Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

trucks are great when you want to build a fuckhuge factory out in the middle of nowhere and need a shitload of construction materials readily available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Duodecimal posted:

Finished this playthrough - only have jetpack not researched. I started out thinking I had things organized. Pure coal and caterium found nearby in the far south, plus the closest convenient sulfur. Next step is to set up a truck route to the quartz and oil north of me.

Let's look a bit closer at whatever that is going on in the middle there ...

Hey, you have that caterium node in the south uncovered! How? I threw enough Nobelisks at those boulders to blow a hole in the earth but nothing would happen. Maybe a multiplayer bug? My friend was hosting the game.

TigerXtrm fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 4, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Could be. I blew it up in my game just fine. Just make sure you put a miner on it before you leave, because the boulders respawn.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I think it might have been my very first nobelisk usage. I didn't have any problem with it - I just walked up to it, tossed the stick on the ground between the boulders, and detonated it while walking away because I wasn't sure which button did what.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Unexpected patch hit experimental yesterday. They unlocked tier 7 (no trains yet though) and a ton of technical improvements. It's marked as very experimental, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try and seeing how nuclear will work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/c0ls4d/patch_notes_early_access_experimental_v0114_build/

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The lack of dedicated servers is killing this for me.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
What's killing this for me is the scale of the production chain. Building any of the late tier stuff like heavy modular frames requires a factory with an absolute massive footprint. Building just two heavy modular frames per minute requires 10 miners, 46(!!) constructors, 12 assemblers and 12 coal power plants just to power the production for this one item. Couple this with the general bulkiness of all the machinery and you end up with this insanely large factory for quite honestly very little output.

And yeah there's overclocking and alternate recipes, but it takes quite a while before you get to that point and requires quite a bit of exploration.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It wouldn't be as bad with blueprints. I would love something like what cities skylines had, where you could package pre-built packages of stuff into one item and plop it down AND share it on the mod workshop.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

totalnewbie posted:

It wouldn't be as bad with blueprints. I would love something like what cities skylines had, where you could package pre-built packages of stuff into one item and plop it down AND share it on the mod workshop.

Many people play Factorio that way where they just stamp down a bunch of blueprints and they don't really play the game. I think I would rather see personal blueprints where you design something modular and then just copy it a dozen times.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Still working on unlocking the newest experimental tier stuff since although I do have automated production of the required products set up, it's not fast enough to get the materials loaded into the space elevator in a timely manner. May need to expand my operations to other parts of the continent...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You should really just be setting up a production line making a few of the high-tier products feeding into a ton of containers, and then go exploring. When you get back you'll have plenty of everything to unlock stuff.

Re. nuclear power, the reactor generates 2500 MW and has a 300 s burn time per fuel unit. One fuel unit takes 45 uranium ore, some AI Limiters, stators, and encased beams. The fuel units have a 150 s production time, so one nuclear fuel production line can support two reactors.
I think there's 4 uranium nodes on the map, all normal quality, so if you put Mk3 miners on them all and overclock all 250%, by my calculations you can run around 106-107 nuclear reactors for a total of 265 GW power output.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, that's totally what I do, I set up a few things to feed into containers while I'm out looking for more stuff. Great excuse to go hard drive hunting.

...huh. One hard drive recipe wasn't a recipe but gave me more inventory slots. Is that new?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Picked this game up recently and have been slowly playing on my own without reading too many guides or so-forth. Cleared out tier 6 and am just waiting for the tier 7 stuff to hit the non-experimental stage.

I've got heavy modular frames and computer production automated, but I think if I need to automate supercomputers, I'm going to have to do a complete tear-down and rebuild, because right now my base is a huge rats-nest of conveyor belts.

Am I right in guessing I should just let my current base run overnight to build up my supply of high-end products and only to a rebuilt after the next update and all the improvements that come with tier 7 (Like Mk Miners)? Or how long is tier 8 expected to take? I'm eyeing those mk2 constructors and assemblers...

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

New updates are looking great, I'm excited to jump back in once they stabilize. But man, they really need to make dedicated servers a priority, that's killing my drive to get back into the game.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Speedball posted:

...huh. One hard drive recipe wasn't a recipe but gave me more inventory slots. Is that new?

Yeah, there's two of those.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Honestly you should always complete your thorough rebuild before you tear out an old facility.

Cut off the raw material feeds to the old arrangements and slap together a storage yard to route all of your final products into, in order to drain any interstitial buffer cans as well as the internal inventories of machines and all the backed-up conveyors, head off to re-automate those products, then return for your teardown and sort all the parts you retrieve into the new storage area as well.

I actually wound up purpose-building a truck to manually haul the resulting storage inventory to my new HUB location and sorting it into personal storages, then deconstructing and storing the truck.

That was the last thing I did before the previous experimental went live, the final phase of a rebuild which turned my initial site into a three-story monster which spits out three mk4 belts of iron ingots per minute.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I just delete items from my inventory.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, I forgot to include pictures of my base.

Like I said, it's a real mess at the moment. I planned it out very nicely when it was just iron, copper, and limestone, but adding in several more elements and an increased complexity of mixing the existing production products means it all has to be redone.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 18, 2019

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Bobulus posted:

Oh, I forgot to include pictures of my base.

Like I said, it's a real mess at the moment. I planned it out very nicely when it was just iron, copper, and limestone, but adding in several more elements and an increased complexity of mixing the existing production products means it all has to be redone.

You think THAT is a mess? Oh you sweet, sweet summer child.

Main base, with hub.

Satellite base for heavy production.

Main base closeup.

Satellite base closeup.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For everyone that's been holding out, they just released trains in the experimental branch!

quote:

Hi Pioneers!

Surprise! We have added Trains to Experimental. Now beware, they are definitely still work in progress both visually and functionally. Nonetheless, we’d like you to try them out, give us feedback and see if they break. Specifically multiplayer is still a problem, so don’t expect them to work for clients in multiplayer sessions.

As usual, a reminder that Experimental is prone to be unstable. If you want to be on the safe side when playing it, it is advised to back up your saves.

Hope you all have some fun with the Trains! <3

NEW CONTENT

Trains (still work in progress)
Trains are unlockable in Tier 6. Now go and set up your next level long range resource transportation!
Icons for a bunch of the Tier 7 resources (still work in progress)
Added the mesh for the Silica

BUG FIXES

Fixed a cave in the Swamp so players don’t get stuck in the ceiling
Red Kapok Tree (in the Red Jungle) and the small Pink Mangrove Trees (Bamboo Fields) should be destructible now. The big Pink Mangrove Trees are not destructible and there might still be some cases of the small trees in which they can’t be destroyed
Fixed a crash related to dismantling Geothermal Generators
Fixed a crash related to destructible rocks
The categories for recipes in the Codex should now work properly
The infinite loading screen issues should be fixed

FACTORY

Changed the Nuclear Power Plant mesh (still work in progress)

UI

Added some feedback when trying to trash Nuclear Waste

WORLD

More work on the Bamboo Fields (still work in progress)
Some smaller fixes on the Red Jungle
Edibles added to the Red Jungle
Small fog fixes for the Swamp

WILDLIFE

Minor tweaks to the Elite Stinger

OPTIMISATION

Fixed some network related clamping on the Conveyors

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tested out trains a bit.
You'll need a supply of heavy modular frames, computers, and motors, as well as steel pipes and steel beams. Track is built with steel pipes and steel beams, has a minimum turning radius of about 2.5 foundations, does not snap to a grid on foundations, but does attempt to roughly follow terrain. It's difficult/near impossible to build entirely straight track. When building, be careful to actually connect your track segments, it's possible to accidentally not connect and get broken circuits.
Each freight car holds 32 inventory slots, and the loco can accelerate up to about 120 km/h.
Careful with building sharp corners and taking them at speed, I got motion sickness.
Stations are modular. You need a station "head" which gives the station a name, accepts a power connection, and allows the train to be scheduled to stop there. You also need a loading bay for each freight car the station needs to load, i.e. for the length of the train. There is also a "spacer" station module that allows a car to stop there without being (un)loaded. The loading bays each have two belt inputs and two outputs, and hold 48 inventory slots.
There is (currently?) no mechanism for switches to split/merge tracks, you have to build complete circuits to allow automatic running, otherwise you have to deconstruct and rebuild the trains to reverse them.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

nielsm posted:

does not snap to a grid on foundations

this as all i needed to know to put the TRAINS into the TRASH

it's like the devs don't know their audience is primarily obsessives who carpet the world in concrete so everything aligns just so!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MarquiseMindfang posted:

this as all i needed to know to put the TRAINS into the TRASH

it's like the devs don't know their audience is primarily obsessives who carpet the world in concrete so everything aligns just so!

Please tell me someone out there has created a platform above the entire map and just does conveyor elevators up to it from all the resource nodes.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Far from the entire map, but it's what I've been doing to every resource node around the first starting zone.

Going to take a while to take it all down and convert it to trains.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just build another layer over it for trains. Never disassemble, just continuously pave the world.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Guys, this is how Taris got started. Let's not repeat that ghastly lesson.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Looks like there's another mini-update to Experimental, I'm getting a patch download right now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cobbsprite posted:

Looks like there's another mini-update to Experimental, I'm getting a patch download right now.

Mainly bug fixes for the worst stuff.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So I had been in the middle of a rebuild when I stopped playing the experimental last time; I was just about to shortly automate heavy modular frames before deciding to do a drain-and-tear-down, then build a giant foundry block where my first factory is.

I've got reinforced iron plates and rotors up now; each required it's own six-constructor screw producer to support (I have an alt recipe which turns 15 Iron Ingots per minute into 90 screws per minute) and I just completed a third screw-ery since I have 56 screws/minute of production over what I'm consuming at the moment.

Fortunately I have enough crude coming in for 270 plastic/minute, and I intend to use every bit for max computer throughput, then do frames and heavy frames. After that it's just engines which I have about a thousand of in storage from my initial factory, setting up a truck route for caterium ingots and automating all of that poo poo. I get the feeling that my first train route will be to expand crude throughput in order to get the plastic to supply the caterium electronics installations, and also fuel power.

It's a slog having to play catch-up, but I'm only tapping 2/3ds of my iron smelters (1 short-haul tractor route per T3 belt, to ensure supply continuity) from the rebuild SNIP

--four hours later I am smoking a bowl on my porch, having realized when I got distracted while typing this that I had a 20/m reinforced plate setup, I was going to need at least 60, and also I have a special recipe which will produce 7.5/m/machine for the same cost in iron plates and subbing 75 Wire/m for the screws, which means one of my screw setups is free for retasking, and I had enough wire for circuit boards AND plates. Overclocking a mine is basically cheating!

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

LonsomeSon posted:

--four hours later I am smoking a bowl on my porch, having realized when I got distracted while typing this that I had a 20/m reinforced plate setup, I was going to need at least 60, and also I have a special recipe which will produce 7.5/m/machine for the same cost in iron plates and subbing 75 Wire/m for the screws, which means one of my screw setups is free for retasking, and I had enough wire for circuit boards AND plates. Overclocking a mine is basically cheating!

The Iron Ore + Copper Ore = Iron Ingot, Iron Wire (Wire from iron ingot), and Stitched Iron Plate (Iron Plate + Copper Wire = Reinforced) alt recipes combine really really well together

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

They've been busy with fixes this week. Latest patch has made train track snap to grid on foundations, which should make it easier to build straight!

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
So this game is looking drat good and would scratch one hell of an itch. After being burned on almost every single early access title I've bought into, and not wanting to touch anything Epic with a 10ft pole, I have to ask: Is it worth it?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Crazyeyes24 posted:

So this game is looking drat good and would scratch one hell of an itch. After being burned on almost every single early access title I've bought into, and not wanting to touch anything Epic with a 10ft pole, I have to ask: Is it worth it?

Without reservation, yes. This game is my new heroin.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I have found the Early Access to be thoroughly Satisfactory thus far.

Having another launcher is having another launcher. The UI for it is decent, it lacks a Gift feature for buying games for friends.

If you liked Factorio but wanted to crawl around on enormous blocky machines in a gorgeous alien Fern Gully, with less intricate belt spaghetti in terms of managing lanes a d merges but more demanding in terms of planning supply routes in 3D space, you might consider checking it out.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Crazyeyes24 posted:

It's good but not great so far, don't go in expecting Factorio or anything. The lack of biters/the 3dness of it removes much/all of the challenge and the lack of blueprints makes the scale to which you need to build poo poo very tedious. It has potential though and if you are after a more sandbox experience it's decent but I'd give it another year or so.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

socialsecurity posted:

It's good but not great so far, don't go in expecting Factorio or anything. The lack of biters/the 3dness of it removes much/all of the challenge and the lack of blueprints makes the scale to which you need to build poo poo very tedious. It has potential though and if you are after a more sandbox experience it's decent but I'd give it another year or so.

Yea this is about the size of it.

If you're the kinda guy that says "this recipe needs screws, so bam here's a screw constructor" it's very good.
If you say "This needs 90 screws a minute and this machine makes 60/min, so I need 1.5 machines; and I need 4 of them so that's 6 screw machines, but that's 360 screws/min which is more than my belt capacity so I need to split it and and and........" then it doesn't feel like it's built to be as 'friendly' as it could be. It's... fine. A jolly time with friends, and good for a bit.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Also, in the Experimental branch you can live out all your train conductor fantasies so long as you have the infrastructure to build a vast amount of steel beams and pipes - ah poo poo, I need to finish shifting all my steel production

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Funny story, I calculated out a batshit crazy optimum setup for motors and reinforced plates, including careful division of copper wire. Like, I need 4x conveyors of 1 2/3x the wire output of a single constructor, so I need to divide five constructor's worth up using a very exact combination of splitters and mergers, and....

....but now that I've got faster belts and upgraded storage containers, etc, etc, it seems like the much easier solution is to just pipe the output of, for example, every wire-producing machine, into one big storage container, and then put a splitter on the output that goes to everything. The splitter will correctly moderate the output frequencies, and the best part is that if a whole line stops (say, because you've filled up a container's worth of motors), the various components used elsewhere are still useful for applications.

Using it this way, the only penalty is that you'll have much wider swings in power consumption, but as long as you have a ridiculous excess of power, it's not a concern.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 1, 2019

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah I have been buffering everything into the Mk2 storage cans; for screws each can gets 2x Mk3 belts worth of screw production and so I can draw up to that much for supply feeds to further manufacturing. I also have three cans stacked up for screws, all of them with 90-100% draws, as opposed to 120 iron rods per minute supply with like a 90 draw, and 90 plates with I think not even 60.

I've got all of the intermediate products buffering likewise before they feed out to elsewhere. Right now I am missing only stators and engines, and the encased steel beam feed to reinforced frames is coming from my initial one-machine personal-use supply instead of a real installation.

Belts can be pretty frustrating; we need to be able to use the mouse wheel or something while building a belt to increase or decrease the number of conveyor stackers at the destination location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Is trains and track actually more efficient than just running conveyers across the world - like i'll play with them but in my current game I just have bidirectional conveyers going halfway across the map instead of trucks and it's pretty foolproof. You also get the bonus of being able to ride the the conveyers which is a lot of fun - I feel like endgame for this is as a great roller coaster simulator.