Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rudoku posted:

You keep misspelling Heatmor. Stop it.

Heatmor has a clear reason to exist though: Eating Durants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Y'all need to chill about Dexit. SwSh is probably going to be rad and we'll probably have a fun time with it. Capcom learned that expansions are a thing for monhun this year. If Capcom can release expansions, there is hope that GF can as well. Either way, all hail Wooloo, Lord of the Floofs.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Heatmor of all things got a goddamn signature move in SM and that poo poo still confuses me. :psyduck:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Filthy Haiku posted:

Sidestepping the whole dex thing, I kind of surprised that folks can look at the desolate overworld, lovely textures, pop-in and stripped down move animations and be like "yeah this looks great!" Seeing the barren field filled with wingull lifelessly floating around really dampened the excitement I had for the game.

It's okay to be displeased with the direction the game is going without being frothing about it.

I'm on this boat as well. The dex thing pushed me over, but I was looking at that treehouse segment with a big ol' "eh" before Masuda dropped the bomb. Wild Area looks a bit fun, but also not really that large, and with geometry that pales compared to Xenoblade 1. The return to gyms doesn't do anything for me, and the raid battle looked painfully slow. Then we get to look at the more technical aspects like the tall grass' lighting being unaffected by the weather and it just doesn't look worth it.

d3lness posted:

Y'all need to chill about Dexit. SwSh is probably going to be rad and we'll probably have a fun time with it. Capcom learned that expansions are a thing for monhun this year. If Capcom can release expansions, there is hope that GF can as well. Either way, all hail Wooloo, Lord of the Floofs.

More importantly, Nintendo has been doing all sorts of expansions since last console and handheld.
Splatoon 1 and 2 rolled out content for nearly two years, Mario Odyssey added a few extra modes some months in, Kirby Star Allies nearly doubled in content via updates, BotW got a season pass, Smash Bros., Xenoblade 2 kept getting QoL stuff and small extra content before putting out a whole big-rear end DLC/Expansion Campaign, and then there's the Fire Emblems.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Vandar posted:

Heatmor of all things got a goddamn signature move in SM and that poo poo still confuses me. :psyduck:

A signature move that goes off its (slightly) lower attack stat! It's kind of baffling.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

LightningSquid posted:

To be honest this feeling has only grown over the past few days, and I'm honestly considering not even getting the game at this rate because of the sour taste this all has left in my mouth. No ill will towards anyone who decides the game is worth it anyway though, of course.

Kinda in the same boat. Like, it's probably gonna be a good game, but... is it gonna be $480 (Canadian, lol) good? Cause I don't have a Switch yet, and that's a hefty price tag for a video game.
If it's good enough for me to spend as much time on it as I do the average Pokemon game, though, that works out to like $2.50 per hour, and when you look at it like that, that's fuckin peanuts. Still likely gonna wait a little bit this time, though, just to make sure I don't drop all that money on a lemon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

Kinda in the same boat. Like, it's probably gonna be a good game, but... is it gonna be $480 (Canadian, lol) good? Cause I don't have a Switch yet, and that's a hefty price tag for a video game.
If it's good enough for me to spend as much time on it as I do the average Pokemon game, though, that works out to like $2.50 per hour, and when you look at it like that, that's fuckin peanuts. Still likely gonna wait a little bit this time, though, just to make sure I don't drop all that money on a lemon.

I'm planning on grabbing the definitive version of Dragon Quest XI while I'm at it so even if Sword and Shield is a bust I'll have another RPG to fall back on. Best to plan these things with insurance.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3buccYaFlj8

Gamefreak right now

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Matsuda: "he primary reason we are cutting mons is for balance, we will also spend more resources on representing the pokemon included"

Armchair Game Directors: "LOOK AT THE TEXTURES AND ANIMATION"

I get that it sucks but they literally said the primary reason is balance and gameplay related so the textures and animations prove nothing.

They cited technical reasons too.

Also, what balance? Usually you can't import old mons till post game. It's also a single player game. (Don't kid me competitive pokemon is balanced in any way.)

And what "representing mons included?" By replacing the more creative mega evolution or z moves with "pokemon go big" that literally has zero individuality to it that could be applied to any and all pokemon?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So, I just "beat" Pokemon Let's Go Eevee for my girlfriend. By beat, I mean I got to Fuchsia City to pick up the meltan box for Pokemon Go.
She had a really fun time just capturing things, but progressing to the next area always involved battles which she didn't care for. Its been a few months since we picked it up for 30 bucks, so I offered to just blitz my way to the meltan box.
So we're at Vermilion City, I gotta make my way to Fuchsia. Something I liked is that after the third badge, the game does kinda open up like in the original. I went:
Diglett Cave > Dark Tunnel > Lavender > Game Corner Dungeon > Lavender Tower > What used to be the cyclist road > Get Meltan Box

Less than a dozen battles outside of bosses. No gyms. Felt pretty cool.

Anyway, this game needed six months or a year. There's something here, there really is, but it's not realized. The synergy between catching and battling feels forced; each one feeds into the other (you catch, you get the XP you need to battle. You battle, you get to new areas to catch) but they're different and separate enough that you can enjoy one and be bored by the other, or spend so much time on one that you forget how you were on the other (like running too low on pokeballs or healing items)
Both systems feel too shallow. The catching stuff just isn't as good as Go, and the battling stuff is stripped from a ton of stuff from the current games.

I feel like visiting Kanto 20 years after Gen 1 would have been better. Introduce a bunch of pokemon (Go users were starting to get Gen 4 stuff when this came out), have all the iconic characters have grown up like the people getting back into the IP and have new characters for the kids. And most importantly, just work on the gameplay loop more. The ideas are exciting, the execution is not. There's a segment where you control Eevee to get a key card a goon threw away from you, that was neat but extremely limited and short, when it could've been a fun gimmick.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
They've gone and done it. :smith: I guess SM/USUM's refusal to add a National Pokédex was their first step in this direction. I get that they needed to contain feature bloat somehow, but this is the clumsiest way of executing it. From 2006 until now, the standard was "you can eventually transfer almost anything to new generations" and they kept upholding it. It was the defining features of the series and Bank exists for that: importing old Pokémon and storing Pokémon for future use. They did not do anything to change our expectations for future games.

The series spent a lot of resources on future-proofing and is going to a much more powerful, spacious console, and seemingly out of nowhere, they're suddenly and tactlessly doing a cull. A series that has sold itself on having your old favorite characters in every installment is now throwing hundreds of them into limbo with no word on what happens to them in the future. I know that culling Pokémon species from core games will always be a controversial topic and would never go over well, but they fumbled it big time.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mizuti posted:

They've gone and done it. :smith: I guess SM/USUM's refusal to add a National Pokédex was their first step in this direction. I get that they needed to contain feature bloat somehow, but this is the clumsiest way of executing it. From 2006 until now, the standard was "you can eventually transfer almost anything to new generations" and they kept upholding it. It was the defining features of the series and Bank exists for that: importing old Pokémon and storing Pokémon for future use. They did not do anything to change our expectations for future games.

The series spent a lot of resources on future-proofing and is going to a much more powerful, spacious console, and seemingly out of nowhere, they're suddenly and tactlessly doing a cull. A series that has sold itself on having your old favorite characters in every installment is now throwing hundreds of them into limbo with no word on what happens to them in the future. I know that culling Pokémon species from core games will always be a controversial topic and would never go over well, but they fumbled it big time.

Holy poo poo did they ever. If he'd dropped this after explaining in DETAIL how Home is supposed to work or what could possibly be done in the future this wouldn't have gone over so badly. It really was worst possible way to explain this poo poo, the excuses just pissed people off more.

Genuinely curious if this is the standard for Japanese corporate culture and if it is how do they refrain from murdering each other.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I hope Home has activities and stuff I can do with my Pokémon. Gotta admit, the name alone sounds a lot better than stuffing them in a Bank vault.

Just want to know my digital friends are somewhere comfortable.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

I hope Home has activities and stuff I can do with my Pokémon. Gotta admit, the name alone sounds a lot better than stuffing them in a Bank vault.

Just want to know my digital friends are somewhere comfortable.

Same man. I said this before but I'm okay with benching some of them as long as I know they're secure and hell it would be lovely if I could practice battling with some I haven't used so much. I'm thinking maybe Home will be like this due to Masusda hinting at it but being coy about the features is the last thing he needs to do right now.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Mizuti posted:

From 2006 until now, the standard was "you can eventually transfer almost anything to new generations" and they kept upholding it. It was the defining features of the series and Bank exists for that: importing old Pokémon and storing Pokémon for future use.

Mizuti posted:

Bank exists for that: importing old Pokémon and storing Pokémon for future use.

Mizuti posted:

Bank exists

Mizuti posted:

storing Pokémon for future use.

This is why I think all the doomsaying about MUH POKEMONS ARE DAED and Thanos jokes are tiresome fearmongering. I have to imagine they're pretty dang confident they'll be asked to make more Pokemon games, but it's been pretty drat clear since like Gen 5 that the National Pokedex was groaning at the seams. (Go count how many NPCs are jammed into the game sideways in order to ensure you can always transform all the random-rear end legendaries from a decade ago with a one-off gimmick that nothing else in the game uses.) Cutting the number of Pokemon in Sword and Shield while letting players store all their Pokemon in Bank Home cuts down their workload while also making the games more interesting, because they can shuffle around the Pokemon you can use in each game.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Pokemon I think could disappear with the fewest complaints: Mantyke, Delibird, Spinda, the Starly line, Stantler, Volbeat, Illumise, Castform, Heatmor, Unown, Spoink and Grumpig, Solosis line, Elgyem line, and at least a half dozen Legendaries like the Lake trio and most of Gen 5's legends other than its cover Legends

I agree with some of these, but Staraptor is the best regional bird next to Talonflame. Banded Reckless double edge destroys even Pokémon that resist it

Also, again, intimidate.

Which makes me remember, is THIS the generation we get a SpAtk intimidate ability??

I think it's more likely at this point that Gamefreak will just abandon abilities altogether

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
B/w are some of my fav games so I guess I'm the target audience for removing a bunch of them in the new game, probably won't even bother with home cause there's no way I remember to re-up the subscription

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I agree with some of these, but Staraptor is the best regional bird next to Talonflame. Banded Reckless double edge destroys even Pokémon that resist it

Also, again, intimidate.

Which makes me remember, is THIS the generation we get a SpAtk intimidate ability??

I think it's more likely at this point that Gamefreak will just abandon abilities altogether

Nah, one of the features we know for sure they haven't cut is abilities because we've seen Yamper's ability, which is retrieving a used-up Pokeball. There was a lot of worry though when LGPE came out with no held items or abilities but thankfully they've put them back in.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Nah, one of the features we know for sure they haven't cut is abilities because we've seen Yamper's ability, which is retrieving a used-up Pokeball.

sis all the new mons have had their abilities listed on the official website since day 1

:ms:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Well that too. Either way we know for sure abilities are definitely absolutely 100% included unless they make a last minute change for some stupid reason.

If we're nominating Pokemon to be transferred to the professor to be ground up into candy, I suggest Tangela and Tangrowth. The only way I will accept them in SwSh over my G3 shiny green Spinda is if we have an option to shear them.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
a sheared Tangela is Mimikyu under the cloth

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

Johnny Joestar posted:

it doesn't actually matter what is or isn't the case because either way it means we get the fun of watching a bunch of utterly joyless people go out of their way to endlessly pick apart every single aspect of everything we see until release later this year in regards to anything related to the game, and they're going to make sure we know what they think about it no matter what our stance on it all is

buckle up

And said joyless people will end up buying Sword and Shield and still complain about every little thing while having several hours on the game and having obtained every Pokemon in the Galar Dex but will hate Gamefreak forever and ever because Chatot isn't in the game or something.

And Chatot probably isn't their favorite Pokemon.

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 15, 2019

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

less laughter posted:

a sheared Tangela is Mimikyu under the cloth

Relatedly I still think you should be able to pop a Voltorb open like a Pokeball

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

mandatory lesbian posted:

B/w are some of my fav games so I guess I'm the target audience for removing a bunch of them in the new game, probably won't even bother with home cause there's no way I remember to re-up the subscription

There's a world of difference between what BW did (which was great and I'm sad they never tried it again and just kept on shoving Gen 1 down on everyone's throats) to what SwSh are going to do. After you beat BW, you had this laboratory to import all your old buddies; you just had your entirely new experience and now that it's over, you can have the old and the new together.

With SwSh, after you pay for Pokemon Home, you'll be able to import 40% of your old buddies. The Galar dex will be full of mons from previous gens, especially the holy G1. We won't be getting an entirely new experience like BW and after we are done with that, we can't mix the old with the new even by paying.

Seems like a pretty lovely deal.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
...did we ever get word that Home is gonna be a paid service?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how does the dog retrieve a ball after a failed catch if the ball explodes

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Kikas posted:

...did we ever get word that Home is gonna be a paid service?

No. We have no idea if it's paid or if it's gonna be free*

*As in it's covered by NSO.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
you pay for it by feeding it non-Galarian mons whom it then consumes

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

oddium posted:

Its just that good a dog.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

He just buys a new one when you aren't looking

Also that ability Blows

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

Also that ability Blows

Her HA should be Electric Surge to compensate

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Then we get to look at the more technical aspects like the tall grass' lighting being unaffected by the weather and it just doesn't look worth it.

that's honestly almost worse than the limited Pokemon. How do you gently caress something like that up? I'm really starting to get the feeling that these games are being super rushed to make the deadline.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

There's a world of difference between what BW did (which was great and I'm sad they never tried it again and just kept on shoving Gen 1 down on everyone's throats) to what SwSh are going to do. After you beat BW, you had this laboratory to import all your old buddies; you just had your entirely new experience and now that it's over, you can have the old and the new together.

With SwSh, after you pay for Pokemon Home, you'll be able to import 40% of your old buddies. The Galar dex will be full of mons from previous gens, especially the holy G1. We won't be getting an entirely new experience like BW and after we are done with that, we can't mix the old with the new even by paying.

Seems like a pretty lovely deal.

well yeah, i'd rather they'd gone full b/w and entirely deleted all non-galar pokemon forever, but this is a fair compromise

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probably a long shot but does anyone have an extra marshadow and zeraora? Just want to fill out my missing living dex spots.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Crosscontaminant posted:

(Go count how many NPCs are jammed into the game sideways in order to ensure you can always transform all the random-rear end legendaries from a decade ago with a one-off gimmick that nothing else in the game uses.)

This seems extremely easy to fix by having just one NPC or store that has all of the items :shrug:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Farecoal posted:

This seems extremely easy to fix by having just one NPC or store that has all of the items :shrug:

It's not really just items as some require move tutors to learn certain attacks or other random poo poo like Deoxys's meteorites. Then you have non-legendaries that also require items and other stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How is trading going to work?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

What if all Legendaries and Rotom are in the game anyway?

That said, I do think something has to be done with all the transformation and legendary item stuff. Though I feel like having 1 building at the final town of the game be, like, a special museum of sorts would be a more elegant solution. Walk in and see murals of all legendaries, some of them make their signature item appear, others make the pokemon "remember" their signature move, a few make it transform, and there's also a fridge there.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 15, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Spanish Manlove posted:

How is trading going to work?

Not included in the game, it was too difficult to balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Zuzie posted:

It's not really just items as some require move tutors to learn certain attacks or other random poo poo like Deoxys's meteorites. Then you have non-legendaries that also require items and other stuff.

Again, one guy, maybe two, in a single building should be fine