Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

too bad bol bol is a twig because imagine how fun zion and bol bol would be at their absolute best selves

Wouldn't do it at 4 but if they traded back and got another pick this would be an okay risk to take, even as someone who thinks the most likely outcome for Bol is that he's either hurt all the time or borderline unplayable because of the D. He'd probably be the best shooter on the team or close to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
AD gets sick of the LeBron media circus after one year, fleas to Brooklyn to team up with Kyrie

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ghost Dog posted:

someone said lonzo has a higher ceiling than kuzma like 100 posts ago and what the gently caress lonzos ceiling is basically iman shumpert

thats NBA Champion Iman Shumpert

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Tacko Fall will be the steal of the draft

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henchman of Santa posted:

AD gets sick of the LeBron media circus after one year, fleas to Brooklyn to team up with Kyrie

Or the Clippers and Kawhi.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

MourningView posted:

Yeah if they supermax him he seems pretty happy there. And honestly good for him

Why would Jordan go out of his way to help LeBron get chips though

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Still hard to believe the raptors are nba champions, and soon to be pelicans

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Draft Bol Bol, play nothing but zone.

someone please hire me as a GM

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Draft Bol Bol, play nothing but zone.

someone please hire me as a GM

Oregon ran almost all zone and he still stunk.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It takes many millions of years before raptors become pelicans.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Wait, something was wrong.

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/1140123632103903233

https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/status/1140126625746563072

So the future Pelicans picks are:

https://twitter.com/thebirdwrites/status/1140128107774533632

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i dont get why they did this

we'll all be dead by the time those picks become any good

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
They'll move to Seattle after New Orleans floods

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Zyla posted:

i dont get why they did this

we'll all be dead by the time those picks become any good

their best player is going to be 19

Also most of those picks will be when LeBron is either gone or in his 40s.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MourningView posted:

their best player is going to be 19

Also most of those picks will be when LeBron is either gone or in his 40s.

think that was a joke

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

old completely bald with grizzly beard LeBron is still going to dad dick the league

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dexo posted:

think that was a joke

Zyla is extremely C-SPAM and probably actually believes it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm glad Lonzo is off the Lakers so now I can root for him

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Lobok posted:

It takes many millions of years before raptors become pelicans.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

drat they’re going to trade the whole rosters? Wild rear end

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
The KD and Klay injuries will only make this summer more insane. Every team will think they are 2 deals away from having A Real Shot at this

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thought exercise for the day, come up with a trade involving bringing in Chris Paul which actually makes the team both better and a contender

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

WhyteRyce posted:

Thought exercise for the day, come up with a trade involving bringing in Chris Paul which actually makes the team both better and a contender

The Rockets or the recipient team?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

WhyteRyce posted:

Surely the Fujian Sturgeons have something that or someone who might entice Houston

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Schlieren posted:

Surely the Fujian Sturgeons have something that or someone who might entice Houston

Russ Smith and Andrew Nicholson who says no?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Here is my Raptors Winning It All Take:

Those that wanted to rename the team are the biggest losers

Black Sabas
Apr 29, 2015

what about cp3+cash+ load management

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Lebron completed the purge and the Mo Wagner era is about to begin. Unleash him, Frank Vogel.

The New Yorker had a piece on Doris Burke a couple of days ago:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/in-praise-of-doris-burke-basketballs-best-tv-analyst/

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

WhyteRyce posted:

Paul for Wiggins, Gorgui Deng and a shitload of picks? Alternatively, Paul for Wiggins and RoCo.

I don't love it for either team, but Minny can use veteran leadership more than whatever the gently caress Wiggins is, and Houston is probably the best place to rehabilitate a million dollar body ten cent brain guy like Wiggins.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah you're looking for cusp-y teams in need of a point guard that aren't top tier FA destinations. If the Wolves can get Chris Paul for Andrew Wiggins straight up or Teague+Dieng then they should definitely do so. Jazz make sense as well. Some combo of Crowder/O'Neal/Exum/Allen for CP3, then sign like Tobias Harris. That'd be a really good team.

I also still think a TJ Warren-centric deal with the Suns would be cool but I don't think that moves the needle as much for them as it does for the other two teams. It'd also be a bit wonky for their timeline.

Idk, his value is really weird and hard to gauge.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 16, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

Well let me say none of these trades are that good but part of a thought exercise is going through options, maybe they'll give someone a better idea:

http://tradenba.com/trades/SkCr5_Q1S Kind of unrealistic, I don't expect Houston to trade in conference. But Chris Paul would play keep away from Russ add balance to the Thunder offense and help the cause of the defense. Also TJ Warren badly wants out of Phoenix but is too nice to say it, and they get a vet point guard and another defensive wing and a pick that could be good. Houston gets a good young defender and a very underrated offensive player who could potentially be big in their system.

http://tradenba.com/trades/rJZ-7FXyH George Hill is apparently really easy to get along with. Tony Snell is a good shooter who D'Antoni can would love; DiVincenzo makes the salary work but he has the tools that D'Antoni likes. The Raptors ruined Bledsoe's life and I could see a good defensive team copying that blueprint, but he would really ease the load on the Rockets in the regular season and hopefully help them to avoid those teams. Chris Paul is still going to be his "two good games per playoff series max" self but if those games happen at the right time it'll save the Bucks from being hosed over by collapse-on-Giannis defenses. House is a throw in but could have a bigger role on this team and make himself some money.

http://tradenba.com/trades/ryFOIqQJH This is the trade that I've had the most variations with. The Heat are loving tired of Whiteside, Riley might do this just to have a player from a generation he can relate to, and maybe he can talk him into early retirement. The picks are the real motivation for this for Miami. They are stuck on a treadmill to nowhere without many assets. Whiteside is shaky the first half of most seasons, but he would be coming along in the playoffs and the Rockets have the tools to deal with a West that's starting to have big men good enough to make their super tiny lineups less relevant. It also allows Houston to flip Capella in a separate deal. Winslow's lack of shooting isn't a problem with Harden around and actually the types of shots a D'Antoni offense gets might actually be ones he can knock down.

http://tradenba.com/trades/H10vc5myS I'm getting tired, I don't know why I'm still doing this, and I didn't even check to see if the money works, but anyway ignore that Kyrie is going to Memphis because this assumes he opts out but there's no way to see what the salary is without him on their books with this machine. Anyway Celtics get their replacement for Kyrie and coupling him with Hayward, who should be just about back to himself next season, and Tatum keeps them in a good spot in the East to get to the Finals if Kawhi goes west. Conley is just straight up better than Chris Paul so if Houston is the favorite this year then that improves them, Marcus Smart is a nice addition to their back court and can knock down shots in a D'Antoni system. Baynes would probably find a nice home in Memphis and they get a big haul of picks. E: yeah this trade doesn't work, Boston would have to find more salary.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 16, 2019

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26983092/the-massive-risks-rewards-anthony-davis-trade

ESPN posted:

Ball and Jrue Holiday might already be the best defensive backcourt in the NBA.

I know Holiday's good, but does Lonzo Ball really stack up that well at his position in advanced metrics? Or does this have more to do w the relative scarcity of quality defensive backcourts?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

rivetz posted:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26983092/the-massive-risks-rewards-anthony-davis-trade

I know Holiday's good, but does Lonzo Ball really stack up that well at his position in advanced metrics? Or does this have more to do w the relative scarcity of quality defensive backcourts?

Lonzo rated pretty highly among guards in a few defensive metrics and the difference between when he was on the team and off the team is pretty intense. Ingram was generally taking the more difficult matchup but Ball usually did a number on the guy he was assigned to. He was also considered the defensive QB.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Rick posted:

Well let me say none of these trades are that good but part of a thought exercise is going through options, maybe they'll give someone a better idea:

As mentioned it's really hard to value Paul. I looked at his age and the scale of his contract, made a face and started running down the list of horror contracts to see who'd want a trash for trash trade.

He can still be a really good player though, so I imagine the rockets would turn their nose up at anything resembling a salary dump.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

mmmm.....cheesy gordita crunch.....

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Haha wow, those extra pick swaps are pretty nuts. Can't wait for AD to hate playing with LeBron and leave next year.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
prediction: Pelicans will have a better record than the Lakers next season

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Lonzo rated pretty highly among guards in a few defensive metrics and the difference between when he was on the team and off the team is pretty intense. Ingram was generally taking the more difficult matchup but Ball usually did a number on the guy he was assigned to. He was also considered the defensive QB.

Yep, Lonzo is legit good defensively and Lonzo and Jrue will be especially nice because you can pre-empt a lot of screens ahead of time by just adjusting who they cover.

It'll stymie a lot of teams, but while "best defensive backcourt" is nice and a plus it only goes so far in making you a good defensive NBA team. Pelicans still need to figure out rim protection.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

prediction: Pelicans will have a better record than the Lakers next season

It's a sure thing, as far as Sports Media is concerned. Lonzo, Ingram, and Hart got a lot better already now that they've been traded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lockback posted:

Yep, Lonzo is legit good defensively and Lonzo and Jrue will be especially nice because you can pre-empt a lot of screens ahead of time by just adjusting who they cover.

It'll stymie a lot of teams, but while "best defensive backcourt" is nice and a plus it only goes so far in making you a good defensive NBA team. Pelicans still need to figure out rim protection.

I agree, this draft is definitely top-heavy but I don't think #4 is as bad as people are making it out to be. If you bring De'Andre Hunter into this crew you're gonna have a ridiculously fun defensive team that's only going to get better as they learn to play with each other.