonprofit that exclusively does deportation defense and humanitarian work, AMA.

The situation is worse than you think it is.

How much worse?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I'm done. I just dropped the post that will almost certainly get me my proby.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Hoshi posted:

How much worse?

It probably depends on how closely you follow the news on this kind of thing — some people are surprised that, eg, asylum seekers and other immigration detainees die pretty regularly in US custody, trans asylum seekers are held in solitary confinement as a policy, there’s no right to a bond hearing in many cases (ie the government can and does hold for months without a hearing of any kind to determine whether you’d be a flight risk on release, even for people who have lived peacefully in the US for years), and even for “regular” people with US citizen kids who pay taxes there’s often no legal relief of any kind. However, that’s all par for the course really.

I would say what’s new and doesn’t seem to get a lot of attention is the way that impunity and caprice on every level of the executive branch is blocking even the legal opportunities we used to have. Like ICE counsel refusing to produce charging documents in court so you don’t know what people are charged with, USCIS (the immigration agency) refusing to acknowledge settled state law that may affect your case, the attorney general unilaterally overturning favorable past case law, criminal prosecution for helping migrants, etc. It’s a bunch of “minor” capriciousness that adds up to a lot. Even if we ultimately win on a lawsuit against this stuff it takes years to resolve, and there’s no guarantee of a win anyway given all the Federalist Society types on the federal bench.

E: for example I can’t even begin to explain how psycho it feels to have to brief the issue of whether or not the New York Family Court, established by the courts of the state of New York, under the Family Court Act, which handles all juvenile, etc, matters and has for decades, is a family court with the authority to make dependency decisions for juveniles. It’s like sovereign citizen poo poo but the attorneys making the galaxy brain arguments work for the Department of Justice.

The Dagda fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 14, 2019

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

The Dagda posted:

I would say what’s new and doesn’t seem to get a lot of attention is the way that impunity and caprice on every level of the executive branch is blocking even the legal opportunities we used to have. Like ICE counsel refusing to produce charging documents in court so you don’t know what people are charged with, USCIS (the immigration agency) refusing to acknowledge settled state law that may affect your case, the attorney general unilaterally overturning favorable past case law, criminal prosecution for helping migrants, etc. It’s a bunch of “minor” capriciousness that adds up to a lot. Even if we ultimately win on a lawsuit against this stuff it takes years to resolve, and there’s no guarantee of a win anyway given all the Federalist Society types on the federal bench.

I genuinely get a feeling of nauseousness reading stuff like this.

Are the changes that you perceive just the top-down effect of strong personalities who hate brown people? Culmination of longer trend? Something else?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
In another timeline I took a DC job with ICE in 2015

(in that timeline Hillary Clinton won tho)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Go post this in DnD somewhere, maybe the immigration thread if there is one. Then give me the link so I can watch the kicked-over anthill

Phil Moscowitz posted:

gently caress no, I will never do anything to knowingly stoke anti-immigrant sentiment because for every rear end in a top hat that seeks private representation to essentially scam the state there's also a refugee in dire need and fully entitled to the protection and help of a proper welfare state. I would never try to disparage the former if there's a chance it would hurt the latter.

When I complain, I do so because some people are scamming our small country instead of staying in pretty safe places earning a bit less for more work and actually working to improve their own country, and in doing so steal resources better spent on extremely needful support for destitute war refugees. It's triage at this point, and assholes are cutting in line. It's very hard to tell the difference, and the system is not set up to do so quickly and efficiently. Instead, humanely, the system assumes everyone should get as much help as possible, which by itself is not bad. But right wingers are gaining ground with the perception that undeserving people are bleeding a generous society dry, and it's working - in my opinion - only because it's partially true. It pisses me off. It's also extremely hard to reform and investigate, because it's all a sliding scale from labour immigration, exploited migrant workers, welfare immigrants and refugees.

All I know is I can spot the assholes a mile away because they come in knowing the system about as well as I do, drat near with a script in hand, never missing a beat, demanding - never asking - and every time the same story. All the real cases usually are hooked up with immigration help clinics through immigration authorities in charge of refugees, who won't help the ones who don't qualify (non-refugees) and we never see those. Well, I did once, the aforementioned divorce case, that was a direct referral from them. That case felt great to fix.

Sorry about the formatting, phoneposting from the cabin.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

Ok, I'm done. I just dropped the post that will almost certainly get me my proby.

Could you just link or quote these things so I don't have to go to d&d.
Basically, I do this thread, law questions, car chat, and bike poo poo. With occasionally coffee or photo threads. And the Everest death thread because I love yuppie death.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
He didn't get banned. Take wasn't that spicy.

This is apparently what the thread is "about" now:

Nevvy Z posted:

It's weird how how many posts from people supposedly reading the thread assert that anyone ever said that Weinstein should get no legal counsel when in fact the consistent position has been that his wealth should not entitle him to counsel beyond that the average poor gets.

lmao

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891388&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
link the everest death thread immediately that poo poo is my fetish

e: I had no idea there was a hiking subforum

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 14, 2019

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

I genuinely get a feeling of nauseousness reading stuff like this.

Are the changes that you perceive just the top-down effect of strong personalities who hate brown people? Culmination of longer trend? Something else?

A bit of both probably. It’s clear that the worst faction of the Republican Party is at the helm in a way they weren’t before, which is the proximate cause of the sudden changes.

With that said, it wouldn’t be possible but for the preexisting dysfunctional nature of our institutions. Over the years Congress has delegated sweeping powers to the executive in the area of immigration, and the courts have upheld it. There’s one bad Scalia line from years ago that is something like “the due process owed to an alien is that which is given by Congress.” The courts’ ability to review the executive’s actions in immigration are highly restricted, by statute. So it is a legal regime that is predisposed to abuse in my opinion, as there’s few of the formal rights and judicial independence that criminal defendants receive. Like with a lot of other things in the US, we got by for many years with a semblance of small-l liberal normalcy because normal people in the system more-or-less respected the ideas of procedural fairness, individual rights, and so on. Now that there are a bunch of far right guys in power playing hardball, they have the institutional leeway to accomplish their goals because there are few legal defenses against them.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

The Dagda posted:

It’s like sovereign citizen poo poo but the attorneys making the galaxy brain arguments work for the Department of Justice.

I’ve got a pro bono SIJS case where the I-385 has been sitting with absolutely no response for years at this point. My requests for an update or for movement forward just go unanswered. It’s open and shut but the poor client just has to keep waiting. I don’t know if it’s better or worse than them trying to litigate it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I’ve got a pro bono SIJS case where the I-385 has been sitting with absolutely no response for years at this point. My requests for an update or for movement forward just go unanswered. It’s open and shut but the poor client just has to keep waiting. I don’t know if it’s better or worse than them trying to litigate it.

Can you not appeal this poo poo to some higher instance?

Where I live silence from the administration for X amount days is taken as a de facto denial of your request and thus enables an appeal to either whatever administrative branch your process falls under (so, for example, immigration requests are made to the Immigration Department which falls under the Ministry of the Interior so you'd appeal to that), or you can choose to go directly to the judiciary which is usually the right choice.

Silence in a judiciary proceeding is different but would eventually enable you to seek relief from the next instance.

Edit: I'm not saying this is some sort panacea because usually the higher instance will just kick it down again with a vague "warning", but you still would get some sort of movement.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Can you not appeal this poo poo to some higher instance?

No.

To be less flippant, the type of application he is talking about (Special Immigrant Juvenile Status for children who have been abused, abandoned, or neglected by a parent) cannot be appealed to a judge; there are administrative appeals but a delay is not a circumstance that warrants an administrative appeal. For some types of immigration relief you could file a writ of mandamus in court forcing the government to make a decision, but this is not one of those situations. The child does not have a right to have his application adjudicated.

The Dagda fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 14, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

In another timeline I took a DC job with ICE in 2015

(in that timeline Hillary Clinton won tho)

Hillary's solitary confinement cages would have had climate control!

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

One of my best friends practices immigration law and I regularly pick her brain when poo poo comes up with my cases.

Those conversations got a lot more depressing after 2016. She's leaving for civil practice because she couldn't take it anymore.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The Dagda posted:

A bit of both probably. It’s clear that the worst faction of the Republican Party is at the helm in a way they weren’t before, which is the proximate cause of the sudden changes.

With that said, it wouldn’t be possible but for the preexisting dysfunctional nature of our institutions. Over the years Congress has delegated sweeping powers to the executive in the area of immigration, and the courts have upheld it. There’s one bad Scalia line from years ago that is something like “the due process owed to an alien is that which is given by Congress.” The courts’ ability to review the executive’s actions in immigration are highly restricted, by statute. So it is a legal regime that is predisposed to abuse in my opinion, as there’s few of the formal rights and judicial independence that criminal defendants receive. Like with a lot of other things in the US, we got by for many years with a semblance of small-l liberal normalcy because normal people in the system more-or-less respected the ideas of procedural fairness, individual rights, and so on. Now that there are a bunch of far right guys in power playing hardball, they have the institutional leeway to accomplish their goals because there are few legal defenses against them.

Cool let me go eat the business end of a twelve gauge, later

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I got all of my admissions paperwork in. Literally just waiting on the rubber stamp from the admissions department. I spoke with my boss today. I explained how lovely job hunting has been and how little anyone pays. He doesn't blame me for leaving. He told me he thinks I'm a better writer than his two previous associates and I could be a great litigator, but he doesn't blame me for doing something else. He's retiring as soon as we close his book anyways, so not like it really matters to him.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Organza Quiz posted:

Ahhh yeah I see, our equivalent of that is come in on whatever, apply for a protection visa on spurious nothing grounds, hang around on bridging visas and work for several years until your appeals run out and you have to go home. Possibly throw in going unlawful after that and hanging around longer until you get caught. Which they don't need us for (and we wouldn't help them do it anyway) and they don't get any government benefits from it, they just get to earn more money than they would back home for a few years.

I was involved with one of these within the last couple of months, but with added definite tax fraud. They brought in their bank records which they were using as proof that they were bankrupt.

:j: Thanks for bringing these in, what's this $20,000?
:downs: What $20,000?
:j: *points on bank statement*
:downs: I forget. Sometimes my friend lends me this money, and then I give it back.
:j: Why do you do that?
:downs: I don't remember.
:j: *incredulous beat*
:downs: Maybe it was for my restaurant.
:j: Okay well your visa has a condition that you can't work, and you've never claimed this restaurant on taxes or anything, so...
:downs: I am going to go to the media to complain about you not helping me.
:j: Go for it.

The one I felt bad for was the wife because I think she genuinely had no idea what the gently caress was going on, only that she was going to have to go back to the country of origin with their three kids, who were all born here. From memory she married her husband at age 18 when he was 35.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah there's huge tax fraud accompanying it while people try stay off the radar. I did meet one unlawful guy who'd been paying taxes because he had his business and bank account and stuff set up before his visa expired and was pretty impressed.

Reading US immigration stuff is nauseating but especially because I can see how our system is sliding in that direction and the protections that currently still exist aren't to be taken for granted.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Oh yeah I assume Australia is basically just going to be Gilead at the end of the happy clapper's reign.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The US also has a system set up so that undocumented residents can pay their taxes. Very helpful!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
It's pretty cool how openly lawless things get when you have a guy with a purely instrumental approach to the law get some power in a system that relies almost entirely on the power of good faith to check people in power

You get pretty funny outcomes, like Kellyann Conway being told shes breaking the law and contemptuously pointing out (correctly) that she wont be punished for it. masks off!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

sullat posted:

The US also has a system set up so that undocumented residents can pay their taxes. Very helpful!

The difference in attitude about non-citizens who are in the country without a visa really fascinates me. As bad as the US is about a whole lot of immigration stuff, there's far greater acceptance of the idea that there are people living out their lives without being officially authorised to stick around. Whereas we have a massive fortress mentality because of being an island, the most neutral term we have is "unlawful", you would never hear even the most bleeding heart lefty of us say "undocumented". And there's almost no appetite for letting people stay just because they've been here a long time, except for children who are born here and usually resident until they turn 10 (which does not help their parents nearly as much as you'd think!).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Organza Quiz posted:

The difference in attitude about non-citizens who are in the country without a visa really fascinates me. As bad as the US is about a whole lot of immigration stuff, there's far greater acceptance of the idea that there are people living out their lives without being officially authorised to stick around.

A big part of this is that "There were 10.5 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. in 2017, representing 3.2% of the total U.S. population that year."
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/06/12/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

The police state necessary to collect, process, and deport 10.5 million people - basically 1 in 33 of the entire population - would make Stalin blush.

...plus, either (a) you live in an area where there are no unauthorized immigrants and so it isn't a big deal or (b) you live in an area where there are a lot and so you know Jose's a good guy.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Organza Quiz posted:

The difference in attitude about non-citizens who are in the country without a visa really fascinates me. As bad as the US is about a whole lot of immigration stuff, there's far greater acceptance of the idea that there are people living out their lives without being officially authorised to stick around. Whereas we have a massive fortress mentality because of being an island, the most neutral term we have is "unlawful", you would never hear even the most bleeding heart lefty of us say "undocumented". And there's almost no appetite for letting people stay just because they've been here a long time, except for children who are born here and usually resident until they turn 10 (which does not help their parents nearly as much as you'd think!).

Yeah there is some big stupid statute that keeps confusing people about what the alleged purpose of the United States is and how we should treat people yearning for a better life

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah there is some big stupid statute that keeps confusing people about what the alleged purpose of the United States is and how we should treat people yearning for a better life

I was wondering what part of the constitution you were talking about at first but then I realized autocorrect screwed you

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I think you meant statue

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Meanwhile I assumed there was a bit of your constitution that talked about it!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

I think you meant statue

:golfclap:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
uhhhh loving prove me wrong

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Only judge big law attorneys for their clients - but only if they're partners.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I’m in a small town in the middle of Texas. I was told to monitor the proceedings discreetly.

So far there are 4 other attorneys in the Courtroom and they are all friends and keep looking at me.

I need fake glasses with a mustache.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Have you tried a newspaper with eyeholes cut out?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Show up in jeans and say youre a reporter from Austin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
lol Alex Jones' lawyers.