Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

IE would be cool if you use it for the purpose of making people's work easier instead of making people work more, but lol capitalism. Frank Gilbreth, one of the inventors of time& motion study, would walk into factories and ask to see the laziest guy they had on the grounds that he would be doing the least wasted motion.

Also VS, since my last post was a little depressing I do want to say as someone that's flunked out twice that as long as you can pay for it and you don't give up, you can push your way through. i had to change majors but it was still something I wanted to do, and if you keep slogging on you can make it out eventually. With diffeq in particular is it a conceptual problem or an execution one? This sort of thing if you don't know what the math represents youve got problems

Chokes McGee posted:

differential equations made my head hurt. numeric theory made my head hurt. pretty much all of it was for a career as an industrial engineer or statistician and either one was ew.

My major is Industrial Engineering, which i really love, but numbers stuff due to my learning disabilities (ADHD among others...) can be really hard to deal with. My last test even after going to office hours was a 60/100, and today on my dynamics quiz i got a 0/5 on an by all accounts easy quiz because i couldn't connect any of the concepts to the numbers.

Tomorrow Iv got an appointment to reup by meds and I'm going to ask the doc to up my dosage, by far my biggest struggle is I just can't pay attention enough to study, it's incredibly frustrating and mentally harmful that I go in knowing I didn't study nearly enough because i got distracted or couldn't/wouldn't study properly, and after I fail my mental health gets really bad. Particularly the self harm thoughts (which, mind, iv never acted upon) right after get really bad. It's just hard not to feel really isolated without any hope because of how huge the university is, and how much people will judge you for being an engineer whose not a god at math, formulas, etc....

often times professors are very busy, and can't sit down with me regularly to help me learn in a way that works for me. tutors for stuff im at the level of can be hard to come by, as it's assumed that you should just know what you are doing. iv be straight up told if i need a tutor after i finish my basic courses I shouldn't be an engineer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

My major is Industrial Engineering, which i really love, but numbers stuff due to my learning disabilities (ADHD among others...) can be really hard to deal with. My last test even after going to office hours was a 60/100, and today on my dynamics quiz i got a 0/5 on an by all accounts easy quiz because i couldn't connect any of the concepts to the numbers.

Tomorrow Iv got an appointment to reup by meds and I'm going to ask the doc to up my dosage, by far my biggest struggle is I just can't pay attention enough to study, it's incredibly frustrating and mentally harmful that I go in knowing I didn't study nearly enough because i got distracted or couldn't/wouldn't study properly, and after I fail my mental health gets really bad. Particularly the self harm thoughts (which, mind, iv never acted upon) right after get really bad. It's just hard not to feel really isolated without any hope because of how huge the university is, and how much people will judge you for being an engineer whose not a god at math, formulas, etc....

often times professors are very busy, and can't sit down with me regularly to help me learn in a way that works for me. tutors for stuff im at the level of can be hard to come by, as it's assumed that you should just know what you are doing. iv be straight up told if i need a tutor after i finish my basic courses I shouldn't be an engineer :(
How far into the major are you? Do you have time to identify what you enjoy about engineering and look for something else that shares those elements without the math demands?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hi, thanks for your consideration and care. I took a walk to the grocery store and am going to reach out more to my friends adn family around me today. I've never really written out everything I have felt like that before. It made me feel better just to have written it, to be honest. I'm sorry if I startled you! It was not my intent to cause alarm with the post, I just had a lot to express about the climate and felt like i could do so safely here. I am baking dinner now for me and my wife and I'll talk to her a bit about this stuff.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

redsniper posted:

Wait like the historical berserker warriors or is this a real treatm-

:stare: .............
:black101::dehumanize:

I'm gonna try this and do a trip report. If I never post again assume my thoughts killed me

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Impermanent posted:

Hi, thanks for your consideration and care. I took a walk to the grocery store and am going to reach out more to my friends adn family around me today. I've never really written out everything I have felt like that before. It made me feel better just to have written it, to be honest. I'm sorry if I startled you! It was not my intent to cause alarm with the post, I just had a lot to express about the climate and felt like i could do so safely here. I am baking dinner now for me and my wife and I'll talk to her a bit about this stuff.

It's okay! If you're in a better place now and you have a support net in place, that's fantastic. Vent whenever you like, that's what we're here for.

Sorry if I overreacted, I just worry about y'all sometimes :glomp:

Dreddout posted:

I'm gonna try this and do a trip report. If I never post again assume my thoughts killed me

enjoy thought Valhalla

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Is there a point one should consider inpatient treatment? I feel there is some sort of obvious point for things like bipolar, but for things like emotional exhaustion/burnout on top of other mental garbo it doesn't feel like there is a clear delineation of when it's a good idea. Last time it came up my psychologist recommended it, should I wait until my therapist, an outside party, recommends it?

All I can say is that I just don't see a way out of this spiral, and even though I know the ways to help pull me out of this downturn (therapy, mindfulness/meditation, exercise, good diet, socializing) the energy and will to do them is just...Not there. I don't know, sorry, I can't think or make decisions on my own so I keep outsourcing it to the internet

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Hey y'all,

I'm really glad that this thread exists. I've been wanting to jump into the conversation for awhile, but I've been really struggling with a lot of shame around my own mental health issues lately. I've written and deleted posts a couple of times, but I'd like to just jump in. May I do some venting? I'd like to do some venting...

I've got OCD and panic disorder, as well as chronic pain issues (and I'm very much aware that those are all intertwined). I also tend to fall into pretty deep depressions on a regular basis, but I think that’s mostly from being worn down from being anxious all of the time. I've been struggling with it for quite awhile, and I feel like it's caused me to miss out on a lot of things. But now I'm really trying to be a little bit more proactive about things, within my (pretty limited) means.

A lot of my shame is around the fact that I actually am a therapist myself. I work at a non-profit LGBT center, and I also do some private practice on the side. I really do love what I do, and it's really fulfilling for me, but the past couple of years have been really soul-crushing. Most of my clients are queer, and in their 20's and 30's, so they're very much in the same demographic as me and struggling with the same poo poo that I am - the Trump presidency, what it means to be queer in this political atmosphere (especially for my trans clients), the looming existential threat of climate change, crippling debt and stagnant wages, etc. It's all poo poo that I'm struggling with, too. I've gotten really comfortable being upfront with my clients and being honest with them about the fact that I'm scared, too, and that I don't want to just blow smoke up anyone's rear end and act like things are okay right now. I generally try to shift the focus toward helping people find ways to get involved in whatever political issues they're passionate about, building up their communities and support systems, and engaging in some good self-care (in whatever form that is). But it's just been really weighing me down that I don't have all of the answers and I can’t just magically make everything better for everyone; I mean, therapy school didn't exactly teach us how to help people cope with the global rise of fascism and the looming end of the world and all of that. And I'm really feeling a lot of impostor syndrome since I’m dealing with the exact same anxieties as my clients. I know it's mostly coming from inside myself, but I feel a lot of pressure and expectation to be some sort of wise sage with all of the right answers and all of the right things to say, but I’m sorta painfully human, too.

It's frustrating because I know that I need to get help for myself, but I just can't afford it. I’ve gotten therapy in the past when I was fortunate enough to work for an agency with an EAP program, but that’s not the case now and I can’t afford it on my own. It's really demoralizing to provide a service like that and then to not be able to afford it for yourself, but :capitalism: I’d like to look into psychiatry (I’ve never been on meds before), but that’s so astronomically expensive and my insurance is pretty lovely. I’m very much living paycheck to paycheck, and I’ve cut my expenses down about as much as I can, but I still don’t see it being a possibility right now. I’m taking some herbal supplements that are helping a little, but I feel like I need something more than that.

I’m also working 6 days a week lately, so I don’t really feel like I have a lot of time to dedicate to good self-care, or to see another professional even if I could afford it. My agency is enforcing quotas on the number of clients that we see every quarter in a really heavy-handed way, and any vacation/sick time that we take doesn’t factor into that, so I really don’t feel like I can take any sort of break right now without risking my job.

I’ve been getting back into yoga lately, and I’ve been trying to go walking in the park as much as I can, and those have helped, but that’s about all that I really feel like I have the time or energy to do right now.

Anyways, sorry of the wall of text. I don’t really have any specific questions or anything, but I just really needed to have a space to vent a little, because I don’t feel like I have that IRL right now.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Is there a point one should consider inpatient treatment? I feel there is some sort of obvious point for things like bipolar, but for things like emotional exhaustion/burnout on top of other mental garbo it doesn't feel like there is a clear delineation of when it's a good idea. Last time it came up my psychologist recommended it, should I wait until my therapist, an outside party, recommends it?

All I can say is that I just don't see a way out of this spiral, and even though I know the ways to help pull me out of this downturn (therapy, mindfulness/meditation, exercise, good diet, socializing) the energy and will to do them is just...Not there. I don't know, sorry, I can't think or make decisions on my own so I keep outsourcing it to the internet

If your psychologist recommended it, then its probably worth looking into. Most hospitals tend to use the criteria of risk of harm to self or others, or a significant decrease in your ability to complete Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)- taking care of yourself, feeding yourself, etc. It might also be worth checking with your insurance to see what they'd require to approve it.

If hospitalization isn't an option, it might be worth seeing if an Intensive Outipatient Program (IOP) or Respite care exist in your area. IOP's are programs where you attend several hours of group therapy a day for a few weeks without actually being hospitalized, and Respite care (which isn't available everywhere) is a place for people to stay for a few days to a week if they have mental health concerns that might not qualify them for full hospitalization.

Best of luck to you; it can be really hard when you're in that gray area. Check back in with your psychologist if you can and see if they can help with the process.

Edit - And if you're seeing a therapist now, it'd be totally worth it to bring the option up with them, rather than waiting for them to make the recommendation.

discoukulele has issued a correction as of 06:54 on Jun 13, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

discoukulele posted:

Hey y'all,

I'm really glad that this thread exists. I've been wanting to jump into the conversation for awhile, but I've been really struggling with a lot of shame around my own mental health issues lately. I've written and deleted posts a couple of times, but I'd like to just jump in. May I do some venting? I'd like to do some venting...

I've got OCD and panic disorder, as well as chronic pain issues (and I'm very much aware that those are all intertwined). I also tend to fall into pretty deep depressions on a regular basis, but I think that’s mostly from being worn down from being anxious all of the time. I've been struggling with it for quite awhile, and I feel like it's caused me to miss out on a lot of things. But now I'm really trying to be a little bit more proactive about things, within my (pretty limited) means.

A lot of my shame is around the fact that I actually am a therapist myself. I work at a non-profit LGBT center, and I also do some private practice on the side. I really do love what I do, and it's really fulfilling for me, but the past couple of years have been really soul-crushing. Most of my clients are queer, and in their 20's and 30's, so they're very much in the same demographic as me and struggling with the same poo poo that I am - the Trump presidency, what it means to be queer in this political atmosphere (especially for my trans clients), the looming existential threat of climate change, crippling debt and stagnant wages, etc. It's all poo poo that I'm struggling with, too. I've gotten really comfortable being upfront with my clients and being honest with them about the fact that I'm scared, too, and that I don't want to just blow smoke up anyone's rear end and act like things are okay right now. I generally try to shift the focus toward helping people find ways to get involved in whatever political issues they're passionate about, building up their communities and support systems, and engaging in some good self-care (in whatever form that is). But it's just been really weighing me down that I don't have all of the answers and I can’t just magically make everything better for everyone; I mean, therapy school didn't exactly teach us how to help people cope with the global rise of fascism and the looming end of the world and all of that. And I'm really feeling a lot of impostor syndrome since I’m dealing with the exact same anxieties as my clients. I know it's mostly coming from inside myself, but I feel a lot of pressure and expectation to be some sort of wise sage with all of the right answers and all of the right things to say, but I’m sorta painfully human, too.

It's frustrating because I know that I need to get help for myself, but I just can't afford it. I’ve gotten therapy in the past when I was fortunate enough to work for an agency with an EAP program, but that’s not the case now and I can’t afford it on my own. It's really demoralizing to provide a service like that and then to not be able to afford it for yourself, but :capitalism: I’d like to look into psychiatry (I’ve never been on meds before), but that’s so astronomically expensive and my insurance is pretty lovely. I’m very much living paycheck to paycheck, and I’ve cut my expenses down about as much as I can, but I still don’t see it being a possibility right now. I’m taking some herbal supplements that are helping a little, but I feel like I need something more than that.

I’m also working 6 days a week lately, so I don’t really feel like I have a lot of time to dedicate to good self-care, or to see another professional even if I could afford it. My agency is enforcing quotas on the number of clients that we see every quarter in a really heavy-handed way, and any vacation/sick time that we take doesn’t factor into that, so I really don’t feel like I can take any sort of break right now without risking my job.

I’ve been getting back into yoga lately, and I’ve been trying to go walking in the park as much as I can, and those have helped, but that’s about all that I really feel like I have the time or energy to do right now.

Anyways, sorry of the wall of text. I don’t really have any specific questions or anything, but I just really needed to have a space to vent a little, because I don’t feel like I have that IRL right now.
If the identity of being a therapist is causing you distress, and doing therapy is causing you distress, and the company you're working for is causing you distress, it might be time to let go of the sense of obligation that comes with social work and start taking care of yourself instead.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i cant even get depressed about trump or global warming because i stopped caring about anything when i was a kid and realized that nothing i do will matter when humanity goes extinct

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

discoukulele posted:

Hey y'all,

FAU's suggestion is pretty good, but if you're determined to stay in the field, do you have any opportunities to take part in DBT? IIRC they have a recurring group for the therapists themselves as part of the program so they can support each other during stuff like this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

got any sevens posted:

i cant even get depressed about trump or global warming because i stopped caring about anything when i was a kid and realized that nothing i do will matter when humanity goes extinct

It may not be earth shattering and remembered for the next 600 years but what you do absolutely matters to the people you interact with.

Zyla pointed this out upthread but the old screed about throwing the starfish back into the sea takes on a whole new meaning when you keep going after the first one. idk if that helps, but it helped me.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

where’s the pooping on company time thread to talk about goofing off at work

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Doomsday econ thread?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Frog Act posted:

where’s the pooping on company time thread to talk about goofing off at work

doesn't actually exist, was mostly speaking off of yospos having a "wandering into the woods" thread which is actually pretty wholesome for the bitter tech crowd. roll the dice and start one, or i'll get to it tonight, i figure this is actually highly on theme for cspam

e: and feel free to keep posting on work issues in this thread of course, i did not mean to be thread police

Cybernetic Vermin has issued a correction as of 18:19 on Jun 13, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah I’d post in that because I have things to say about how absurd this whole thing is, everyone talks about how busy this department is and they listed “high stress tolerance” as a required attribute but we’re just plugging values into things, sending emails, and making spreadsheets. my OfficeMax coworkers didn’t even get chairs for their back problems and the 39 hours a week they got were actual uninterrupted labor

anyway back to reading articles on my iPad alone in a room for three hours while I wait for an IT person to stop loving up my account creation lmao

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

office workers are the biggest babies on earth and I think complaining about how hard their jobs are is a way to cope with the guilt of work just getting easier the more you get paid for it (the way i cope is by working 80 minutes a day and smoking weed)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

office workers are the biggest babies on earth and I think complaining about how hard their jobs are is a way to cope with the guilt of work just getting easier the more you get paid for it (the way i cope is by working 80 minutes a day and smoking weed)

on one level yes, but in the context of this thread no

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

im going to be working 18 days in a row while getting paid for roughly 10 of them with no overtime. it isnt manual labor or even as draining as retail (done both) but it still sucks rear end. I even get to drive up to two hours each way for the privilege.

us labor laws suck all the way around

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm mostly complaining about my own workplace, I know of the horror stories in tech and creative industries and am very glad to have the luxury of posting all day. Still I think the adage of working less the more you get paid mostly holds up and the way most people reconcile this with protestant work culture is by losing their minds. capitalism comes for all of us in the end

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ultimately all labor under capitalism is both theft and unnecessary, unproductive garbage, it’s just a matter of degree. all I know is now that I’m in an office my feelings about McDonald’s workers making at least as much as someone like me are as intense as ever because everyone’s time is worth the same except for the bourgeoisie, who have no value and need to be exterminated. believing anything else is a mental illness called liberalism and it’s a serious pathology for many people

which is why cspam is the best forum, because the posters here do not suffer from that particular problem

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
how do I find a Marxist therapist

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/laurenstrapagiel/free-dad-hugs-pride

haha lol now im crying woo

just a lil salve for this sunday lol lol lol lol oh god

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

no but rly gently caress fat***s' day

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

juche avocado posted:

no but rly gently caress fat***s' day

I know what you really meant but I read this as fatass' day and was like, what do you have against me

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

I'm mostly complaining about my own workplace, I know of the horror stories in tech and creative industries and am very glad to have the luxury of posting all day. Still I think the adage of working less the more you get paid mostly holds up and the way most people reconcile this with protestant work culture is by losing their minds. capitalism comes for all of us in the end

A while back I wanted to see whether that adage held up for me as well, so I went ahead and graphed the twelve jobs I've had over the last twenty years, with pay on the x axis and 1-10 stress/effort level on the y. It wasn't a perfect correlation, but there was a statistically significant downward trend in stress/effort with the upward momentum of pay. I wish I still had the graph because it was really neat to consider, especially because I had enough data points to make it interesting.

Edit: FWIW, the biggest outlier that hosed up the whole curve was the highly-paid job that came with maximum stress because of the horrible boss. The work was easy and I put forth maybe 30 minutes a day, but my boss was such a loving bitch that I probably spent 80 hours a week wishing I could die. There's an argument to be made that I shouldn't have factored that into the chart, but I know there are quite a few people in this world being paid good money just to deal with horrible people.

FormerPoster has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Jun 14, 2019

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

BANG YOUR HEAD

MENTAL HEALTH'LL DRIVE YOU MAD

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

In other news I got a prescription for Zoloft today. Is it any good?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Russian troll farm posted:

I've never taken it, but from what I know from people who do:

1. You're going to have sleep issues but they're supposed to get better
2. Do not miss a dose or you're going to be sick for a full day
3. Might gently caress with your libido

A friend is on it and ended up adding Wellbutrin to counteract the libido-reducing effects, and that worked well, but IDK if anything treats the nightmares. But I'll tell you this, it's a hell of a lot better than not being medicated. It can just take some time to figure out which med is right, so make sure you stick with it so you and your doctor can have accurate info re: your response. Keeping a diary can help, even just something simple like "here's my mood, here's my physical health, here's any incidents like mood swings or nausea or w/e."

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

discoukulele posted:

Hey. I'm a therapist too (very lucky to be in private practice, with all the financial uncertainty that comes with that) and doing LGBT affirmative work in a red county in California (Kern).

I feel this in a deep way -- and I feel like I can't be more active in the LGBT community locally because I try to get my clients to get more involved, and seeing your clients in the world is always weird to navigate.

Psychiatry is hard to access but I recommend it-- I've been medicated off and on since my early 20s and it has helped me stabilize and be able to tamp down the screaming sense of dread and focus on what I can do to change my community.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well poo poo, if I ever got laid I would probably feel better about life in general. But less jacking off means more time to do other stuff.

But the sleep problems? I don't like that idea. I already have trouble sleeping sometimes, and I work 10-12 hour days and have only so much time to sleep as it is.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

A Russian troll farm posted:

I've been on it for about 3 months. the first couple weeks I was making GBS threads my brain out, feeling extremely wired at night and extremely tired in the morning. after the first month it's settled down for me, I take it at around 6 pm and try and take advantage of the sleepiness that I get.

overall, I feel way less depressed and anxious. it has messed with my libido but that not a big deal at the moment. for me it's a net good but it will work different for different people. but get prepared to poo poo a lot for a bit

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never taken it, but from what I know from people who do:

1. You're going to have sleep issues but they're supposed to get better
2. Do not miss a dose or you're going to be sick for a full day

A friend is on it and ended up adding Wellbutrin to counteract the libido-reducing effects, and that worked well, but IDK if anything treats the nightmares. But I'll tell you this, it's a hell of a lot better than not being medicated. It can just take some time to figure out which med is right, so make sure you stick with it so you and your doctor can have accurate info re: your response. Keeping a diary can help, even just something simple like "here's my mood, here's my physical health, here's any incidents like mood swings or nausea or w/e."

holy lol do not miss a dose there are potentially massive consequences, massively worse than just being sick

yeah

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

when I was on Zoloft I got these awful night terrors that caused me to wake up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder, or sometimes just shriek for awhile in my sleep

I’ve never had nightmares really before or since, I barely dream at all. that’s a really rare side effect though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

juche avocado posted:

holy lol do not miss a dose there are potentially massive consequences, massively worse than just being sick

yeah
The only person I've known who uses it just gets sick if they miss a dose, so that's all I'm familiar with.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

tsc posted:

Hey. I'm a therapist too (very lucky to be in private practice, with all the financial uncertainty that comes with that) and doing LGBT affirmative work in a red county in California (Kern).

I feel this in a deep way -- and I feel like I can't be more active in the LGBT community locally because I try to get my clients to get more involved, and seeing your clients in the world is always weird to navigate.

Psychiatry is hard to access but I recommend it-- I've been medicated off and on since my early 20s and it has helped me stabilize and be able to tamp down the screaming sense of dread and focus on what I can do to change my community.

Thanks a lot for this (and thanks a lot to everyone else, too). It's really validating to hear it from another therapist. And yeah, specializing in LGBT issues has really kinda taken a toll on my social life; I feel kinda awkward going to LGBT stuff (clubs, events, bars, etc) because there's absolutely a non-zero chance I'll bump into a client there, and it's definitely happened before. And same thing with dating apps. Even though I live in a pretty large city, the LGBT community is kinda tight-knit, and I've had several instances of realizing down the line that clients are actually old exes of my friends, or friends-of-friends, etc.

I've been doing a lot of reflecting, and I think that the agency I work for is just really toxic; we're all completely overworked, at risk of losing our jobs every quarter if we didn't complete enough sessions, and we don't ever get raises (not even a cost-of-living raise). I'm getting serious about finding another day job, whether it's mental health related or not, and keeping my private practice. It just really makes me sad, because I have some clients that I've been seeing for years, and I had to sign a non-compete agreement that I wouldn't take any of my clients with me (which I dunno if they'd actually sue me or what). But as much as that sucks, I think it's ultimately for the best and that I need to do what's best for me right now; and maybe kinda dropping hints that if my clients happen to find me on psychology today, then I couldn't exactly turn them away ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm very seriously considering medication at this point, or at least seeing whatever I can do to make therapy work. My anxiety issues have totally been out of control for awhile now.

Anyways, thanks a lot y'all, and I hope you're all doing well tonight. <3

discoukulele has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Jun 15, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

discoukulele posted:

I had to sign a non-compete agreement that I wouldn't take any of my clients with me (which I dunno if they'd actually sue me or what)
They definitely put this in place to emotionally blackmail therapists into being unable to leave despite the constant bad treatment, for fear of abandoning clients, so probably?

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Consummate Professional posted:

but get prepared to poo poo a lot for a bit

This will up my efficiency in terms of time getting paid to poop at work. This works for me

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only person I've known who uses it just gets sick if they miss a dose, so that's all I'm familiar with.

yeah im just adding in that, according to the last psychiatrist i talked to about this, something like a third of people are vulnerable to massive psychotic breaks when going cold turkey on zoloft

hi i'm one of those people lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I'm about to get on a plane for work. I dont mind flying, but goddamn to airports stress me out. I'm going to be spending the next week at an airport covering an event there. Thank God for ativan. See ya in a week, mental health thread.