Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Let it rest a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Also let it cool on cookie sheet after you shred. Putting many pounds of 190° eat in a fridge isn't the wisest move.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Sorry for the miscommunication, I was phoneposting in between doing other stuff. In my mind, the resting was implied.

Anyway, it may be a moot point. I checked the temp about half an hour ago, and it was already at 150F. It may hit 195-205 earlier than midnight. I think I'm going to follow this here: https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/cook-today-serve-tomorrow-wozniak-way

Basically, remove from grill when it hits 195-205, wrap tightly, put in a bag, toss in a ice filled cooler until it drops to the 40s. Refrigerate. Tomorrow afternoon, reheat in a 225F oven still wrapped in foil with some liquid to keep it moist. Probably some stock or whiskey. Looks like I need to heat it back to at least 160F, too.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Anyway, it may be a moot point. I checked the temp about half an hour ago, and it was already at 150F. It may hit 195-205 earlier than midnight.

This is what everyone thinks...
it's not going finish until 1am now that you've said this.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

tater_salad posted:

Shh... It's all part of my ploy to have the BBQ gods make it take all the way until 10am tomorrow...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

QuarkMartial posted:

Anyway, it may be a moot point. I checked the temp about half an hour ago, and it was already at 150F. It may hit 195-205 earlier than midnight.

Sorry dude but now the smoker gods are aware of you and they will be sure to prove you wrong.

Fake edit:

tater_salad posted:

Lol

Real edit:

QuarkMartial posted:

Shh... It's all part of my ploy to have the BBQ gods make it take all the way until 10am tomorrow...

:lol:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

1am Saturday morning.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Look, it heard us. Smoker dropped to 225F and the internal temp dropped to 141F.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The smokers gone endothermic!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
This was my set up earlier: https://www.instagram.com/p/BysarrvgrCG/

I really want to like this smoker, mainly because my dad gave it to me, and it's got a lot of promise.... but it does not bring me joy. The bottom is entirely open. There's no way to control the air intake, which is bad when all your coals ignite at once due to, uh, not putting your chips in correctly. It also uses charcoal like crazy! I've used all of a small bag and I've really struggled keeping the temp at 225. It's spent a lot of time in the 200 range. I'll try again with using a ring of charcoal in the bottom, as I think that'll have the best results, but for now I've pulled my butt off the smoker, wrapped it, and put it in a 225F oven to finish.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Bloomberg: Why Brisket is More Expensive Than Ever

quote:

Normally with brisket, “99% of people are going to screw it up,” says Shane Miller, senior vice president of beef enterprise at Tyson Foods Inc. “But if you get a pellet smoker, you’re a hero.” The company recently reintroduced the cut to its customers and found willing takers in retailers such as Walmart Inc.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It hit 195F right around 11pm. It's resting on the counter now, and after about an hour's rest I'll give it the ol' icebath and get ready for tomorrow.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

QuarkMartial posted:

This was my set up earlier: https://www.instagram.com/p/BysarrvgrCG/

I really want to like this smoker, mainly because my dad gave it to me, and it's got a lot of promise.... but it does not bring me joy. The bottom is entirely open. There's no way to control the air intake, which is bad when all your coals ignite at once due to, uh, not putting your chips in correctly. It also uses charcoal like crazy! I've used all of a small bag and I've really struggled keeping the temp at 225. It's spent a lot of time in the 200 range. I'll try again with using a ring of charcoal in the bottom, as I think that'll have the best results, but for now I've pulled my butt off the smoker, wrapped it, and put it in a 225F oven to finish.

Look up ECB mods.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

QuarkMartial posted:

It hit 195F right around 11pm. It's resting on the counter now, and after about an hour's rest I'll give it the ol' icebath and get ready for tomorrow.

I've never let my pork butts hit 195 because I'm usually making it for the next day and I just pull at 5-6 hrs when the ribs i'm going to eat that day are done. That way I don't have a lot of clean up late at night or have to wake up at 4am to have a chance of making dinner. I just don't see the point of cooking it to tenderness if you aren't planning on eating it that day and are just going to crock pot it the next day.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I blame Arby's for buying them all.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Butt's in the oven. Decided to reheat at 350F. Several places I looked said that lower temperatures (save for maybe 325) wouldn't get the inside hot enough quickly to avoid the danger zone. Tossed in some pineapple juice and whiskey and am taking it to 165.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Pork shoulder on the weber kettle.

Lately I've been going quite a bit higher on temps than most people, very pleased with the results.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

revmoo posted:

Pork shoulder on the weber kettle.

Lately I've been going quite a bit higher on temps than most people, very pleased with the results.

Go on...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Dumping out the data and running AVERAGE() in excel I get 346

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I ended up getting this for Father's Day partially from my wife and mostly from myself. I put it together yesterday and fired it up. I set it at 450 just to do some quick burgers for dinner, but the temperature kept climbing and fluctuating a bit. I was worried that something was wrong, and began reading horrific stories a few people who had bad or misconfigured temperature controllers.

I was ready to call technical support this morning but decided to do another dry run. It's held 225 even for over an hour, and independent oven thermometer tests across the cooking surface show that it is consistent throughout.

This is good enough for me and I'm going to get after it tomorrow.

Only complaint is that the front tray got pretty hot yesterday. Seems to only be an issue at very high grilling temperature though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

No comment on the smoker, but in my eyes you have a drat nice patio.

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iwz6TntjCYQptPFR9 I need to try and remember to keep taking pics. This is chuck roast on the 22 and crab cakes and apple pie on the woodwind. It was a chill cook, the roast was are up quick.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
BBQ turned out great. Planning to make the leftovers into carnitas.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Byv5e9PnQK8/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Today for Father’s Day, my dad got:

Freshly smoked homemade bacon

And two tomahawk ribeyes

Steak butter made with garlic, parsley, and cambozola cheese. Baked potato topped with sour cream, bacon bits, colby jack cheese, and the aforementioned steak butter.

P good day

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Beautiful steak, cooked perfect, not a tomahawk.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tomahawk bone has to be obnoxiously long to the point where it makes cooking difficult.

This isn't long enough for a tomahawk.

Set the grill to 180 degrees, took just under 2 hours to get to mid-rare on the probe.

Let it rest and turned the grill up to 600 and opened the flame gates. Took about 20 minutes to get there, which is longer than I wanted to wait.
That's a bit more intense than I was expecting.

Looks good.

A little bit over what I usually go for, but it was great. I'll get it dialed in.

This grill is cheating.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Anyone try loading rounds of pellets into the chips loader on an MES?

Curious to try a smoke without my AMNPS. I always have issues with it staying out due to my elevation. My current setup has a computer fan blowing into the chip loader to get better airflow.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

First world problem: Trying to unload new ceramic cooker egg from back of truck.

Hopefully I hear back shortly on how I will handle said problem.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Made those pork belly burnt ends on Father's Day and while they're tasty they're also... a lot. Will probably freeze most of it for chopping and adding to my BBQ beans in lieu of the usual brisket + bacon combo.

I think I'll try it with a shoulder next time, the belly was just too heavy to eat more than like 3 pieces in a sitting.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

First world problem: Trying to unload new ceramic cooker egg from back of truck.

Dig a loading dock

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Colostomy Bag posted:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Colostomy Bag posted:

FYI, you also need to lift + place these on to the stand/legs once the box is opened.

I just got one of these to replace my old gas grill + WSM, and it's fantastic.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Chemmy posted:

Beautiful steak, cooked perfect, not a tomahawk.

The store I got them from had them marked as “cowboy ribeyes”. Why they cut off the bones I have no idea, but that was the only way they sold them.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

The store I got them from had them marked as “cowboy ribeyes”. Why they cut off the bones I have no idea, but that was the only way they sold them.

A ribeye is a ribeye is a ribeye. A tomahawk ribeye is different in that it cost more because you have a ton more bone weight which adds nothing but makes it harder to grill.

A cowboy ribeye is assumed to be just a larger/thicker cut ribeye.

Ribeye.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Infinite Karma posted:

FYI, you also need to lift + place these on to the stand/legs once the box is opened.

I just got one of these to replace my old gas grill + WSM, and it's fantastic.

:siren: The eagle has landed :siren:

Bribed my son to come over to help unload it by serving dinner which was sous vide filet mignons. Three of us were able to man handle it into the stand.

But holy hell, don't want to do that again. A very very stressful few moments. Funny thing was all three of us were trying to come up with the best solution before we finally said screw it and went ahead.

Now I get to learn the vent settings.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

Today for Father’s Day, my dad got:

Freshly smoked homemade bacon

And two tomahawk ribeyes

Steak butter made with garlic, parsley, and cambozola cheese. Baked potato topped with sour cream, bacon bits, colby jack cheese, and the aforementioned steak butter.

P good day

I. M. Gei posted:

Pork belly burnt ends

I followed the recipe from the Youtube video posted earlier and they were unbelievable. They literally melt in your mouth. Dad kept making Homer Simpson-esque grunts of satisfaction 20 minutes after he finished eating (which is a high compliment coming from him) and declared this one of the best meals he’s ever eaten. He still hasn’t stopped raving about it.

Absolutely killing it man. I imagine that your dad is now quite satisfied with the purchase, and is glad that you got him onboard.

Also, cowboy ribeye is a super thick ribeye, with or without the bone being cleaned up. Tomahawk is where they leave the bone cut super long, regardless of thickness, but it's usually cut to the same thickness as one bone itself. Sometimes you'll see a tomahawk suuuuuper thick though.

Cowboy:

Tomahawk:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

That's some dummy thicc steaks, brah.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I would like tomahawk steaks a lot if not for what atothesquiz called out. It's usually the same cost per pound as other ribeyes, maybe like 5% cheaper depending on the butcher, so you are paying for a LOT of bone. I get it though, it takes time and effort to clean up the bone instead of just cutting it off, so it's the same cost for the butcher. I just hate paying for just the aesthetic.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's literally no reason to pay for a tomahawk except for e-peen points when you post pictures. It's less meat for the same money and a pain in the dick to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Buy a standing rib roast when they go on sale and cut your own steaks.