Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Policenaut posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. Weird!

I'm also finding it a little weird how difficult it is to access Jin. I beat the game fully with Cao Cao, then did Lu Bu, and I wanted to get right into Jin but unfortunately the only person I could get into Jin with was like some new girl I don't know called Xin something.

Apparently owning the first Season Pass unlocks absolutely everything because I started with all characters unlocked. Main reason to prioritize certain storylines in my case was to unlock the special horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So I'm about five or six characters deep into DW9, currently doing Liu Bei as part of the set order to unlock all of the encyclopedia. It's kind of sad to see how much weird, misplaced effort is paid in the campaign of kingdom rulers to try and make things seem more exciting or involved than they normally would be. I'm picturing someone at Koei Tecmo dreaming up all these elaborate scenarios where players do these specific chains of events to make big missions come together, but in practice it simply doesn't work. Let me tell you about some of them.

Liu Bei's campaign has a truckload of gimmick missions. There's a mission early on during the Lu Bu conflicts where the whole thing is talking to Yuan Shu about two bases, and he asks you "did you defend that base? y/n, also did you capture THAT base? y/n" and if you answer either of these wrong to the current state of the world it's a Game Over, but with the way DW9 works you just reload right outside of the city and can walk right back in and give different answers. Zhang Fei's wife is present a lot in this campaign, she has a slightly unique looking model but uses the sword & shield, and she's got a mission for you later on where it's just "Hey these three officers need reinforcements! Do you remember the basic character traits of Huang Zhong, Yueying, and Ma Chao?" and it makes me wonder why they bothered. There seem to be a bunch of missions in this game solely devoted to answering a few dialogue options with very low stakes involved.

I just did a mission where Zhuge Liang wants to take over a city from three Cao brothers, and you have to follow him around and listen to this elaborate plan of his where you have to meet a soldier who dresses in Wei army gear to mislead the troops to a specific spot where you have to go hit a gong to alert the hiding archers to appear so they can fire on the Caos. Only the archers don't really do anything and this whole process is just a waste of time because in the amount of time you spent waiting for the troops to get lead down to the courtyard and you going to hit the gong, you could have just ran over and killed the Caos yourself. Hey, you know the famous Eightfold Formation? The big thing Liu Bei had to overcome with Xu Shu's help? There's an entire chapter in Liu Bei's campaign apparently based around this event and a bunch of missions tied to defeating it, and the Eightfold Formation itself is... a small octagon of those tall anti-horse barricades in the middle of a non-descript field and Xiahou Yuan is just chilling out in the center of it. At any time you can just jump these barricades with a horse and go mess him up, but because it's RoTK they act like it's deathly important you foil the Formation. Remember when DW8 had that massive shifting wall maze stage to explore? None of that here!

It feels like Koei Tecmo was desperately trying to prove critics who say Warriors games are just mindless beat-em-ups wrong by including missions that vary from the standard thrust of these games, but they come across as so slapdash and meaningless. Sometimes it comes across as a little nice, like when you're flooding the city to fight Lu Bu's army so you have to go around smashing floodgates, but most of it feels like busywork.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol nice

IIRC "Dragon King" translated literally as Long Wang

I have a Vietnamese friend called "Phuc My" and another called "Phuc Dat"

Asia. Love it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just started DW9 last night and what a bizarre mess it is, seriously feels like they literally threw everything they could think of in in the hope that some of it stuck.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I still can't believe they went with Zhang Fei's kidnapped wife as one of the four DLC characters. :cripes:

But yes, there is a ton of "interesting setup, awful in practice" missions which I can't even get angry about, just sad. Like that one mission where you have to get arrows for your troops, so you go inside a barge that drives to the other shore, where Wu archers shoot at you, and you come back with all the arrows stuck on the barge. You can very visibly see the Wu troops pop in and out of existence and play animations that are slightly desynced from the actual rain of arrows. It's so :smith:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Most of you probably already know it but this 2010 Chinese Three Kingdoms show is actually pretty legit entertaining and its all on youtube with subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llSbAPwg-0

That opening theme still gets me stoked every time I hear it.

Sefal posted:

Cao Cao is the absolute best in that show.

He was! Cao Cao, I think, is a lot more sympathetic for the average person than the arbitrarily 'lol he evil' treatment he gets, and I felt this show straddled that controversy really well.

Guan Yu was cast well, I agree, and depicted well as well, conceit and ego intact. Zhang Fei as well.

Turbo gently caress those westernization efforts though. Learn the loving names, learn some of the culture god dammit. Anyone intimidated by the foreignness of it needs to stop being a coward about learning new things.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Personal favourites of the first two hours of DW9: cutscenes where the people talking are out of focus but the background is in perfect focus, the Assassins Creed spin round of the first tower I climbed showed a wonderful view of CaoCao stood on top of one of the wooden rails with his legs clipping inside.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Azran posted:

I still can't believe they went with Zhang Fei's kidnapped wife as one of the four DLC characters. :cripes:

But yes, there is a ton of "interesting setup, awful in practice" missions which I can't even get angry about, just sad. Like that one mission where you have to get arrows for your troops, so you go inside a barge that drives to the other shore, where Wu archers shoot at you, and you come back with all the arrows stuck on the barge. You can very visibly see the Wu troops pop in and out of existence and play animations that are slightly desynced from the actual rain of arrows. It's so :smith:

Oh my God she's an actual DLC character!? She's so bland and nondescript that I just assumed she's one of the world NPCs they slapped into the role! Oh no! Oh nooooo!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Oh my God she's an actual DLC character!? She's so bland and nondescript that I just assumed she's one of the world NPCs they slapped into the role! Oh no! Oh nooooo!

Yeah, she was added alongside Hua Xiong, Yuan Shu and Dong Bai (who also had unique models before they were released as DLC).

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Azran posted:

The missions could work for sure. Just not in a Dynasty Warriors game, where every character can kill hundreds of soldiers with ease. They would need a more realistic rendition of the series for it to work. I wouldn't mind a less romantic version actually. Would be something to shake up this dying franchise.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Azran posted:

Yeah, she was added alongside Hua Xiong, Yuan Shu and Dong Bai (who also had unique models before they were released as DLC).

Dong Bai ended up way more interesting than she has any right to be but I really don't understand why Xiahou Ji and Hua Xiong were made into characters. There's almost nothing interesting you can do with them.

Yuan Shu is amazing, of course.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I kinda enjoyed Hua Xiong being so stupid that he never really caught on that Dong Zhuo is evil. But yeah whatever the future of the series, I hope Dong Bai and Yuan Shu stick around.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 14, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dong Bai more like Dong Bae

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Considering that I'm not touching DW9 at any point in its existence, hopefully I get to check these characters out in a later, better incarnation.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
As bad as most of the DLC in DW9 is, the ones where you get to play alt-histories for a bunch of the strategists who died young or without accomplishing their goal seem to be fun and better paced than the main story campaigns. I really enjoyed Guo Jia's DLC route - you rejoin the rest of the Wei strategist sentai squad at Chi Bi to save the day and go on to take the realm through everyone's combined strategies. Guo Jia is the main focus but each of the Wei strategists gets a nice little moment to shine. :3:

I actually kind of enjoy DW9 regardless though. I think my husband picked it up on a heavy discount just before WO4 came out so I missed the worst of the bugs and game design from launch. There's still loads of jankiness but at this point I find it mostly funny rather than sad.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I got it on release and have enjoyed it throughout. It's definitely better than it was, but I always liked it.

I also like Dynasty Warriors 6, though, so I'm sure my opinions on things mean very little.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst thing about DW9 is that the music is all crap serious orchestral stuff and I want butt rock and ancient Chinese techno

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ghost-Slug posted:

As bad as most of the DLC in DW9 is, the ones where you get to play alt-histories for a bunch of the strategists who died young or without accomplishing their goal seem to be fun and better paced than the main story campaigns. I really enjoyed Guo Jia's DLC route - you rejoin the rest of the Wei strategist sentai squad at Chi Bi to save the day and go on to take the realm through everyone's combined strategies. Guo Jia is the main focus but each of the Wei strategists gets a nice little moment to shine. :3:

I actually kind of enjoy DW9 regardless though. I think my husband picked it up on a heavy discount just before WO4 came out so I missed the worst of the bugs and game design from launch. There's still loads of jankiness but at this point I find it mostly funny rather than sad.

Reminds me of DW8's Hypothetical-branch version of the Climax stage for each campaign, where completing all the side-objectives unlocks a different version of the historic "Things go poorly" level for each group where all the people who suddenly aren't dead this time come together to make poo poo not turn out horribly this time.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

PureRok posted:

I got it on release and have enjoyed it throughout. It's definitely better than it was, but I always liked it.

I also like Dynasty Warriors 6, though, so I'm sure my opinions on things mean very little.

I liked the Lu Bu campaign in 6. It was very over the top. That was also peak ridiculous Lu Bu design with the huge black armor and blade windmill thing. He looked... very silly on horseback.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Ghost-Slug posted:

So the best DLC stuff in DW9 is what you get as the alt-lines in DW8XL.

:hmmyes:

Randallteal posted:

I liked the Lu Bu campaign in 6. It was very over the top. That was also peak ridiculous Lu Bu design with the huge black armor and blade windmill thing. He looked... very silly on horseback.

Nope, ain't buying it. As absurd as the designs and weapon designations can get, of all characters Lu Bu manages to stay relatively close to the the Qing portrait when it matters, and that is when he shines:

The cross-pike is Lingqi's weapon now. gently caress DW9. Fite me IRL.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I have good news for you for the low low price of $3.99

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

lurksion posted:

I have good news for you for the low low price of $3.99

FITE. ME. IRL.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

So the best DLC stuff in DW9 is what you get as the alt-lines in DW8XL.

:hmmyes:

Nope, ain't buying it. As absurd as the designs and weapon designations can get, of all characters Lu Bu manages to stay relatively close to the the Qing portrait when it matters, and that is when he shines:

I prefer this depiction of Lu Bu

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

I prefer this depiction of Lu Bu

Lol, I recently showed this to a friend who is familiar with DW and they reacted with "whoa, I can't believe Lu Bu is drinking Pepsi... that's crazy..."

Her tone of voice was as if he had personally sold out and let her down

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

He's pursuing Lu Burp

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Lol, I recently showed this to a friend who is familiar with DW and they reacted with "whoa, I can't believe Lu Bu is drinking Pepsi... that's crazy..."

I mean, it fits. Lu Bu was a massive sellout IRL. hosed over his family for a horse. Then for a vague promise of getting laid. And then threw a tantrum when his host wanted him to stop beating up his family.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sudden Javelin posted:

Do not pursue Lu Bu. He has gone corpo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh man, the cut scene direction in 9 can get so ridiculously bad sometimes. I'm nearing the end of the Jin campaign as Wang Yuanji and I just did the mission where the Simas finally kill Emperor Cao Mao, which is a pretty big moment for Wei so naturally they have something cool lined up right? Jia Chong sends Zhao away so he doesn't have to carry the burden of being an Emperor killer, and I'm waiting for the dramatic animated cutscene to kick in and... Jia Chong just walks towards the Emperor at the top of the steps on his throne, off in the distance, and the game's camera awkwardly turns and zooms in on it, but they never figured out how to move the position of the camera during these dialogue cutscenes (only how to rotate it) so it's seriously just zooming in on the image already on the screen meaning it's incredibly blurry and blown up. You don't get to see anything (he pulls out his swords) and it cuts to Zhao outside listening to the Emperor's death screams then he kind of awkwardly proposes to Yuanji in some way, and she runs away and Zhao ruminates on the notion of the Three Kingdoms being relics.

There's like three different rendered fancy cutscenes in this game depicting Lu Bu killing Dong Zhuo in different timelines but the End of Wei gets that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Just fully completed DW9 with a game time of about 152 hours. Beat the game with about 18 different characters to unlock all the battles and spent the remainder of the time with my favorite Sima Shi in free mode mopping up trophies. I've included a few pictures of my time in China just for funsies, most of which are amusing glitches or foibles of the game.

After spending so much time with this game, I feel like I have a handle on how I feel about it by now. I personally think this game's combat system works! I grew to really enjoy flow attacks over time and having universal options for stun/launch/down attack for everyone was a great idea, and it's neat to have a character-exclusive "EX" style move mapped in there too. All they need to do is add a Triangle combo ender move to bridge that gap between classic and DW9 style combat. As always some weapons have some pretty garbo movesets (every founding Three Kingdoms ruler is terrible) but I would be perfectly happy to see DW9's combat come back in future games. It looks like this game is being unpersoned though so I guess it's back to that style.

I don't think I can say the same for the open world format. I came and went on liking it over this period of time, but I think in the end I feel like it's more of a detriment and I would prefer more static, handcrafted stages over the malaise of open world China. I was initially all for exploring China, and to their credit there's some neat little set pieces to discover, but much of the cities are bland and many of the cool fights of old look so rinky dink and budget in it. Chi Bi shouldn't be like 4 boats on a river, and the Eightfold Formation shouldn't be a few fences in a field. Missions are slapdash and bad sometimes, I shouldn't fast travel to a mission starting point only to learn the mission is actually one of those stealth tailing missions and the fast travel point drops you right on top of the tailing target so you insta-fail the mission. Why are there missions where they amount to "go here, talk to this person?"

https://twitter.com/Dr_Drecula/status/1141738667708440576

The Chinese voice acting is a fun novelty, but even as a non-speaker I can tell a lot of it is bad. Cao Cao sounds like he's slurring through every line, like I could barely hear him in cutscenes over the music. There's some really good performances though, like the guy they got to do Sima Yi was obviously hired by them asking "can you do The Laugh?" and by God he did. The story is even more pared back and barebones than it was in 8 which is so disappointing, and a lot of it is tied to specific characters so there are big plot arcs (i.e. Ling Tong and Gan Ning's rivalry) that go completely ignored if you aren't playing as/orbiting near those characters.

Lastly, I gave that original base game Lightning Sword a whirl with Sima Shi for about three minutes before deciding it was completely garbage and dropping the five bucks to get his 7/8-style DLC Lightning Sword and the difference was night and day. Classic crouch, that original pose, and the moveset is an incredible mix of cool looking attacks which deal high damage, insane reach, amazing crowd control, and come out incredibly fast. After I got a general groove figured out I was slaughtering these mooks by the thousands with ease on Ultimate and was having a ball! I don't know how I feel about the fact that I had to pay five bucks to play Sima Shi as I would in the last two games.

Oh well, I paid like twenty bucks for this game used at EB and I feel I got more than my money's worth out of it. Can't wait to see how you salvage DW out of this next generation, KT! I'm gonna go play Fire Emblem Warriors next... after I finish Judgment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Y'all would probably get a kick out of this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OetQqaTPAgk

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Zaphod42 posted:

Y'all would probably get a kick out of this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OetQqaTPAgk

Is Guan Yu still fighting that guy?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm just dissapointed that 9 had such a backlash we won't get an empires.

The open world with a bit more polish would be amazing for an Empires style game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Total war makes me wish they would stop improving the model detail and instead just render 10,000 soldiers on screen at once.

The last few games seemed to get bad about rendering past 10 feet in front of you.

Haven't played 9 though. They should get the assassin's creed odyssey engine for the next DW.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just want literally any new Empires game on PC. I'll loving take AoT Empires, or One Piece Empires, at this point even. I'm desperate.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what about age of empires

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Davincie posted:

what about age of empires

Reminded me of some lost, discontinued webcomic from 98 or 99 that had an awful pun about 'Asia Vampires' as a running joke. Though I suppose 'Code:Vein' is finally bringing that one to life.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Policenaut posted:

A lot of words about DW9!
Since it's in the current steam sale for $36 I went looking for this thread to find out if they every made DW9 good or not. Sounds like it ultimately ended up...kind of ok? Feels like the $20 'naut paid is about what is should go for. There's three season passes worth of additional content too.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

5er posted:

Reminded me of some lost, discontinued webcomic from 98 or 99 that had an awful pun about 'Asia Vampires' as a running joke. Though I suppose 'Code:Vein' is finally bringing that one to life.

One of the great disappointments of my young life is hearing one of my friends at a LAN party talking about Age of Empires and hearing "Ancient Vampires."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Molestationary Store posted:

Since it's in the current steam sale for $36 I went looking for this thread to find out if they every made DW9 good or not. Sounds like it ultimately ended up...kind of ok? Feels like the $20 'naut paid is about what is should go for. There's three season passes worth of additional content too.

How many of those are the old unique weapons ripped out to sell as DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Season Pass 1 has 3 weapons, Season Pass 2 has 6 and Season Pass 3 has 6 more.

Namely: Sword & Hook (Xu Shu), Emei Piercers (Wang Yi), Claws (Zhang He), Curved Sword (Zhou Tai), Serpent Blade (Zhang Fei), Inferno Voulge (Sun Jian), Dual Hookblades (Yue Jin), Lightning Sword (Sima Shi), Crescent Edge (Li Dian), Crossed Pike (Lu Lingqi), Tooth & Nail (Huang Zhong, it's an actual bow), Tripartite Nunchuks (Zhu Ran), Bow & Rod (Xiahou Yuan), Tempest Mace (Guan Yinping) and Iron Flute (Zhenji).

RIP Cao Ren's shield.