Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

Okay, I'm done with Final Fantasy Adventure. I'm in the second to last room of a dungeon, the boss is behind a locked door and the only way back is through a breakable wall, but I've run out of both keys and mattocks. And hey, since I learned my lesson last time, I've been saving every five minutes so I can't even reload.

Old games are bad

Likewise. I can’t believe I had nostalgia for this game. I was able to beat it as a kid but it’s just janky and frustrating now. The combat feels so incredibly bad and the inventory and item management is awful.

So I started Secret and the menus there seem somehow even worse! The combat seems barely improved. I’m still in the starting area but I’m beginning to regret this purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

KingSlime posted:

Lmao yeah it makes sense in a loony Twitter person kind of way

I don't think anyone believes it's happening, everyone just wants it to. It's crazy a franchise called the legend of Zelda doesn't have Zelda as the MC. The best guess of the sequels title that I've seen is Breath of the Wild II: The legend of Zelda.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It is happening and Zelda will be playable in BOTW2

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Eh I could see it going either way. Nintendo seems more than willing to break "sacred rules" lately for the sake of customization or added experiences so being able to play as Zelda could be a thing in botw2.

But the hair clipping rationale is hilarious, it's like reading tea leaves or something

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The hair is truly minor, but the concept of Zelda adventuring with Link in some sort of possibly-multiplayer scenario is undoubtedly in the cards

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Spirit Tracks had one of the best versions of Zelda and I would be down for playing a game just as her if she owned anywhere near as much as in Spirit Tracks.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Spellman posted:

The hair is truly minor, but the concept of Zelda adventuring with Link in some sort of possibly-multiplayer scenario is undoubtedly in the cards

Yeah it'll be like how she traveled with Link in Spirit Tracks

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Aonuma said he read every post on miiverse related to Zelda, so if we get Zelda and Link co-op with Zelda magic casting and blessing Link in real time almost like NuPoP, you can thank me.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Zelda will be Link's extra jump/time rewind/etc. like Elika in Prince of Persia '08.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
gently caress playing Zelda I want to play Link....le.

Linkle for BotW2, do it you cowards.

Make it official, not something I have to mod

Spellman
May 31, 2011

What if they used the map from Breath of the Wild in some sort of remixed Dark World/Lorule-like scenario, complete with all the obvious changes that come with it: monster NPCs in monster towns, different colored landscapes, possibly the biomes changed, some secrets from BotW cross-over but there are new ones. The familiarity+the potential to dedicate a bunch more development time to just the worldbuilding, new materials, and new gameplay would be pretty cool IMO

Turn the Gerudo Desert into a swamp and actually put something interesting there

Can also bring Twili and whatever other Dark World-adjacent characters into it, aswell

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Breath of the Wild 2 should make it so Link only moves to the beat just like Cadence imo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

It is happening and Zelda will be playable in BOTW2

finally someone talking sense

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Spellman posted:

What if they used the map from Breath of the Wild in some sort of remixed Dark World/Lorule-like scenario, complete with all the obvious changes that come with it: monster NPCs in monster towns, different colored landscapes, possibly the biomes changed, some secrets from BotW cross-over but there are new ones. The familiarity+the potential to dedicate a bunch more development time to just the worldbuilding, new materials, and new gameplay would be pretty cool IMO

Just make it Lorule outright and let us play as Hilda.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Solar Tornado posted:

Remember way back when the very first trailer for BotW came up and people thought link was a girl?

All's I'm saying is don't get your hopes up about playing as Zelda in the next game

Link is a girl

Spellman
May 31, 2011

less laughter posted:

Just make it Lorule outright and let us play as Hilda.

For all we know, the corpse was Yuga

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Spellman posted:

Yuga ain’t no Gerudo. He’s never shown any heraldry of it. :colbert:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yuga ain’t no Gerudo. He’s never shown any heraldry of it. :colbert:

Uh oh, I've summoned the experts

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

zelda and link actually went down there to wake ganondorf because they're going to need all the help they can get

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

In the “Great Deals” section of the Switch eShop I noticed big titles like Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 for 33% off. There’s other deals that just sound insane compared to buying a physical copy. I’m not really familiar with the shop. Is this just a temporary deal that’s happening, or is it more permanent and has been happening for a while?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're coming off sale in a day or two. The sale is just part of an E3 promotion.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Leal posted:

gently caress playing Zelda I want to play Link....le.

Linkle for BotW2, do it you cowards.
A side game at least, Linkle's Crossbow Training Massacre with some nice gyro controls seems like an obvious winner

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Spellman posted:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

a.lo posted:

zelda and link actually went down there to wake ganondorf because they're going to need all the help they can get

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

does the Genesis Collection have added features for each game like the 3DS Classics do i.e. how Streets of Rage 2 has a bunch of customization options? Not sure if M2 touched this so I wasn't gonna bother getting it onsale unless it had those additions.

Nope. M2 did not do the Genesis Collection, and the emulation suffers from some bad input lag. I was very disappointed with the Genesis Collection, I’d recommend avoiding unless you can get it on the cheap and/or really want to have the RPGs and whatnot where input lag doesn’t matter.

The “Sega Ages” releases on the eShop, however, are done by M2, and feature excellent emulation and some nice extra features, much like the 3DS Classics. The OutRun release is excellent, and people are saying good things about the Sonic 1 and Virtua Racing releases.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So the hand messing with Ganon is definitely Toilet Ghost, right?

Sold
vvvv

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 15, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Toilet Ghost is trying to stop him, unfortunately it fails and kills Link and Zelda and we have to play as Toilet Ghost, going to the various toilets across Hyrule to grab the items we need to defeat Ganon.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Toilet Ghost is trying to stop him, unfortunately it fails and kills Link and Zelda and we have to play as Toilet Ghost, going to the various toilets across Hyrule to grab the items we need to defeat Ganon.

Breath of the Wild kind of honors all of the peaceful moments and characters in Zelda, like the King, or approaching the tree and drawing the Master Sword. It would be cool to have a game that honors the beasts and the bizarre

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Solar Tornado posted:

Remember way back when the very first trailer for BotW came up and people thought link was a girl?

All's I'm saying is don't get your hopes up about playing as Zelda in the next game

yea but on the flip nintendo made a statement about being surprised about the level of interest over that but would keep it in mind, or something like that

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

Likewise. I can’t believe I had nostalgia for this game. I was able to beat it as a kid but it’s just janky and frustrating now. The combat feels so incredibly bad and the inventory and item management is awful.

So I started Secret and the menus there seem somehow even worse! The combat seems barely improved. I’m still in the starting area but I’m beginning to regret this purchase.

I know I know, different opinions and all that, but I still regularly play both games and I'm just baffled by your experiences. Both are so simple and easy games, I just switch them on and have tons of fun. It genuinely makes me feel sad that your experiences are so different.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So is the Genesis Collection worth grabbing for 20 bucks or is the emulation still really bad?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Handsome Ralph posted:

So is the Genesis Collection worth grabbing for 20 bucks or is the emulation still really bad?

There's a small input lag that's very noticeable when playing certain games like Sonic, but not as annoying during slower games like Phantasy Star IV or any of the other RPGs. I guess it all depends on how badly you want to play a decent selection of Genesis games on the Switch.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The only reason I wouldn’t expect to play as Zelda, is their stated reason for why Link doesn’t talk as well as the reason for the name is that he’s the player’s link to the game. I don’t know myself if that’s gotta be so sacred, but Nintendo’s a company that often sticks to those things.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Legend of Zelda is just an escalating calvacade of Zelda screwing up.

- gets kidnapped in a bunch of varieties. Can't blame her TOO much, wasn't raised to do much of anything in those times

- escapes kidnapping for once by learning secret ninja techniques and uses these techniques to... teach a mentally 9 years old boy some flute tunes

- tries to escape kidnapping by joining/leading a bunch of pirates (a.k.a. criminals and thieves known for wanton murder), what the heck were you thinking?? And then she STILL fails and gets kidnapped after all that

- then fails to recognize that the game isn't actually about her and another princess stole her man and her limelight, and ends up fighting Link, like c'mon girl, don't get possessed just cause you're jealous

- then tries to stay ahead of Link a few steps all of the way and wimps out at the very end where she lets herself get possessed AGAIN to sleep for a thousand years; didn't even lose against another hot princess this time, but against the sausage fest of Road Trip buddy Groose and the crushing-on-Link bad guy

- now she bungles everything and doesn't even curry the favor of the gods, which was like her one saving grace the past games - magical mcguffin powers. Evil actually just straight up destroys Hyrule and most of her family and friends

Can't wait to see the next step up in "how to botch your prophesied role".

- Zelda gets born as a man

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Handsome Ralph posted:

It’s functional enough, except for input lag that makes fast-twitch games handle poorly. Do not buy it for Sonic, it's missing Sonic 3 and the Sega Ages releases of 1 and 2 are/will be much better emulation quality. RPGs and other games that don’t need fast inputs play just fine, so it depends on how much those appeal to you.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Libluini posted:

I know I know, different opinions and all that, but I still regularly play both games and I'm just baffled by your experiences. Both are so simple and easy games, I just switch them on and have tons of fun. It genuinely makes me feel sad that your experiences are so different.

Ehh, I’ll still probably beat FFA. I died to the Medusa boss a million times because I’m impatient and it’s just annoying to have to stop moving, face the right direction, and hit its tiny little hit box while avoiding snakes that glitch out and don’t even appear on the screen sometimes while still hitting you.

Secret of Mana, I’m only a few minutes in and will definitely give it some more time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Solar Tornado posted:

This destroyed the original Wii U thread, good (?) times.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

Ehh, I’ll still probably beat FFA. I died to the Medusa boss a million times because I’m impatient and it’s just annoying to have to stop moving, face the right direction, and hit its tiny little hit box while avoiding snakes that glitch out and don’t even appear on the screen sometimes while still hitting you.

Secret of Mana, I’m only a few minutes in and will definitely give it some more time.

The trick with bosses in FFA/Mystic Quest is to stay away from them as far as possible and to try and get them with maxed out special attacks. Also remember to occasionally boost your magic so you can heal often. The life spell saved my rear end more often than any sword strike.

Fake edit:

Aw poo poo, I just got to my favorite part in Secret of Mana, and the new German translation replaced the old Lindenstraße-joke with a generic soccer game joke. Welp, at least it's still funny, and I guess less and less young people today remember that old German soap. :shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Handsome Ralph posted:

It’s really bad. I wouldn’t play it even at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Peacoffee posted:

The only reason I wouldn’t expect to play as Zelda, is their stated reason for why Link doesn’t talk as well as the reason for the name is that he’s the player’s link to the game. I don’t know myself if that’s gotta be so sacred, but Nintendo’s a company that often sticks to those things.
just change link's name, problem solved