Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

food court bailiff posted:

i think i like katana zero better than hotline miami

last three games i bought
- cadence of hyrule
- katana zero
- god's trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

False; Fallout New Vegas is the best computer video game ever and it wasn't an "indie" game.

Obsidian isn't a "AAA" company. they are like AA or maybe BBB

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

new vegas has an astoundingly bad map and the fact that i can recognize exactly why it is laid out like that on a logical level does not change the fact that it's just not much fun to explore

e: that isn't even to say it's a bad game, just as someone that plays(/ed, lol FO4 and 76) bethesda games for exploration and gives the finger to the main plot it was basically exactly the opposite of what i enjoy

This is a very well-reasoned complaint, and honestly another reason why I like Fallout: New Vegas and ultimately respect Fallout 4-- they're committed to what they want to be.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

i liked certain areas of the map (i remember one of the cities being particularly cool even though it was full of buildings that were just props despite having doors n poo poo) but the rest of the systems dragged it down too much for me, like the way the settlement system and events worked meant that everything felt way more "atomic" and divided up than a big chunk of wasteland with some points of interest scattered across it

i also wasn't a huge fan of how you basically trip over dogmeat and a set of power armor like ten minutes into the plot, it felt really pandering in a bad way, but i think i'm in a pretty huge minority there

Agreed all of that other stuff was bad, as was the story obviously. But I really just enjoyed wandering around and finding/shooting stuff in FO4. it's probably the worst game bethesda had done at that point, but tbh I think I had the most fun with it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

False; Fallout New Vegas is the best computer video game ever

lol it wasn't even a good game

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

last three games i bought
- cadence of hyrule
- katana zero
- god's trigger

I am amazed that Cadence of Hyrule exists.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Agreed all of that other stuff was bad, as was the story obviously. But I really just enjoyed wandering around and finding/shooting stuff in FO4. it's probably the worst game bethesda had done at that point, but tbh I think I had the most fun with it.

Same, but I lived in Boston at the time, what's your excuse :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

I am amazed that Cadence of Hyrule exists.

It might be the breaking point for me to get a Switch, honestly.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's pretty loving sweet but I did roll my eyes when I see "roguelike" in the game description.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Same. I spent 20 minutes looking for any hint that it'd come to PC

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's not as though I even really care that much to play it. Like I'd get it if I had a Switch but I'm not buying a Switch for it. It's just, how does it exist? Like did the creator blackmail a Nintendo executive?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Miyamoto just loves Necromancer ok

e: in all seriousness sometimes things just work out without any big complications, like Banjo-Kazooie being in Smash

e: Ryu and Cloud and them to a lesser extent too

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have no desire to play another Necromancer game but would consider throwing money at that Hyrule soundtrack.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Mario Maker 2 + Banjo finally convinced me to take the plunge... well that and coming into some slush money out of nowhere. Cadence is $25.00 though, which is too drat rich for my blood.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The only good fighting game is Street Fighter 2 Turbo Edition.

All fighters since are just flashy gimmicks.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

It's not as though I even really care that much to play it. Like I'd get it if I had a Switch but I'm not buying a Switch for it. It's just, how does it exist? Like did the creator blackmail a Nintendo executive?

zelda games have a weird loving history - there have been all sorts of weird zelda games from 3rd parties like the three that came out on the CD-I. Nintendo also let Capcom make FOUR different Zelda games. Another company named Vanpool made three DS games starring Tingle from Legend of Zelda. So this is the 11th non-Nintendo Zelda game so far.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

The only good fighting game is Street Fighter 2 Turbo Edition.

All fighters since are just flashy gimmicks.

i think you mean Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Duck and Cover posted:

Last I heard like half of Nintendo's senior management was addicted to Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Hot take: Metal Gear Rising is Shadow the Hedgehog but good.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Duck and Cover posted:

Well apparently, the Necrodancer devs went to Nintendo to ask if they could use Zelda stuff as maybe a Switch-exclusive DLC for the Switch version of the game, and when they looked at it the Nintendo execs were like "well why not just make a whole game"

To which the Necrodancer devs were like "uh yes please"

https://nintendoeverything.com/cadence-of-hyrule-devs-on-how-the-game-came-to-be-nintendos-supervision-and-more/

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

It's pretty loving sweet but I did roll my eyes when I see "roguelike" in the game description.

Well, Necrodancer is pretty straightforward as a rhythm-based roguelike. "Roguelike" seems a bit overused as a buzzword for "game with randomized elements" or "death resets progress", and Cadence of Hyrule is slightly less roguelike than Necrodancer was, but "roguelike" is definitely not an inaccurate description for Necrodancer, anyway.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 17, 2019

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
business world tour is alot of funs with friends its on steam

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Last I heard like half of Nintendo's senior management was addicted to Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Hot take: Metal Gear Rising is Shadow the Hedgehog but good.

shadow the hedgehog is shadow the hedgehog but good, without a trace of irony

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

GBA SP was the ugliest gaming device. Nothing screams "2003" like the SP did. It looked like something made by Ericsson or Motorola or something.

The original GBA is almost preferable even without the backlight, a much better design.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

GBA SP was the ugliest gaming device. Nothing screams "2003" like the SP did. It looked like something made by Ericsson or Motorola or something.

The original GBA is almost preferable even without the backlight, a much better design.

My popular opinion is you're wrong

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

This is the Unpopular Videogame Opinion of the week, IMHO

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
The Playstation class is a good value if you mod one. poo poo comes with 2 controllers. It's complete trash sans modding though

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ChazTurbo posted:

The Playstation class is a good value if you mod one. poo poo comes with 2 controllers. It's complete trash sans modding though

nah, if your going to pirate the games anyway you can get a cheap Android box + two bluetooth controllers to emulate PS1 for cheaper than a PS1 classic. and the android box will emulate other stuff without modding

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Shibawanko posted:

Yikes.

I doubt this is controversial to say, but if N had shipped the Advance with a goddamn proper backlight it would have made the SP unnecessary. Also the SP’s frontlight is poo poo. I’m mad it’s the best way to play original Game Boy games outside of being rooted to a television in some way, or concocting some homemade thing I am deeply uninterested in.

The Game Boy Micro however was a beautiful and inspired design.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

Yikes.

I doubt this is controversial to say, but if N had shipped the Advance with a goddamn proper backlight it would have made the SP unnecessary. Also the SP’s frontlight is poo poo. I’m mad it’s the best way to play original Game Boy games outside of being rooted to a television in some way, or concocting some homemade thing I am deeply uninterested in.

I'm not saying it isn't technically better, it clearly is with the bigger screen and backlight, just that it's ugly as gently caress while the original GBA is cute.

Another one: everyone makes fun of Nintendo for sticking to carts for the N64 and yeah it was a bad idea from a business perspective and while I think the N64 sucks rear end, the move to CD's on the whole was harmful to the quality of games at first since most developers did not really know how to use all of that storage space responsibly. Most early CD games used the storage space either for cinematic cutscenes, fancy UI's, overblown soundtracks, or giant messy textures, all of which are bad things.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 18, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rutibex posted:

nah, if your going to pirate the games anyway you can get a cheap Android box + two bluetooth controllers to emulate PS1 for cheaper than a PS1 classic. and the android box will emulate other stuff without modding

I don't want a lovely bluetooth knockoff controller, I want an actually good controller though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

I'm not saying it isn't technically better, it clearly is with the bigger screen and backlight, just that it's ugly as gently caress while the original GBA is cute.

It's way too narrow which is technically a technical flaw. But computer games are for kids I guess so I shouldn't complain.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Opinion which is also fact: emulation is always poo poo and people who go on about emulation are doodieheads.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't want a lovely bluetooth knockoff controller, I want an actually good controller though

you can use a ps3 controller or a wired Xbox controller too on an android box. ps1 classic controllers are not duel shock, it is not the best ps1 experiance.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Opinion which is also fact: emulation is always poo poo and people who go on about emulation are doodieheads.

:ssh:
PS Classic is an emulator

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rutibex posted:

:ssh:
PS Classic is an emulator

Yeah and it SUCKS so? (The emulation bit sucks. I'm sure the controllers are fine.)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Counterpoint: Pokemon on an emulator sped up to 300% is the only bearable way to play base-style Pokemon and anyone over the age of 14 who played through a full base game normally has brain worms.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Counterpoint: Pokemon on an emulator sped up to 300% is the only bearable way to play base-style Pokemon and anyone over the age of 14 who played through a full base game normally has brain worms.

Anyone over the age of 12 playing any kind of Pokemon in any way is a loving weirdo. Pokemon is the Star Trek of anime.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

Yikes.

They released a 2nd-gen SP with a proper backlight.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah I'm with you, yeah the thought of having every snes and gameboy game on a portable device is cool but im never ever going to play a gameboy game for more than 2 minutes unless its Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anyone over the age of 12 playing any kind of Pokemon in any way is a loving weirdo. Pokemon is the Star Trek of anime.

Interestingly this is the schadenfreude regarding whatever latest bullshit is going on. Apparently in the newest game you can't import all the old Pokemon from prior games, which is riling fans the gently caress up. This is the last straw in over a decade of apparently poor decisions Game Freak has made-- poor coding, discarding features from one game to the next, subpar graphics, etc. --and the hardcore community will not have it no sir.

It never once occurred to them that everything about Pokemon is designed against the hardcore community and has been this entire time. These are nerds who have gotten so used to franchises catering to their increasing manchild absurdity that it never once occurred to them that maybe Pokemon is just a product and under no obligation to care about them. Maybe these games really are just "baby's first RPG" for 12 year-olds and casual nostalgics, and while Nintendo is happy to take your money if you want to farm EVs and IVs from one generation to the next that's not how these products are designed or meant to be played. For gently caress's sake these games are still designed that you can steamroll every Gym and Elite Four member with your starter.

"Oh but Detective Pikachu and Pokemon Go and Let's Go Evee..."

Those are for 25-35 year-old yuppies who remember Pokemon as children, just spat out their first crotch-goblin, to get them to keep some Pokemon poo poo around the house so when little Sam and Suzy are older they're primed to recognize it as a brand. The products themselves are deliberately stripped-down, unchallenging piddle that a new parent could conceivably pop on a few times in a sleep-deprived haze and still win a round or two. They're not a celebration of you, the 30-something who is on Generation 8 and still hasn't picked up on the fact that Pokemon doesn't and never did care about you playing past the age when you were supposed to start having sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Another one: everyone makes fun of Nintendo for sticking to carts for the N64 and yeah it was a bad idea from a business perspective and while I think the N64 sucks rear end, the move to CD's on the whole was harmful to the quality of games at first since most developers did not really know how to use all of that storage space responsibly. Most early CD games used the storage space either for cinematic cutscenes, fancy UI's, overblown soundtracks, or giant messy textures, all of which are bad things.

Nah the 10-minute summon animations in Final Fantasy 7 were awesome the first time