Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Google dropping support for things so casually makes me really interested to see how badly they gently caress up Stadia in a few years :allears:

That's certainly a thing Google's known for, but in this case it has to do with dropping support for Flash (for reasons that should be clear at this point) in favor of HTML5. If older devices don't have an app based on the latter, then understandably they would no longer be able to access Youtube. This one's not really on Google.

Ignis posted:

You could run Opera Mini on a PSP so that's still better off than the Vita stock browser imo

That's a good point, but modern smartphones have made a lot of what the PSP/Vita can do obsolete. Really the only thing I need the handhelds for is their native games, because phones make better mobile browsers and media players. Smartphone games on the other hand are generally poo poo compared to gameplay on a good handheld/console, largely because of the controls, but also because the experience is better without any freemium shenanigans or ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

freemium shenanigans and ads are exactly why I want to hack every console I have and make it a walled garden to enjoy forever

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

someday there will be a good mobage, but that day is not today.

Anyone else moving to switch eventually now that vita is done?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Alder posted:

someday there will be a good mobage, but that day is not today.

Anyone else moving to switch eventually now that vita is done?

I mean I have both.... :shrug:

The Vita is still totally usable, and it can do PS4 remote play if that's your thing (and you don't want to use a PC for the same purpose.) The Switch is really nice though; they definitely learned from the Wii U and developed a viable gaming tablet with functional peripherals. The Switch doesn't supercede the Vita, though. Keep in mind I use my consoles/handhelds for native content, not homebrew and other stuff I can just run on a PC (like, for example, the GPD WIN.)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Vita means life. :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT2fUHUW4zo

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Atomizer posted:

I mean I have both.... :shrug:

The Vita is still totally usable, and it can do PS4 remote play if that's your thing (and you don't want to use a PC for the same purpose.) The Switch is really nice though; they definitely learned from the Wii U and developed a viable gaming tablet with functional peripherals. The Switch doesn't supercede the Vita, though. Keep in mind I use my consoles/handhelds for native content, not homebrew and other stuff I can just run on a PC (like, for example, the GPD WIN.)
Mortal Kombat 11 is actually a perfect use case for remote play with all the AI Fighter stuff. I've been running tons of AI towers while doing other stuff on the computer or whatever.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

My vitas are all in great shape even though I've played one or the other daily since buying one launch day, the eternal ps1/psp/psv backlog just got fata morgana and will be getting SaGa here soon. Someday I'll buy a switch probably, but no rush. Maybe the New Switch XL Plus next year.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ll probably get a switch after they reveal whatever their new models are

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd get one in a heartbeat if I had the money.

Pity about the battery, true portables are dead.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I got mine for about $220 total a couple months ago; there was an Amazon Warehouse Deals 20% off thing so I used that and got a like-new Switch for like $100 off! :toot:

Games and accessories, on the other hand, have far exceeded the cost of the Switch itself.... :homebrew:

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Rinkles posted:

Pity about the battery, true portables are dead.

On the bright side nintendo finally found out how to have a standby mode like the psp had back in 2004, you can be away from power for a little while!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The vita's standby mode is powerful. I remember being able to leave it on standby for like 3 days and come back to it with most of the charge still there.
3DS wouldn't turn on after like a day or 2 in standby mode

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Sefal posted:

The vita's standby mode is powerful. I remember being able to leave it on standby for like 3 days and come back to it with most of the charge still there.
3DS wouldn't turn on after like a day or 2 in standby mode

Days? More like weeks! I left my Vita in a drawer for a month and forgot it was in standby, still had at least half the battery left.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I never trust the 3DS standby. Sometimes it seems to last for ages, other times I'll close the lid and come back the next day and it's asking for charge.
Vita one seems to last for ages.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
for some reason my Vita has desperately slow wifi and remote play barely works, which is a shame. downloading games is really annoying too!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's because the wifi chip is loving garbage, like every Sony console that's had one. It's nothing to do with your specific Vita.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Take it apart and check the wire, if it's not secure you'll have some trouble. I used to (and probably will again in a few weeks) do ffxiv raiding on my vita, download speeds are never going to be stellar but remote play on a wired ps4 should be fine.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

IIRC changing the dns server to 8.8.8.8 helps also. Also, disable HDCP on your ps4. (Will break spotify and such.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BisterdDave posted:

Days? More like weeks! I left my Vita in a drawer for a month and forgot it was in standby, still had at least half the battery left.

Mine did not do that. Usually lasted a week.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I had a most of my handheld gaming devices stolen from my car a few years ago.

I ultimately got some of them back, because the thief sold them for cash to Gamestop which meat he had to give a copy of his driver's license for security ( :v: ).

The items were held as evidence for like 9 months before I could get them from the cops, and my PSP had gone completely dead. My DS Lite still turned on however, and even had a green battery light!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I thought it was weird that when my local used game mom & pop would quarantine a recently bought used console for weeks before allowing it to be sold, but it glad to see that kind of policy actually works

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Annath posted:

I had a most of my handheld gaming devices stolen from my car a few years ago.

I ultimately got some of them back, because the thief sold them for cash to Gamestop which meat he had to give a copy of his driver's license for security ( :v: ).

The items were held as evidence for like 9 months before I could get them from the cops, and my PSP had gone completely dead. My DS Lite still turned on however, and even had a green battery light!

i haven't switched my ds lite on since maybe 2011? when i fired it up about a year ago, the top screen's pixels had gone mostly dead white, but the charge light was still green

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If I hack my vita, do I run a risk of getting my pan account banned or should I not link it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I just don't go online but iirc they really only ban for trophy fuckery and online cheating

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You have to link it and be online at least once, and i've never heard of anyone getting hit with a ban over it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Even after repeated connection issues when I didn't update the version spoofing value I haven't been banned. Still able to buy and download games without issue to this day.

Speaking of, FF4 complete is very tempting.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I got a Nyko Power Grip for the Vita-2000 and it seems pretty good, I just wish the one for the Vita-1000 was as readily available and inexpensive! :suicide:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I paid $30 for one for the 1000 that has R2L2R3L3 and no battery and it feels pretty flimsy

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 16, 2019

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Mine barely charges anymore and the grip texture chafed a bit, but it's still crazy confortable

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the go to grip for the vita 2000? I’ll mainly be doing PS4 remote play and moonlight pc streaming, so having a ds4 equivalent set of buttons would be nice. Like everyone I hate the touch back and the screen corner options for L and R 2 and 3

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the go to grip for the vita 2000? I’ll mainly be doing PS4 remote play and moonlight pc streaming, so having a ds4 equivalent set of buttons would be nice. Like everyone I hate the touch back and the screen corner options for L and R 2 and 3

Check places like AmiAmi and PlayAsia, there’s multiple options for button grips for a 2000 model.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Atomizer posted:

I got a Nyko Power Grip for the Vita-2000 and it seems pretty good, I just wish the one for the Vita-1000 was as readily available and inexpensive! :suicide:

How expensive could they be, I bought mine for like $40 back in the...

[Rich Evans voice] Oh my Gawd!!!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got the Hori one

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Vita-Re...=gateway&sr=8-9

It gives you triggers for the 4 quadrants of the back touchpad. It doesn’t connect through a port or anything, the triggers touch a membrane that then touch the pad, if that makes sense. Really good for PSX games. Also gives the Vita a little more ergonomics. i didn’t get it from amazon but I’m pretty sure I paid close to $50 for it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I didn’t realize the 1000 power grip was so expensive! I just charged mine up and it actually still works!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m a bad vita owner.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

waah posted:

How expensive could they be, I bought mine for like $40 back in the...

[Rich Evans voice] Oh my Gawd!!!

Yeah it's especially weird considering the -2000 ones are like $20. It's not a new system but it's not that old.

I did find that quite a bit of the PSP accessories I was looking for are rare and marked up, but that's more understandable considering it's going on 14 years old.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Found an OG Vita for $40 at the local goodwill. Now I have to play Golden. And P3P. What else is good?

It has some fairly deep scratches on the display. I've hit it with novus plastic polish and it helped a lot, is there a better solution or should I just go another couple rounds with it? Ordered a screen protector as well.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Since you seem focused on JRPGs I'm going to suggest Trails of Cold Steel. There are also a lot of good Atelier games available for the Vita. I'd suggest Atelier Ayesha because it's one of the better entries and doesn't have a modern console re-release.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
huge atlus and sega fan, but atelier has always looked waheyhey too cute for me. I should get over it and dive in, probably.

Trails looks great though. Any weird platinum-esque action games? Locoroco-esque oddities?

also why did I just buy undertale again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy crap, 4 years of PS+ will give you a ton of free vita games!! I was looking for a couple games to get digitally (I have a sd2vita, so no physical games) and I decided to check my download list.

13 pages later, I have 33 items in my Vita download queue. Amazing what happens when you ignore something for years.

I’ll hold off on new game purchases for a bit