Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I think Ulysses is my prime example for "I would love this app if I could buy it, but there is absolutely zero chance I am going to pay for a subscription."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’ve bought several apps by Marco Ament.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Hell they're on Tweetbot 5 (!) and the first one still works fine for me.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

is this really that egregious for an app some people last paid for almost seven years ago?

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Legs Benedict posted:

is this really that egregious for an app some people last paid for almost seven years ago?

This is really the best IAP way. gently caress apps that don't give you a "forever" option

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does Twitteriffic 6 even have actual ads? All I see is a "Support Twitteriffic" menu item.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Aside from the subscription model, how does Twitterific currently stand to Tweetbot? Speaking of, are either still viable alternative to the main Twitter app?

I remember them having some drastic cuts to the APIs to non official Twitter apps.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

virinvictus posted:

Aside from the subscription model, how does Twitterific currently stand to Tweetbot? Speaking of, are either still viable alternative to the main Twitter app?

I remember them having some drastic cuts to the APIs to non official Twitter apps.
I use Tweetbot daily, and aside from getting notifications a little late and polls not displaying, yeah, it's definitely a viable alternative to the main app to the point where I never want to use the main app except to see polls sometimes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What’s the advantage of these Twitter apps over the official one these days?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s the advantage of these Twitter apps over the official one these days?

You get an actual timeline of the tweets posted & retweeted by the people you follow, ordered by time, without ads, algorithmic bullshit, or tweets people liked injected into it, and the interface doesn't change every week.

Twitter is completely unusable without a third party app.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There's still no way to get twitter links to open in a third-party app instead of the official client if you have it installed, right?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arcsech posted:

You get an actual timeline of the tweets posted & retweeted by the people you follow, ordered by time, without ads, algorithmic bullshit, or tweets people liked injected into it, and the interface doesn't change every week.

Twitter is completely unusable without a third party app.

I only get a very occasional ads using the official app. And tweets are in order, with no extra poo poo. And the interface never changes.

What I’m saying is none of this is true.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I only get a very occasional ads using the official app. And tweets are in order, with no extra poo poo. And the interface never changes.

You must have a special Twitter app.

I just checked again and nothing is in order and I get a promoted tweet every 5th one.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

welcome to twitter’s a/b testing hell where most people see this

and you see something different because you got lucky

most people have the algorithmic timeline and more ads and have to opt in to a chronological timeline with a setting that decays after like an hour of inactivity

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I changed emails for a lot of my accounts and 1password still shows my old entries a long with the new ones. How do you get rid of entries you don’t want to see?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Choose old entry, Edit, scroll to bottom, tap move to trash?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

There's still no way to get twitter links to open in a third-party app instead of the official client if you have it installed, right?

You should be able to use Opener to fix that issue. Some apps however do allow third party Twitter apps to open Twitter. For example Apollo lets you do that.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Clark Nova posted:

There's Opener. I know for a fact it supports the official client, Tweetbot, and Twitterific

Edit: I should really have refreshed the page. At least there's a link there for you

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Choose old entry, Edit, scroll to bottom, tap move to trash?

It only comes up through iOS when it’s time to input passwords. Think it’s an iOS issue but I’ve stopped using icloud passwords.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Getting ads are kinda a plus for me since I’ve muted so many promoted ads that I only get really strange promoted things now and it’s hilarious.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does tweetbot still not show the number of likes/replies/retweets of a tweet on the feed? What a dumb design decision.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Does tweetbot still not show the number of likes/replies/retweets of a tweet on the feed? What a dumb design decision.

Does the official app clutter up the feed with like/reply/retweet counts? What a dumb design decision.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sometimes I see a tweet that looks interesting and maybe I’d reply but then I see it already have 600 replies and it would just be a waste of time so I don’t bother.

I’d rather not have to find that out by having to click on the tweet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you left swipe on a tweet to get more info in Tweetbot, you can see the number of likes/RTs. It's not like that's missing completely.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I don't know if there's a Shortcut thread, but here's an interesting one I found in this month's CryptoGram from Bruce Schneier.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ios-12-shortcut-uses-iphone-to-record-police-during-traffic-stop-2018-10

Police

quote:

Once the shortcut is installed and configured, you just have to say, for example, "Hey Siri, I'm getting pulled over." Then the program pauses music you may be playing, turns down the brightness on the iPhone, and turns on "do not disturb" mode.

It also sends a quick text to a predetermined contact to tell them you've been pulled over, and it starts recording using the iPhone's front-facing camera. Once you've stopped recording, it can text or email the video to a different predetermined contact and save it to Dropbox.

Here's a link so you can install it directly:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/2d68cb1ee7b84f08ace2fd600b9855b5

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Give it the ability to stop face/Touch ID and require a pin to unlock the phone and it'd be even better.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Legs Benedict posted:

welcome to twitter’s a/b testing hell where most people see this

and you see something different because you got lucky

most people have the algorithmic timeline and more ads and have to opt in to a chronological timeline with a setting that decays after like an hour of inactivity

Yeah I had to click the chronological button when it first appeared months ago and it’s held that setting ever since. I also clicked the “show me less of this” on tweets where it would show me something someone I follow has favorited or whatever a few times and it doesn’t show me that stuff anymore. My feed is just the latest tweets with an occasional sponsored tweet. Weird.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Yeah I had to click the chronological button when it first appeared months ago and it’s held that setting ever since. I also clicked the “show me less of this” on tweets where it would show me something someone I follow has favorited or whatever a few times and it doesn’t show me that stuff anymore. My feed is just the latest tweets with an occasional sponsored tweet. Weird.

Sometimes mine resets after like an hour and other times it stays for weeks. Seems random.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Count me in on the annoyed with Twitterrific camp. Totally understand needing to continue revenue, but when they update the existing app instead of a new App Store entry, it removes the features you had a day before and gives you none. And with iOS not allowing old versions there is no way to go back.

Would be perfectly fine if they just wanted to let 5 rot and develop 6 and charge for that. But they’re not giving users choice. The only feature I use is ad free and I don’t really care to subscribe to pay for that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is Paprika still the app of choice for Meal Planning/Recipe Organization/Ingredient Management?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
My wife and I are renting an apartment in NYC, and we're not taking much with us. To plan furnishing, we have a detailed blueprint of the unit.

Is there an app where we can upload the blueprint and like, drag furniture into the rooms? Or one where I can use exact measurements and draw it myself? So far everything that I've found only allows for estimations, or only allows one room at a time, which isn't particularly helpful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There are a few apps now that use AR to take dimensions of rooms and make a blueprint and they are pretty dang cool. I don’t know what the good one is these days but do some googlin on iOS AR room measurement or something.

Also I think the IKEA app will let you measure the room and then put furniture in using AR as well.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Proteus Jones posted:

Is Paprika still the app of choice for Meal Planning/Recipe Organization/Ingredient Management?

My mom and my Fiancee both love it (they are not the same person)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

I've used it for years now and it's still very good.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Aggro posted:

My wife and I are renting an apartment in NYC, and we're not taking much with us. To plan furnishing, we have a detailed blueprint of the unit.

Is there an app where we can upload the blueprint and like, drag furniture into the rooms? Or one where I can use exact measurements and draw it myself? So far everything that I've found only allows for estimations, or only allows one room at a time, which isn't particularly helpful.
I haven’t used it in a while but RoomPlanner was good for this.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Paprika is definitely good. My wife and I use AnyList now for some reason I don't remember and it works really well too.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Aggro posted:

We used this https://floorplanner.com/ when planning out our new house.n It's web-based not an iOS app.

There's also this one https://www.magicplan.app/en/ which is an iOS app, but i haven't used it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Never mind I’m an idiot.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 21, 2019

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Is it already June 21st where you live? I’m bad with time zones so forgive me if it’s a dumb question.

Edit: guess you solved it yourself :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009

Aggro posted:

Again not an app, but my wife uses https://www.homestyler.com for this and it can create renders pretty easily to get a good feel for layout.