Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sleeveless posted:

The newest RPG Maker has a feature where you can just import artwork and automatically use it as level geometry or monster sprites instead of having to go to the trouble to make sprite sheets seperately and place everything manually, it's a godsend if you're someone who is better at art than coding and as anyone who spent countless afternoons making tilesets will tell you is incredibly convenient. Like as much as indie game devs bitch about the fact that you can't just make a game and put it on Steam and become successful overnight like you used to and you have to actually be interesting and unique and good instead of just existing because of how crowded the market is now the fact is that making a game is no longer the impenetrable mess it was even a few years ago is a net good for anyone interested in it as a hobby rather than an alternative to employment.

congrats on having the worst take in a thread full of awful takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's actually easily their best take in this thread

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What's wrong with it?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think the take that that's the worst take is the actual new worst take. new grand prize winner

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The biggest issue using rmmv is that the engine has all its source exposed and is perfectly editable, but the official rpg maker editor is totally closed up. Which is why people build their own map editors from scratch (like the tileD one), or just go insane and build a map editor inside the engine itself, and map the game during playtesting

https://youtu.be/-eq97rmuDwU?t=105

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

So now that Game Maker is basically inevitably going to become For Corporate Attitude, is Unity now the closest thing you'll get to a way to start game deving as a complete beginner? Or would it still be GM and gently caress you, give us money.

I'm personally of the opinion that you should start your game dev journey using whatever stolen and free materials you can scrape together, because your first several games are gonna be total dogshit that you shouldn't waste time or real people money on; there's a process and rhythm to putting games together that's almost completely engine-independent that you need to learn first.

Once you've got some bad games under your belt, you should know which direction to turn to next.

But Unity is a pretty decent option.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gologle posted:

So now that Game Maker is basically inevitably going to become For Corporate Attitude, is Unity now the closest thing you'll get to a way to start game deving as a complete beginner? Or would it still be GM and gently caress you, give us money.

Multimedia Fusion 3 looked decent but afaik it's still in development hell after being ~2 years over it's originally estimated release date

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
jump in on the deep end, gently caress it. figure out whatever it is you need to get a starter environment to compile in your chosen engine, open up a documentation database when you get stuck or need some help like "wtf does this call do" and just run with it. you're just eating an elephant, chisel away at it piece by piece until it's finished. it can get really complex and some days it will feel like you've bitten off more than you can chew, but as long as you don't keep adding poo poo to the scope then it's a finite puzzle. the end will always present itself some day.

i believe in you man

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m trying to figure out the visual scripting extension I got in the Unity asset store and I’ve spent at least 4 hours trying to get a penguin to shoot a fireball from is mouth without it spazzing out and floating around the screen. This is what True Gamedev is like

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
programming is some sort of arcane wizardry and I am immensely skeptical of anyone who understands it at all. ya'all clearly witches or something.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

programming is easy it's just used to make monstrously complex systems and the interplay between each little 'hmm this makes sense on its own' bits causes ceaseless barkleying

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

programming isn't too bad in and of itself, but the abstractions and patterns you need to get your own disparate code, someone else's code, and a bunch of libraries that are likely black boxes to you working harmoniously together can really run away from you

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
My advice to learn game dev for your first time in an engine like game maker, unity etc, is to find tutorials, follow them, and when they're done, make your own first game based on the tutorial's result, using the tutorial game as a skeleton for your own.

Those tutorials often come with a pre-made example game for you to build and detailed instructions on making it, and if the tutorial is well made, it will explain the steps well enough that you basically understand what's going on. Just follow the tutorial to start.
This wont be enough experience that you can easily start making your own game from scratch, you wont be familiar enough with the toolset to understand all of what's available to you, and will misunderstand much about how things work, but this is why modifying and adding to that game afterwards is an easier path into learning all of this.

When you are done, start modifying the game. Start with small tweaks, like adding some extra enemies, modifying existing content, extending the game with more levels or areas, changing how the player character behaves, etc. Those tutorial games are well suited to be playgrounds for experimentation; they are simple, stripped-down, and well documented. It provides you with plenty of examples of how things can work for you to copy over and modify.

Eventually just look for another tutorial of a different game genre, and do this again. You can end up trying things you remember from a previous tutorial with this new one when you modify it later. As you repeat this process you will start to understand how things work more and more, and eventually your customizations will get more elaborate.

FrankieSmileShow fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 15, 2019

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

jump in on the deep end, gently caress it. figure out whatever it is you need to get a starter environment to compile in your chosen engine, open up a documentation database when you get stuck or need some help like "wtf does this call do" and just run with it. you're just eating an elephant, chisel away at it piece by piece until it's finished. it can get really complex and some days it will feel like you've bitten off more than you can chew, but as long as you don't keep adding poo poo to the scope then it's a finite puzzle. the end will always present itself some day.

i believe in you man
When hyenas eat a downed elephant, they start with the butthole. Is this useful information pertaining to your metaphor? Maybe, I don’t know. I’m not a programmer.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

FrankieSmileShow posted:

My advice to learn game dev for your first time in an engine like game maker, unity etc, is to find tutorials, follow them, and when they're done, make your own first game based on the tutorial's result, using the tutorial game as a skeleton for your own.

Those tutorials often come with a pre-made example game for you to build and detailed instructions on making it, and if the tutorial is well made, it will explain the steps well enough that you basically understand what's going on. Just follow the tutorial to start.
This wont be enough experience that you can easily start making your own game from scratch, you wont be familiar enough with the toolset to understand all of what's available to you, and will misunderstand much about how things work, but this is why modifying and adding to that game afterwards is an easier path into learning all of this.

When you are done, start modifying the game. Start with small tweaks, like adding some extra enemies, modifying existing content, extending the game with more levels or areas, changing how the player character behaves, etc. Those tutorial games are well suited to be playgrounds for experimentation; they are simple, stripped-down, and well documented. It provides you with plenty of examples of how things can work for you to copy over and modify.

Eventually just look for another tutorial of a different game genre, and do this again. You can end up trying things you remember from a previous tutorial with this new one when you modify it later. As you repeat this process you will start to understand how things work more and more, and eventually your customizations will get more elaborate.

As a hobbyist designer of audio software, this is exactly how I started. That is extremely good advice for everyone here.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

knowing a little bit of abstract math i.e. state machines, graph theory is really useful and can save a lot of headaches but isn't necessary at all (and a lot of the concepts are intuitive enough to learn through immersion)

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Had Barkley2 gone for the jrpg sort of battling like B1 did, it would've been done years ago. This is my theory, I hope you liked it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gortarius posted:

Had Barkley2 gone for the jrpg sort of battling like B1 did, it would've been done years ago. This is my theory, I hope you liked it.

I would have been so down for that

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gortarius posted:

I like your theory, and agree with it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gortarius posted:

or the bball tactics.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Brlarley

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Gortarius posted:

Did you guys check out Nuclear Throne/Gungeon and consider simplifying combat to be more like those or were things like zaubers a must have?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think simplification is anathema to Barkley 2

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Tunicate posted:

I think simplification is anathema to Barkley 2

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I had always just assumed that dungeons and combat in B2 would be on the level of Enter the Gungeon, with maybe one or two equippable Zaubers replacing the blank. I figured that all the breeding mechanics and extra systems were just broken and absurdly complex as a joke. When Gungeon came out, I recall thinking that the B2 devs must’ve been crestfallen that someone beat them to the punch.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Cuntellectual posted:

Did you guys check out Nuclear Throne/Gungeon and consider simplifying combat to be more like those or were things like zaubers a must have?

It's funny that both of those are pure action games, with almost nothing to them besides combat. Barkley, a game that is supposed to be an ARPG still feels the needs to have combat systems be an order of magnitude more complex.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
From what devs have posted in the thread, it seems like having enemies on the overworld make you transition to a closed battle map would have helped with the "player can just walk away" problem the combat had. Wouldn't solve everything, but there's a reason Gungeon locks you in to each room.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That or making the enemies a much bigger threat. But that's much more difficult to accomplish without overdoing it. Probably the best solution would have been a mix of open areas and focused, chokepointed battle areas.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Uwaa

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It is funny how, back in 2013 or whenever the kickstarter was, people considered a hundred grand some huge astonishing amount of money for a team of indie devs and apparently nobody did the calculations that it's basically a fairly basic wage for five guys for only a single year.

God drat I'm glad the abortive indie team I was part of back then (the one where two devs hosed another devs girlfriend then the two devs had a falling out with each other for betraying each other by loving the other guys gf. meanwhile I'm sleeping on a pile of laundry in the attic and dreaming of moving in w my gf in Scotland which happily did come to pass) never made a kickstarter.

I was really into reading kickstarters and planning how to make the best pitch but then realised we'd need a gently caress of a lot of money and thankfully convinced the insane head dev (by default the leader cause he was the most insane and pig headed) we should actually have a game on the way to being made before then.

Only one of the devs had success, ironically it was the Slovakian economic immigrant who found success by moving back home and now works on AAA Eastern European games. Real nice guy. So are the two GF fuckers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hentai Jihadist posted:

It is funny how, back in 2013 or whenever the kickstarter was, people considered a hundred grand some huge astonishing amount of money for a team of indie devs and apparently nobody did the calculations that it's basically a fairly basic wage for five guys for only a single year.

their ask was pretty low which was a mistake a lot of early kickstarters made.

i'm still mad gamers gave shenmue 3 - a game that not only had publisher backing but is going to be terrible (the original games are novelties and don't hold up) - 5 million.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm still mad gamers gave shenmue 3 - a game that not only had publisher backing but is going to be terrible (the original games are novelties and don't hold up) - 5 million.

Shenmue 1 and 2 are proto-Yakuza, so if 3 takes some lessons from how those games advanced the formula, it might actually be really good :shrug:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Just based on the small amount of footage we've seen so far I really doubt shenmue 3 will be anywhere near as good as yakuza games

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I enjoy shenmue games for their extraordinarily bad acting.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Shenmue 1 and 2 are proto-Yakuza, so if 3 takes some lessons from how those games advanced the formula, it might actually be really good :shrug:

I made this point in the shenmue thread and someone told me shenmue and yakuza are as similar as doom 2016 and gone home. My point is, 2019 shenmue fans are an oof, and I'm saying this in the 2019 barkey fans thread

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What's the percentage of voice acted dialogue in Barkley 2?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

I made this point in the shenmue thread and someone told me shenmue and yakuza are as similar as doom 2016 and gone home. My point is, 2019 shenmue fans are an oof, and I'm saying this in the 2019 barkey fans thread

how... deeply were they drawing that analogy

were they saying yakuza is sleepy and boring compared to shenmue, a game with an enforced protracted forklifting section that controls worse than most actual forklifts i've used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Shenmue and Yakuza are literally nothing alike. One is action game, the other is a chill adventure game.