Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've yet to buy a switch so I have no idea if they can locally communicate and now I'm kinda curious about it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Farecoal posted:

Again, one guy, maybe two, in a single building should be fine

It would be the easiest thing, but Game Freak is also weirdly adherent to "lore" and need to provide some context as to how and why this NPC has these things associated with Pokémon that most people in-universe have never seen or heard of.

Granted, they do something very close to it by having an antique shop selling you orbs associated with Gen 3 and Gen 4's legendaries.

EDIT: Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee handled it by having some bizarre match making code system where you entered 3 of 10 Pokémon and (hopefully) get matched with someone who entered the same code (like Eevee, Diglett and Pikachu).

But it seems like Sword and Shield has the PSS-like system from the Gen 6 games.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 15, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

it appears they've also gone full r/the_donald and started banning anyone with a dissenting opinion that's not 'THIS GAME WILL BE MISERABLE SO THIS IS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE BETRAYED'

Holy crap. Can you corroborate this with a source?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've yet to buy a switch so I have no idea if they can locally communicate and now I'm kinda curious about it all.

Yeah, they can locally communicate, so it won't be an issue.

Heck, it can do wacky-rear end things like

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also I don't understand why everyone is picking moves like Double Kick to expose Masuda's "lie" about the animations. Why the hell would they put effort into making Double Kick of all attacks look impressive? It's barely a step above friggin tackle.

Pokemon actually making contact outside of a standardized set of attacks like that virtually transform the Pokemon like Brave Bird wasn't going to happen either; they're not gonna adjust a huge variation of attacks to make sure hundreds of Pokemon hit each other properly without clipping and whatnot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

Man, Archery Owl would have been so good as a PokEngland starter.

https://twitter.com/daijakobu/status/1139737472894689282

#ポケモン5分モデリング is the best Hashtag

Well, if the rumor about all 151 Kanto pokemon being included for compatibility with Let's Go, at least we'll get Dynamax Seaking out of the deal

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

we already know Seaking is in, on account they fished up Goldeen in the demo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

Pokemon actually making contact outside of a standardized set of attacks like that virtually transform the Pokemon like Brave Bird wasn't going to happen either; they're not gonna adjust a huge variation of attacks to make sure hundreds of Pokemon hit each other properly without clipping and whatnot.

They should, though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Also I don't understand why everyone is picking moves like Double Kick to expose Masuda's "lie" about the animations. Why the hell would they put effort into making Double Kick of all attacks look impressive? It's barely a step above friggin tackle.

It's the cleanest and worst looking one from the treehouse segment, so it echoes the sentiment people have even if it doesn't reflect what's going on.

That is true, and it sucks, with so many characters and moves, these 'generic' animations that avoid contact are a smart way to deal with it. The new animation talk is definitely 90% the camping stuff that replaces monamie and refresh, and a handful of new moves (starter and legendary signature moves).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not comfortable saying they should do something that would create an unmanageable amount of work and what borders on unreasonable. I hate to keep citing the distinguished competition, but I've seen a lot of people who say stuff like "Digimon Cyber Sleuth does what Pokemon Nintendon't" in this arena, and that game is full of minor attacks that are only animated with simple claw swipes or roaring animations, while the super special attack animations for signature moves don't make contact with the enemy at all, and both culminate in a quick cut to the opponent shrugging it off, getting knocked down and then getting up, or being killed by it.

And that has only a fraction of the animations Pokemon does.

Literally no one else does what people want out of Pokemon's battle animations, so why do they think Game Freak can do it? "Pokemon is the most profitable brand in the world" is becoming the justification for a lot of extremely unrealistic expectations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

This is like the people who argue that the new game should be an mmo's with all regions, with no thought to the kind of labour that would include.

There are better ways to have handled the news, but citing every minor perceived flaw (even though Wingull flies like real-rear end seagulls) is honestly more annoying. The director of some of our favourite game series specified they made a choice, in order to give us a game more in line with their vision, maybe see what that vision is before demanding that your ever y wish be fulfilled.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It'd be less work if they used these 5-minute models.

https://twitter.com/birdymog/status/1139882389901996037

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the unreasonable extremely unrealistic wish of 'i'd like having all the pokemon in my pokemon games'

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

I'm not comfortable saying they should do something that would create an unmanageable amount of work and what borders on unreasonable. I hate to keep citing the distinguished competition, but I've seen a lot of people who say stuff like "Digimon Cyber Sleuth does what Pokemon Nintendon't" in this arena, and that game is full of minor attacks that are only animated with simple claw swipes or roaring animations, while the super special attack animations for signature moves don't make contact with the enemy at all, and both culminate in a quick cut to the opponent shrugging it off, getting knocked down and then getting up, or being killed by it.

And that has only a fraction of the animations Pokemon does.

Literally no one else does what people want out of Pokemon's battle animations, so why do they think Game Freak can do it? "Pokemon is the most profitable brand in the world" is becoming the justification for a lot of extremely unrealistic expectations.

they could very easily do it if instead of nintendo forcing them to have this game out on a strict timeline to meet "the holiday deadline" they were allowed to work on it for as long as they needed to perfect it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Moriatti posted:

This is like the people who argue that the new game should be an mmo's with all regions, with no thought to the kind of labour that would include.

There are better ways to have handled the news, but citing every minor perceived flaw (even though Wingull flies like real-rear end seagulls) is honestly more annoying. The director of some of our favourite game series specified they made a choice, in order to give us a game more in line with their vision, maybe see what that vision is before demanding that your ever y wish be fulfilled.

Real-rear end seagulls do not t-pose three feet off the ground and hover in place.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

the unreasonable extremely unrealistic wish of 'i'd like having over 1000 individually modeled creatures with specific stats that can interact with 3-5 subsystems and appear to have a balance pass being given over to them'

Yeah, seems right.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, seems right.

over 800 of them are just the balance pass though

like, they specifically future proofed the 3ds models to save themselves the labor for this exact scenario

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Zore posted:

Real-rear end seagulls do not t-pose three feet off the ground and hover in place.

They will if it's windy enough, same with pelicans.

I take it you haven't spent a lot of time staring at birds at the beach?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zore posted:

Now now.

All of Wingull's animations look like t-posing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

they could very easily do it if instead of nintendo forcing them to have this game out on a strict timeline to meet "the holiday deadline" they were allowed to work on it for as long as they needed to perfect it

There we go again. "Very easily do it". Do you have any idea of what this would entail? First you have, like, a thousand Pokemon, of different shapes, sizes, and different geometries with all of them averaging approximately 50 movies they can learn. And then you have to animate them all interacting with each other, individually, and make sure there's no clipping or other weirdness associated with it. And on top of that, people expect specific variations on moves related to species, like for Blastoise.

That is a HUGE amount of work, to the point "having more time" becomes just one of the many things that'd need to happen for this to be a realistic expectation. And in the end, you'd be wasting all this effort, for what? Every attack gets animated perfectly, even low-power placeholders like Double Kick? Again, no one does this with a comparable amount of playable characters. Expecting it is patently absurd.

In development, even when you have virtually all the time you need, you have to prioritize what is and isn't worth investing time into. And this is one of those things.

Brother Entropy posted:

over 800 of them are just the balance pass though

like, they specifically future proofed the 3ds models to save themselves the labor for this exact scenario

even when the models already exist, there's still a poo poo load of work to do as far as adjusting for them, individually, the new lighting, environments, and whatever new systems, animations, and other elements that exist in the game.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 15, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't know why people aren't more pissed off at Home having a sub model instead of the whole Galar Dex thing, which I'm starting to develop a reflexive eye roll reaction to. Not getting to use your lvl100 Probopass in Battle Stadium or whatever, who cares. Actually paying to keep your living dex because you can't transfer it over? That's a lot shittier IMHO.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

even when the models already exist, there's still a poo poo load of work to do as far as adjusting for them, individually, the new lighting, environments, and whatever new systems, animations, and other elements that exist in the game.

they can afford to do that load of work, especially when they're going to be getting twenty more bucks out of everyone than they did in the 3ds days

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dias posted:

I don't know why people aren't more pissed off at Home having a sub model instead of the whole Galar Dex thing, which I'm starting to develop a reflexive eye roll reaction to. Not getting to use your lvl100 Probopass in Battle Stadium or whatever, who cares. Actually paying to keep your living dex because you can't transfer it over? That's a lot shittier IMHO.

The two are intertwined, since being unable to put Sawsbuck on swsh raises the question, is Sawsbuck now their digital hostage?

If all the mons were available then it's just Bank Again, which is kinda lame but that's video games for you.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Home is confirmed to have gameplay elements; even if they don't have some kind of battle component, they're not going to sit there and rot.

Not to mention, all the talk about holding your Pokemon hostage or calling it a prison is emotionally manipulative as gently caress and just another way of showing how one side is trying to control the conversation.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Crosscontaminant posted:

This is why I think all the doomsaying about MUH POKEMONS ARE DAED and Thanos jokes are tiresome fearmongering. I have to imagine they're pretty dang confident they'll be asked to make more Pokemon games, but it's been pretty drat clear since like Gen 5 that the National Pokedex was groaning at the seams. (Go count how many NPCs are jammed into the game sideways in order to ensure you can always transform all the random-rear end legendaries from a decade ago with a one-off gimmick that nothing else in the game uses.)

A competent developer would make this work. Heck, in the later games they started grouping similar items such as they orbs and putting them for sale at an antique shop, which to me is a fun bit of world building. I really don't think that characters which have been special for ten years and have a dedicated place in the competitive world (ie Landorus-T, who requires a special item) should be considered bloat when these programmers have literally left the same dummy items in the code since 2006.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That's what happens when a large part of Pokemon's appeal is forming emotional bonds with these pieces of data, we treat untoward things towards these pieces of data like attacks on real living things.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Golden Gael posted:

A competent developer would make this work. Heck, in the later games they started grouping similar items such as they orbs and putting them for sale at an antique shop, which to me is a fun bit of world building. I really don't think that characters which have been special for ten years and have a dedicated place in the competitive world (ie Landorus-T, who requires a special item) should be considered bloat when these programmers have literally left the same dummy items in the code since 2006.

They're left in the code because they're basically simple executable files and a gif that take up very little space. Filling each region with a flower shop to transform Shaymin, a site for some Deoxys meteors, or whatever is far more involved.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That's what happens when a large part of Pokemon's appeal is forming emotional bonds with these pieces of data, we treat untoward things towards these pieces of data like attacks on real living things.

That's all well and good, but when the Pokemon reddit is allegedly banning people and everyone with a dissenting opinion is being called an apologist, you lose the benefit of a doubt on all that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

There we go again. "Very easily do it". Do you have any idea of what this would entail? First you have, like, a thousand Pokemon, of different shapes, sizes, and different geometries with all of them averaging approximately 50 movies they can learn. And then you have to animate them all interacting with each other, individually, and make sure there's no clipping or other weirdness associated with it. And on top of that, people expect specific variations on moves related to species, like for Blastoise.

That is a HUGE amount of work, to the point "having more time" becomes just one of the many things that'd need to happen for this to be a realistic expectation. And in the end, you'd be wasting all this effort, for what? Every attack gets animated perfectly, even low-power placeholders like Double Kick? Again, no one does this with a comparable amount of playable characters. Expecting it is patently absurd.

In development, even when you have virtually all the time you need, you have to prioritize what is and isn't worth investing time into. And this is one of those things.

hmm, nah they could have done it

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

One of the fun things about XY before they were data mined was seeing how the non-Kalos Pokemon would be improved once Bank opened. We didn't know that Whimsicott was going to be Grass/Fairy until they actually started coming over, and while there was a few missed opportunities (the Sinnoh fairies), we did get a few surprises.

SM similarly shook things up by removing Gengar's Levitate and making Mantine halfway decent in stats. Seeing how old Pokemon can be improved is part of the allure, so by saying 'sorry, there are several that will straight up not appear let alone see any meaningful change' limits how much notoriety that Pokemon can conceivably have going forward. Pachirisu, an otherwise unspectacular Pokemon, was only able to achieve the heights of fame by being allowed to exist and grow in the newer battle environment. Now chances are we'll never see the day of the Stantler or whatever.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nodosaur posted:

That's all well and good, but when the Pokemon reddit is allegedly banning people and everyone with a dissenting opinion is being called an apologist, you lose the benefit of a doubt on all that.

I don't know how me talking about concerns w/r/t my Sawsbuck, who the games want me to treat as a friend, here, is related to Reddit radicalizing.

Does sound funny though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

It never needed to reach "every move has unique animations" level, but like...it's absurd just how bad the animations are, dude. I'm just as mad at the fandom's constant whining and incredible inability to understand what game development or even basic programming is, but let's make a simple comparison here, shall we?

We'll compare XY and onwards with Stadium and its followers.

Stadium had animations. It didn't have unique animations for every move because that's stupid, but it had animations for specific but generic enough things (punching/kicking/shooting as different things for different moves, not to mention lose animations). This worked exceedingly well, beyond some clunkers, Stadium looked far better than its terrible models should've allowed, and the same methodology was kept for Stadium 2, Colosseum, XD and Battle Revolution. The models needed updates, sure, but there was a clear effort in making the battles look lively. Even that had cuts - PBR originally was meant to have environmental damage that was ultimately cut - but it still made for a very entertaining fight sim even if that was the only thing it could ever be.

There's no reason whatsoever not to expect that out of Sword and Shield. They're on a far stronger console, and being developed by the main team instead of a spinoff team. The fact that they're keeping several Pokemon out should be used so more time is dedicated to the ones that are in, to give them proper, if generic, animations on that level at the very least.

Instead we have Scorbunny slightly hopping in place for Double Kick. Scorbunny is one of the first three Pokemon you see, so it already paints a very bad picture for the rest of the game.

People need to temper their expectations and understand reality but that doesn't mean they need to accept mediocrity.

Dias posted:

Meanwhile this is really stupid and an example of the fandom's fearmongering. People aren't more mad at this because we don't know this, it has never been said. We know little to nothing about how Home works, please don't try to rile up a stupid and impulsive fanbase with things that, as far as we know, aren't true.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No one's saying this isn't disappointing. But I don't think it's wrong to have perspective for what all this entails for Game Freak is wrong, either. And that still doesn't justify the amount of overly aggressive vitriol, bad takes, skewed perceptions of development, haranguing of opposite opinions, allegedly banning people, or the aforementioned manipulative tactics being employed by one side of the argument, either.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It never needed to reach "every move has unique animations" level, but like...it's absurd just how bad the animations are, dude. I'm just as mad at the fandom's constant whining and incredible inability to understand what game development or even basic programming is, but let's make a simple comparison here, shall we?

We'll compare XY and onwards with Stadium and its followers.

Stadium had animations. It didn't have unique animations for every move because that's stupid, but it had animations for specific but generic enough things (punching/kicking/shooting as different things for different moves, not to mention lose animations). This worked exceedingly well, beyond some clunkers, Stadium looked far better than its terrible models should've allowed, and the same methodology was kept for Stadium 2, Colosseum, XD and Battle Revolution. The models needed updates, sure, but there was a clear effort in making the battles look lively. Even that had cuts - PBR originally was meant to have environmental damage that was ultimately cut - but it still made for a very entertaining fight sim even if that was the only thing it could ever be.

There's no reason whatsoever not to expect that out of Sword and Shield. They're on a far stronger console, and being developed by the main team instead of a spinoff team. The fact that they're keeping several Pokemon out should be used so more time is dedicated to the ones that are in, to give them proper, if generic, animations on that level at the very least.

Instead we have Scorbunny slightly hopping in place for Double Kick. Scorbunny is one of the first three Pokemon you see, so it already paints a very bad picture for the rest of the game.

People need to temper their expectations and understand reality but that doesn't mean they need to accept mediocrity.

Stadium had like a fraction of the Pokemon this does. And the first Stadium game left a good deal of them out, probably so they could focus on things like what you described.

So I dunno.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 15, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blaze Dragon posted:

Meanwhile this is really stupid and an example of the fandom's fearmongering. People aren't more mad at this because we don't know this, it has never been said. We know little to nothing about how Home works, please don't try to rile up a stupid and impulsive fanbase with things that, as far as we know, aren't true.

Wait, I thought it was confirmed to be a sub model. If it's not then I retract the statement because I clearly already riled up the stupid and impulsive fanbase. My bad.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
pre-emptively shaking my head for when we discover that the reason they couldn't bring back everybody was because making the big models for dynamaxing took too much time

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

No one's saying this isn't disappointing. But I don't think it's wrong to have perspective for what all this entails for Game Freak is wrong, either. And that still doesn't justify the amount of overly aggressive vitriol, bad takes, skewed perceptions of development, haranguing of opposite opinions, allegedly banning people, or the aforementioned manipulative tactics being employed by one side of the argument, either.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with that. The fandom's been terrible about this and I've seen some incredibly stupid opinions. But it's fine to have criticism for something that isn't free exactly. It's just not fine to take it to such extreme levels.

quote:

Stadium had like a fraction of the Pokemon this does. And the first Stadium game left a good deal of them out, probably so they could focus on things like what you described.

So I dunno.

I mean, sure, but by PBR you have every Sinnoh mon as well. We don't know the Galar Dex but that's already 493 Pokemon, I can't imagine that dex will have many more than that. Though I can absolutely imagine Creatures Inc. had a better schedule to work on it than Game Freak who are incredibly blatantly rushed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with that. The fandom's been terrible about this and I've seen some incredibly stupid opinions. But it's fine to have criticism for something that isn't free exactly. It's just not fine to take it to such extreme levels.

I mean, sure, but by PBR you have every Sinnoh mon as well. We don't know the Galar Dex but that's already 493 Pokemon, I can't imagine that dex will have many more than that. Though I can absolutely imagine Creatures Inc. had a better schedule to work on it than Game Freak who are incredibly blatantly rushed.

I feel like Stadium and PBR are bad comparisons, also, outside of what I stated above, because that's all those games do. They don't have to worry about anything else eating into dev time, because that's all they are. Battle simulators, and a glorified storage device. You have to focus on battle animations and nothing besides UI and, in Stadium's case, a bog standard Game Boy emulator. On top of that, they were using models that dated back to the N64 even on the Game Cube and Wii, so that also gave them corners to cut.

A big sprawling game like SwSh not so much.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

A thing thats gonna keep biting both sides is how little we know. Maybe Home is a sub model and your poo poo gets deleted if you dont pay, or maybe its free and you keep stuff always. Maybe theres battle stuff or maybe game elements means it tracks your steps to give a pokemon exp and nothing else.
Maybe the reduced pokedex gives more attention to the pokemon included and do creative things or maybr its sm on higher fidelity.

We don't know poo poo, and thats why arguments are rough. Blame the big companies.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Bleck posted:

pre-emptively shaking my head for when we discover that the reason they couldn't bring back everybody was because making the big models for dynamaxing took too much time

Turns out there are hundreds of unique models for Lillie walking around just offscreen at all times.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Pokemon Megatread: Beat the dead Dexit horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

For the record, I believe the reason why people are pissy about the Double Kick gif is that Scorbunny doesn't even do a little swat animation during the attack as is typical for the 3DS games, it just remains in its idle animation the entire time. Which to be fair, does sorta look dumb as hell.