Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

"I'm thinking of changing my residency to Maryland so I can get a Japanese license more easily. There's lower taxes too."

"How will you change residency without actually living in the US? You'll need a bank account or utility bill with your name on it."

"My aunt lives in Maryland."

"That sounds like more effort than just doing the Japanese driving test. And it's probably fraud."

"It's fraud? Oh. I'll have to research it a little more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

"That sounds like more effort than just doing the Japanese driving test.“

Nah. gently caress that test.

Back in Japan, after learning I most definitely want nothing to do with living in Dubai.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Decided after walking 30 miles since arriving Wednesday night that I didn't have it in me to spend over 3 hours getting to and from Saitama to stand in the rain for a match as a neutral.

Wandered through Nakano Broadway today for a few hours. Which was a definite change of pace after Shibuya yesterday. We encountered way more Goony types there. After enjoying a lovely lunch of rice triangles at the Lawson Natural in the hospital/police station there we returned to our hotel to avoid the rain, reboot, and figure out what to do with the rest of the trip.

Now it's a dubbed version of For Your Eyes Only and cheap booze before I crash.

harperdc posted:

Back in Japan, after learning I most definitely want nothing to do with living in Dubai.

My sister and brother-in-law did 2 years in Abu Dhabi and despite making 6 figures to teach, with a nice bonus if they renewed their contract, they couldn't get out fast enough.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

highme posted:

Now it's a dubbed version of For Your Eyes Only and cheap booze before I crash.

The 音声切換 button on the remote might let you switch the dubbing off.

highme
May 25, 2001

Thanks. It didn't do anything, but it's not like you need to understand dialogue to enjoy Roger Moore Bond. It might even make it better.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

"I'm thinking of changing my residency to Maryland so I can get a Japanese license more easily. There's lower taxes too."

What sad place is she from that has higher taxes than Maryland.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I don't even know man, I think this person is bad at life

highme
May 25, 2001

Encountered a Zengakarugen march today one our way to catch a train to Ginza from Roppongi. Aside from being communist/anarchists (according to 20 seconds Ruth Google) do they have concrete proposals?

highme
May 25, 2001

That was my first earthquake in a few years.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Bloodnose posted:

What sad place is she from that has higher taxes than Maryland.

Dingus should go for Washington state residency: easy-mode license conversion and no state income tax.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I haven't post in this thread or searched anything Japan in weeks. Yet I keep getting this advertisement.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Couldn't hurt to apply.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Depressed gamer who watches anime. Doesn't fit the profile at all?!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Funny that the starting salary is also the same as ending salary after a 30 year career.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You gotta figure in Hub points.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's really weird to me that they put a salary that would be a poverty wage almost anywhere in America right there on the ad as if it's attractive. What's the Japanese government's poverty line?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

full time visa sponsorship is around 230,000/month (before insurance, rent, utilities etc.)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

It's almost as though many people who want to come to Japan are more interested in the experience than money

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Also that’s a fairly common starting salary for Japanese new grads as well.

It’s basically now just people getting paid a normal salary as opposed to being overpaid before tbh

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

yeah ;___;

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Living in the inaka is also cheap as gently caress.

< 40000 JPY/mo for an apartment, utilities total 10000/mo for EVERYthing, etc.. well, this was 10 years ago, but 0% inflation, right?

Doesn't make the salary anywhere near good, but it's a lot easier to stretch.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Look at mr moneypants here paying 4 big ones for Inaka rent pshhh

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Anybody on the coast around Joetsu? 6.8 quake in the Sea of Japan and tsunami emergency warnings going crazy now from Ishikawa up to Yamagata.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

harperdc posted:

Anybody on the coast around Joetsu?

Not anymore.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Also that’s a fairly common starting salary for Japanese new grads as well.

It’s basically now just people getting paid a normal salary as opposed to being overpaid before tbh

$23,000 a year is terrible though. That averages out to $11 per hour which...yeah that's not too uncommon for American new grads either.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The most valuable part is that it's someone to give you a visa so you can maybe find a better job.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

$23,000 a year is terrible though. That averages out to $11 per hour which...yeah that's not too uncommon for American new grads either.

Keep in mind though that for all that’s not good money: all you really need is a pulse and a degree, cost of living can be quite cheap, depending on how Inaka you are your transport fees are liable to be quite low, you’ll have cheap healthcare and insurance scaled to your salary and won’t become poor forever because you had to go to the ER once, etc.

I’d definitely prefer living on 23k USD a year (and indeed lived on less, and in, Tokyo when I was a student), than the equivalent in the US.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is kind of nutty how both Japan and Korea haven't raised the starting wage for those jobs in forever. My school in China would try to pay something similar and interviewees would literally laugh in their face and just bounce. They had to raise the wage almost 50% to get new teachers. And the cost of living in China is way lower.

Of course, you have to live in China, so.

But yeah the low wage in Asia isn't nearly as bad. I was always at the edge but that was because I had to send half my money home for student loan payments, without that it would've been more than enough.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Everything I hear about living in China is bad.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

China is bad. Which is unfortunate since it has by far the best job opportunities for teachers in Asia. If you're just some rando English teacher in Korea or Japan your only chance for career advancement is to get out of teaching, whereas in China there's not the same sort of racial glass ceiling. I was a real teacher there, and if I wanted to live in China/other poo poo hadn't interfered I'd have taken the offer to be on the training track to becoming the international program principal at one of the top ranked schools in the entire country. If you want to do something like that elsewhere in East Asia you have to start your own private school. And if you just want to stay in straight up teaching, if you have some experience it's not super hard to get paid three times or more what you can get in Korea or Japan.

Japan at least your visa isn't owned by your employer so you can split and start your own thing without having to struggle to stay in the country.

Market saturation is a thing too. I don't know about Japan but in Korea there are like ten applicants for each position because of koreaboos. I presume Japan has a similar weeb problem. China still has a huge teacher shortage so wages are constantly rising.

E: Also the working conditions in China aren't bad at all. I got to travel extensively with my two to three months a year of paid vacation. It was real hard to motivate myself to look for Japanese jobs when I thought about the idea that I'd be moving to a more expensive country that pays less for so much more work. Gotta get that paper for international schools before I escape the US again.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 18, 2019

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

it's all about ya mindset, son

my wife is from a smaller town in Japan in a little farming community, and my last year and a half in china I was actually in a ghost city/super rural area, and it was actually quite enjoyable, the day to day living at least. the food was good. the work was enjoyable. but I'm a simpleton and a moron so what do I know

I mean Japan was objectively better in every single way imaginable outside of the food and the pay, but it still wasn't too terrible when I was in china.

I wouldn't want to live in beijing or Shanghai or chengdu or Shenzhen or any a big city like that again. I'd go back to tianjin for a brief spell if the money was good or if I had work there but don't know if I would live there again. my wife said she'd love to move back someday but I'm kinda hoping that part of our life is behind us, I guess we'll see

e: fun fact: The Washington Post actually wrote a story on the ghost town I lived in, back in 2015, lol

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 18, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Also the working conditions in China aren't bad at all. I got to travel extensively with my two to three months a year of paid vacation. It was real hard to motivate myself to look for Japanese jobs when I thought about the idea that I'd be moving to a more expensive country that pays less for so much more work. Gotta get that paper for international schools before I escape the US again.

What paper is that by the way? Is there some specific license in the US for teaching in international schools?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

as a weeaboo, I don't understand why anyone would be a koreaboo. am I racist?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I don't understand why anyone would be either, so probably.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

d0s posted:

the people of japan thank you for your valiant service, and look forward to sending you to reclaim takeshima from the korean aggressors

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

d0s posted:

nah just old. K-pop is strong with the youth.

Shibawanko posted:

What paper is that by the way? Is there some specific license in the US for teaching in international schools?

No but considering most JETs/ALTs just have a university bachelor's and a pulse, they're missing the next steps -- teaching licenses / teaching masters degrees / both -- to get into international schools or, lol, local Japanese schools. That's the real gap between being a broke ALT and making a career IMO.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Teaching is a skill that ALTs generally don't have and don't really need to develop (esid).

It's a big step up to go from ALT to real bonified teacher.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

You have to be a fully certified and licensed teacher in your home country at the least. A master's is preferable if you want to compete for the jobs in popular places like Japan. You can get English jobs in Japan/Korea with just a bachelor's, a passport from one of the approved official English Speaking Countries, and being white, plus China has a lot of options like fake international schools and stuff. I was a history/science teacher at a semi-fake international school so my history degree was all I needed.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don’t think you should live or be fit to live in Asia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

harperdc posted:

Anybody on the coast around Joetsu? 6.8 quake in the Sea of Japan and tsunami emergency warnings going crazy now from Ishikawa up to Yamagata.

Yup I am, but everything seems fine except for Murakami city up north which is waiting out aftershocks and worrying about landslides because of today's heavy rain.