Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Behold, complete prana-bindu awareness:

https://i.imgur.com/iPXI0EB.mp4

Don't leach images from the Sisterhood's Breeding Program home page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

But... They exist only to serve images

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, apparently the re-release of the old Dune tabletop game is complete(?)

https://twitter.com/RestorationGame/status/1138844125942493184
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1139175071413616645

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The failson of Frank got his grubby mits on it long ago, so I wouldn't get my hands up in the air for it until I know it's untarnished by him.

Quoting from the original press release, from my own post history:

"Gale Force 9 Dune Announcement [PDF posted:

"]
The agreement calls for Gale Force Nine to produce original tabletop games drawing from the full scope of the Dune franchise—spanning the many publications from Frank Herbert, Brian Herbert, and Kevin J. Anderson—along with multiple direct tie-ins with Legendary’s highly-anticipated film from director Denis Villeneuve.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:whitewater:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

hopefully they focus on frank’s output and the @duneauthor game is just a rebranded version of UNO

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

DUNO

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Behold, complete prana-bindu awareness:

https://i.imgur.com/iPXI0EB.mp4

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Is that just a promo version of the game board, or is it actually going to be a massive foldable map with the actual play area being 1/5th of that?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
i hope they mark all the brian related cards with a little robot skull or something so you can toss them out easily. then they can truthfully claim to have it included and also advertise "multiple exciting ways to play"

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I was excited about this but that mat board thing looks awful. It even looks like it has instructions printed on the mat where the cards are standing upright.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'd be really surprised if the mat comes with the game, i'm sure it's for event demos as the photos are from origins.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Thinkin about the cat taped to the mouse alot.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I don't think that's official? Unless the owners of the license decided to use internet crowdsourced art, because that's the same art I printed off years ago to supplement my old set of that game and it's just one of many open-sourced custom reworks, none of them official.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
man, you guys totally mislead me about the end of god emperor

what did leto look like when crawled out of the river, like a big fleshy ol donger?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't think that's official? Unless the owners of the license decided to use internet crowdsourced art, because that's the same art I printed off years ago to supplement my old set of that game and it's just one of many open-sourced custom reworks, none of them official.

I think they did licence it, based on what the boardgames thread is saying about it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

u brexit ukip it posted:

I think they did licence it, based on what the boardgames thread is saying about it.

That's so weird.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

On a reread it really does stick out that they only ever know him as Kynes. Nobody bothered to find out his first name!? That wasn't part of the briefing for the banquet? Or their flight with him to see the spice harvesting? drat sloppy!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hawat’s report set Leto up to expect Kynes to have “gone native”, so Leto treats him like a Fremen and doesn’t go looking for another name. It’s not like Stilgar introduces himself as Bob Stilgar.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

True, but even then you'd think the first draft dossier they built on him (before even moving to Arrakis) would lean on official records re: his status as Imperial Planetologist and Judge of the Change. I can't imagine Imperial writs or whatever would leave out an Imperial agent's first name.

I think it's one of those reveals the reader is supposed to figure out before the characters, but that still would have worked with Liet being a secret or Fremen-only name.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 16, 2019

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Liet his actual first name? I thought it was a Fremen title or something.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
yeah, I think Liet is his sietch name. He wouldn't tell it to outsiders. Although the Emperor might know about it, since he's supposed to be a contact to the Fremen.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

It's hyphenated Liet-Kynes throughout the book. So it's definitely at least a sietch name, especially considering he's named for the Fremen who spared his father, Uliet. It's possible his "official" first name is something else, but it's never given.

His father was Pardot Kynes. For imperial purposes the son can't just be Kynes. Dr. Liet Kynes, imperial planetologist, and Liet-Kynes, Fremen leader, would make sense but it makes our characters fools. Dr. Bob Kynes fixes that, at the expense of Pardot's having gone native and apparently only ever giving his son a Fremen name:

Dune Appendix I posted:

A direct and simple man in many ways, Pardot Kynes. One must evade Harkonnen restrictions? Excellent. Then one marries a Fremen woman. When she gives you a Fremen son, you begin with him, with Liet-Kynes, and the other children, teaching them ecological literacy [...]

The work continued: building, planting, digging, training the children.

Then Kynes-the-Umma was killed in the cave-in at Plaster Basin.

By this time his son, Liet-Kynes, was nineteen, a full Fremen and sandrider who had killed more than a hundred Harkonnens. The Imperial appointment for which the elder Kynes already had applied in the name of his son was delivered as a matter of course. The rigid class structure of the faufreluches had its well-ordered purpose here. The son had been trained to follow the father.

Wanna see that application

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

skasion posted:

Hawat’s report set Leto up to expect Kynes to have “gone native”, so Leto treats him like a Fremen and doesn’t go looking for another name. It’s not like Stilgar introduces himself as Bob Stilgar.

Bob Stilgar is now his canon name. So it is written.

Mother of God

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Kull wahad!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

hahaha

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Don’t doxx me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

If Chani is played by Zendaya does that mean Liet's gonna be my dream dude Idris Elba?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Wesley Snipes

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

If Chani is played by Zendaya does that mean Liet's gonna be my dream dude Idris Elba?

A CGI Max von Sydow.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Prolonged Priapism posted:

It's hyphenated Liet-Kynes throughout the book. So it's definitely at least a sietch name, especially considering he's named for the Fremen who spared his father, Uliet. It's possible his "official" first name is something else, but it's never given.

His father was Pardot Kynes. For imperial purposes the son can't just be Kynes. Dr. Liet Kynes, imperial planetologist, and Liet-Kynes, Fremen leader, would make sense but it makes our characters fools. Dr. Bob Kynes fixes that, at the expense of Pardot's having gone native and apparently only ever giving his son a Fremen name:

Wanna see that application

lol

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Is this the backstory that the new movie is supposed to touch upon?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THE BAR posted:

A CGI Max von Sydow.

A CGI Wesley Snipes

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

The Bloop posted:

A CGI Wesley Snipes

some motherfuckers always trying to plant trees updune

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Mads Mikkelsen in CGI blackface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

BONGHITZ posted:

Thinkin about the cat taped to the mouse alot.

It's called an antidote.