Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

skooma512 posted:

I'm debating getting a kindle paperwhite. I know I can get tons of free ebooks from the library, but my nightstand has a bunch of regular books on it already.

I adore mine and can now reserve the small bits of empty space in my apartment for only the books I want to collect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

skooma512 posted:

I'm debating getting a kindle paperwhite. I know I can get tons of free ebooks from the library, but my nightstand has a bunch of regular books on it already.

:pseudo: Many libraries offer Overdrive, an ebook-lending service that's compatible with Kindle.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I highly recommend a kindle if you travel with any sort of frequency and like to read. I use it all the time on my commute. Gutenberg.org is a great resource for free books (if you like to read classics).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

skooma512 posted:

Last year I bought one and I'm quite happy with it. I already had loads of books on my Amazon wishlist so I'm good for about the next 80 years.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I had the first generation Paperwhite in the past and I loved it. Never looked back. It's way easier on the eyes than squinting at a phone screen, and the battery lasts forever. I have an Oasis now and it's fantastic, although if I'm remembering right the new Paperwhite has a lot of the same features - waterproof and a backlight. If you read regularly at all, I'd really highly recommend them. There are loads of places where you can get free or cheap books.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

queserasera posted:

:pseudo: Many libraries offer Overdrive, an ebook-lending service that's compatible with Kindle.

Can this work with a Kindle app on an Android phone by any chance? Not even sure if there is a Kindle app, I just assumed there is one.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

skooma512 posted:

I have one. Battery life is eternal and it's super easy to use.

gently caress Amazon but drat.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't want to pay twice for books. That's what I run into every single time I consider it.

Every Man Jack
Jan 14, 2010
Pillbug

colas posted:

Can this work with a Kindle app on an Android phone by any chance? Not even sure if there is a Kindle app, I just assumed there is one.

I'm not 100% sure if there is a Kindle app, but I do know there is an Android Overdrive app and I use it regularly for ebooks from my local library. It's pretty great for both ebooks and audio books in my experience.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

colas posted:

There is a Kindle app for smartphones and tablets--it's what I use instead of a standalone device. Overdrive also has an app for Android. Seriously, check out what your public library has for electronic books and audiobooks. YMMV outside the US though.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
You can find all the devices that can use Overdrive here: https://help.overdrive.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1481729-getting-started-with-overdrive.

Also, Overdrive’s new app called “Libby” is more modern and doesn’t try to get you to make an Overdrive account, but doesn’t show your wishlist. I usually use a browser for checking out books, then listen/read through Libby. If you’re searching in a browser, you can suggest books available in Overdrive that your library doesn’t own. One more thing - unless you’re a fast reader, go into your Overdrive settings and bump checkout periods up to 21 days, my library at least defaults to 14.

Kusaru has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Jun 14, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Beachcomber posted:

I don't want to pay twice for books. That's what I run into every single time I consider it.

Consider this:
Stop buying physical books now, get ebooks for free or VERY cheap and if you fall in love with a book, buy a really nice physical version.

I sold 300+ books recently and it opened up a ton of space in my apartment. Now I have a small collection of books I honestly love.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Looking to get chocolate square in bulk as party favors. Something like 200-300 pieces. Ghiradelli square sized and an assortment would be better than all one flavor but not strictly necessary. Any suggestions on where to look for a decent price? Stuff on Amazon fluctuated wildly in price and variety. Was wondering if there's a specific brand or store that would be good to buy from.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I have an older paperwhite too and I love it. It’s light, battery lasts forever, the nature of the screen & e-ink makes it perfect for reading outdoors at the beach etc. & it’s much easier on your eyes than a phone or LCD tablet.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I sold 300+ books recently and it opened up a ton of space in my apartment. Now I have a small collection of books I honestly love.

I've been doing this with video games, books, records - at this point my physical media collection is entirely comprised of things I actually love.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nephzinho posted:

I've been doing this with video games, books, records - at this point my physical media collection is entirely comprised of things I actually love.

This is why I only have one DVD. The Last Castle with Robert Redford. It was 50 cents and it’s gonna be worth thousands.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

You didn’t love your records? :confused:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Snowy posted:

You didn’t love your records? :confused:

Not all of them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Went ahead and got the paperwhite!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

what is you AV?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Anyone have window/standalone AC unit they're particularly fond of?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

C-Euro posted:

Anyone have window/standalone AC unit they're particularly fond of?

Do you mind a stand up one?
I have this and looooove it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DLPUWHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2EbcDbKT8BD6R

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Do you mind a stand up one?
I have this and looooove it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DLPUWHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2EbcDbKT8BD6R

If you can avoid these type by any means, do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-mBeYC2KGc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MrDeSaussure posted:

Bummer! I was leaning towards a portable unit since we can run it downstairs while we're working and then upstairs with us when we go to bed, but yeah they're much pricier and I guess less efficient?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Dual-tube versions, while still loud, are just fine. That video even acknowledges that, so go in search for one of those.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

colas posted:

what is you AV?

Burning back to gate I guess.

There is (was?) a goon doing vaporware overlays on avs in GBS to raise spine money.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I'm looking to switch off of loofas to reduce my plastic waste. Does anyone have any washcloths that recommend?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

plz dont pull out posted:

I'm looking to switch off of loofas to reduce my plastic waste. Does anyone have any washcloths that recommend?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Salux Nylon Japanese Beauty Skin Bath Wash Cloths are my favorite, but they are made of plastic so idk if that’s a problem given you dumping loofas

E. Actually, the “kessa hammam” glove thing my wife uses is made of natural fibers and is pretty nice, I think.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Jun 20, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Loofas are natural

Pack of 6 Natural Loofah Luffa Loofa Exfoliating Bath Body Shower Sponge Scrubber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019CV86ZI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.M7cDb4CGZETG

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MrDeSaussure posted:

I can't watch the whole video right now but you aren't supposed to have the hose in that position. It needs to be as straight as possible. Goddamn.

Anyway, they are expensive and loud but if you can't use in-window units or install any hardware, they're fine.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Window units are surprisingly good. I own a house with a 35 year old AC and it kinda can't keep up with the heat in the summer but I can't afford the 5 grand to replace it (it's also my furnace and gently caress combo units are expensive). I got a window unit to supplement for around $200 and it's a champ. Does better than the whole house unit, really.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Snowy posted:

Loofas are natural

Pack of 6 Natural Loofah Luffa Loofa Exfoliating Bath Body Shower Sponge Scrubber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019CV86ZI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.M7cDb4CGZETG

I've read that they're basically bacteria farms.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

I've read that they're basically bacteria farms.

Yeah basically I have to throw them away every month so I'd like something machine washable that can be reused for a long period of time.

1redflag posted:

Salux Nylon Japanese Beauty Skin Bath Wash Cloths are my favorite, but they are made of plastic so idk if that’s a problem given you dumping loofas

E. Actually, the “kessa hammam” glove thing my wife uses is made of natural fibers and is pretty nice, I think.

Are these?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Croatoan posted:

Window units are surprisingly good. I own a house with a 35 year old AC and it kinda can't keep up with the heat in the summer but I can't afford the 5 grand to replace it (it's also my furnace and gently caress combo units are expensive). I got a window unit to supplement for around $200 and it's a champ. Does better than the whole house unit, really.

35 year old AC? God drat just spend the dosh to get a new one. The efficiency on those things are amazing these days and will pay for itself pretty quickly compared that old one

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah basically I have to throw them away every month so I'd like something machine washable that can be reused for a long period of time.

Are these?

Yep, they are washable and last ~1 year with daily usage.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

That sounds great. Thanks!

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Use real loofahs instead of buying into some synthetic bandwagon poo poo?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Guilty posted:

Use real loofahs instead of buying into some synthetic bandwagon poo poo?

Is there really a plastic loofah bandwagon or are you just trying to get a SICK BURN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0014AYLOG/

We’ve been using these for a little over three years now. I replace them every year and a half or so. They feel awesome, dry fast, remain very durable even though they seem a little wonky when you’re getting used to them. They start off pretty abrasive but wear down to a nice feel. Never had a single problem with any gross mold or mildew or whatever. Seriously can’t recommend them enough.