Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I still haven't been able to finagle my financier export to get it into budgetwise, its driving me nuts. I thought i had it last time but it like broke the importer completely and i never even got an email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does ynab export to/from budgetwise. I'd like to try it but don't want to redo

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I bought the budgetwise lifetime pass after my trial had long since expired. I can't really recommend it at this point. It is SO SLOW (using chrome, haven't tried another browser yet). There are multiple second delays between mouse inputs/keyboard tab/scrolling. Maybe there is something going on with my specific budget that I'm not aware of because I can't imagine most people are putting up with it.

There are other quirks/things I don't like either, but I think those can be fixed. I've been making a list and I'm about to spam the budgetwise subreddit with recommendations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sometimes with budgetwise I have some slowness on mobile but no issues on desktop.

I'm still Doing a side by side.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to cajole nYNAB into spitting out a list of all transactions for a particular category and time period? I'm trying to speed up my expense report workflow but the best I can do is a little popup window on the Budget screen that closes when it loses focus. I want some kind of screen I can navigate to and filter on to pull up just the filtered transactions.

I tried it out but not even the YNAB Toolkit expansion supports this use case :sigh:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Go to "All Accounts" (or the Account you're interested in) and in the filter category you could put in "After: 2019/05/01, Category: Transportation, " and that should do what you need (note that "After" actually includes the start date, ie: "On or After").

You can't export those results, which is dumb. If you need it in Excel or something like that, you're going to have to export your whole Budget and do some custom filters in Excel.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Go to "All Accounts" (or the Account you're interested in) and in the filter category you could put in "After: 2019/05/01, Category: Transportation, " and that should do what you need (note that "After" actually includes the start date, ie: "On or After").

You can't export those results, which is dumb. If you need it in Excel or something like that, you're going to have to export your whole Budget and do some custom filters in Excel.
Of course, All Accounts! :doh: And I completely forgot how powerful filtering is. Thanks for pointing all that out, I was able to generate my desired list of a category's transactions no problem.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

My YNAB Classic app is banjaxed on my phone, anybody got any ideas? I keep getting the notification Local budget inconsistent with cloud Full import required, budget is read-only for now. This started happening about 10 days ago.

Phone
  • Samsung Galaxy S8
  • Android Version 9 with latest updates
  • YNAB Classic App

Desktop
  • Windows 10
  • YNAB4
  • Dropbox Basic

What I've done
  • Re-import the budget (done this 10-20 times now)
  • Restarted the phone
  • Installed the Android system update
  • Un- and re-installed the app, re-imported the budget
  • Installed Dropbox on the phone, made it one of the connected devices in my Dropbox basic account
  • Re-named the budget in Budget properties in the Desktop client
  • Confirmed cloud sync was on for the budget

My wife also uses YNAB 4 on her phone and laptop, she's not been having any trouble during this time. She loaded the renamed version of the budget and I've just gotten a Dropbox notification on my desktop that she's made changes in the budget.

I've followed the steps on this page but maybe I've overlooked something. I've also posted on the YNAB forums. I'd really appreciate any ideas on how I can get this working again!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
What's the best way to keep track of an interest free debt made on a credit card where you also make other purchases?

So basically I want to keep track of my $X purchase and pay a specific amount each month so that's it's paid off in Y months, but I also want YNAB to automatically factor it into the credit card payment calculation so that I am also completely paying off any new spend.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

greazeball posted:

My YNAB Classic app is banjaxed on my phone, anybody got any ideas? I keep getting the notification Local budget inconsistent with cloud Full import required, budget is read-only for now. This started happening about 10 days ago.

Phone
  • Samsung Galaxy S8
  • YNAB Classic App

Desktop
  • Windows 10
  • YNAB4
  • Dropbox Basic

What I've done
  • Restarted the phone
  • Installed Dropbox on the phone, made it one of the connected devices in my Dropbox basic account

My wife also uses YNAB 4 on her phone and laptop, she's not been having any trouble during this time. She loaded the renamed version of the budget and I've just gotten a Dropbox notification on my desktop that she's made changes in the budget.

I've followed the steps on this page but maybe I've overlooked something. I've also posted on the YNAB forums. I'd really appreciate any ideas on how I can get this working again!

This is basically the main reason I subscribed to nYNAB. I kept losing poo poo due to the cloud being out of sync with the desktop version or something. Not having my wife rage over losing 2 weeks of transactions was well worth the cost.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Anyone using any other apps? I've been looking at budgetwise and financier for a little while and they seem kind of stuck. I've heard of EveryDollar, Personal Capital and Spendee, anyone use them? I also feel like at one point I had found a system that took your budget and projected it into the future where you could then see the effect of taking an $8000 holiday next year on your retirement goals but I can't find it or remember anything about that one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I signed up for Personal Capital a few years ago, added all my accounts, then the very next day they called me asking me if I wanted to invest my money in their mutual funds or something. I never gave them my phone number. Deleted my account right after that call. gently caress those guys.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I signed up for Personal Capital a few years ago, added all my accounts, then the very next day they called me asking me if I wanted to invest my money in their mutual funds or something. I never gave them my phone number. Deleted my account right after that call. gently caress those guys.

I had the same experience plus then calling me every so often. Not cool.

Mikey Purp posted:

What's the best way to keep track of an interest free debt made on a credit card where you also make other purchases?

So basically I want to keep track of my $X purchase and pay a specific amount each month so that's it's paid off in Y months, but I also want YNAB to automatically factor it into the credit card payment calculation so that I am also completely paying off any new spend.

Use a different card until it's paid off?

Maybe also create a budget that rolls over each month to get paid off and add the sums together?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

StormDrain posted:

I had the same experience plus then calling me every so often. Not cool.

Use a different card until it's paid off?

Maybe also create a budget that rolls over each month to get paid off and add the sums together?

Yeah both of those crossed my mind but they are kind of inelegant solutions. Feels like you should be able to do something similar to their process for keeping track of a loan where you are the loaner, but I haven't really figured out how to make it all work.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

Not sure I get what you mean, but it seems like you could just create a "Payoff Amount" category and set a Goal for the target amount?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Not sure I get what you mean, but it seems like you could just create a "Payoff Amount" category and set a Goal for the target amount?

Yeah maybe this is what I should do. I might be overthinking it, so let me explain a bit more in case I'm totally missing something. We recently bought some new appliances from Home Depot and I put that purchase on my Home Depot credit card. Let's say it was $2400. The Home Depot card gives me an interest-free loan for that amount that lasts for 24 months, so I want to be paying at least $100 towards it each month to ensure I'm not charged interest. I also put all of my other Home Depot purchases throughout the year on that card, but those purchases accrue interest if I don't pay them off at the end of each month.

So basically I'm looking for the easiest way to make YNAB calculate my credit card payment each month as "all new purchases + that appliance purchase/24"

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

This is no different from having a card with an existing balance isn't it? Just assign an extra 100 to the category for that card every month, you only have to do it on the first of every month right?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
That interest free credit card balance can just be treated as a fixed term, interest free loan. poo poo loads of appliance and tech stores do that sort of thing. It's just debt you have to pay off now. So set aside a category and put $X every month for it. That bit is easy.

As for your ongoing purchases. Do you get rewards for using the card? If so, it should be enough to be worth the overhead effort of managing it, if not, then there is no reason to use the card. Either way, you buy the new things/appliances only if you have money in the respective categories for it just like every other purchase, and it's a standard line item. Then it's just a matter of transferring that amount over to the card, the transferring shouldn't affect the actual budget, only the initial spend.

If you're putting new stuff on the card without already having the corresponding $ amount in the appropriate category then you're not zero based budgeting yet. You're still stuck in the pre-budget "spent money you don't have" world.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Hello, thread. I just quit my corporate job and now I wanna work part time at a restaurant for a little while, and also try to make some money off a side business. I have some savings, but I think it's probably wise to make a budget, so I can plan out my side business, and because my income is about to be reduced by quite a bit.

I guess companies like mint.com sell your personal info? That sucks. Though I also don't love the YNABJ annual fee. I guess I'll try budgetwise? Would that be appropriate for keeping track of both my personal and my business expenses?

e: I've never made a budget before

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 10, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Be warned budgetwise is a no from me, I liked the price but.. I'd enter a transaction have it register properly in my accounting, but It would reflect 2x-4x in the budget tab.

Example.
Bank balance 1000
Food budget 100

New transaction: food: $75
Bank balance: 925
Food budget: -50, or -200

I stopped using it at the start of this month kuz it was frustrating.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

blaise rascal posted:

Hello, thread. I just quit my corporate job and now I wanna work part time at a restaurant for a little while, and also try to make some money off a side business. I have some savings, but I think it's probably wise to make a budget, so I can plan out my side business, and because my income is about to be reduced by quite a bit.

I guess companies like mint.com sell your personal info? That sucks. Though I also don't love the YNABJ annual fee. I guess I'll try budgetwise? Would that be appropriate for keeping track of both my personal and my business expenses?

Do the trial?

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

uXs posted:

Do the trial?
All right, will do! Hopefully it isn't as buggy for me as it was for tater salad...

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

blaise rascal posted:

Keep in mind something like Mint and YNAB are very different ways of budgeting. Mint is a passive traditional style of budget and YNAB/Budgetwise are zero-sum budgets, I recommend reading about the difference before you choose a place. https://www.thesimpledollar.com/how-and-why-to-use-a-zero-sum-budget/

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

greazeball posted:

Phone
  • Samsung Galaxy S8
  • YNAB Classic App

Desktop
  • Windows 10
  • YNAB4
  • Dropbox Basic

What I've done
  • Restarted the phone

Something about the sequence of the steps seemed to be the key. I got feedback on the forum and through the help email and it seems to have fixed things (for now): https://support.youneedabudget.com/t/180ga9

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm using YNAB4. Against better judgement, I currently have my emergency fund in a mutual fund. Nothing too risky, but the balance goes up and down a bit daily. I'd like to occasionally account for the ups and downs.

It's currently on-budget, as it's its own part of my cash management account that I'll be shuffling money in and out of. Adjusting for gains and losses is easy in off-budget accounts because you can just keep changing the amount of one transaction and it doesn't need a category or throw off the budgeted amount. But in on-budget, you can't get away with that. I'll be entering in transactions for dividends, since once I receive it, that's that, but I'd like to keep things balanced for changes in value.

Should I just deal with it not being accurate, or move it off-budget?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

In my opinion, use Mint for a high level overview of your finances, assets, investments, credit score and leave ynab to your daily money management. Its much easier that way. I look at both of them every day.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Simpsons Reference posted:

I'm using YNAB4. Against better judgement, I currently have my emergency fund in a mutual fund. Nothing too risky, but the balance goes up and down a bit daily. I'd like to occasionally account for the ups and downs.

It's currently on-budget, as it's its own part of my cash management account that I'll be shuffling money in and out of. Adjusting for gains and losses is easy in off-budget accounts because you can just keep changing the amount of one transaction and it doesn't need a category or throw off the budgeted amount. But in on-budget, you can't get away with that. I'll be entering in transactions for dividends, since once I receive it, that's that, but I'd like to keep things balanced for changes in value.

If I were you and wanted to keep doing this I'd keep the float transactions as your "Emergency Fund" and only adjust once a month. The Reconcile feature works for this, just change the category.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Simpsons Reference posted:

I would suggest keeping it on budget and just reconciling it less frequently if it's too much trouble?

We keep term deposits on budget, but interest is payed at maturity so it's easy to manage. We keep savings accounts on budget too, which pays out interest monthly and we just enter the interest as income.

For me, the defining factor of ""on" vs "off" budget is roughly "can I get at this money now" and "does it have a job". Term deposits are naturally fixed term, but you can typically pull the money out at the expense of any interest accrued. Not a very good idea and means you hosed up your planning, but it's still possible. Regardless, it has a job. It's saving up for voluntary mortgage payments, so it's a line in the budget, it has a job.

This is opposed to something like our Kiwisaver accounts, which I believe is roughly equivalent to 401k? It's a pension account that can only be grabbed at retirement or used for your first home. These are off-budget and we just have a monthly reconciliation (sometimes we cbf logging in and just leave it months at a time). This money doesn't really have a job we can control, I mean, it's obviously for when we retire, but we can't just decide we want to use it for the mortgage or to buy a pile of puppies or whatever so it being on budget is sort of pointless.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm going on holiday next week and I usually track spending in a spreadsheet when it's in a different currency. Which of financier or budgetwise is worth checking out for a 2 week trial? Do they work offline or do they need to be online to work? I'll be the only one entering anything so sync won't really be an issue.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Financier for free is exactly the same as paid, except there's no online syncing, it's all saved locally and if you clear your cache your data is gone. It's also just 12 bucks a year and probably isn't going to get any more updates unless someone takes initiative to dig into the open-sourced frontend.

Financier should work locally as long as it's all in cache.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How is financiar compared to ynab. I've been doing the free trial and am almost done and will need to fork over 83 bux which saddens me. Budgetwise was nice but I had bugs that broke poo poo.

The bank sync is kind of nice but I usually enter most of my stuff before it hits. One time I was lazy and said f it I'll let the transactions happen.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
financier is adaquate, it doesn't have bank sync or scheduled transactions and the reports are lackluster. everything else is as good as ynab. I'll keep using it cause it's cheap

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't use any of the reports. And bank sync is meh for me not worth the extra 70 a year. If I can just sync online and enter stuff on my PC I'm happy

Are there actual reports for Nynab? I only see 2 in the app.

I'll probably switch on July 1..

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 27, 2019

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
FYI one of the YNAB extensions dumps all of our account balances and transactions into a Google Sheet.

https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/sheets_for_ynab/299979094355

I honestly get a lot of mileage out of it because I like having needlessly complicated spreadsheets that add little utility to my life.

It also makes it a lot easier to filter and export transactions.

The one caveat I'd make is that a) for some reasons all my transactions were imported with the date off by one day (easily fixable with a formula) and b) it's clearly been abandoned by the creator so if it doesn't work for you as is, then don't expect fixes coming any day soon.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah but my work is endlessly complex spreadsheets so I don't want to do it at home ;p

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Someone have a link to financier? Maybe I don't have the right one?
The one I downloaded doesn't seem to have "categories" the that I can allocate funds to for each group like YNAB does.

So looks like I'm going to have to eat 84bucks and just use YNAB for a year. It does well, I wish there was just a more "budget" option that didn't allow for auto-transactions. I really don't use them and enter in everything as it happens. I also am in my checking account every 3-5 days to go through my transactions to make sure nothing is hiding / fraud happens.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

Someone have a link to financier? Maybe I don't have the right one?
The one I downloaded doesn't seem to have "categories" the that I can allocate funds to for each group like YNAB does.

So looks like I'm going to have to eat 84bucks and just use YNAB for a year. It does well, I wish there was just a more "budget" option that didn't allow for auto-transactions. I really don't use them and enter in everything as it happens. I also am in my checking account every 3-5 days to go through my transactions to make sure nothing is hiding / fraud happens.

You shouldn't need to download anything, it's completely in browser.

https://financier.io/ Desktop site
https://app.fmobile.io/ 3rd party mobile site, as I understand it

Financier is my "daily driver" but I'm hoping to move to budgetwise eventually. As others have said, there are effectively zero reports with financier which is pretty annoying. It does work well for how I use it, though.

In my opinion budgetwise isn't ready yet. There is a redesign coming soon that should address a lot of the lag issues I was having, but I'm still waiting on some other functionality before I can switch over for sure.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

thanks I thoguht there was a mobile app.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I still haven't looked into this too heavily yet, although it's something I still want to do. In the meantime, do you guys have any suggestions for monthly budget templates? I know google sheets has a few but the ones I've found all seem to be in pounds and I have no idea how to change that to dollars and it keeps breaking the templates.

Luckily I think my bank will give me a .csv breakdown of my spending for the month so that will make it a lot easier to sort that into a spreadsheet so I can see where my money is going and start tracking it easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I don't think a template is really necessary.. You just need to sit down and list all of your monthly expenses, without worrying too much about the amounts yet. After a few months, you'll get a far more useful average for your spending.