Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Now I'm getting seriously tempted to drive down to Richland and do the Hanford B Reactor tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh, I'm definitely visiting the Hanford site the next time I'm in the US.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spankmeister posted:

It might also explain why leadership initially thought they could keep a lid on Chernobyl since they successfully did so with Mayak.

lol at the bit at the end how the CIA knew about the accidents but kept it under cover to avoid civilian pushback in the US over the nuclear city concept.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 15, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Oh, I'm definitely visiting the Hanford site the next time I'm in the US.

It's pretty interesting how the Soviets pretty much copied the US for the nuclear city idea.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

etalian posted:

It's pretty interesting how the Soviets pretty much copied the US for the nuclear city idea.

They also copied the idea of just dumping waste in the nearby river and loving over the native people

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Do a Centralia, PA miniseries.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s just Nothing But Trouble

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Data Graham posted:

That’s just Nothing But Trouble

Let Dan Aykroyd make a sequel to Nothing But Trouble.

Put CGI Tupac in it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Put CGI Tupac in it.

The only thing I want to see out of Dan Aykroyd is the long-awaited sequel to My Stepmother Is an Alien.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Gonz posted:

Put CGI Tupac in it.

Pretty sure that movie got Dan aykroyd blacklisted from ever directing anything again.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Nothing but Trouble is one of those movies that I thought was hilarious when I was young, but even now, not having seen it in over 25 years, just from my memories of that movie, I can tell it was horrible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Reactor 4 was sorta like an atomic take on the Bonestripper from Nothing But Trouble.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I get that we all want more of this, but let's face it. Nothing will ever live up to this. Not the best writer, director, actors, etc. Not the worst most hosed up accident they make a series of. It will never ever live up to the Chernobyl accident, and this series.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Although. I would like to see a miniseries about the Windscale fire, that'll be interesting.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster

Best Soviet nuclear accident, let's do what the Yanks did and just dump a whole bunch of random radioactive insanity into an underground storage tank.

And then when the cooling systems fail, let's just pretend it never existed and do something else, for the People!

And when it blew up? The Soviets just pretended they'd created a nice big ultra-restrictive nature preserve in the Urals, just to hid the radioactive contamination.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

spankmeister posted:

I get that we all want more of this, but let's face it. Nothing will ever live up to this. Not the best writer, director, actors, etc. Not the worst most hosed up accident they make a series of. It will never ever live up to the Chernobyl accident, and this series.

100% this. I was around 11 when this happened and I remember the mystery, panic, grainy photos, cancer scares (even here in Ireland there are places where people believe cancer rates got higher in the years after). I've racked my brains and there is nothing else like this in my lifetime.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm in Los Angeles. My memories of Chernobyl were very different. I think I was 10 or 11 when it happened, and back then radio was a bigger part of our lives. Morning DJs were bigger comedy acts than they are now, and I remember one of the radio shows did a skit where they pretended to be a Russian news broadcast.

"Today in the news: NOTHING IS WRONG. Now we turn to Tatiana for the weather."
"In the weather today, everything is perfect. NOTHING IS WRONG. Back to you"
"Thank you Tatiana. Now we turn to Vladimir for the sports"
"Today in sports, Russia wins everything. NOTHING IS WRONG. Back to you"

We were practically on the other side of the world so it was kind of a joke to us. Watching HBO's Chernobyl now I feel terrible about ever having laughed about it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm the same age, and I remember everything feeling very surreal right around then because this was just a few months after the Challenger disaster.

I remember thinking along the lines of "Well ok so our government just hosed up massively and publicly, but hey at least we aren't as bad as THEM!" Whether I got this attitude through osmosis due to ambient cold-war jingoism or what I'm not sure, but I'll bet a lot of people were of the same kind of mindset.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The next major event of “everything is hosed” on an international scale with state-wide coverups and massive human toll is going to be related to climate change and we’re in the critical phases of it right about now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Although. I would like to see a miniseries about the Windscale fire, that'll be interesting.

It's pretty interesting how when you study the early disasters like Windscale fire it was pretty much caused by the desire to produce weapons grade
material ASAP with no real thought to safety.

The Soviet disasters were even worse since you had workers handling plutonium with their bare hands.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Wikipedia article on Andreev Bay is just bananas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreev_Bay_nuclear_accident

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FBS posted:

The Wikipedia article on Andreev Bay is just bananas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreev_Bay_nuclear_accident

Hahah, holy smokes, chernobyl could have been so much worse

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

We were practically on the other side of the world so it was kind of a joke to us. Watching HBO's Chernobyl now I feel terrible about ever having laughed about it.

It's okay, plenty of people in other countries laugh when horrible things happen here.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Something that the show didn't really make clear and that I'm still not clear on after poring over the wikipedia article for the disaster - was it a catastrophic steam explosion that blew open the reactor? That seems the most sensical thing but the Khomyuk character says the reactor was turned into a "nuclear bomb." So, was it a fission explosion?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
There’s no definitive answer, but at least one of the two explosions reported are believed to be a fission explosion.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Admiral Bosch posted:

Something that the show didn't really make clear and that I'm still not clear on after poring over the wikipedia article for the disaster - was it a catastrophic steam explosion that blew open the reactor? That seems the most sensical thing but the Khomyuk character says the reactor was turned into a "nuclear bomb." So, was it a fission explosion?

There were two explosions and the mechanisms behind the two are not known for certain. There have been peer reviewed publications that endorse either the first or second explosion being nuclear and the other being steam. The nuclear explosion would've not caused a nuclear bomb like explosion because the assembly disassembled too fast. In bomb tests thats called a "fizzle".

For example this tower held a bomb that was supposed to have a yield of 20kT:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

MononcQc posted:

The next major event of “everything is hosed” on an international scale with state-wide coverups and massive human toll is going to be related to climate change and we’re in the critical phases of it right about now

Eh, the whole problem is that the cataclysmic effects of climate change are not immediately and intuitively connectable to climate change. If a massive hurricane wiped out Puerto Rico, that wouldn't have if it weren't for climate change, causing thousands to die through systemic racism, corruption and negligence, it wouldn't resonate the same way.

Maybe if a massive ice sheet fell off and caused a destructive tsunami, or something. I kind of wish we got so lucky that a singular, vast, immediate climate change catastrophe materialized because it might galvanize us to prevent new ones. Instead it's going to be a constant trickle that slowly turns into a flood.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Admiral Bosch posted:

The way many seem to think it went down was a steam explosion first that separated the coolant pipes and allowed oxygen in to set off a hydrogen explosion that is what leveled the building. It's really hard to pin down the exact sequence because to do that we'd have to send another reactor up

Basically the reactor core just got really hot because of a lack of coolant and boiled what was left to steam, steam and heat increase radioactivity. Then when the control rods were put in the graphite tips sent the core into a whole new level of heat it just couldn't take. Fuel rods broke jamming the control rods in place. The coating on the fuel rods when super heated reacts with steam to make hydrogen and then you get what happened. Reactor 4 went on a run away chain reaction causing a positive feedback loop till she blew
The whole line about it being a nuclear bomb isn't because it was a nuclear bomb, but more because it was a bomb that involved a nuclear core. It was more like a dirty bomb. The nuclear products involved aren't the source of the explosion, they're what is scattered around by an explosion. Like wrapping a stick of dynamite with nails where the nails are the nuclear products. It's the dynamite that causes the explosion, the nails are what scatter about.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 16, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nerses IV posted:

Hahah, holy smokes, chernobyl could have been so much worse

The first time I came there, I was shocked: I have never seen such a nightmare, did not even conceive it was possible. Just imagine an enormous black windowless building atop of a cliff. Entry into the building #5 was decorated by deformed trucks previously used for carrying nuclear fuel and half-torn-down heavy gates. Inside, the building was dilapidated, electric equipment in dangerous condition, the roof letting through sights of the Aurora Borealis, and, most terrifyingly, colossal beta particle contamination levels and travelling gamma waves reflected from plates and walls. Building #5 was completely radioactive inside. If a drop of water happened to fall on your head, you had to be decontaminated for a long time, since the drop contained tens of thousands of beta particles.

— The death of officer Kalinin S. V. from radiation overdose at Andreev Bay

:vince:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

etalian posted:

If a drop of water happened to fall on your head, you had to be decontaminated for a long time, since the drop contained tens of thousands of beta particles.

— The death of officer Kalinin S. V. from radiation overdose at Andreev Bay

Aren't beta particles electrons? I thought those were just dangerous when moving real fast. Did he maybe mean actual particles of uranium/plutonium?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They probably meant beta emitters.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

An attempt to eliminate the leak was made by pouring in 20 sacks of flour, thus filling the cracks with dough.

Fuckin ...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The worst part of the radioactive leak measured 17000 roentgens a hour.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

If it works, it works!

Wait what's that? It didn't work??

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

etalian posted:

The worst part of the radioactive leak measured 17000 roentgens a hour.

Not great, but not terrible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TinTower posted:

Not great, but not terrible.

Where's Dyatlov when you need him?

There is no leak in the storage tanks!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What I'm getting from all of this is that the international community should pool some money and send Russia to a nuclear safety training

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

etalian posted:

Where's Dyatlov when you need him?

In the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watching youtubes about a nuclear plant worker who got a lethal dose of radiation and whose body slowly melted over the course of two months is not good for your sleep.

Also, looking up the worst story about dog hunting, a story that Craig Mazin couldn't even say out loud during his podcast, is going to haunt you.