Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Loved the first. Quit the second about 50 pages in.

Goons Are Gifts

:psypop:

cda

by Hand Knit

cda posted:

I wish there was a pronunciation guide though

it turns out there is, at the end of the book, so that when youve struggled for 400 pages with how to pronounce ezuazuacatlim, you can find out you were doing it right all along

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

curse

heck
i keep meaning to
as one of my favorite memes is a dune meme
but then i think to myself
that is too long

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
dune is a lot like lotr in a lot of ways. it is basically what most modern sci-fi draws on, it's written by some old dead dude, and it is long winded. much like how tolkien rambles on about rolling hills, herbert has a lot of ecological stuff going on for pages.

but when you've read it, stuff like star wars becomes pretty weird, because you already know about the sand worms and spice and all that noise

Nosfereefer

while herbert was writing the fremen from a very colonialist perpective, they still end up as the dominant culture of the galaxy (with help from whiteboy mcprivilegeface), and in star wars the tusken are despicted as animal-like predators

Nosfereefer

in conclusion, george lucas is a hack, and we should still resent him

Nosfereefer

herbert also draws on some mediaeval islamic tropes about decadent sedentary imperial powers being ousted by militant desert nomads, who in turn becomes the new decadent power holders awaiting the next wave of desert invasions

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you
i don't read a lot of books on account of the dyslexia but i do think you should wear clothes while reading if you're outside or in front of a window

Papa Was A Video Toaster

canyoneer posted:

i don't read a lot of books on account of the dyslexia but i do think you should wear clothes while reading if you're outside or in front of a window

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

canyoneer posted:

Goons Are Gifts

canyoneer posted:

google THIS

canyoneer posted:

Stoner Sloth

canyoneer posted:

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

canyoneer posted:

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

jeffery

canyoneer posted:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ghost emoji

oooOooOOOooh

canyoneer posted:

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this post and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the intended recipient of this post, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the post and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this post or any attachments by an individual or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

TorsvikVonClemson
Dag yo, we talkin bout DUNE? I love some Dune me. The first one is some of the sickest stuff. Children of Dune made me have a freakout tho. Not touchin God Emperor Dune tho. I'll just make some of the DOS Dune RTS plot in to some digestible head canon.

abide.

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

canyoneer posted:

Nosfereefer

iron maiden once wrote a pretty uninspired song about dune, which frank herbert specifically denied the right to name after the book (they ended up calling it "to tame a land")

this is fair, since they actually wrote this:

body water is your life
and without it you would die
in the desert the planet dune
without a stillsuit you would fry
on the sands so hot and dry

google THIS

Nosfereefer posted:

body water is your life

Let's play "Heavy Metal Lyrics or Oral Presentation For an Eighth Grade English Class?"

Papa Was A Video Toaster

google THIS posted:

Let's play "Heavy Metal Lyrics or Oral Presentation For an Eighth Grade English Class?"

In a world called Arrakis
It is a land that's rich in spice
The sand riders and the "mice"
That they call the "Muad'Dib"
He is the Kwizatz Haderach
He is born of Caladan
And will take the Gom Jabbar

Manifisto

body water is your life
and dusty with dust
he's not even your girlfriend now
no one's ever really liked you no one likes you
when you see me come from that city of sand
and the sand that's the city of no returns
you look at me and you see my hands and legs, I don't even remember
I'm sitting in the empty room inside there
I saw me, all the pain and loneliness
And I don't even see your voice in my head
and you're never in my arms
you're right just so far away from the pain that's already so real
when the rain drops are flying in and falling
just the sound
of the wind that's pulling the rain out, from the rain I guess it means I'm not alone
so like that when you cry with me
there's water and just as much as there is, there's too much
it's not like it doesn't hurt, it gets worse when you see me
I'm so tired, so tired, but I will never be too late
I love you so much there's nothing I can cry about
there's nothing like the pain I feel inside my head (You're not lonely,

google THIS

TVsVeryOwn posted:

In a world called Arrakis
It is a land that's rich in spice
The sand riders and the "mice"
That they call the "Muad'Dib"
He is the Kwizatz Haderach
He is born of Caladan
And will take the Gom Jabbar

C-

Did you read the book, Mr. Maiden, or just the Cliff Notes? Please see me after class.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

It's gonna take a sand worm to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred fremen or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Arrakeen
Gonna take some spice and see the things we haven't had yet (ooh, ooh)

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

google THIS

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

google THIS

Rollin through the sietch, smokin melange, sippin on my own recycled sweat
Laid back (with my mind on my Muad'dib and my Muad'dib on my mind)

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

beer pal posted:

heres a question i have about dune: does it have themes? i just finished another really long sci fi book and i was disappointed that it didnt have much themes

It’s about family. That’s what’s so powerful about it

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

beer pal

im reading Dune

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

alnilam

i;m thinkin bout thos Themes

beer pal

Let's Read: Frank Herbert's Dune [blind readthrough no backseating]

alnilam

I'm reading moby dick, it has major themes and critics at the time hailed it as "the Dune of the sea"

beer pal

looking forward to the chapters on the mating habits & migrational routes of sand worms

Farecoal

There he go
Dune Worm% Speedrun in 03:40.05 [WR]

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

alnilam posted:

I'm reading moby dick, it has major themes and critics at the time hailed it as "the Dune of the sea"

Moby pebis

alnilam

Muaby'Dik

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

alnilam posted:

Muaby'Dik