Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

advanced statsman posted:

yo what are your top picks for copa america? like, most teams don't look great this time around don't they?

I don't think there will be a good South American team for a couple of decades. Every halfway decent player from Brazil or Argentina ends up on some clown league like mls or China by age 20. Brazil are probably favorites, but are miles away from any decent European team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
It feels like it was only some 5 years ago that South American teams had somehow recovered their status as powerhouses. Is it just corruption destroying all of that? Lack of money and decaying national leagues?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
There are so many hosed up things about the sport in South America that I don't think just one thing can be blamed. Conmebol is poo poo, the domestic leagues are poo poo, the agents are poo poo, the training at youth level is poo poo, the people in control of the clubs are poo poo. It's also what makes it so electric sometimes, though. Like libertadores is loving great sometimes and that's because conmebol doesn't even remotely have its poo poo together. There's way more excitement in Brasileiro because the clubs don't have that deeply ingrained stability or financial clout that European clubs have.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

advanced statsman posted:

It feels like it was only some 5 years ago that South American teams had somehow recovered their status as powerhouses. Is it just corruption destroying all of that? Lack of money and decaying national leagues?

2014 South American teams overperformed a bit by playing in their home continent, and Messi was at his peak. But even then things were on the downswing. Right now, essentially anyone under 23 who has any potential will be sold as soon as possible. Most of the time, to some bad league with lots of money and no real competition, like China, the Ukraine, Qatar, etc. Sure, the ones that really stand out end up in Real Madrid, like Vinicius Jr, but the bulk of the "solid with potential" players spend their careers bouncing around mediocre leagues trying to make a quick buck.

Here's the list of the most expensive recent transfers out of Argentina:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/prime...e=&w_s=&zuab=ab

Same deal for Brazil:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/campe...e=&w_s=&zuab=ab

MLS, China, UAE, etc gets all the old has beens from Europe, but also a lot of young promising players from SA.

Then there's the ripple effect. No team in South America stays together for long. Which means that no coach in South America ever has a chance to develop as a coach, no player has to adapt or learn tactical discipline, etc.

It's hard to imagine now, but the 2002 Brazilian team had the majority of its players playing in the Brazilian league. That will likely never happen again.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 12, 2019

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's true the domestic leagues sell the poo poo out of anyone who can fetch a dollar as soon as they can get it, but I also think the talent pool has shrunk a bit in recent years. 2014 Brazil had a lot of star power with players who had key roles at Champions League caliber teams, but really the only up and comers I can think of in the group were Neymar and Oscar. A would be star in Pato flamed out, and the other younger guys like Bernard didn't have that kind of talent. Great South American players still end up great regardless of how much or how little time they spend in the domestic leagues. They'll still end up competing at the Champions League, even if they make a detour to a second rate team due to getting transferred when they are still children, like what happened to Malcom. There just has seemed to be less guys coming up with that kind of talent, or perhaps it just seems that way because squads like Germany have Champions League talent all up and down their roster these days. IDK, hopefully it'll turn around and the SA teams get more competitive. FIFA is funnest when all the South American players playing in Europe get to come back and give a big gently caress you to the status quo of football revolving around Europe.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Maybe Bernard was never going to amount to much, but he certainly would have turned out better than he did if he had spent his formative years playing against top talent night in and night out. Maybe ezequiel barco will achieve his full potential. Or maybe he'll get used to clowning on semi pro mls defenders.

It's not some massive coincidence that the talent produced in South America drops dramatically once teams start selling off everyone at 16. Not to mention that this isn't just about competition on the field, but professionalism, dedication, mentoring that you learn from being around other world class players versus bring the lone star in some backwoods league.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 12, 2019

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I’m really glad we got Paquetá for what it’s worth. He’s fantastic.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Copa America starts tonight, get ready for some explosive football

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Are we gonna have a thread for Copa Sudamerica featuring Asian teams for some reason?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
`these jolly ol gay forums are dead so we might as well just post about it here

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
i didnt watch last nights game but how the gently caress did brazil keep 75% possession, shot 20 times and only scored 3??

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

the game was god awful, only the 3rd goal was worth that 90 minute turd

today's games should hopefully be better

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Weaponized Cum posted:

the game was god awful, only the 3rd goal was worth that 90 minute turd

today's games should hopefully be better

:agreed:

https://tiger.cdnja.co/v/xk/XKEo.mp4?secure=zbHw_R0KWfZilh6pIsVTbA&expires=1560630600

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

VAR has been MVP in this Venezuela - Peru match, Sucks for Peru but the decisions have been spot on.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I tuned into Venezuela-Peru just in time to see a ridiculous sequence of Peru failing to score somehow.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
mmmhmm just got home in time to see Argentina - Colombia :hellyeah:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/DiarioOle/status/1140008535645929474?s=19

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Threw the remote at my screen when i saw otamendis hair smdh

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
lol Queiroz is the Colombian manager? did Pekerman retire?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Messi and Aguero in training the other day in full Argentina mode

https://twitter.com/tdmas_cr/status/1139332117068943360

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Simone Poodoin posted:

Messi and Aguero in training the other day in full Argentina mode

https://twitter.com/tdmas_cr/status/1139332117068943360

Just imagine how relaxed and relieved fatty Gonz feels right now

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
loving all these sharp elbows

I hope qatar get their heads smashed off by the ‘guay

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Argentina need to start hoofing it out from the back or they're going to get caught out and give up an easy goal.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

trem_two posted:

Just imagine how relaxed and relieved fatty Gonz feels right now

Yeah he's probably drinking beers and eating snacks and watching the match, not unlike myself.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

trem_two posted:

Argentina need to start hoofing it out from the back or they're going to get caught out and give up an easy goal.

Luckily theyve got otamendi wholl

Oh

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Simone Poodoin posted:

Yeah he's probably drinking beers and eating snacks and watching the match, not unlike myself.

Gonz is the spirit animal of all goons in The Bung Piepit

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
GOLAZOOOOOOOOOOO-AZO-AZO

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
phwoar

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Goooooaaaallllaaazzxooooooooooolmao

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
has Hamas signed with anyone yet? that was a sublime pass

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Insanely good goal there especially after all that possession from Argentina.

curried lamb of God posted:

has Hamas signed with anyone yet? that was a sublime pass

Not yet, I know Napoli were interested but I imagine others will be as well.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Throwback Colombia - Argentina in Copa America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRxwOFnMUXc

It was a perfect missed penalty hat trick too

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I forgot that Duvan Zapata is Colombian. He should start over Falcao imo.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

I forgot that Duvan Zapata is Colombian. He should start over Falcao imo.

:agreed: big Duv over Failcow every time

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
:colbert:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

:agreed: big Duv over Failcow every time

:hmmyes: took him all of like 5 minutes lol

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

hell yeah big duv lol

was that his first touch in the match?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
lmfao argentina

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

hell yeah big duv lol

was that his first touch in the match?

Second I think, he started that play too lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
the fact that Messi didn’t take that freekick tells you everything about Argentina

they don’t actually give a poo poo