Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N_vVUQsY1g

I hope if you don't like let's players, give this one a shot. It's just a great background watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPyq0jFgVjI

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
https://youtu.be/XEQOHniDblk

Hells yes

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Its been tough to find a game that really scratches that itch. Bloodborne dominated for several days but Souls games aren’t games I can play for extended periods if I hit a spot where I just die over and over. Now I just kind of bounce around and a game only holds my attention for a half hour or so.. I think Witcher 3 was the game game I played where it could be the only one installed and it wouldn’t be an issue.

Hoping the end of the year will bless me with something to poopsock.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

egyptian rat race posted:

Sorry if this has already been posted, but it worked as of this afternoon and I wanted to pay it forward. Basically if you start with an Xbox Live subscription that has time left on it, you can get the Microsoft Ultimate PC/Xbox game pass for $1. It will convert your remaining time into the Ultimate months for free. Up to 36 of them, in fact.

CNET:Get Xbox Game Pass for free for up to 3 years

I didn't want to drop $$ on 24 months more of Live cards, but I got about 11mo free since I just renewed :getin:

This is a really great deal. I did dump $$ on 24 months, each time opting into auto renew and was able to push my expiration to 2/2/2022 for $120+1. I have promptly cancelled as well.

I used the memorial day 3 months for 1 dollar game pass and now this and have been thoroughly impressed. Access to a ton of singleplayer or "meh" games that I would have never bought has been excellent.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Played Cadence of Hyrule yesterday for a few hours and that game is fun. Music is awesome too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3RdLlZtwMQ

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So the new Xbox app made me pay another dollar to get access to Xbox Game Pass even though I had already subscribed through the website...now I get this:

:wtc:

So is it going to expire on the 10th or the 20th? Am I going to auto-renew or not?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm gonna play the poo poo out of outer wilds tomorrow

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fallom posted:

So the new Xbox app made me pay another dollar to get access to Xbox Game Pass even though I had already subscribed through the website...now I get this:

:wtc:

So is it going to expire on the 10th or the 20th? Am I going to auto-renew or not?

The $1 subscription runs for a month, then any time you add is converted to ultimate. Your long term ultimate should start after the paid month. It's probably being reflected as a different subscription. Check your subscriptions tab. Kinda like of you buy separate 3 month subscriptions to stack, it will show each as a different subscription, but the dates should line up so one starts when the other ends.

I'd probably still shoot off an email to xbox and make sure it went through right.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It only shows the one subscription so I’ll probably end up contacting support

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N_vVUQsY1g

I hope if you don't like let's players, give this one a shot. It's just a great background watch.

game grumps is the only lets play i watch at all, and only every now and again. i like the ones where they play Ice Hockey on NES a bunch.

danny is def a talented singer too, his cover albums aren't half bad. i just can't watch too much of that stuff in one sitting

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

game grumps is the only lets play i watch at all, and only every now and again. i like the ones where they play Ice Hockey on NES a bunch.

danny is def a talented singer too, his cover albums aren't half bad. i just can't watch too much of that stuff in one sitting

I mostly listened to it in batches around the house. It's a delightful look into the work that goes into these kinds of jobs.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I picked up Hollow Knight on the Switch during this sale. I don’t know anything about it, other than the reviews have been excellent. I’ve only got maybe an hour into it, but does it get better? It just feels like a basic 2D side scroller. I’ll keep going, but I’ve got a feeling it’s just adored by that indie loving crowd.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

pkells posted:

I picked up Hollow Knight on the Switch during this sale. I don’t know anything about it, other than the reviews have been excellent. I’ve only got maybe an hour into it, but does it get better? It just feels like a basic 2D side scroller. I’ll keep going, but I’ve got a feeling it’s just adored by that indie loving crowd.

It's pretty monochrome but I liked it because it's been the only game i've played in years besides Samurai Shodown that i need to stop and take a break when I get destroyed over and over before I lose my mind. And you always respawn so far away, ffs. Fun stuff.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Stash Tabs are on sale now in Path of Exile all this weekend.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Finally got some premium tabs. Get the currency tab if nothing else.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

pkells posted:

I liked it because the game doesn’t tell you anything. Not where to go, not how to get there. Everything is achieved by exploring.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Vasudus posted:

I've been eyeballing PoE for quite a while now, planning on giving it a spin on the 4-day weekend next week, and don't mind shelling out some cash for quality-of-life stuff in the game. What exactly is worth grabbing, put in terms for someone that's never played the game?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've been eyeballing PoE for quite a while now, planning on giving it a spin on the 4-day weekend next week, and don't mind shelling out some cash for quality-of-life stuff in the game. What exactly is worth grabbing, put in terms for someone that's never played the game?

At first, nothing, though a sale package of stash tabs are nice because they can be used to sell items directly to other players. You can do this without premium stash tabs of course but it's a bit more of a pain in the rear end, as non premium tabs are not scraped for item data by the market website that GGG runs.

I would personally advise you go to the path of exile forums, and look up their starter builds for popular classes here https://www.poebuilds.cc/, arc witch is perennially powerful and a good league starter for people who don't know the ins and outs of how the game works.

There's also a web tool called filterblade which can be used to generate an item filter to process the absolute mountains of gear and items that drop in this game, 90% of the dropped stuff is trash which is not super relevant, and a good item filter can help you sort it without going insane.

Hit me or Vas up in discord and we can help you with how to do stuff.

Personally I'm going to roll a necromancer build that shits out skeletons and spectres and kills poo poo 2 screens away without me doing anything, because I loved necromancer in D2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVrA3b5xbg

An older example of the build I will be running this league, works mostly the same even now.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 15, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh my holy lol:

Game looks nifty, definitely scratches that annual Diablo itch I get. I looked around the Poebuilds site and came across a super lazy Necromancer with a minimum of button pressing, and basically all minion damage, which I might check out next week. I'll give that arc witch a try for now.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Dude McAwesome posted:

I liked it because the game doesn’t tell you anything. Not where to go, not how to get there. Everything is achieved by exploring.

Other than Hollow Knight and the Souls series, are there other games like that? Part of the reason I hold Dark Souls in such high regard is because of how you have to actively figure out everything. You don’t get a quest log or a map with GPS or anything but there are still so many quest lines. And most of the time you don’t even know you’re on a quest line.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

salt and sanctuary is really cool and is basically 2d souls. for reals. its on everything

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Also grab the program Path of Building. It's made by a guy that got hired by GGG but it's essentially an offline simulator for builds. You can import/export, plan your own, create full sets of gear, etc. and see the (now accurate) math involved in things.

I'm going to look into recording poo poo and just make a quick video of things to better explain the details of the game. But basically if you're looking for Diablo 2.5 that's since evolved into the best ARPG on the market, Path of Exile is it.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

salt and sanctuary is really cool and is basically 2d souls. for reals. its on everything

2d souls? Say no more.

Downloading it now. Thanks for the recommendation!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah it has the death/hollow gameplay, weapons and armorsets, classes, big bosses. its a no-shame 2d souls game

its worth buying and its on switch btw

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Pre-oredered DOOM:Eternal deluxe edition. Can't wait to RIP AND TEAR

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Also grab the program Path of Building. It's made by a guy that got hired by GGG but it's essentially an offline simulator for builds. You can import/export, plan your own, create full sets of gear, etc. and see the (now accurate) math involved in things.

I'm going to look into recording poo poo and just make a quick video of things to better explain the details of the game. But basically if you're looking for Diablo 2.5 that's since evolved into the best ARPG on the market, Path of Exile is it.

Yeah, I plugged the build that juche linked into Path of Building, and then applied that NeverSink item filter. I feel like I'm completely over-engineering this game, like it's something I can break and that'll never work again.
I guess I should just play around, die a couple of times, and keep following the leveling guide roughly...right?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Basically yeah. The game is easy enough to figure out, and very hard to master. You'll go through different phases testing out all the mechanics and build styles before figuring out the quirks of them and which ones you like. For example, I hate melee builds. They're very good, and this patch they got a considerable rework that involved going deep into the guts of the animation system to make it more responsive. But I just don't like melee, I prefer spell and bow builds.

Post your character name in the Games thread to get on the invite list to the goon guild (either the main one or the backup) and /join global 5555. That's where everyone hangs out, we hardly use guild chat since there's so many people and they're spread out over a small handful of guilds.

You can also message me and I'll probably have stuff to give you to make leveling easier.

That feeling when you have to move your challenge totems after this league because you have too many.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 15, 2019

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I keep trying to get into PoE but I always end up just playing Diablo again. And now that I got it on the switch (it was on sale), I can play Diablo while pooping.

I'll wander into PoE twitch streams and it just looks like people walking around using one ability over and over again and everything around them dying and it just looks weird to me. I don't need a big effort post, but what's the big difference between Diablo and PoE?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean that's the core of action RPGs. You run around killing dudes for loot.

PoE gives you a lot of freedom that Diablo doesn't have at a fundamental design level. There's 7 base classes and 19 advanced classes (3 each except Scion which gets 1) and while some of them play similarly, they're relatively distinct even among the archtypes of melee/caster/ranged. Skills are determined by items you equip, so you can (and people have quite succesfully) made things like a 2 handed sword using Witch/Elementalist.

And then there's the leagues. Every 3 months a new league starts with an entirely new gimmick along with a fresh server reset (your existing stuff gets banished to Standard League which is permanent). This league is "Legion" which started 3 June. The core of it is that in every zone there's a monolith, that when you click on reveals a hidden battle between two sides with everyone frozen in time. You get a limited amount of time to damage them, which will free them from the monolith when the timer expires and they enter the real world. Some of them are just random low level mooks, some are elites, some are generals. Some of them have specific icons over their head showing what cool flavors of special loot they drop. So you click it, clear as much as you can, and then fight them for real to get their precious loots.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Maybe I'll try again using the advice you guys said earlier in the thread. I do like the sounds of playing a super necromancer cause I loved playing them in D3

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh my holy lol:

Game looks nifty, definitely scratches that annual Diablo itch I get. I looked around the Poebuilds site and came across a super lazy Necromancer with a minimum of button pressing, and basically all minion damage, which I might check out next week. I'll give that arc witch a try for now.

This game is amazing and I must have gone through 20 hours of PowerPoint instruction as rigorous as a community college course.

But never lose sight, if you are optimal or sub optimal, you click on monsters to make them explode.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I keep trying to get into PoE but I always end up just playing Diablo again. And now that I got it on the switch (it was on sale), I can play Diablo while pooping.

I'll wander into PoE twitch streams and it just looks like people walking around using one ability over and over again and everything around them dying and it just looks weird to me. I don't need a big effort post, but what's the big difference between Diablo and PoE?

Having played D3 recently and playing PoE about ~4 years back, the big reason why you see them use one ability over and over again is that there's a lot of builds where they just use all their customization options to make that one ability really, really strong. It wouldn't be unusual to have 2-3 auras (skills that you plug into your ability bar but are just passive on/off buttons) to buff that one skill, then maybe one movement skill (If the buffed skill isn't already movement), and maybe a Vaal (?) ability that can only be used once after charging it up by killing enemies. That, and leveling has been heavily optimized by long-time players to get an easy to aquire skill/item combinations that get you out of the early leveling zones. This results in lots of (optimal) play being spamming one button over and over again, whereas in D3 there's more builds that have you juggle at least a few abilities on varying cooldowns.

This is oversimplifying both games though, I remember my first (lovely) witch had something from the passive tree that gave me a damage multiplier based off of how many spell elements I was actively using, and D3 has things like lazymancer.

Vasudus can confirm/deny how accurate this was/still is, I was bad enough at the game that determining if endgame drops were any good gave me a huge :psyduck:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm drastically oversimplifying things but you generally have access to one six link in your chest, and then possibly a second one if you have a two handed weapon. So that's one active skill with five supports, which makes that ability very very powerful. I'll try and sum down my current character, a Glacial Hammer Berserker:

I use Glacial Hammer, a skill that converts 60% of my physical damage to cold, benefits greatly from sources of added damage, and gives additional damage to things that are chilled (hit by cold damage in the last 4 seconds)

Supporting that skill are two Winter Burial jewels, which convert 25% of my physical damage to cold and gives me splash damage to my Glacial Hammer hits. So with the two of them, I do 100% cold damage but my damage source comes from physical. Which means I can boost my damage with both sources of physical and cold.

I use two Frostbreath maces, which are incredibly cheap weapons that have a neat quirk: they deal double damage if the target is chilled. So after enemies take any source of cold damage in the last four seconds, they now take double my damage output.

Finally the gem supports:

Glacial Hammer, of course, which is my active skill.
Elemental Damage with Attacks Support, which just gives me straight up more elemental damage
Multistrike Support, which makes me hit three times in quick succession, with the first being weaker, the second being stronger, and the third being very hard.
Ancestral Call Support, which makes every strike target additional enemies
Added Cold Damage Support, which gives me a bunch of flat cold damage
Cold Penetration Support, which causes my cold damage to penetrate enemies cold resistance

The end result is hitting a full third of the screen at once with frantic, hard hitting cold damage that causes enemies to freeze and shatter when killed.

When I'm fighting a strong boss, I swap out the Ancestral Call for Rage Support, which gives me a bunch of physical damage which is then converted to cold via my build.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I started playing GR: Wildlands again, purely because I just watched this netflix movie "Triple Frontier" about some extremely tier one operators going rogue and trying to rob some cartel kingpin on the dl. It wasn't that good, but it's rad because it's like an exact depiction of how bad missions go for me in that game pretty much constantly :downsgun:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

for 3 bucks nba2k19 is pretty dang good on switch

no real performance issues. Shaq and Kenny voices are in it, controls seem decent, idk i guess its a thing where the hardcore fans are mad about stuff.

either way its 3 bucks on all platforms until they update next

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

for 3 bucks nba2k19 is pretty dang good on switch

no real performance issues. Shaq and Kenny voices are in it, controls seem decent, idk i guess its a thing where the hardcore fans are mad about stuff.

either way its 3 bucks on all platforms until they update next

I bought it with no intention of playing it very much just because it’s $3

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m going back and playing the original Doom/Doom2 episodes through ZDoom after finding out DOOM: Eternal is coming. If you have the Steam version of any of the old Doom games/their expansions, ZDoom picks finds them and lets you choose which one you want to play, complete with mouse-look, crosshairs, and a bunch of little QoL improvements that make them pretty enjoyable even today. Still looking for someone to add the super shotgun in the first 4 episodes, but you can’t have everything...:(

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

colachute posted:

I bought it with no intention of playing it very much just because it’s $3

same, i used my gold coins or w/e the switch calls them to get it for "free"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Just finished Outer Wilds in a marathon session today, because I simply couldn't put it down.

What an absolutely beautiful and wonderfully-done game. Mechanics-wise, story-wise, imagery- and setting-wise. Just an absolute loving delight to play.
Nothing gets dull, and even as you're starting to feel proximity to the finish line, the game still throws new concepts or puzzles at you, instead of introducing something at the beginning of the game and just have it recur over and over. So many "OH SNAP, THAT ADDS UP", or "OH THAT IS JUST SO drat COOL" moments, I can't put it into words.

And the implementation of quantum mechanics and other astrophysical concepts to tie the whole bundle together, so loving well done.

The ending brought tears to my eyes. I love being able to "play the ending", but then they somehow manage to throw a reveal in there, and suddenly something that's been accompanying you the whole game makes sense.

Just a super loving fun game that is incredibly well-done. For 20 bucks, no less.