Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

How far have they gotten with uploading old observers? I was thinking about subbing for a month to grab a bunch

i believe it's complete from 1991-2001, then spotty in the mid 00s, and complete from like, mid '08 onward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
The back issue uploads go up to the death of Davey Boy Smith so I think that’s spring of 02 or so?

Reading oooooold observers is loving fascinating and I wish I could look at more issues from the mid-late 80s.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

How far have they gotten with uploading old observers? I was thinking about subbing for a month to grab a bunch

June 2002

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

true but Dave said he had numbers from metro areas that he was using to compare

also I really hope that data was anonymized. not exactly sure why Dave has access to lists of PPVs that specific people bought

He said in the newsletter that the names are all blacked out

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wasn't expecting Dave to go on a Tiger Mask manga aside but that's the kinda of thing I love from Dave, including him blanking on the name of the Justice League and almost calling them the Legion (of Super Heroes)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

My favorite weird factoid in the observer is how Nitro was originally titled WCW Head To Head until the final 2 weeks leading up to the first one. Glad they went with the second name.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
reminder that there are actual adults that sincerely believe Dave Meltzer is on AEW's payroll in an insidious plot to take down WWE

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
those same people also believe that WWE secretly owns AEW

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Someone tweeted dave yesterday about vince buying all the aew all out tickets to disrupt them in some way.

Twitter is a wonderful look into how people tick.

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable
They're just #AskingQuestions

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Low Desert Punk posted:

reminder that there are actual adults that sincerely believe Dave Meltzer is on AEW's payroll in an insidious plot to take down WWE

Reminder that Dave would be perfectly fine with advising WWE in any capacity if anyone would be willing to listen.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

The Croc posted:

Someone tweeted dave yesterday about vince buying all the aew all out tickets to disrupt them in some way.

Twitter is a wonderful look into how people tick.

Vince can't remember what happened on his own shows last week, how do people still think he's this fifth-dimensional chess genius secretly pulling the strings :psyduck:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Well if you're so busy putting together a computational cloud devoted solely to mining ticket purchases small stuff like a TV show every monday isn't that high of a priority. Vince McMahon is now a silicon valley genius.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

coconono posted:

Well if you're so busy putting together a computational cloud devoted solely to mining ticket purchases small stuff like a TV show every monday isn't that high of a priority. Vince McMahon is now a silicon valley genius.

rumour has it he will be burning those tickets on raw.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
drat it's a dick move of him to give a bunch of money to aew to stop them from

Making money

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

drat it's a dick move of him to give a bunch of money to aew to stop them from

Making money

now wait for it. This is all a plot to hyperinflate AEW's value so it'll crash grandly when it can't meet everyone's lofty expectations. Then Vince will buy up cheap and punish all the talent like he did the ECW/WCW guys.

Because wrestling is slavery or something. Actually independent contracting in niche markets is pretty much slavery but no one says that part loud.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vince gonna make the AEW guys play in the New XFL

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Vince gonna make the AEW guys play in the New XFL

Legit disappointed that Tony Khan didn't buy the AAF when they went under with the intention of relaunching the league to compete with the XFL, I want the Monday Night Football Wars.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Love hearing Dave talk football. I wish he would do a football podcast, just Dave-ing through every week's matchups

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

Reminder that Dave would be perfectly fine with advising WWE in any capacity if anyone would be willing to listen.

Didn’t he do this for like a year or two in the late 80s or something?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Benne posted:

Vince can't remember what happened on his own shows last week, how do people still think he's this fifth-dimensional chess genius secretly pulling the strings :psyduck:

But hey he made a lot of money and he outsmarted all the other brilliant wrestling promoters

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

That's not a high bar.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mulaney Power Move posted:

But hey he made a lot of money and he outsmarted all the other brilliant wrestling promoters

The other what?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

vince lucked into three of the biggest stars in pro wrestling history, had a good TV deal, with his competitor company putting on an almost unwatchable show every week and burning money, and he STILL almost lost

he's a hack and he always has been

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Low Desert Punk posted:

Love hearing Dave talk football. I wish he would do a football podcast, just Dave-ing through every week's matchups

Would be a perfect excuse to finally have a Dave and Vinny Show.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Didn’t he do this for like a year or two in the late 80s or something?

He did and has written about it on occasion. IIRC it was just to apprise them of general happenings in Japan.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Would be a perfect excuse to finally have a Dave and Vinny Show.

god I would love this

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

vince lucked into three of the biggest stars in pro wrestling history, had a good TV deal, with his competitor company putting on an almost unwatchable show every week and burning money, and he STILL almost lost

he's a hack and he always has been

i was referring to his initial rise where his brilliant strategy was to have piles of cash and he bought out talent and tv from every other promotion. the best his rivals could come up with was "well why don't we just kill him." (source Jim Ross)

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i was referring to his initial rise where his brilliant strategy was to have piles of cash and he bought out talent and tv from every other promotion. the best his rivals could come up with was "well why don't we just kill him." (source Jim Ross)

i know, just speaking in general

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coconono posted:

now wait for it. This is all a plot to hyperinflate AEW's value so it'll crash grandly when it can't meet everyone's lofty expectations. Then Vince will buy up cheap and punish all the talent like he did the ECW/WCW guys.

Because wrestling is slavery or something. Actually independent contracting in niche markets is pretty much slavery but no one says that part loud.

I mean he was allegedly funding ecw

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean he was allegedly funding ecw

He did give them money and exposure at one point

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
isn’t that stuff overblown? And besides when Heyman had the brilliant idea to put the belt on Tazz when he was signed with the fed Vince had him get squashed on house shows and on TV before he could drop the belt back in ECW, so he obviously saw them as competition on a level.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

afatwhiteloaf posted:

isn’t that stuff overblown? And besides when Heyman had the brilliant idea to put the belt on Tazz when he was signed with the fed Vince had him get squashed on house shows and on TV before he could drop the belt back in ECW, so he obviously saw them as competition on a level.

Yes, Vince was giving Heyman very little money and towards the end it was just a strategic move to make it easier to buy what remained of the company when it went down. (Although that took awhile.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

if a Dave and Vinny show ever happened i can't imagine Vinny getting in more than 6 words

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Just posted our Dominion review. Have to figure out how to improve Scott's microphone set up for future remote recordings. Once the G1 blocks are released I'm thinking about doing a fun pick em game if folks want to join. Winner gets a Rush mask from Mexico.

https://rudospodcast.co/episode-2-dominion-review/

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

When I saw that on the frontpage this morning I thought X-Pac died.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/FO_VVerhei/status/1140171626224316416

:psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lance Storm's bewildered, gleeful disbelief at Firefly Funhouse getting away with running storylines that mock WWE was a joy to listen to :allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hahah oh my

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pretty sure Steve still killed the guy tho