Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't really care what system they use, I just enjoyed it more when it was chaotic and humorous rather than collaborative and emotional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I don't really care what system they use, I just enjoyed it more when it was chaotic and humorous rather than collaborative and emotional.

the ship has fuckin sailed there, dude

The 7th Guest posted:

I read every "Griffin is a bad DM" post with an additional silent "unlike ME"

i've never gm'ed a game in my life but i know the difference between good and bad gm'ing

Alaois fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 15, 2019

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
They seem to enjoy themselves, so I think that's good. And people seem to enjoy listening to it, so that's also good. I guess he's bad though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

thebardyspoon posted:

Have they really said that viewership is down? That's interesting, I feel like this arc has been like, hypertargeted at the exact crowd that made TAZ so popular and the parts of this thread that aren't massive fans (myself included) were just grumpy outliers.

Yeah I think in the last The The Adventure Zone Zone they mentioned that the big break and miniarcs really did a number on their numbers

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah I think in the last The The Adventure Zone Zone they mentioned that the big break and miniarcs really did a number on their numbers

that was my impression too, not that this new season was the problem but rather the gap period

also all of this is relative: no idea what the new numbers are but iircTAZ was literally the most successful show on maximum fun

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I don't care what system they go with next but I hope it's a silly story and the goofs are a flowin.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

I don't care what system they go with next but I hope it's a silly story and the goofs are a flowin.

Me too but I think it’s time to give up this hope. Their new direction seems pretty solidified at this point. It started with the Stolen Century and they’ve never looked back.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alaois posted:

i've never gm'ed a game in my life but i know the difference between good and bad gm'ing
heres a guide to GMing:

- the players are having a good time

the end

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Improbable Lobster posted:

Which is kinda funny, when you think about it: weren't we getting an episode every week?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Running a game is so much harder than you think.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So one of the new TAZs from the liveshows is called The Adventure Zone Hootenanny

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

dantheman650 posted:

Me too but I think it’s time to give up this hope. Their new direction seems pretty solidified at this point. It started with the Stolen Century and they’ve never looked back.

It’s entirely possible that a Clint or Justin lead arc might have a lighter tone

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So one of the new TAZs from the liveshows is called The Adventure Zone Hootenanny

I thought Honey Heist was the H series. :mad:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zero One posted:

I thought Honey Heist was the H series. :mad:

They settled on Furry

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

So I assume G will be the new regular podcast show. Here's hoping for Adventure Zone: Gun.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
All I know about the next long-term campaign is it should be a sci-fi setting where the PCs are in contact with a black market gun runner known only as Top Cat.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Now that's the good poo poo

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Amnesty is fine, they just need to stop splitting/being split up so much. I think that's where it gets overly dramatic, see also the last two arcs of Balance which were solo missions in a similar manner.

General Ironicus posted:

All I know about the next long-term campaign is it should be a sci-fi setting where the PCs are in contact with a black market gun runner known only as Top Cat.

:yeah: I want to know more about this cabal of cat merchants that connects all the different TAZ settings.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Adventure Zone: Feline

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Griffin could, you know, just kill characters like every other DM when the party splits up. Encounters shouldn't get any easier.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

um excuse me posted:

Griffin could, you know, just kill characters like every other DM when the party splits up. Encounters shouldn't get any easier.

Well, to be fair he did.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The 7th Guest posted:

I read every "Griffin is a bad DM" post with an additional silent "unlike ME"

There's no such thing as a good DM, everyone in the whole world sucks at it but we're all just doing our best.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

General Ironicus posted:

Next one should be Shadowrun

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Any reports from the Nashville show?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not as down on Griffin as a DM as the rest of you (in that I think he's good at the specific thing they're doing, which isn't "running an RPG for the consumption of only the people playing the RPG"), and I also believe him and the others when they say that not nearly as much is preordained in advance as it seems, but god, yeah, the splitting up happens way too often for my tastes.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Blades in the Dark for the next game.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Gorefiend posted:

Blades in the Dark for the next game.

But only if one of them goes to jail and they roll a new character until the old one gets out.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTTA8eQCQXQ

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

docbeard posted:

It is a lot to keep straight (which is one reason I'm listening to the early episodes again).

My understanding of things (only spoiling stuff that is new from the last episode and maybe some pivotal stuff from the one before), also I have basically no idea how anything is spelled:

(Big long summary)
Thanks a million for this, my mind has been wandering a lot during the last arc or two and I’ve missed a lot of stuff that’s been laid out explicitly, let alone implied. I don’t mind the narrative focus the podcast has taken (loved Stolen Century) but this one has been tough to stick with lately.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

committing

https://twitter.com/sydthekid_19/status/1140122921391796224

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man I've been sticking with Amnesty and paying a lot of attention and even I didn't catch the immense amounts of obvious foreshadowing that the abominations have actually nothing to do with Sylvain at all until it was laid out in the clip episode

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I never had it click in my head but I was always gathering there wasn't a legitimate connection between the two. The spirits of the things never looked like anything we'd seen up to that point.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ironic brand engagement is a very delicate line to walk, and Justin is doing it with incredible gusto. I can’t wait to find out what noise Griffin is producing that results in this facial expression.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
McElroys have been in the pocket of Big Dairy Queen beginning from the time of the Saints Row 3 Monster Factory until now

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ariong posted:

Ironic brand engagement is a very delicate line to walk, and Justin is doing it with incredible gusto. I can’t wait to find out what noise Griffin is producing that results in this facial expression.

I'd say it rocks if only their fans didn't engage with the product they're poking fun of. I call it the Szechuan effect.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Ariong posted:

Ironic brand engagement is a very delicate line to walk, and Justin is doing it with incredible gusto.

This ain't the man's first rodeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfJajuI-t2U

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

buddhist nudist fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 17, 2019

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

um excuse me posted:

I'd say it rocks if only their fans didn't engage with the product they're poking fun of. I call it the Szechuan effect.

You mean you don't immediately road trip to the markets they discuss in Munch Squad, get the item, and then sit there making expectant eye contact with everyone who walks by going "eh? EH? ... shrimp heaven now?"

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Any reports from the Nashville show?
I went to MBMBAM, and it was solid. Travis tried a new bit that we probably won't be hearing again. An audience member who asked a question at the Nashville show the other year came back with an update.

Guess I know why we get a Munch Squad every week. It's super popular. Just about every 10th person in the crowd was wearing a Munch Squad t shirt, and the entire venue went loving nuts as soon as Justin started the bit. I don't remember a time I've heard a Ryman audience get so loud.

Apparently this was given to Justin by a girl sitting behind me at the show. Really makes me wonder what other dumb stuff we can get Justin to wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah I'm not going to lie, drove by DQ Baskin Robbins the other day and saw an advertisement for the Stranger Things, uh, treats, and there's definitely a part of me that wants to try them out after Justin talked about them. Probably moreso because I feel like we in Canada (at least, in non-Toronto/Vancouver areas) rarely get any of this weird stuff.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 17, 2019