Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the levelling system is just bad for the game. The game already has a very accessible easy mode and character progression from chips, all the levelling does is wall you out of some areas earlier on and probably make the last part of the game much too easy if you've been doing sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

The most memorable fight for me was the Dojo Robot, due to being severely underleveled. It was a nearly hour long battle, used up all of my consumables, and my controller was slippery with sweat by the end.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Route A/B makes sense in retrospect as the first step in a character-switching pattern which escalates as the game goes on; later in the game you'll switch between characters with greater frequency.

It's also the first real step in disassociating you from the characters. At the start of the game, there's a lot of effort put into immersing you "in" the character- the UI being the androids' HUD, powers being chips, death and resurrection and fast travel via the kiosks, etc. Starting with the beginning of route B the game disentangles us from that immersion- we have a different character's POV, we see events that character can't possibly have been present for- what even are the diorama scenes, diegetically?- and we'll get further away from "being" the character as the game progresses, with the ending pretty much relying on you being separate from the characters but still feeling empathy for them.

All of which doesn't make playing the whole first half of the game twice any less of an insane and tedious decision!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

2house2fly posted:

All of which doesn't make playing the whole first half of the game twice any less of an insane and tedious decision!

Yoko Taro has done far, far meaner things. Look up how to get the final ending in Nier Gestalt sometime.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the levelling system is just bad for the game. The game already has a very accessible easy mode and character progression from chips, all the levelling does is wall you out of some areas earlier on and probably make the last part of the game much too easy if you've been doing sidequests.

Hard agree.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I feel like levels and EXP are in this game (and maybe in some other games too) merely as a vestige no one paid much attention to. It's an RPG so it's gotta have levels, right?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Good post 2house. The game does ask something of its players, but it's necessary and the payoff is worth it. It's like challenging cinema. :)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Amppelix posted:

I feel like levels and EXP are in this game (and maybe in some other games too) merely as a vestige no one paid much attention to. It's an RPG so it's gotta have levels, right?

That's the actual reasoning Yoko Taro presented in an interview

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

IIRC leveling is in and it scales crazily so that no matter how much trouble someone is having on a boss, you can grind a bit and outlevel it easily to keep going through the story.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Samuringa posted:

That's the actual reasoning Yoko Taro presented in an interview

That was pretty funny, I'd expected an answer talking about the androids' mission being to gather combat data presented as XP and the enemies levelling up too representing the neverending arms race in the neverending war or something, but he literally just said "there's levels in the game because it's an RPG". Yoko Taro ftw

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
The most frustrating thing about leveling to me was that it’s so easy to over level if you like exploring or do any side quests that it becomes actually impossible for most people to see a really cool Easter egg late in the game. And locking the deleveling item behind a level 99 arena battle is just trolling.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it's trolling. But there's a place in my heart for incredibly impractical secret content. (i never bothered doing it)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Esme posted:

The most frustrating thing about leveling to me was that it’s so easy to over level if you like exploring or do any side quests that it becomes actually impossible for most people to see a really cool Easter egg late in the game. And locking the deleveling item behind a level 99 arena battle is just trolling.

What's the Easter Egg?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I enjoyed my hard playthrough and didnt feel like i was dying to unfair offscreen damage. You eventually do outlevel stuff to the point that most bosses took me 2-3 attempts as opposed to a few dozen during the earlier chapters.

Then again most players probably finished the entire game without dying so ymmv

Also for insanely hidden easter eggs theres the golden rule that it will be on youtube roughly 37 minutes after the game launched anyway

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Look Sir Droids posted:

What's the Easter Egg?

Presumably they mean (final final ending spoilers) hacking A2 as 9S during the boss fight in ending C/D, if you do it a couple times the camera zooms out further and further to show you're hacking the game's own pause menu. If you are above like level 60 or so you literally cannot see it because hacking does too much damage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh that. I guess you can overlevel that yeah.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

CJacobs posted:

Presumably they mean (final final ending spoilers) hacking A2 as 9S during the boss fight in ending C/D, if you do it a couple times the camera zooms out further and further to show you're hacking the game's own pause menu. If you are above like level 60 or so you literally cannot see it because hacking does too much damage.

Yep, it’s this. You will level too much to see it if you do most side quests in sequence instead of leaving a bunch until after the game, iirc.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

CJacobs posted:

It's been a while, so I can't recall why that would be significant other than "oh neat".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

At the very least it would make a lot of sense to adjust the final boss's level to your own.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's been a while, so I can't recall why that would be significant other than "oh neat".
It's just a joke about hacking a playable character and seeing something you recognize. It was very surprising.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's totally cool. The game is so dense with cool, thematic moments that it's lame to miss them because of shoddy gameplay design.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

At the very least it would make a lot of sense to adjust the final boss's level to your own.

Yeah, including an option to sync enemy levels to your character level would have been the exact bandaid the RPG system needed to fix its flaws. I have no idea why they didn't add that, it makes so much sense.

edit: Hell, they wouldn't have even needed to make it an option the player could toggle. Just have the game automatically make any enemy below your character level jump up to ~1-3 under it and leave anything above your level untouched.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 24, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

UP AND ADAM posted:

It's totally cool. The game is so dense with cool, thematic moments that it's lame to miss them because of shoddy gameplay design.

Right. I just don't recall why revealing it as the pause menu would be thematic. But as a previous poster said, it doesn't look like that particular thing means anything.

Kind of surprised no one has modded in better lvl scaling.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Right. I just don't recall why revealing it as the pause menu would be thematic. But as a previous poster said, it doesn't look like that particular thing means anything.

The pause menu IS the android's like internal OS menu. That's pretty well established early on when you and 9S adjust 2B's settings.

The game does need better level scaling....its way to easy if you do any extra content but......eh whatever I like it as it is, a flawed gem.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Madmarker posted:

The pause menu IS the android's like internal OS menu. That's pretty well established early on when you and 9S adjust 2B's settings.

Right. But you already know that from the beginning of the game so that easter egg is not revealing any secrets.

What I'm saying is it doesn't look like I have that much reason to be mad I missed out on the easter egg.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is there any level scaling at all? Maybe the game just straight-up doesn't support it?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Right. But you already know that from the beginning of the game so that easter egg is not revealing any secrets.

What I'm saying is it doesn't look like I have that much reason to be mad I missed out on the easter egg.

The reason to be mad is that it's an extremely cool "oh poo poo!!" moment: https://youtu.be/8UW0sXZx53Q

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

The reason to be mad is that it's an extremely cool "oh poo poo!!" moment: https://youtu.be/8UW0sXZx53Q

Holy crap! I never even tried hacking her, the sword was good enough. That’s amazing.

This frikkin game, you guys.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

Whoa, that’s badass. I had only done the first three hacking scenarios because she was always dead by then.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

In case you aren’t in the general PS4 thread, this just happened:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Don't let that fucker touch an actual good design, it'll get tainted, and not only by association

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Don't let that fucker touch an actual good design, it'll get tainted, and not only by association

Too late.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lmao what the gently caress elon

somehow out of all the dumbass things he's done "i wish people would stop crediting artists" gets me the hardest

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

ImpAtom posted:

Too late.
How is he such a neverending cesspit of finding ways to be a despicable blight on the human race, you'd think there were laws of physics preventing this poo poo (cause actual laws sure don't)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Money

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's someone called Meli Magali, since you ask.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m pretty sure Musk just tweets about anime every time he needs his Twitter sycophants to boost him out of an ambien induced depression.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

How is he such a neverending cesspit of finding ways to be a despicable blight on the human race, you'd think there were laws of physics preventing this poo poo (cause actual laws sure don't)

he's wealthy and extremely online

like notch, it's two great tastes that taste great together

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dabir posted:

It's someone called Meli Magali, since you ask.

there's something disturbing about how this person does lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So why exactly did Musk post a picture of 2b?