Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Plus, while I get the idea of IVs are supposed to be like "no two pokemon are the same," everything else kinda accomplishes that too. Also, not entirely seriously, but i've always been bothered by IVs kinda running against the themes of the games of "there is no weak pokemon" and the such. I mean, of course there's "weak" pokemon mechanically, but to have a system that so directly makes a pokemon worse then another of its' species seems...wrong?

I know what you mean (IVs come perilously close to "Paul was right"), but arguably the "no such thing as a weak Pokemon" point still holds in the sense that there are very few fully-evolved Pokemon so weak that they're unusable in single-player even with lousy IVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I know what you mean (IVs come perilously close to "Paul was right"), but arguably the "no such thing as a weak Pokemon" point still holds in the sense that there are very few fully-evolved Pokemon so weak that they're unusable in single-player even with lousy IVs.

Oh absolutely, but on a literal level IVs can mean 'this pokemon is objectively inferior to an otherwise identical Pokemon." IV spreads are not balanced or equal, it's just luck of the draw. It's not like EVs where any pokemon can work towards greatness, or nature which can be argued to be "they're different" even if in a competitive sense there's certain EV spreads & natures you want for certain pokemon.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Would be cool if every region had its own wholly unique Pokedex with no old pokemon, and then post-game, you're allowed to bring your old friends back to meet your new ones

Imagine how different the games would be if Gen I's pokemon only evolved once, then future generations brought in stronger third forms or baby versions on top of another batch of new pokemon

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
every line should be baby - base stage - mid evo - final evo - mega evo

and all 5 stages should have regional variants

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Oxyclean posted:

IVs are dumb as poo poo and should be removed entirely and that's a hill I'd die on. Find a more sane way to have hidden power change type.

Just let an NPC change your HP type at will. It’s so weak that it’s only really useful for hitting 4x weaknesses anyway.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

less laughter posted:

every line should be baby - base stage - mid evo - final evo - mega evo

I agree

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Would be cool if every region had its own wholly unique Pokedex with no old pokemon, and then post-game, you're allowed to bring your old friends back to meet your new ones

That was basically Black and White, and while I thought it was pretty cool, a lot of people really didn't like not having any old mons till postgame.

For better or worse, I feel like B&W had a lot of "this region's version of <gen 1 pokemon>" and followed a lot of the tropes of Gen 1's dex in an effort to make it feel like a new but familiar experience.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

I think one of the things that leaves me feeling sour is: How long did they know/feel this?

Like I can't help but be grumpy over how they've gave us gen after gen of "obligatory mono normal animal you will see on every route" and "its a mono water fish, again!" and other pokemon that kind felt like the existed almost purely to pad out the regions/dexs.

Like goldeen being in feels like a perfect example of how much of a bummer this could be. No-one talks about goldeen. No-one likes goldeen, if they do, they're a liar, or they had it in their party when they were 8 and feel nostalgic for it but will probably never use it again. Looking at the confirmed dex so far, we have stuff like Hoot Hoot, Ruffet, and Roggenrola, I can't imagine they'll be leaving out Pidgey, Spearow and Geodude.

I hope the bulk of the galar dex omissions is just old legendaries and mythicals.

I kinda want to use Seaking now

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bleck posted:

I agree

:thejoke:, I think.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

cheetah7071 posted:

I kinda want to use Seaking now

she's lovely and has Lightningrod so only one weakness

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Man, Archery Owl would have been so good as a PokEngland starter.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Man, Archery Owl would have been so good as a PokEngland starter.

The Pokemon native to a region have never been that closely tied to the wildlife or culture of the real-life area the region is based on. Kanto had kangaroos wearing Mongolian armor living just southwest of Tokyo. (To be far, it would make sense for the Safari Zone Pokemon to be imported from abroad, but the need to refer to the Gen I Pokemon as an in-universe category means that they've been retconned as "originally discovered in Kanto.") Johto, the most traditionally Japanese region, introduced Pokemon based on the Roman alphabet and a giraffe. Unova had Daruma dolls and zebras in New Jersey. Kalos had pandas and luchadors in France. There have also been Pokemon inspired by the real-world regions as well (especially in Alola), but they've never tried to match Pokemon with regions very strictly.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Silver2195 posted:

There have also been Pokemon inspired by the real-world regions as well (especially in Alola)

Like Decidueye in fact.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

less laughter posted:

Like Decidueye in fact.

Good point!

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
I can see reasons why limiting an in-game dex would need to be necessary for a new game such as overhauling models/animation or system limitations. But it seems like they are handling this in the clumsiest way possible after seemingly spending so many resources (the future-proof models, Pokemon Home) to prevent this sort of situation. Not to mention also doing this when it has finally jumped to a home console making it a lot harder to swallow that another 100-so pokemon are breaking the bank when the last hand held could support all the previous generations.

Even just saying they would look into expanding the dex at a later would have been better than just dropping ultimatum that no game in the future will support all the generations. So thinking it over, if we cannot get a new generation/region game to support all past generations and mechanics, then why not bring back the Pokemon Stadium series to do that instead? A game just dedicated to the battle and breeding system that lets you import any Pokemon into would still likely be less resources intense then an region game. Heck you could also use it as a game release in-between generations to help keep things fresh.

So a new generation comes out with a limited dex and poeple can get excited about new pokemon and mechanics. Then a little later, people could get excited again when a new Stadium comes out and people can see how the new pokemon and mechanics interact with the full roster.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vise the Stompy posted:

A game just dedicated to the battle and breeding system that lets you import any Pokemon into would still likely be less resources intense then an region game.

Perhaps that's what Home will be. If so, they could have defused a lot of anger by telling us so, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

are we really going to call this "Dexit"? Fandom controversies shouldn't borrow from real life horrifying things.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/HelloRicky1/status/1139561563717656576

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
So they had all the old Pokémon in USUM including unused walk cycles, which were supposedly future-proofed
They put LGPE out last year as a test bed for SwSh, so they should already have 150+ models worked out
I assume they have access to the Pokemon Go assets if they want them
They have all the money in the drat world

So what gives? I wish they would follow up about this because it's really dumb

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

okay excuse me for being incredibly late to the party but I've been out of the loop for a couple years and I wanna be sure what the deal is.

it's not like black/white where there are no old pokemon available, but they still exist in game and you can do the transfer rigmarole. rather, it physically won't be possible to transfer some subset of the previous gens because the game data doesn't have them? what's the point of pokemon bank, then?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Live Free posted:

So they had all the old Pokémon in USUM including unused walk cycles, which were supposedly future-proofed
They put LGPE out last year as a test bed for SwSh, so they should already have 150+ models worked out

They have money, and they have assets. What they do not have is time. They would need to implement and QA it, but they are also beholden to a definite release date, for better or worse.

See the new Animal Crossing. That was delayed, and Nintendo’s stock took a huge hit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

World War Mammories posted:

okay excuse me for being incredibly late to the party but I've been out of the loop for a couple years and I wanna be sure what the deal is.

it's not like black/white where there are no old pokemon available, but they still exist in game and you can do the transfer rigmarole. rather, it physically won't be possible to transfer some subset of the previous gens because the game data doesn't have them? what's the point of pokemon bank, then?

Correct

To charge you money to store your old mons until they make a new game to use them in

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

The Pokemon native to a region have never been that closely tied to the wildlife or culture of the real-life area the region is based on. Kanto had kangaroos wearing Mongolian armor living just southwest of Tokyo. (To be far, it would make sense for the Safari Zone Pokemon to be imported from abroad, but the need to refer to the Gen I Pokemon as an in-universe category means that they've been retconned as "originally discovered in Kanto.") Johto, the most traditionally Japanese region, introduced Pokemon based on the Roman alphabet and a giraffe. Unova had Daruma dolls and zebras in New Jersey. Kalos had pandas and luchadors in France. There have also been Pokemon inspired by the real-world regions as well (especially in Alola), but they've never tried to match Pokemon with regions very strictly.

At the same time, they have introduced Pokémon that are particularly fitting to their region though. Unova introduced an Afro bison, a red, white and blue eagle, a pidgeon and aliens.

Galar gave us a corgi, which is also particularly fitting for Poke Britain.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Unlucky7 posted:

They have money, and they have assets. What they do not have is time. They would need to implement and QA it, but they are also beholden to a definite release date, for better or worse.

See the new Animal Crossing. That was delayed, and Nintendo’s stock took a huge hit.

But then why not say something to reduce the backlash a little bit? Seems dumb

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Zore posted:

Correct

To charge you money to store your old mons until they make a new game to use them in

:psyduck:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Kaphotics/status/1139581454621523969

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Live Free posted:

But then why not say something to reduce the backlash a little bit? Seems dumb

Nerds are never happy.

Seriously though, they could and should have done more to assure people on this.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Live Free posted:

Unlucky7's post explains part of it, but also, Game Freak/=TCPi. TCPi manages the entire Pokemon brand and was formed by a combination of Nintendo, Creatures, Inc., and Game Freak to serve as an independent business entity. They're the ones who control things like the budget and license and communications between different branches of the company, not GF.

GF has only 100 + employees, and cannot simply "hire more staff" without running into further challenges. With Creatures (who is the one who actually develops the Pokemon models), the staff working on the game can reach up to 300, but in general, they've got less to work with than most companies.

Furthermore, the game can't be delayed as easily as something like Zelda or Animal Crossing, given all the cross media tie-ins associated with it.

And of course, there's the fact that there will be 1000 of these things. No other monster-raising series goes nearly this far in preserving its legacy content, and even then, Pokemon is still allowing you to keep them in Pokemon Home. Yeah, yeah, it's a "prison", but then, old Pokemon coming from previous gens have always been somewhat restricted anyway with the introduction of stuff like the regional symbol limiting who or what can go into battle.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nodosaur posted:

Unlucky7's post explains part of it, but also, Game Freak/=TCPi. TCPi manages the entire Pokemon brand and was formed by a combination of Nintendo, Creatures, Inc., and Game Freak to serve as an independent business entity. They're the ones who control things like the budget and license and communications between different branches of the company, not GF.

GF has only 100 + employees, and cannot simply "hire more staff" without running into further challenges. With Creatures (who is the one who actually develops the Pokemon models), the staff working on the game can reach up to 300, but in general, they've got less to work with than most companies.

source your quotes because all of this sounds like conjecture

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

less laughter posted:

source your quotes because all of this sounds like conjecture

quote:

The Pokémon Company is a Japanese company that is responsible for brand management, production, marketing and licensing of the Pokémon franchise, consisting of video game software, a trading card game, anime television series, films, manga, home entertainment products, merchandise, and other ventures. It was established through a joint investment by the three businesses holding the copyright on Pokémon: Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures.

quote:

The Pokémon Company also handles publishing of all Pokémon videogames since 2001 in Japan, while overseas, Nintendo acts as the publisher of the console games. 2In the mobile market, the company is the only responsible for Pokémon titles, unlike in console where it divides publishing with Nintendo.

It seems I was incorrect on Creatures handling Pokemon modeling. But they have assisted in development of past titles.

Google lists Game Freak as having 148 employees as of 2018. "Hiring more staff" is common sense, because such an undertaking would involve capital they may or may not be willing to spend.

The rest... what do I need to quote? The anime has, for years, coincided with the release of new games for years now, as have new releases in the TCG. The start of every new generation is a huge multimedia event, and you only have to look back at the last few major game releases to confirm that.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yeah so most of your post was indeed conjecture ("TPCi controls the budget for everything including GF" :lol:) and theorizing based on Wikipedia.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uhhhh. They oversee game development and publish them. TPC would also most certainly have more funds than Game Freak themselves, and as brand manager, set it, along with the release date and all the other tie-ins like the anime that, frankly, Game Freak has nothing to do with. If they're not the ones that set the budget for a respective game and the time needed to create it, it'd be a pretty stark change from how development works for everyone else.

TPC is an independent entity, and always has been. Hell, they're the ones who actually see money from Pokemon Go, as shown here.

quote:

“This mobile game application is developed and distributed by Niantic, Inc,” reads Kimishima’s note. “The Pokémon Company, which is an affiliated company of Nintendo Co., Ltd., holds the ownership rights to Pokémon. The Pokémon Company is going to receive a licensing fee as well as compensation for collaboration in the development and operations of the application. [Nintendo] owns 32 percent of the voting power of The Pokémon Company.”

As a much smaller company, Game Freak would have an even smaller percentage of voting power in TPC than Nintendo, so what makes you think GF would hold more influence in this situation?

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
love to sign into my forums account and defend the most profitable franchise in the world

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Live Free posted:

love to sign into my forums account and defend the most profitable franchise in the world

The profitability of the Pokemon brand that everyone keeps talking about is accumulative, it doesn't lead to a war chest that makes everything possible, including your dreams. Winnie the Pooh is third most successful worldwide; do you honestly think it has more international presence and support from its parent company as Star Wars, which is immediately behind it? Such a claim would be ridiculous, as every recent effort to bring the property back into prominence has been to middling success.

But either way, I'm pointing out the fact that a lot of what people are laying at Game Freak's feet is actually the responsibility of The Pokemon Company. If you're angry, be angry - but direct your anger at the right people, and also do so with awareness of the realities of production and development. GF isn't exactly in the poor house, but they're not this huge studio commanding a ton of influence, either.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nessa posted:

Back in 3rd Gen, I trained up a Phanpy just to keep it in my party and pick up good items for me. I had a really hard time K.O.ing the little guys in Firered because they sounded so sad when knocked out. Phanpy is such a cute Pokémon. I wanted Donna to get me the best items, so she’s level 100.

i used to not know the difference betwen phanpy and manaphy

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

there are so many terrible garbage pokemon especially from the 2nd and 3rd generation that it seems like it would be piss easy to just wipe those off the map. Nobody's going to miss some of those things.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nodosaur posted:

The profitability of the Pokemon brand that everyone keeps talking about is accumulative, it doesn't lead to a war chest that makes everything possible, including your dreams. Winnie the Pooh is third most successful worldwide; do you honestly think it has more international presence and support from its parent company as Star Wars, which is immediately behind it? Such a claim would be ridiculous, as every recent effort to bring the property back into prominence has been to middling success.

But either way, I'm pointing out the fact that a lot of what people are laying at Game Freak's feet is actually the responsibility of The Pokemon Company. If you're angry, be angry - but direct your anger at the right people, and also do so with awareness of the realities of production and development. GF isn't exactly in the poor house, but they're not this huge studio commanding a ton of influence, either.

A Winnie the Pooh Star Wars crossover would be fun

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

A Winnie the Pooh Star Wars crossover would be fun

Maybe in Kingdom Hearts 4...

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

Google lists Game Freak as having 148 employees as of 2018. "Hiring more staff" is common sense, because such an undertaking would involve capital they may or may not be willing to spend.
iirc, they actively don't want to hire too many people because of the whole idea that beyond a certain amount of people being around you, you start to see people as just numbers rather than humans - a lower amount of employees means a greater amount of human connection, which leads to less burnout and less ability to just say "yeah let's make the underlings fuckin do everything who gives a poo poo they aren't important enough to know."

I can't find the article now that said this, so there's a good chance this is just me tryna defend a really successful company that doesn't need any goddamn defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Dias posted:

Yeah, I feel like they should keep the EV spread but just get rid of IVs altogether. I'unno how much of a draw that is for the people really into breeding tho.
speaking as someone who breeds a ton of pokemon with perfect IVs, it's sacrilege :colbert:
(especially, because, ya know, they fixed the main problem with IVs by way of super training. Just make bottlecaps purchasable with BP and they'd be golden. Now all they need is a way to alter the statboost from natures)

Vinylshadow posted:

see: why Black/White were good, despite the annoying pantywaist antagonist