Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What life as a typical person was like is actually hard to really know in many cases! With mass illiteracy and only the wealthy and powerful (and the people who worked for them) learning how to read and write, most of the surviving written record for thousands of years has to do with the literate classes. I don't think it's until the 17th or 18th century where literacy in Europe and the Americas starts becoming common enough that journals from regular people who aren't of the middle and upper class survive for the historical record. There's a lot of unanswered questions about just basic facts of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I recently read a novel (Sycorax, by H. W. Taylor) set in a world where large corporations bought up frozen people and then kept them in indentured servitude when they thawed. It was an interesting take on the question.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Imagine finding yourself on the future research panel. After the guy from Egypt has explained the Sphinx and the Ethiopian has described what the Sahara was like when it was lush and fertile they turn to you "why was the grumpy cat worshipped?".

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well fine. They end up entering a society that's both familiar and completely alien in all the worst ways and almost immediately become shocked and traumatised, and society considers its job done by fulfilling the ancient pact then kicks them out onto the street to fend for themselves since everything they ever owned is long gone, and they end up just yet another kind of transient undesirable in a world that's already trying to ignore plenty of its own problems.

The future of your frozen head is probably more like "Hey man, throw another frozen head in the cooler. Beer's gettin warm."

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Whooping Crabs posted:

The future of your frozen head is probably more like "Hey man, throw another frozen head in the cooler. Beer's gettin warm."

I'm okay with this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well fine. They end up entering a society that's both familiar and completely alien in all the worst ways and almost immediately become shocked and traumatised, and society considers its job done by fulfilling the ancient pact then kicks them out onto the street to fend for themselves since everything they ever owned is long gone, and they end up just yet another kind of transient undesirable in a world that's already trying to ignore plenty of its own problems.

I keep telling you Futurama is not a documentary

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The_White_Crane posted:

It's not about knowing how things work so much as about knowing... IDK.

"What does it mean to 'swipe right'? Why was that a positive thing?"
"Did the 'thin blue line' refer to all of the police, or just the Sheriff's Departments?"
"Why was diet coke viewed as being effeminate?"

Social poo poo that people from the period know about through cultural osmosis but which isn't likely to be documented in any enduring form, and which future historians are likely to come across only as passing references in surviving sources.
"What man is she referring to, and what was he doing to his anus?"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Samuringa posted:

How much would a random person even know about anything? Would one nowadays random person be able to tell how most things, hell, anything works, even considering we can search for something online?

We could ask them what those roman dodecahedrons were really made for so we could shut up that stupid timecube guy once and for all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Attention future people: if you resurect me I promise to explain what this means:
I II
II L

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
And I will introduce you to an old friend

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Rectal Death Adept posted:

We could ask them what those roman dodecahedrons were really made for so we could shut up that stupid timecube guy once and for all.

Romans confirmed for nerds

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Romans confirmed for nerds

it's true

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
2238 - Congragation of The Church of Sick-rear end Bike Tricks

"And thus the Lord spake, do not taze mine own self, Bro. But Officer Satan, the deceiver in blue, did not heed our Lords cries, and did visit upon him a sick taze. Thus the lesson is ended. Now my children, don't forget the interfaith barbecue this weekend, and on the 27th we'll be protesting against Straight Marriage outside the law courts on Lexington."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Attention future people: if you resurect me I promise to explain what this means:
I II
II L

:.|:;

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In what format does the Library of Congress preserve us?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

chitoryu12 posted:

What life as a typical person was like is actually hard to really know in many cases! With mass illiteracy and only the wealthy and powerful (and the people who worked for them) learning how to read and write, most of the surviving written record for thousands of years has to do with the literate classes. I don't think it's until the 17th or 18th century where literacy in Europe and the Americas starts becoming common enough that journals from regular people who aren't of the middle and upper class survive for the historical record. There's a lot of unanswered questions about just basic facts of life.

Going from the graffiti at Pompei, we still tend towards particular swears and insults.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

"What man is she referring to, and what was he doing to his anus?"

"Who was 'she', and what is the significance that she, in fact, said 'it'?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

so we could shut up that stupid timecube guy once and for all.

Sadly, time already took care of that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

chitoryu12 posted:

In what format does the Library of Congress preserve us?

garbage bags

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Who was 'she', and what is the significance that she, in fact, said 'it'?"
Scientist: We're hoping you'll fill a lot of gaps.
Me: That's what she said :v:
Different, older scientist: *kool aid man's through a wall brandishing papers laughing and crying simultaneously*

Splicer has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Jun 14, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2009-09-14

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Relevant XKCDSMBC

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

And now she kind of knows what it's like to be a lady frog.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Didn't know there were Egyptian tombs in Arabia. The more you know!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

clearly he hosed up the staff of ra alignment

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Home invader fought off by 11-year-old hitting him in the head with a machete.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jason is a good boy

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

clearly he hosed up the staff of ra alignment

That's what she said.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2019/06/13/this-works-group-says-drinking-your-own-pee-good-for-you/

:barf:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Eh, if the Romans did it, then it can't be all bad :hist101:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I asked you if you're in therapy. If YOU'RE IN therapy! Jesus!

Don Gato posted:

Eh, if the Romans did it, then it can't be all bad :hist101:

Following the Romans can lead you astray.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

https://www.waff.com/2019/06/14/troopers-kevin-bacon-side-swipes-patrol-car-while-searching-saved-by-bell-episode/

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Not mine, all the sugar and alcohol would be terrible for my kidneys if they had to process it twice.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
That reminds me, I need another vodka and Coke.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dog Urine Lowers Heart-Attack Risk, Say Snickering Researchers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Didn't know there were Egyptian tombs in Arabia. The more you know!

I mean, look at a map.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, look at a map.

What map has Egypt in Arabia?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GrossMurpel posted:

What map has Egypt in Arabia?

I mean they're like right next to each other and all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean they're like right next to each other and all.

There's this body of water between them, and I don't think Egypt was known to spread its temples around, unlike the Greeks. But I could be wrong? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's this body of water between them, and I don't think Egypt was known to spread its temples around, unlike the Greeks. But I could be wrong? :shrug:

I mean I'm just saying it's not totally implausible. Especially since ancient Egypt at times was a lot bigger than the modern one.