Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If I remember right it wasn't exactly hard to piss off your entire party in DA2 because they did that weird "they either love you or respect/fear you but not both" thing where if you didn't go down one of the two paths hard and tried to be more neutral they'd all flake out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Barudak posted:

It fit very well in my playthrough of DA2 where I inadvertently got the maximum number of dead party members/betrayals possible to the point where I ran into the games failsafes for "has a party of 4"

Trying to be friends with Fenris while also sticking up for my sister and him getting pissy about it made him turn against me at the end, and I felt really good about chopping him into so many pieces he became a generic damage model, bald head and everything.

And then the rest of the ending happened. Just what the christ...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

Trying to be friends with Fenris while also sticking up for my sister and him getting pissy about it made him turn against me at the end, and I felt really good about chopping him into so many pieces he became a generic damage model, bald head and everything.

And then the rest of the ending happened. Just what the christ...

Hah! That poo poo seems to be older then dirt. I remember back in Baldur's Gate I joined up with two evil guys for a while and the more good things I did the pissier they got. Since I didn't know that was a possibility, I got super-surprised when both suddenly turned on me. Since one of them was a mage guy with like 3 HP he died to a single lvl. 1 spell from my main, then the other guy was butchered by Imoen. Fun times.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Libluini posted:

Hah! That poo poo seems to be older then dirt. I remember back in Baldur's Gate I joined up with two evil guys for a while and the more good things I did the pissier they got. Since I didn't know that was a possibility, I got super-surprised when both suddenly turned on me. Since one of them was a mage guy with like 3 HP he died to a single lvl. 1 spell from my main, then the other guy was butchered by Imoen. Fun times.
Yeah, Montaron and Xzar are probably the first interaction you're going to have with that mechanic in BG1. If you pick up Khalid and Jaheira, they'll probably still betray you even if you aren't going goody-goody, because those four are programmed to hate each other.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Minsc will also turn on you if you don't immediately rush to get Dynaheir. The villains are more compromising than any adventurer.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
NIS raised executive pay limits by 5x after just having a stock sale to meet payroll. The speculation is that it's the executives getting ready to jump ship.
http://jin115.com/archives/52259460.html
https://nintendosoup.com/rumor-nippon-ichi-software-close-to-bankruptcy/

NIS America is a subsidiary of NIS in Japan so their controlling stock in the company is just an asset to be sold off. We're probably about to have a repeat of Atlus.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
lol

capitalism

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sorry folks we just can't make payroll, we can barely cover the quintupled executive pay for this last paycheck before bankruptcy

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

How in the world do you gently caress up a mobile game so badly that you have to take it down due to bugs and it bankrupts your entire company. Although, I guess the PC port of Disgaea 5 being a botch job probably didn't help with their financial situation.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah it's kinda odd since gachas seem to print money and all you need to do is slap some anime titties on it to lure people in.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's hard to do that when you haven't managed to release the game yet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its probably more a case of them being broke, trying to poo poo out a mobile game, and them rushing it and having so little money and time to work with that it launches bugged

i think the busted mobile game was just a symptom, not a cause

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm sure IF or someone will buy them, or at least the Disgaea brand. Hopefully the outcome results in the rank and file keeping a job through the transition

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like their games so I hope they don't go under

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I hate their games but I hope the workers do ok anyway

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wasn't a big reason that Xseed was not able to get Ys VIII (and presumably indirectly CS3) that the head Falcom and NIS guys were drinking buddies? At this point this is largely a meaningless question I suppose given the brain drain that's happened at Xseed, but I wonder if when the dust settles it no longer becomes a guarantee that NISA (rather than Xseed) gets Falcom's titles again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not sure i'd want xseed to have that kind of courtesy until they change their loving credits policy

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Please god do not let nintendo acquire their assets.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Why

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

What's the worst that could happen, they get used to make a good game for once?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nis' ps2 srpgs are good

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Xseed's got that gacha spinoff money now they don't need falcom anyway :xd:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Both of the Trails gachas are kinda meh so that's surprising.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the senran kagura one does fairly well and xseed is a child company of marvelous

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

the senran kagura one does fairly well and xseed is a child company of marvelous

Ah, didn't know that. Yeah, the Senran Kagura one is decent and looks nice to boot.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

going back to people adding weird poo poo to video games, I've been playing through the brave new world mod of ff6. I recall a lot of people talking about the amount of swearing added to this mod, but nobody mentioned that there is this incredibly weird part with Celes on the floating continent.

When celes joins your party after beating atma weapon (who...by the way...was a big difficulty spike.) she has the Shock command for some reason. When you're trying to escape from the floating island and there's these bat lady enemies trying to kill you, the shock command is the only way to kill them, despite doing 700 points of damage when any Ice-2 or the Ice sword will do from 1500-3000. the game gives you no indication that you're supposed to kill these things with shock so it's possible to just go 80 rounds with them doing roughly eight hundred billion points of damage and then die when the floating continent falls. Hope you saved after atma weapon!!!

Then when you're near the end a clown enemy represented by a save point sprite on the map appears, says something nefarious, kills everyone but celes with ultima, and then literally quotes emperor palpatine. celes responds with 'kingdom hearts is LIGHT' and kills him with shock for 2000 points of damage. apparently this dialogue used to be much worse

i'm very emotionally drained

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

GulagDolls posted:

going back to people adding weird poo poo to video games, I've been playing through the brave new world mod of ff6. I recall a lot of people talking about the amount of swearing added to this mod, but nobody mentioned that there is this incredibly weird part with Celes on the floating continent.

When celes joins your party after beating atma weapon (who...by the way...was a big difficulty spike.) she has the Shock command for some reason. When you're trying to escape from the floating island and there's these bat lady enemies trying to kill you, the shock command is the only way to kill them, despite doing 700 points of damage when any Ice-2 or the Ice sword will do from 1500-3000. the game gives you no indication that you're supposed to kill these things with shock so it's possible to just go 80 rounds with them doing roughly eight hundred billion points of damage and then die when the floating continent falls. Hope you saved after atma weapon!!!

Then when you're near the end a clown enemy represented by a save point sprite on the map appears, says something nefarious, kills everyone but celes with ultima, and then literally quotes emperor palpatine. celes responds with 'kingdom hearts is LIGHT' and kills him with shock for 2000 points of damage. apparently this dialogue used to be much worse

lol i remember playing that mod way back and i got up to about kefka's tower before everything became a tedious hp sponge and became deeply unfun

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

every citizen in narshe being turned into a canada joke should've readied me for this but it didn't

allegedly it's changed a lot since its inception so hopefully the bosses to come are still not "Do you have the required 45 minutes necessary to defeat this boss???" cause I've heard that multiple times

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem NIS has is that they've been skating on thin ice for a really long time. Pretty much anything not named Disgaea was not a particular success and their Disgaea games have seen rapidly diminishing returns but it's the only thing they produce that anyone really cares about. Almost every attempt they've made to start a new franchise has flopped miserably and they've suffered extreme brain drain over time.

As Endorph said, the mobile game flopping isn't the cause, it's just us seeing their last-ditch effort go down the drain and them having nothing else to really cover it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

GulagDolls posted:

I googled the romhack and it's funny how the guy gushes about how great the romhack is and how improved it is while mentioning in one line that they added memes and 4th wall breaking to the dialogue all sneaky like. https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/8myjnu/brave_new_world_190_is_out_final_fantasy_vi/

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

(there are a few memes/jokes/fourth wall breaks, but they have been significantly toned down in recent patches. I enjoyed them, myself)

a few???? A FEW??!?!?!? there are so, so many. it's really absurd. also, calling the script an improvement is...um...lol, woah.

it's too bad because i like a whole lot of the gameplay changes. except for enemies in the phantom forest using OHKO moves immediately, with no provocation.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Also please let me win the lottery so I can acquire the rights to Lunar and make a new game.

just make a lunar game with the serial numbers filed off it's not so bad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Check out my new game Moony, a throwback jrpg where you have to rescue your childhood friend Muna by becoming the Dragonruler and defeating Notyourphaleon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Check out my new game Moony, a throwback jrpg where you have to rescue your childhood friend Muna by becoming the Dragonruler and defeating Notyourphaleon

Are you working for Tokyo RPG Factory?!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Barudak posted:

I always preferred Moony 2: Very-Long-Time Cerulean.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
personally i always thought the guy named hero was a little too on the nose

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Mooney 3: Mo' Mooney Mo' Problems

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The problem NIS has is that they've been skating on thin ice for a really long time. Pretty much anything not named Disgaea was not a particular success and their Disgaea games have seen rapidly diminishing returns but it's the only thing they produce that anyone really cares about. Almost every attempt they've made to start a new franchise has flopped miserably and they've suffered extreme brain drain over time.

As Endorph said, the mobile game flopping isn't the cause, it's just us seeing their last-ditch effort go down the drain and them having nothing else to really cover it.

It sucks because I’ve played more of their side projects than any of their Disgaea-verse strategy games. Yomawari is a great horror game, get that Switch version yo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm playing Secret of mana for the first time and jank is pretty what I expected from an old SNES action RPG but whoever designed the menus needs to answer for their crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fairy Fencer F has sort of dived off a cliff since the party has been expanding, Fang/Eryn/Tiara had a really great dynamic and the new losers do not

Is this a known low point and it'll get better or is this the new normal?