Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

And oh poo poo, that's not all because we're taking a trip into a Fuzzy Buck Hole.

you missed buck's first appearance in that area. he's up one of the hand/ladders early in the dungeon, punching the walls

his dialogue goes something like, "What do you want me to do? What can I do?"

this was the first memory dungeon i found so i wandered around it for ages expecting some kind of exit

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MachuPikacchu posted:

Buck just wants to be a big, strong older brother.

Yeah, for how creepy the area is it seems like Jimmy's memories of his brother are mostly pretty fond ones. Despite seeing Buck as very much a bully.

Siblinghood, I guess.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Oxxidation posted:

you missed buck's first appearance in that area. he's up one of the hand/ladders early in the dungeon, punching the walls

his dialogue goes something like, "What do you want me to do? What can I do?"

this was the first memory dungeon i found so i wandered around it for ages expecting some kind of exit

:O

I will be remedying this this afternoon.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Rather than re-record it (because I can't open the treasure anymore) I've screencapped it for you.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I get the impression this area is likely a result of Buck letting Jimmy watch horror movies a moody teenager would enjoy that were definitely not appropriate for an eight-year-old.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Breadmaster posted:

I get the impression this area is likely a result of Buck letting Jimmy watch horror movies a moody teenager would enjoy that were definitely not appropriate for an eight-year-old.

Yeah, there's an interesting distinction to be made between the nightmare areas and this new, horror-themed continent.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, for how creepy the area is it seems like Jimmy's memories of his brother are mostly pretty fond ones. Despite seeing Buck as very much a bully.

Siblinghood, I guess.

I think the creepiness of the area means that Jimmy's feelings towards Buck are kind of conflicted

like he loves his brother but is kinda on the cusp of realizing that Buck is kind of a jerk, or something

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Solitair posted:

Yeah, there's an interesting distinction to be made between the nightmare areas and this new, horror-themed continent.

pretty much. the nightmare areas presented so far have been examples of disturbing or traumatic imagery forcing their way into jimmy's idyllic world, but on this continent the trauma is dominant rather than covert

it's noteworthy that, unlike the last area, jimmy neither intended nor wanted to come here

Yinlock posted:

I think the creepiness of the area means that Jimmy's feelings towards Buck are kind of conflicted

i've got a different take on it - as we saw when buck laid out that bartender goon, for all his crankiness he will ruin anyone who threatens jimmy when he's around

jimmy's memories of buck showed up here because buck protects him from scary things

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

pretty much. the nightmare areas presented so far have been examples of disturbing or traumatic imagery forcing their way into jimmy's idyllic world, but on this continent the trauma is dominant rather than covert

it's noteworthy that, unlike the last area, jimmy neither intended nor wanted to come here

there's still a lot of Goofy poo poo going on though so I wouldn't say it's TOO dominant

Oxxidation posted:

i've got a different take on it - as we saw when buck laid out that bartender goon, for all his crankiness he will ruin anyone who threatens jimmy when he's around

jimmy's memories of buck showed up here because buck protects him from scary things

this is also a valid take

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Yinlock posted:

like he loves his brother but is kinda on the cusp of realizing that Buck is kind of a jerk, or something

I'd say that he's more scared of Buck even though he loves him. There's been hints that Buck has been angry towards him and confused, especially in that screencap.

Helga's also going through some poo poo in the Fuzzy Mom Cave and these are the cleanest memories, which I guess are the most recent.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 16, 2019

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jimmy really is doing his best

bawk fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 16, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

thecluckmeme posted:

Is there an upload planned for today or was the no commentary episode that popped up in my sub feed the one you use for recording commentary? I just saw it pop up and disappear on YT but I have to go to bed soon, just wanted to know if I should wait up a little longer or if the episode is still in progress.

I forgot to click unlisted. That's the one I use for recording. Shhhhhhh.

NOTHING HAPPENED.

It'll be on Monday.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ha. i've had that happen before. no shame, man, no shane.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dash Rendar posted:

ha. i've had that happen before. no shame, man, no shane.

I'm recording with a certain handsome boy that refuses to give me dirt on you.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Huh, can't understand why you posted a blank post. Can't wait to see if we have a video early this week!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

GrandmaParty posted:

I'm recording with a certain handsome boy that refuses to give me dirt on you.

sweet jesus that's a long list. is it Putty?!?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dash Rendar posted:

sweet jesus that's a long list. is it Putty?!?

Nah it's Crow. Wouldn't tell me anything to make you blush.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
that's only cause i have equally damning dirt on crow...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dash Rendar posted:

that's only cause i have equally damning dirt on crow...

And to think I took the "It's because I respect him too much" angle :negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:yum:

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

I want to contribute more here but I don't know what to say other than I'm continuing to enjoy this LP, so I'm just going to post a little bit of fanart I've done

wait actually i did think of something to say, I love the bit in ep 11 where Buck is being protective of Jimmy and tells him not to wander too far from him. Buck owns.

Anyway:

oh and this photo my friend took i drew over a little while back. Don't go in the rattlesnake playground, Jimmy!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Solitair posted:

You can sometimes see the difference in Jimmy form's thoughts on the area.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yes, the impression I get from this island is that it's spooky in the same way that, say, Halloween is spooky. Areas like the Buddy Bee Hive are on a whole other level.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Whybird posted:

Yes, the impression I get from this island is that it's spooky in the same way that, say, Halloween is spooky. Areas like the Buddy Bee Hive are on a whole other level.

the battle background and Jimmy himself are generally the key, if Jimmy is silent and the background is skulls that means that means that it's something that Jimmy is afraid of (or at the very least is trying to avoid)

Jimmy's mostly fine with Halloween land, it's just that his bear is a turd

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 16, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Kad posted:

I want to contribute more here but I don't know what to say other than I'm continuing to enjoy this LP, so I'm just going to post a little bit of fanart I've done

Those are delightful :D More than a worthy contribution!

Whybird posted:

There seems to be a difference between, say, "horror" as in areas pulling from fictional horror tropes, and "terror" as in actual, existential/physical/external things that are even scarier for an 8 year old's perception level.

I did spoil the ending for myself, but I don't feel badly about it because the game is going in the direction I suspected it would. Still along for the ride, though, because it's super charming even when it's causing my guts to sink.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 13 is up!

Nine Gear Crow joins me for an optional romp through Turnbuckle Manor!

Yep. I said optional. Turnbuckle Manor is a throwback to a lot of old NES adventure games and also Yume Nikki and you don't have to do it if you want to break through the monster gauntlet.

Crow and I have a good time doing this very long manor. But there's not a whole lot of plot development except for the last minute.

And you're gonna learn about Canada! And also GRRM! And writing! And how rural people shake hands! It's very exciting.

I'm not gonna lie, I got really, really misty at the last scene in this one. It's very well done.

Shut up. I'm not crying. You're crying. Scabs farted and the smell is making my eyes water.

Commentary On

No Commentary

Kad posted:

wait actually i did think of something to say, I love the bit in ep 11 where Buck is being protective of Jimmy and tells him not to wander too far from him. Buck owns.

Anyway:

oh and this photo my friend took i drew over a little while back. Don't go in the rattlesnake playground, Jimmy!

You're phenomenal and I love all of these.

OTHER NEWS:

I lost at online Jeopardy against Dirt Road Junglist and Faantastic and now i have to eat a Twinkie Wiener sandwich :(

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 17, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The manor is completely optional and you can battle the toys on the path to the east of it to progress. But when I played through it, I thought it was mandatory.

Immunize helps a lot for the Turnbuckle fight. It's a handy ability on Jonathon, who seems to be lacking in those things.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's interesting that you mention how actual French people look down on the Quebecois French dialect and those who speak it. A month ago my family was having dinner with some friends including someone of Acadian descent, and he was telling us about how even they got looked down on by other French Canadians. Apparently those who settled in Quebec were predominantly from Paris or its outskirts, while many of the Acadians were from more provincial locations like the French coast.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Quebecois French has, bar none, the lamest swears of any language. "Tabernac" is their rough equivalent of "gently caress."

I'm sure that every French speaker looks down on people who speak Haitian Creole. That's technically an entirely different language, even though it's mostly French. My ex speaks it, it honestly sounds lovely.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 17, 2019

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

There is a very clear elitist hierarchy with regards to the way people speak French, where Parisian French is considered "true" French and as you get away from Paris the French they speak is seen as less "pure" and thus less desirable. There is absolutely an ethnic and racial component to this form of linguistic discrimination as well. Parisian French is pure and good and desirable, while stronger French accents, especially those from the south, Marseille especially, are perceived as silly accents for silly people. The francophone Belgians and Swiss are perceived as dumb. Canadian French is, as GP and Crow said, hillbilly French.

...and then there's Africa.

As much as France would like to have the world forget, they have lots of blood on their hands when it comes to Africa and France's colonial treatment of it. They like to think that they're paragons of tolerance and secular acceptance, but there's still a whole lot of implicit, low key racism in France, even without accounting for the recent rise in populist/nationalist rhetoric that has targeted Jews and migrants, and one of the elements that evidences this racism is France's view of African French. The French spoken in Senegal, Mali, francophone Cameroon, Burkina Faso, and Côte d'Ivoire (I may be forgetting a few) is seen as dirty. When French academics spend hours and hours bloviating about how one must strive to speak français propre ("clean French") they are talking about Sub-Saharan Africans specifically, and when Africans are excluded from the Prix Goncourt (the highest literary honor for the French language) this lack of cleanliness, linguistic and also, implicitly, racial, is stated as the reason.

The people of Northern Africa, especially Algeria, are also seen as, say, less clean than the French, and therefore inferior, but the massive influx of Algerians into France during the second half of the 20th century has forced French society to begrudgingly accept certain elements of Northern African French and even adopt some slang words from Arabic.

The ironic thing is that it is these very "dirty" francophones who are keeping the language alive. French was considered the language of diplomacy until the end of World War 2, when it was overtaken by English, which had by then become the lingua franca of the world. The only reason it has remained relevant on an international scale is because there are so many African francophone countries who insist on using it in organizations such as the UN. Elsewhere in the world, French was once seen as the language of prestige and culture, but most people have pivoted towards English, which is more useful and less fussy about how it is spoken, or Chinese, as China is going to own everything by 2030 anyway. The French speakers of Africa, however, remember how their (mostly white) schoolteachers taught them to love their language, and they keep it alive despite France's best efforts to convince itself otherwise.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I mentioned Haiti and there's linguistic elitism there too. The population speaks Haitian Creole and have for a while, but until recently, schools educated them exclusively in French. For the most part, they still do.

Spain also considers itself the proper speakers of the Spanish language, which blows my Western Hemisphere mind. It's not even the most populous Spanish speaking country, that would be Mexico. Plus, there were multiple languages spoken in Spain (and still are), it's just that Castilian was the one that "won out." Considering one country to be the proper home of a language, as opposed to one that originated the language, is elitist.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 17, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I honestly feel sorry for GRRM at this point. I want to write speculative fiction novels too, but what happend with ASOIAF makes me scared to do a story I can't wrap up in a single book.

Also, finally beating Turnbuckle at level 20 was one of my proudest achievements playing this game, or at least it was before I saw that, for all his claims about being overleveled, GP appears to have beaten him at a lower level than me and with less difficulty. What the gently caress. Anyway, I used Immunize when the Gift Boxes showed up, guarded when they were set to open, then wailed on Turnbuckle when he was by himself.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 17, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Solitair posted:

I honestly feel sorry for GRRM at this point. I want to write speculative fiction novels too, but what happend with ASOIAF makes me scared to do a story I can't wrap up in a single book.

Yeah, or finish the series before getting it published. I mean, look at Stieg Larsson, having his later books reconstituted from notes...

The only Francophone part of Africa I've really spent any time studying is the Congo, and I'm guessing Xeroxed Belgian French is an even more frowned upon dialect?

When I first joined :yayclod:, my job was doing internal phone support at night, which covered our teams from Japan and Australia thru India and Europe. The only person who ever called and spoke no English whatsoever was from the Utrecht office. And he had a printer problem :gonk: Fortunately, as I was frantically trying to Google translate printer troubleshooting instructions (hahahahahahah plz kill me), he said something that sounded triumphant and shouted, "Merci!" and hung up. That's my brush with French language story thanks for reading.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Hey BioEnchanted, you're up! But I have no contact info for you. I'm grandma#3013 on Discord.

For other people:

Tomorrow's episode is boss. Like really good

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 19, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I really don't like this trend of each empathy story being more sad than the one before it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 14 is up!

Holy poo poo! It's SkippyGranola!

Skippy comes to guest star because I thought his stuff was great and wanted to make a new friend. And oh my god.

This episode. This episode.

One, this is probably the second best base episode next to goon school.

Second, anyone who doesn't make the same order at the restaurant is a terrible person.

Three, holy poo poo Jonathan Bear.

Commentary On

No Commentary

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
You'll never love anyone as much as he loves you!

YoU'lL nEvEr LoVe AnYoNe As MuCh As He LoVeS yOu!

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

I’m going to regret watching this before attempting to sleep. Here goes anyway.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

One thing I'm sad about is that they don't change the monster name when the Jack-in-the-Boxes reveal what they have in them. Swole guys should have been Jacked-in-the-Box, is what I'm saying.

...okay yes I see what's wrong with that now that I type it out, but Jimmy is eight so let's assume double entendre is not in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

where my nuggies at ghost

where my nuggies at

Seriously though, I'm really reluctant to send food back because I've heard too many stories of customers being absolute shitheads to people working in retail and I don't want to ruin anyone's day.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 20, 2019