Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bremen posted:

It's not big on micromanagement (and at game start you can even choose to shrink everyone's navy proportionately so you aren't dealing with hundreds of ships). It's grognardy reputation is almost entirely in the ship design, where you could spend a half hour fiddling with numbers or looking up what things like narrow armor belts and cross deck fire mean.

Though in a lot of ways, isn't that the entire fun of the game? Designing ships? Makes sense it'd be the biggest point of mechanical complexity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I just wish LPs of this game would last long enough so we can see some of the endgame stuff. Most of them trundle on to about 1910 before crapping out.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Z the IVth posted:

I just wish LPs of this game would last long enough so we can see some of the endgame stuff. Most of them trundle on to about 1910 before crapping out.

The game has been out for like a month.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bremen posted:

The game has been out for like a month.

Rule the Waves 1 was functionally the same game and we never got out of the early stages - not to the point where stuff added in this game would have showed up.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grey has literally played WW2 Pacific DAY BY DAY...Twice.

I think it's safe to say he'll manage to get to the 50s in this one

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Aye and Aye

Additionally Continuously refit the yacht with the latest technology as it becomes available, budget permitting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gulping Again posted:

Additionally Continuously refit the yacht with the latest technology as it becomes available, budget permitting.

No! This is a priceless cultural artifact, and must be precisely preserved for our peoples future.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 16, 2019

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Aye and Aye

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
Aye
Aye

We only need one glorious ship to deter any other navy.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Lone Badger posted:

No! This is a priceless cultural artifact, and must be precisely preserved for our peoples future.

Gulping Again posted:

Aye and Aye

I feel like this is going to be a point of contention for some time. It will, however, require a seperate act next session either way.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Goons: we don’t want this LP to end before the 1950s.

Also Goons: let’s spend most of the GDP on a floating sucession crisis.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

quote:

Current states
Germany – Neutral
Britain – Friendly
Austria-Hungary – Hostile
France – Neutral
Italy – Neutral
Japan – Hostile
USA – Friendly.

Priority 1 – Budget
Priority 2 - Prestige.

Zip! posted:

May I propose the PUT YOUR TOYS AWAY act?

– Upon the cessation of all/any hostilities moving forward for future conflicts, our dearest Commander in Chef will automatically either mothball or put into a reserve a portion of the fleet that he deems appropriate to allow us to maximize cost savings for further development of the fleet during times of peace unless explicitly directed by our assembled privy Council.

Amended to never have the Tsars Yacht mothballed.

With these rules in place I put the other cruisers into reserve.

January 1906

I use some of the glut of money to purchase more technology.

The French are behind us in submarine technology.

February 1906

Of course Japan are meddling in the Balkans!

The Battleships are back – and reserved. The three armoured cruisers go into the docks.

March 1906

Yes. A Battleship.

Our intelligence is still leaking.

April1906

The USA are now building a Battlecruiser.

May1906

I'm sure we have more to learn from them than they do from us!

He says before a series of breakthroughs.

June1906

Everyone is building or rebuilding ships as normal.

July1906

I call for an international committee to thwart Frances plans.

They ignore us.

I will never say no to more technology!

The heavy cruisers are back and mothballed.

August1906

More industry means more taxes, and more money for us!

While everyone else is being diplomatic and trailing behind the chugging thing that Austia-Hungary put out, our ship steams to victory.

The upsets their citizens, and they clamour for more ships.

August1906

Our torpedoes improve once more.

The Worth is heavily armoured, the Hansa, not so much.

September1906

That is a good price for coastal subs.

We catch Japan with their hand in the technology pot!

While being..... interrogated, the spy gives up they are also spying on Germany.

October1906

The Grom enters service, I delayed her a month to get the better fire control.

Cross-Fire guns are now ours to build.

The Austro-Hungarians have a good month for tech.

November1906

Torpedo protection seems to be all the rage at the moment.

December1906

Now this is a useful technology.

The Austrians are still wanting their armoured crusiers.

Another year ends, and I have put our finances into the black with a nice surplus.

The recent rebuilds will prevent our ships from going obsolete. We also have three submarines.

We only have two ships under construction.

France is our only worry at this time.

We have had some useful breakthroughs this year.

So back over to you!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I demand more submarines! These 'pre-sunk' ships will offer immense efficiency savings in battle.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is it time to go take some French Colonies, or do we need more money still?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nine of Eight posted:

Goons: we don’t want this LP to end before the 1950s.

Also Goons: let’s spend most of the GDP on a floating sucession crisis.

Remember we're Russia; we could literally gently caress up badly enough that the Bolsheviks take over.

Z the IVth posted:

I can promise you I'll do my best to make sure mine makes it to the end, though it's slower going than Grey's. I'll be back to 1.5 years per update once we finish this war with Austria.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Hail Germania

Positive relations should be pursued with the German Empire. We have had several beneficial deals with them and our relationship has improved. We should upsh for the reestablishment of the Dual Emperor's Leauge and align ourselves with them. If possible, we should try to establish an alliance wit hthem.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cross Firing CA

A new heavy Cruiser squadron of at least 6 ships is to be commissioned. The only requirements are
23+ Kt as per a prior act
At least one set of Cross Deck firing turrets
CA designation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Cross Firing CA

A new heavy Cruiser squadron of at least 6 ships is to be commissioned. The only requirements are
23+ Kt as per a prior act
At least one set of Cross Deck firing turrets
CA designation.

lmao we're still building three heavy cruisers and two of them are halted for lack of funds

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

vyelkin posted:

lmao we're still building three heavy cruisers and two of them are halted for lack of funds

I don't want to hear your excuses!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Veloxyll posted:

Grey has literally played WW2 Pacific DAY BY DAY...Twice.

I think it's safe to say he'll manage to get to the 50s in this one

His RTW1 LP died early of unspecified causes. Just saying.

Edit: I am terrible and wrong.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 16, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

His RTW1 LP died early of unspecified causes. Just saying.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731619

Erm, no it didn't!

Some LPs fizzle out, mainly the participation ones. but not that one.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

wedgekree posted:

Hail Germania

Positive relations should be pursued with the German Empire. We have had several beneficial deals with them and our relationship has improved. We should upsh for the reestablishment of the Dual Emperor's Leauge and align ourselves with them. If possible, we should try to establish an alliance wit hthem.

Seconded

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731619

Erm, no it didn't!

Some LPs fizzle out, mainly the participation ones. but not that one.

I am so sorry to have slandered your good name Sir. :downsgun:

The last LP died of Goons, as is traditional and good.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

No problem. I do a few lps....

You did remind me i need to archive that and several other lps!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

The Lone Badger posted:

I demand more submarines! These 'pre-sunk' ships will offer immense efficiency savings in battle.

Seconded, more submarines. They're not exciting but RNG torpedoes are something you want on your side

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Sunk Cost Fallacy Act

Scrap the two most incomplete cruisers currently under construction. They're based on old tech and we could create much better ones when we finally have the money to continue construction, in like a year and a half.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Out of curiosity how much of a difference can subs make in this game? Can you lean super-hard into subs and still be competitive?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Out of curiosity how much of a difference can subs make in this game? Can you lean super-hard into subs and still be competitive?

You could in RTW1, I haven't tried in 2 yet. The main problem with doing it in RTW1 was that it was really, really boring.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

vyelkin posted:

You could in RTW1, I haven't tried in 2 yet. The main problem with doing it in RTW1 was that it was really, really boring.

To elaborate, subs aren't controllable. If you have a bunch of subs at the end of each month you'll get a screen saying "your subs sunk x transports and gained you y VP" and if you sink enough the enemy starts getting increasing unrest. You also sometimes randomly get events that enemy warships were torpedoed after a battle, or during the end of month processing. Ships with minelaying capability work similarly (in addition to sometimes showing up in fights).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Bremen posted:

Sunk Cost Fallacy Act

Scrap the two most incomplete cruisers currently under construction. They're based on old tech and we could create much better ones when we finally have the money to continue construction, in like a year and a half.

Seconded.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Submarine Stockpiling Act

It is clear now that these submarines are useful for keeping raiders and battleships away from our bases without the vulnerability of coastal batteries to naval gunfire. Therefore we should start constructing submarines every month equal to the number of naval bases that we possess so that we can start the war with a healthy submarine force.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Danann posted:

Submarine Stockpiling Act

It is clear now that these submarines are useful for keeping raiders and battleships away from our bases without the vulnerability of coastal batteries to naval gunfire. Therefore we should start constructing submarines every month equal to the number of naval bases that we possess so that we can start the war with a healthy submarine force.

Seconded.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Submarines never need updating, replacing, or ever get sunk, do they?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Submarines can certainly get sunk, and the coastal models currently available will need to be replaced by ones with longer range and mine laying capabilities. Subs don't go obsolete like regular ships, but you can't mothball them or put them in reserve.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm against getting a heap of subs just yet, then. We already have a fair few coastal ones from the last bill, right?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Only three, iirc

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Bremen posted:

Sunk Cost Fallacy Act

Finish the Cruisers Act

We currently have two Grom-class armored cruisers in the yard. It is cheaper to finish them than scrap them and build clean-sheet cruisers. As the last war showed, we desperately need more tonnage. Finishing the Groms is the fastest and cheapest way to get that tonnage.

Experimental Submarine Squadron Act

Build two coastal submarines, for experimental purposes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

Finish the Cruisers Act

We currently have two Grom-class armored cruisers in the yard. It is cheaper to finish them than scrap them and build clean-sheet cruisers. As the last war showed, we desperately need more tonnage. Finishing the Groms is the fastest and cheapest way to get that tonnage.

Seconded.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

***PRIORITETY ISSLEDOVANIYE 01 JAN 1907 ST PETERSBURG***
YEGO IMPYERATORSKOGO VYELICHYESTVA (NIKOLAYA II [VTOROGO])
pre:
Research Area				Last research		Priority	Levels
Machinery development			Steam Turbines		High		5
Armour development			Quality control		Low		3
Hull construction			High tensile steel	Low		2
Fire control				Central firing		Low		3
Subdivision and damage control		Improved subdivision	High		2
Turrets and gun mountings		Improved turret design	Low		4
Ship design				Cross deck fire		Low		5
AP Projectiles				Capped AP projectiles	Medium		3
Light forces and torpedo warfare	DD of up to 600 tons	High		1
Torpedo technology			Imp. compressed air	Medium		4
Submarines				Coastal submarine	Low		5
ASW technology				Basic			Low		0
Explosive shells			Improved filler packing	Low		3
Fleet tactics				Improved signalling	High		2
Naval guns				13 inch guns		Medium
BYURO REGRETS TO INFORM NAVY TSAR NOW INTERESTED IN AVIATION STOP
THE EMPEROR LATELY HAS PERUSED NEWS OF LANGLEY, WHITEHEAD, WRIGHT BROTHERS, SANTOS-DUMONT ETC. STOP
HE WANTS TO FLY ONE OFF THE DECK OF HIS NEW YACHT STOP
COULD WE POSSIBLY DISTRACT HIM WITH SOME BETTER DESTROYERS END

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Subs are boring, especially for a participation LP... at least raiders need to be designed / updated and you can have theory crafting / doctrinal divides WRT minimalist vs. well armed.

Subs are Zero-Sum in that they either accomplish little to nothing if you have a handful, or are dumb and overpowered if you build a lot.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 17, 2019