Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

I did that the last two years and while syncing time is easy I found the on-screen disconnect was annoying. The FIA WEC commentary team isn't as bad as I previously thought.

They've got quite a few people who are associated with the radio lemans guys anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

julian assflange posted:

It’s the same as the telly, OP so you get the ads
And this is why I want the clean feed. TV2 doesn't have commercials within the programming itself, but they cheat by sending news broadcasts, and "Le Mans Pitstop" segments that they cut to, and put commercials in between.
If WEC let me pay a one-time fee each year for access to the clean feed, I'd buy it.
Also, proper live tracking that isn't broken on the phone, please?

Also, spinning during virtual safetycar because you hit the limiter? Amateur mistake (I'd do exactly the same, if put in a car going +300km/h and then hit the limiter).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 15, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
:lol: at the poo poo literally everyone in GTE Pro pulled at the start and end of that yellow.

Did Ferrari not show up this year or what? Haven't seen them side by side yet.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://i.4cdn.org/sp/1560607134611.webm

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

:lol: at the poo poo literally everyone in GTE Pro pulled at the start and end of that yellow.

Did Ferrari not show up this year or what? Haven't seen them side by side yet.
Ferrari is on the live timing, but it's damned little we've seen in the race of them so far - sometimes you can glimpse them at the back of a best of the rest of the GTE Pros.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

And this is why I want the clean feed. TV2 doesn't have commercials within the programming itself, but they cheat by sending news broadcasts, and "Le Mans Pitstop" segments that they cut to, and put commercials in between.
If WEC let me pay a one-time fee each year for access to the clean feed, I'd buy it.

As was said earlier, Eurosport Player also has an alternative ad-free feed with English commentary, if that works for you. I'm watching it here in Finland.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, what the gently caress was up with that Full Course Yellow? What caused it?

Zat posted:

As was said earlier, Eurosport Player also has an alternative ad-free feed with English commentary, if that works for you. I'm watching it here in Finland.
Apparently there are no trails available right now. :(

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 15, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
FIA WEC does a 10 euro one-time fee for the clean feed...? You just need a VPN.

The full-course yellow was the #88 spinning, not the other way around.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 23, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

FIA WEC does a 10 euro one-time fee for the clena feed...? You just need a VPN.

The full-course yellow was the #88 spinning, not the other way around.
Wait, since when can you pay for the clean feed? I'll look that up instead of Eurosport.

See the webm that I would blow Dane Cook posted; the virtual safety car was already active by the time he spun (he spun because he hit the 80km/h limiter on a corner, I'm pretty sure).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Not sure exactly what you mean by clean feed but the FIA WEC site has a great broadcast with a good commentary team and is 100% ad free. It's geoblocked but my VPN works great (VPN or stream tends to die overnight), and failing that there's pirate YouTube.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"hello, Is this the Fashion Police? i'd like to report a crime"

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

track day bro! posted:

They've got quite a few people who are associated with the radio lemans guys anyway.

The other poster is right there is an add free stream on Eurosport player

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Not sure exactly what you mean by clean feed but the FIA WEC site has a great broadcast with a good commentary team and is 100% ad free. It's geoblocked but my VPN works great (VPN or stream tends to die overnight), and failing that there's pirate YouTube.
I have access to enough servers over the world that I can setup IPSec on one of them (and I'm masochistic enough that I know how to set up IPSec), so I'll figure something out, thanks!
As to clean feed, I mean the video from WEC itself without any speak and no overlays like the lower third, clock, and track indications that WEC sometimes show (I can keep track of that on a secondary monitor).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

As to clean feed, I mean the video from WEC itself without any speak and no overlays like the lower third, clock, and track indications that WEC sometimes show (I can keep track of that on a secondary monitor).

You could use the stream from one of the team's onboard cameras.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

You could use the stream from one of the team's onboard cameras.
I still want WECs cutting between cameras, though.
What I want doesn't exist, and I've learned to accept that. :smith:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Wasn't ByKolles out by this time last year? Somehow they're not only still in but not last in class.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alonso is having a case of the grumps

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Shumagorath posted:

I saw the complaints about the hypercar rules earlier. What would you guys do differently? Gimping LMP2 seems unfair but also I feel like hybrid drive trains should be allowed at all times. Give me LMP1 cars that move like UFOs.

Adopt DPi 2.0 which will be faster than this gimped, heavy “hypercar”.

If they slow down LMP2 that also means slowing down GTE, btw.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Eurosport interrupts it's coverage to bring us the top 5 clips of car tyres catching on fire.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Adopt DPi 2.0 which will be faster than this gimped, heavy “hypercar”.

But Aston wants to race a street car which :shrug:

I haven’t read up on every last detail due to travel but I’m glad it made the real minimum requirement, which was Toyota + 1 for the first season. Hopefully the current privateer P1s are grandfathered for a year or two too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

In order for the current P1s to participate, they would have to gimp them by like 15 seconds a lap. And you know they would probably gimp them even more than that to keep the factories feeling special. Don’t think it’s gonna happen.

Also MSR just retweeted this, which is particularly bitter, lol. The ACO is evil+bad.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/48641731

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

In order for the current P1s to participate, they would have to gimp them by like 15 seconds a lap. And you know they would probably gimp them even more than that to keep the factories feeling special. Don’t think it’s gonna happen.

Also MSR just retweeted this, which is particularly bitter, lol. The ACO is evil+bad.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/48641731
I loving wish all those old dudes who can't drive properly and are an active risk to the professional drivers would gently caress off and 1) let the professionals do their job, 2) make room for more professionals, including women. :capitalism:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's Alonso time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm super loving stoked about car #63 doing as well as it is; it's a 6-year old design and the previous years they've had problems with maintaining the highest speeds that the competition could muster, but made up for it by having Rasmussen and Garcia and whichever third driver plus all of the mechanics they've had work as an absolute loving unit of a team.

This year, they're absolutely hammering it at the front of the pack.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is this what Alonso whispers to himself while adjusting various bits to fit with the 6-point harness, not realizing that the engineers have to listen to it every single time?
Because that's what I imagine now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm super loving stoked about car #63 doing as well as it is; it's a 6-year old design and the previous years they've had problems with maintaining the highest speeds that the competition could muster, but made up for it by having Rasmussen and Garcia and whichever third driver plus all of the mechanics they've had work as an absolute loving unit of a team.

This year, they're absolutely hammering it at the front of the pack.

Rasmussen? Is he going to stop and ask people who they’re going to vote for at pit stops? ;)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Rasmussen? Is he going to stop and ask people who they’re going to vote for at pit stops? ;)
Thank gently caress it's not the same Rasmussen - I'm quite happy that I got my fathers middle-name and my mothers surname, since that means I get to avoid being even remotely linked with the (hopefully former) prime minister.
I don't think Jan is going to stop for anything other the officials or the race director.

Also, TV2 and Eurosport have managed to sync their bullshit (news coverage and commercials plus expert and color commentary), so now I get to not watch anything. :(

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Rasmussen is a very pro-Republican polling organization here in the US.

I assume you know the race car driver is actually called Magnussen ;)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Rasmussen is a very pro-Republican polling organization here in the US.

I assume you know the race car driver is actually called Magnussen ;)
Oh right, I do know about that polling organization, too.

I can't believe I typoed his loving name, though. loving hell I'm dumb. :(

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
1. gently caress the FIA
2. gently caress the ACO
3. The GTE-Pro race is really good + cool so far so at least that's holding my attention
4. Great GTE-Am liveries this year as well

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not much drama so far. Will it rain at all?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

julian assflange posted:

Not much drama so far. Will it rain at all?
It always rains at Le Mans.
Except when it doesn't.

Edit: Going by a site that usually gets it pretty right, it might rain tomorrow morning around 7 in the morning local time.

EDIT2: Daaaaamn, Michelle Gatting - in her debut at Le Mans, is driving laps that's placing #83 in the top-5 fastest lap times for GTEAm.
I've been listening to the Danish commentators talk about her quite a bit, apparently she's been doing Go Kart since she was 8? That's some impressive dedication!

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 15, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This GTE Pro 4-way owns.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

This GTE Pro 4-way owns.
:hmmyes:

Has anyone heard of a reason why the pit lane closes when full-course yellow activates?

EDIT: Turns out it's because they're allowed a 5-second fuel fill-up in case they're running dry.

Also: It always rains at Le Mans. :getin:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 15, 2019

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

being destroyed by a car you're lapping is a great le mans tradition.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

You hate to see it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Croc posted:

being destroyed by a car you're lapping is a great le mans tradition.
Unfortunately it was the #88 too, wherein Satoshi Hoshino had his fair share of problems - but this one wasn't #88s fault, it was a blind angle I think?

I'm just glad Marcel Fässler is alright, because that crash reminded me a bit too much of the one that took Allan Simonsen from us.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
If that Corvette wasnt rear engined, it is now :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"We have the team radio, G-rated of course"
"you ok?"
"That was a hard one, gently caress"
"sorry about that!"

Someone forgot to censor the clip :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CactusWeasle posted:

If that Corvette wasnt rear engined, it is now :v:
Ah, they're preparing for the C8 which is mid-engined?