Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Helsing posted:

This article seems more concerned with selling ... than it does on actually providing any useful new information
Welcome to journalism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Welcome to journalism!

I preferred the tragedy to the farce.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Helsing posted:

I preferred the tragedy to the farce.
Oh don't worry, the tragedy is definitely coming.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.voanews.com/south-central-asia/taliban-us-welcome-release-insurgent-prisoners-kabul

quote:

ISLAMABAD - The government in Afghanistan has unilaterally initiated a process of releasing hundreds of Taliban prisoners, a move being hailed both by the insurgent group and the United States amid a renewed push for finding a political settlement to the deadly Afghan war.

Last week, President Ashraf Ghani had ordered nearly 900 prisoners to be freed within the next two months in a goodwill gesture. Officials asserted that most of the detainees are Taliban fighters and dozens of them have since been set free.

No official figures were immediately available, but Afghan media reported authorities would have released around 300 prisoners by the end of Tuesday.

I get the feeling releasing 900 Taliban fighters is going to backfire hard on the Afghan government.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OhFunny posted:

https://www.voanews.com/south-central-asia/taliban-us-welcome-release-insurgent-prisoners-kabul

I get the feeling releasing 900 Taliban fighters is going to backfire hard on the Afghan government.

Could also create a new faction in taliban hierarchy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OhFunny posted:

I mean yeah, but their hope is to do a ceasefire

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean yeah, but their hope is to do a ceasefire

A ceasefire with the americans. Crasefire happens americans all leave taliban strangulates government to death either way

Trump rides off in the mission accomplished g6

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

OhFunny posted:

You'd have to be pretty credulous to take the Afghan government at face value when it claims all 900 of those people were actual Taliban fighters.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Its government is ostensibly headed by dudes taking their instructions from an imaginary friend.

Speaking of Reddit Atheists Hottakes on religions, there's something in the Bible about beams and motes. The USA are the worst country in the world to criticize other countries for being led by religious nutters.

Unimpressed posted:

Except America has repeatedly stated it's express desire to destroy Iran. Bush Jr, when he was president said it on many occasions.

FIFY

Fallen Hamprince posted:

When Iranian hardliners state that they believe that America and Israel are forces of evil that ought to be destroyed, you can safely take them at their word.

They are also 100% accurate on this point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The idea of Iran having a burning desire to destroy the Great Satan, literally and physically, is completely at odds with them being perfectly OK to work and trade with Europe. Unless you believe that they are all super committed to some nuanced, obscure ideology that justifies how one country is bad while an identical different country is good (especially when the good countries are actually those that radicalized the original generation of islamist revolutionaries of 1979 in the first place by being the main agents of imperialism in iran)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

The idea of Iran having a burning desire to destroy the Great Satan, literally and physically, is completely at odds with them being perfectly OK to work and trade with Europe. Unless you believe that they are all super committed to some nuanced, obscure ideology that justifies how one country is bad while an identical different country is good (especially when the good countries are actually those that radicalized the original generation of islamist revolutionaries of 1979 in the first place by being the main agents of imperialism in iran)

The regime hates all Western governments, they're just between a rock and a hard place because the majority of Iranian civilians do not. They give up concessions to their people while sabotaging the process and explaining all along the way that these sorts of deals were not in Iran's best interest to begin with. They've been trying to foment a new wave of hatred for the West so they can entrench their position as the defenders of the values of the revolution. That is their position on Europe as well. Ironically, they suffer from the same level of internal distrust among their people that western governments do, so people tend to believe the opposite.

http://english.khamenei.ir/news/6456/Why-are-European-governments-not-reliable-Imam-Khamenei-elaborates

Cat Mattress posted:

They are also 100% accurate on this point.

Well it comes with a heavy dose of anti-semitism and holocaust denial so nah.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They are not the ones sabotaging poo poo, my bud.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

They are not the ones sabotaging poo poo, my bud.

It's not black and white, bud.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

(especially when the good countries are actually those that radicalized the original generation of islamist revolutionaries of 1979 in the first place by being the main agents of imperialism in iran)

You mean the UK, the UK and Russia, and the UK and the USA?

Iranians are pragmatic enough to see that the UK today is but a shadow of its former self, Russia likewise, while the USA are still being the worst. As far as western Europe is concerned, Iran doesn't have strong personal reasons to have historical beefs with Germany, France, Italy, Spain or the others.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

guidoanselmi posted:

Brown Moses, if you want to be honest, you should disclose that the US Navy has a track record of fabricating audio/video footage RE: Iran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLEPO42QY8U

https://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/degrees-of-confidence-on-us-iran-naval-incident/

Brown Moses, I sincerely want to know why you don't think America's track record of fabricating intelligence is not worth discussing in your analysis of said intelligence.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The problem with "Oh, don't look at their material policy, they actually hate us and are waiting for an opportunity to strike" is that it can be used to fuel xenophobia against ANYBODY. China? They hate the wast, they are just playing along because they benefit momentarily. We need to keep them down before they grow over our heads.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Volkerball sniffs his own farts.

Volkerball posted:

The regime hates all Western governments, they're just between a rock and a hard place because the majority of Iranian civilians do not.

This was never explicitly the case, dummy. It was always a matter of anti-imperialism from the time of Shariati.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

You mean the UK, the UK and Russia, and the UK and the USA?

Iranians are pragmatic enough to see that the UK today is but a shadow of its former self, Russia likewise, while the USA are still being the worst. As far as western Europe is concerned, Iran doesn't have strong personal reasons to have historical beefs with Germany, France, Italy, Spain or the others.

I meant UK mostly, yes.

France was friendly with the Pahlavi family. Many of the revolutionaries lived in France for a long time. I don't really know about Germany.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

guidoanselmi posted:

This was never explicitly the case, dummy. It was always a matter of anti-imperialism from the time of Shariati.

And if there's no one to be anti-imperialist against, what is the necessity for the clerical establishment to have a death grip on power in Iran?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There is nobody to be antiimperialist against, I say as American troops are tying a noose around Iran and the rsults of American imperialism are still burning bright all over the region

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Antiimperialist President Donald J. Trump: "We have unilaterally decided to place 100000 soldiers into bases around Iran"
I, a smart poster: "Thank god imperialism has been cancelled, or this could be seen as a really bad look"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

There is nobody to be antiimperialist against, I say as American troops are tying a noose around Iran and the rsults of American imperialism are still burning bright all over the region

That's not what I said at all. Simply that they weren't interested in rapprochement with the US or with Europe. But if you're going to be consistent on anti-imperialism, there's an awful lot of Iranian troops in Syria and Iraq.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, heran is acting like a standard regional power, another reason not to see them as an Oriental inscrutable monster country.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Helsing posted:

You'd have to be pretty credulous to take the Afghan government at face value when it claims all 900 of those people were actual Taliban fighters.

Depends how insistent the Taliban was. The Afghan government isn't exactly bargaining from a position of strength.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, heran is acting like a standard regional power, another reason not to see them as an Oriental inscrutable monster country.

Imperialism is fine so long as you say death the america while you do it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

guidoanselmi posted:

Brown Moses, I sincerely want to know why you don't think America's track record of fabricating intelligence is not worth discussing in your analysis of said intelligence.

You need a twitter if you're going to continue to yell at cowards who won't debate you

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

I probably should have said 'relatively homogenous'

Iran is like 75% Persian Shia, it's going to be a lot harder for the Americans to exploit ethnic and religious divides than it was in Iraq. There are almost twice as many Persians in Iran as there was total Iraqis of all religions and ethnic groups

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

Depends how insistent the Taliban was. The Afghan government isn't exactly bargaining from a position of strength.

I don't see any particular reason to believe that people arrested by Afghan police or US soldiers would actually be Taliban fighters just because the Afghan government says they are. It would also help explain why the government is so eager to get rid of them since I'm sure the Afghan government knows better than most that its own police, not to mention American soldiers, are not particularly reliable when it comes to correctly identifying Taliban insurgents.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It wouldn't be the first time a ME government tried an amnesty as a means of giving the militants an incentive to surrender. Turkey's been trying it on and off with the PKK for decades (but that case is also an argument for "it doesn't work")

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
BM if a government releases a war mongering incredibly suspect piece of footage with nearly zero context that just smells suspicious in 25 different ways, the proper place in your NYT editorial to put your half-hearted critique "it's not slam dunk evidence" of it is
A) First paragraph
B) Don't even mention it
C) Bury it two paragraphs from the end which literally 1% of people who see the article will read through that bad writing to get to
D) At the end
E) Hammer how loving suspect it looks start to finish and also consult gcaptain for your petroleum industry shipping forum needs jfc

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Volkerball posted:

That's not what I said at all. Simply that they weren't interested in rapprochement with the US or with Europe.

It's the US who backed out of a treaty, not Iran.

It's also the US that currently isn't interested in a rapprochement with Europe, but that's a topic for another thread.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Volkerball posted:

That's not what I said at all. Simply that they weren't interested in rapprochement with the US or with Europe. But if you're going to be consistent on anti-imperialism, there's an awful lot of Iranian troops in Syria and Iraq.

if only you could have stopped Iran from tearing up that agreement, eh, Mr. Bolton

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

BM if a government releases a war mongering incredibly suspect piece of footage with nearly zero context that just smells suspicious in 25 different ways, the proper place in your NYT editorial to put your half-hearted critique "it's not slam dunk evidence" of it is
A) First paragraph
B) Don't even mention it
C) Bury it two paragraphs from the end which literally 1% of people who see the article will read through that bad writing to get to
D) At the end
E) Hammer how loving suspect it looks start to finish and also consult gcaptain for your petroleum industry shipping forum needs jfc

Frankly I don't give a poo poo about the opinions of people who can't work their way through a 1000 word articles before getting mad about what they imagine the conclusion might be.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Frankly I don't give a poo poo about the opinions of people who can't work their way through a 1000 word articles before getting mad about what they imagine the conclusion might be.
Reading is counterrevolutionary.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah but like 700 words of that article is about googling stuff. You have a duty, dude

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brown Moses posted:

Frankly I can't give a poo poo about the opinion of a man who writes a 1000 word article about how he used google to "verify" information, only to end up not proving anything one way or another and surrendering his prerogative as a journalist to hold the government accountable.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Frankly I can't give a poo poo about the opinion of a man who writes a 1000 word article about how he used google to "verify" information, only to end up not proving anyhing one way or another.

He verified that there are two ships out there with some amount of damage to them and literally nothing beyond that.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

He verified that there are two ships out there with some amount of damage to them and literally nothing beyond that.

i respect that someone from these forums is now on the "please buy my product to support the war effort" grift though

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Truly "open source forensics" is the way of the future and not made up bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

democracy dies in the darkness