Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

complaining about console commands causing bugs is next level. powerful stuff.

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

"I used a debug command which is not intended to be used as part of the normal game experience and it caused unexpected things to happen! what a terribly-programmed game!"

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

I just used the console to end it. get your poo poo together you dumb swedes.

edit: console switching empires and back again hosed up all my resource income. :discourse: keep up the good work.

I thought this was fixed in beta branch do you have that?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zurai posted:

"I used a debug command which is not intended to be used as part of the normal game experience and it caused unexpected things to happen! what a terribly-programmed game!"

because it wasn't working properly in the first place. :jerkbag:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I thought this was fixed in beta branch do you have that?

far as I can tell I'm on the most recent patch, possibly, likely that I am a dumbass and am not.

edit: lol, I didn't see the latest patch. gently caress me.

not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, it's just that I'm tired and slightly drunk and on certain occasions I have argued vehemently with Swedish people about certain important topics (pizza), which has in a certain sense prejudiced me. also I just started playing this again after a big gap and I never actually built a ringworld before, so having that rear end in a top hat war interrupt me was kind of annoying.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 15, 2019

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

after not playing for ... 2 years, I'm trying to jump back in. What err... how do I do planets?

Alternatively, ignore everything they said about pop growth and migration treaties and take Raiding bombing stance, be aggressive and declare wars, and just steal someone elses pops directly. It's much faster and more direct than silly treaties. That works too.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wish there were ships you could have that would make bombardment like, 100x more effective. It takes so long and I just want to ice a bunch of these defensive armies. What kind of rear end in a top hat has 2k defensive armies anyway??

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

I wish there were ships you could have that would make bombardment like, 100x more effective. It takes so long and I just want to ice a bunch of these defensive armies. What kind of rear end in a top hat has 2k defensive armies anyway??
Go have a look at ORBITAL_BOMBARDMENT_DAMAGE_MAX_SCALE in common/defines and kick the settings up to your desired level.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

There is something you can get from the caravaneers that can help. Otherwise, consider drowning your foes in legions of clone troopers.

Having your own fortress worlds on key locations is dead handy as well, as they give naval cap as well as making it bastard hard for opponents to get past.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Is anyone who has played the latest beta patch able to confirm if the infinite army health regen bug has been fixed as well? Most of the other bugs could be played around but that one would stop you in your tracks on heavily fortified planets.

uber_stoat posted:

so are planetary invasions just broken now or is it a mod making mischief for me? I'm invading with overwhelming force and orbital bombing and the defensive armies regen faster than I can damage them.

jokes posted:

That's a bug as old as time. Just keep a small fleet bombarding them forever, if I recall correctly it really fucks up their war exhaustion.

Maybe I'm just not triggering this bug for some reason, but I never encountered this. I'm even using selective bombardment to slow myself down! I'm just crumbling enemy armies with orbital bombardments and invade when only 2-4 armies are left. Works just fine! (Though it would explain why the AI is always failing to retake the planets I took. Maybe they're triggering this bug?) Are you guys doing something different?

Grapplejack posted:

As long we're talking about 2k strength and not literally 2k individual armies, this should be doable. Just park a 20k+ fleet on the planet and as long as there isn't a planetary shield, the armies should tick down pretty fast.

But yeah, some kind of special bombardment weapons to speed up things would be nice. Not even just for the player, in my recent war I saw the AI trying in vain to retake a planet with just like 5 armies on it. Apparently the fleets they were using to bomb them were too small, and therefore every landing attempt failed hilariously. After five years of this poo poo, my defenders were down to 3 armies and still no success by those poor bastards.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

uber_stoat posted:

edit: console switching empires and back again hosed up all my resource income. :discourse: keep up the good work.
The army thing is claimed to be fixed in the beta. Your resource generation should fix itself in the monthly tick, unless it's broke because you left the game running during the switch and the AI did bad things with your economy.

Grapplejack posted:

I wish there were ships you could have that would make bombardment like, 100x more effective.
I believe it's called a colossus.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TMMadman posted:

You can start building the colony ship at 1/2201 (you could do it as early as 11/2200) and the foundry at 2/2201 (that one can't be done earlier), but in order to do so you can't build the mining stations in your homeworld. And as a side effect of not taking MTS, the colony ship arrives before the system is finished surveying (I took expansion as the first tradition) that second system and the starbase doesn't finish until the middle of 11/2202, so your first colony would be done 11 or 12/2206 (as opposed to 2208 in the other tests) . But the flipside of this is that I feel like you sort of stunt yourself in terms of surveying, and I'm not sure if you have enough energy/food to sell in order to buy enough alloys to build a science ship before you start building a colony ship. However, you could almost certainly get both done if you delayed the colony ship a couple months. Also, as another side effect because this is a species/civ that doesn't have get any sort of unity bonus and I didn't build a monument, you don't get your second tradition pick until 1/2004 and then the 3rd pick comes 31 months later, which would be AFTER the colony is finished. So that means you would have to take the +1 colony pop second over the -starbase reduction cost. And as a point of order, the only reason I know how long the colony ship would take to get to the star is because I built it and noted down the length of the trip. Science and construction ships move faster.

See, but I think you think they are the worst because you literally won't pick them when they will be useful.

As a final question, what would you generally consider to be a good start by 2210, at least in terms of material stuff? How many corvettes? How many science/construction ships? Stars claimed? Upgraded starbases? Colonies? Homeworld buildings?

Taking +1 pop before -10% outpost cost seems perfectly fine to me.

Even if you want Discovery, the anomaly speed will be more useful later when you're backfilling anomalies you've skipped, and the disengagement chance is much more useful when you've got level 4 or 5 scientists that you might lose. The survey speed increase is insignificant. Taking it first doesn't make sense to me.

Getting a good start is often more map-dependent than anything, but generally I'd say having used all of your influence on outposts, probably 2 construction ships, five-ish science ships, maybe one starbase and ~10 corvettes (though having less probably isn't a huge deal as long as you have good alloy income), every planet in your territory either colonized or a colony ship on its way or being built. Homeworld buildings is a bit tricky since you want to resettle some of the pops to get colonies to 10, but I'd say you want at least 3 alloy foundries.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kaal posted:

adminstrative capacity are more midgame concerns
Oh heck no! Early expansion is when administrative capacity is most powerful. Knocking +200% down to +190% is a rounding error but +10% to 0% is a huge deal. Yes, admin cap doesn't matter in that you should blow right past it grabbing good systems and spamming planets but while you're doing that you should be chasing that sprawl with admin cap increases as hard as you goddamned can.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Oh heck no! Early expansion is when administrative capacity is most powerful. Knocking +200% down to +190% is a rounding error but +10% to 0% is a huge deal. Yes, admin cap doesn't matter in that you should blow right past it grabbing good systems and spamming planets but while you're doing that you should be chasing that sprawl with admin cap increases as hard as you goddamned can.

This only half of the equation though, if your science and unity output are low early then admin cap doesn't do much. If you anticipate that you'll blow way past admin cap before building many labs/monuments then the admin cap tradition isn't great. The expansion finisher isn't amazing either, so if you're planning on taking a perk with a tech requirement in your first slot (e.g. xenofucking), delaying finishing expansion makes sense. Though ofc you could just take evrything except the starbase upkeep. But if you're not finishing the tree anyway, science and unity buffs might not be high priority.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is it really worthwhile to take 70% habitability world, or should I hold off until the boosts from tech?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Is it really worthwhile to take 70% habitability world, or should I hold off until the boosts from tech?

I do it all the time (my cut-off is below 60%), so I would say yes.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Should I squash these humans I found in the l-cluster? They seem dodgy

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
testing the new beta, since i couldn't conquer empty inhabitable world somehow...
anyway, the patch fixed that problem..

buuuuuut..

at the same time, i was building habitats over strategic resources, 3 of them infact, since i wanted to see how the new habitats looked, and i see if i could mass produce them instead of getting a measly +1 from a orbital station.
So i finished up the war i was in, and was gonna check my new habitats, but noooo... all 3 habitats turned had into 3 orbital stations, losing me 9k alloys and 600 influence..

I guess i'll wait to next patch then to finish my new game ... oh well

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Libluini posted:

Maybe I'm just not triggering this bug for some reason, but I never encountered this. I'm even using selective bombardment to slow myself down! I'm just crumbling enemy armies with orbital bombardments and invade when only 2-4 armies are left. Works just fine! (Though it would explain why the AI is always failing to retake the planets I took. Maybe they're triggering this bug?) Are you guys doing something different?

The bug was not immediately obvious (at least to me) for most of the game I discovered it in; with most AI planets you only have 600-800 garrison strength and if you outnumber them considerably you'll still win without issue. I only began noticing it in the late game when planets wouldn't be captured as quickly, I was taking heavier losses and bombardment didn't seem to be as effective as before. It then became readily apparent when trying to deal with a fallen empire that had some ~4K garrison strength on their homeworld and bombardment wasn't even making a dent. The neutron sweeper had to be called in to fix that issue.

I've not yet had a chance to play and see if the bug is still there. Patch notes say they aren't be some other people are still reporting some buggyness with 2.3.2 so I'm not 100% sure it's gone.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

The AI is still super confused about the Great Khan. It doesn't treat getting torn up by the marauders as a big deal, and just now it actively stopped me from helping- this AI empire was getting eaten up after a bunch of the Khan's fleets used a wormhole to pop up in the middle of their territory. Their own fleets were gone, so I went in and beat a bunch of marauder fleets and their big dumb stations and cleared up about half of their territory, bee-lining for the wormhole so I could camp out next to it and knock out the fleets that come through. I wanted to go through the wormhole eventually to find the Great Khan and knock her out, but I was starting to lose ships, so I ordered up a ton of fleet reinforcements and waited...

... and that's when the AI closed their borders to me. My increasingly raggedy fleet on one side, 150 supply of reinforcements on the other. Okay??? I ended up having my ships warp back to home, which meant that the AI went right back to losing systems to the Khan.

The AI acts like there isn't a war going on, even when they're getting chewed apart.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Scourge have spawned and after 10 years have done nothing. They haven't expanded beyond the first four systems and haven't even invaded the inhabited planets in those systems.
Known bug? This is very disappointing.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Staltran posted:

Taking +1 pop before -10% outpost cost seems perfectly fine to me.

Even if you want Discovery, the anomaly speed will be more useful later when you're backfilling anomalies you've skipped, and the disengagement chance is much more useful when you've got level 4 or 5 scientists that you might lose. The survey speed increase is insignificant. Taking it first doesn't make sense to me.

Getting a good start is often more map-dependent than anything, but generally I'd say having used all of your influence on outposts, probably 2 construction ships, five-ish science ships, maybe one starbase and ~10 corvettes (though having less probably isn't a huge deal as long as you have good alloy income), every planet in your territory either colonized or a colony ship on its way or being built. Homeworld buildings is a bit tricky since you want to resettle some of the pops to get colonies to 10, but I'd say you want at least 3 alloy foundries.

I mean I don't disagree that the adoption bonus is more useful when you are backfilling, but it can still be useful to cherry pick some anomalies as you pass by them. Or maybe one of your optimal planets has a hard anomaly on it that you need to clear before colonizing.

And in both starts, I had most of those material goals done, although I didn't have any upgraded star bases and obviously I didn't have the alloy foundries but I was specifically building the monument first for the test.

And it's interesting because at the end of the 10 years, the MTS science ships were only slightly head of where the non-MTS (but +survey survey speed discovery) ships ended up. The first science ship was still about 2 months ahead, the second science ship was just over a month ahead and the third science ship was a couple of weeks ahead.

edit - also, I agree that how a start progresses is map dependent. In a completely different game with a completely different civ, I found an optimal planet in 3 of the first 4 jumps, so I naturally pushed colony ships out as fast as possible while adopting expansion and taking the +1 pop first (both because my civ (and my leader randomly) already had -starbase reduction cost modifiers and the colony would have popped before I could take the 3rd tradition). And as a bonus, there was a 4th optimal planet off the other hyperlane jump from the 2nd planet and a 5th optimal planet 2 jumps from the 3rd planet.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 15, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Staltran posted:

This only half of the equation though, if your science and unity output are low early then admin cap doesn't do much. If you anticipate that you'll blow way past admin cap before building many labs/monuments then the admin cap tradition isn't great. The expansion finisher isn't amazing either, so if you're planning on taking a perk with a tech requirement in your first slot (e.g. xenofucking), delaying finishing expansion makes sense. Though ofc you could just take evrything except the starbase upkeep. But if you're not finishing the tree anyway, science and unity buffs might not be high priority.
I'm arguing against administrative capacity being a midgame concern. There are many sources! And a 5% reduction in time to robots is definitely nothing to sneeze at.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

I'm arguing against administrative capacity being a midgame concern. There are many sources! And a 5% reduction in time to robots is definitely nothing to sneeze at.

I know you're arguing that, I'm arguing it's not a concern in the opening. And also I'm going to go ahead and sneeze at that, each robbit costs 250 energy, 300 minerals, and 50 pop-months of labour to produce. That's quite expensive early on.

e: Also 20 admin cap is also only 5% off the time to robots assuming you're exactly 20 above the cap, and your empire sprawl will not increase at all before you get robots.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 15, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

gender illusionist posted:

Should I squash these humans I found in the l-cluster? They seem dodgy

They're nanobots but you can safely just ignore them forever and nothing will happen. If you want.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
just wanted to mention that science ship evasion can be extremely helpful if you accidentally stumble onto a leviathan early game, super helpful if you're running an insanely lean economy that barely works

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Taear posted:

They're nanobots but you can safely just ignore them forever and nothing will happen. If you want.

Just make sure you mark their home system as prohibited so your science ships don't try to auto-explore into it. You get 1 freebee visit, but after that they don't take kindly to it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

binge crotching posted:

You get 1 freebee visit, but after that they don't take kindly to it.
Not necessarily

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

binge crotching posted:

Just make sure you mark their home system as prohibited so your science ships don't try to auto-explore into it. You get 1 freebee visit, but after that they don't take kindly to it.

What's interesting is that if you go into that system with your ship, get the message from them to gently caress off and then use the subspace travel thing you'll arrive wherever you picked instantly.
I was surprised!

It's also a shame that the subspace travel seems to have been massively slowed down so it almost feels pointless now.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
yeah they definitely changed it from a quick way to move around the galaxy to a years-long expedition to survey that last corner you can't get to.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Taear posted:

What's interesting is that if you go into that system with your ship, get the message from them to gently caress off and then use the subspace travel thing you'll arrive wherever you picked instantly.
I was surprised!

This happens to or from any system which is not accessible by standard hyperlane travel. So if you're entering or leaving the L-Cluster via Subspace Travel, it's instant, and the same with the system which is only accessible via wormhole that has the psionic avatar in it. If you use the mod which makes all of the Precursor Homeworld systems spawn with no hyperlanes but with a wormhole connection to your space, the same thing happens there.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Had the Great Khan, despite mid-game being set to start rolling at 2275, fail to show up until 2425

Fuckin RIP

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Descar posted:

testing the new beta, since i couldn't conquer empty inhabitable world somehow...
anyway, the patch fixed that problem..

buuuuuut..

at the same time, i was building habitats over strategic resources, 3 of them infact, since i wanted to see how the new habitats looked, and i see if i could mass produce them instead of getting a measly +1 from a orbital station.
So i finished up the war i was in, and was gonna check my new habitats, but noooo... all 3 habitats turned had into 3 orbital stations, losing me 9k alloys and 600 influence..

I guess i'll wait to next patch then to finish my new game ... oh well
That sucks, but you can refund yourself those alloys and influence with the console if it was not ironman and if you really want to keep playing the save.

Shugojin posted:

Had the Great Khan, despite mid-game being set to start rolling at 2275, fail to show up until 2425

Fuckin RIP
He can get triggered by his raider faction getting shot at in their own systems, so maybe that happened?

uber_stoat posted:

You should try having a less lovely attitude - that is an effect that happens any time you load into the game or tag-switch, and should fix itself on the monthly tick-over.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Shugojin posted:

Fuckin RIP

...What's your end game start set at? The Khan can only spawn after the end game start if someone destroys a void dwelling. Also it only starts rolling 10 years into the mid-game with the MTTH multiplied by 0.66 50 years into the mid-game, so you're less likely to have the Khan spawn naturally with a short mid-game.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Staltran posted:

...What's your end game start set at? The Khan can only spawn after the end game start if someone destroys a void dwelling. Also it only starts rolling 10 years into the mid-game with the MTTH multiplied by 0.66 50 years into the mid-game, so you're less likely to have the Khan spawn naturally with a short mid-game.

End game was at 2500 with the crisis cranked way up to give me time.

I got bored with that game and started over as robots and got the grand herald and cybrex :yeshaha:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So I invaded a world and after moving onto my next conquest this world is blank?

What the hell?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is there any way to speed up raiding? I can see how it’s useful but i basically have to bombard for a year to get one guy, doesn’t seem like a great return.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Even with the majority of the mods I was using now updated, my game now freezes (along with the system) at the 90% mark loading the game. Should I delete my stellaris documents folder and start from scratch?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

skasion posted:

Is there any way to speed up raiding? I can see how it’s useful but i basically have to bombard for a year to get one guy, doesn’t seem like a great return.

You don't start getting dudes until you hit (iirc) 25% devastation on the planet so it can be useful to use a more destructive bombardment stance to soften it up then switch to raiding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Just build thirty armies and forget about ground combat.