Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Gripweed posted:

In Pokemon Moon, will I ever get a chance to walk more than ten steps without triggering a custcene? Or is that just how the game is all the way through?

It gets a bit better after the first island. The tutorial is stupid long and hand holdy. If you want more of the same (please don't) you should try Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Eox posted:

I hear gigantamax Diggersby hangs dong.

AND WHY NOT,

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's a shame Necrozma probably won't be in S/S , it was cool having a Final Fantasy boss on my team.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

wynaut is a baby!!!!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Today's list of Pokemon who are going to be taken out the back and shot:

- all Incense babies and their families
- ESPECIALLY Sudowoodo and Bonsly. People keep calling Bonsly Bongsly and putting it on Wonder Trade and this is not good for Nintendo's family friendly image. Also no one can agree on how to pronounce Sudowoodo
- Jynx and Porygon because they are naughty as well as all the Nids. People keep complaining about Nids being two separate evolutionary lines and why hasn't this been fixed so all six of them are getting executed for their crimes. Other than this all G1 Pokemon are present. Zubat doubly so
- every fire type starter. No one can complain about too many Fire/Fighting types if Scorbunny's stage 3 is the only one
- Maractus

Budew's already confirmed you fool. (thank christ) But you're probably right about Maractus. :(

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

It's a shame Necrozma probably won't be in S/S , it was cool having a Final Fantasy boss on my team.

Incidentally, they should get a bit more selective with legendary themes. We have both a rainbow and a prism legendary, a time and time travel legendary, at least three different kinds of moon legendary, and countless sea spirits.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The sea thing makes sense because the sea is full of hosed up things.

Also Necrozma isn't a FF boss. It's an EVA unit. Or an Angel. Regardless, it's definitely from Evangelion. Pokemon Sun/Moon: You Can (Not) Skip Cutscene.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Given how many scary things with tentacles live in the oceans, it's a wonder anyone steps foot in the water

Frillish's PokeDex entry literally states how it likes to poisons and drown people!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Vinylshadow posted:

Given how many scary things with tentacles live in the oceans, it's a wonder anyone steps foot in the water

Frillish's PokeDex entry literally states how it likes to poisons and drown people!

You just need to quickly reach it with the power of friendship before the lack of oxygen kills your braincells.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Vinylshadow posted:

Nowhere is safe. The balloon ghost like to kidnap kids and drop them out of the sky.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Today's list of Pokemon who are going to be taken out the back and shot:

- all Incense babies and their families
- ESPECIALLY Sudowoodo and Bonsly. People keep calling Bonsly Bongsly and putting it on Wonder Trade and this is not good for Nintendo's family friendly image. Also no one can agree on how to pronounce Sudowoodo
- Jynx and Porygon because they are naughty as well as all the Nids. People keep complaining about Nids being two separate evolutionary lines and why hasn't this been fixed so all six of them are getting executed for their crimes. Other than this all G1 Pokemon are present. Zubat doubly so
- every fire type starter. No one can complain about too many Fire/Fighting types if Scorbunny's stage 3 is the only one
- Maractus

This is extremely hosed up, and how dare you.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
As someone who hasn't played pokemon since red, I don't fully understand what is happening and why it is bad. Can someone dumb it down for a person who doesn't know anything past gen 1?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Skyarb posted:

As someone who hasn't played pokemon since red, I don't fully understand what is happening and why it is bad. Can someone dumb it down for a person who doesn't know anything past gen 1?

Basically since Ruby and Sapphire, every Pokemon game had some way to transfer your old Pokemon to the new games. Pokemon Sword and Shield will not allow this unless that Pokemon is already in the regional Pokedex in the game. People are angry not just because you can't use your old Pokemon, but Game Freak has seemingly made significant efforts to not run into this problem (future-proofed models, Pokemon Bank/Home), before suddenly giving up on having every Pokemon in a Pokemon game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Skyarb posted:

There's been 7 generations, totaling in over 800 Pokemon. On all generations (with the exception of the original GB games to the 3rd generation), you have been able to transfer your old mons forward to every new game, even across complete different systems. For the 8th generation, they decided to get rid of 50% of all mons, "because it was too much work". They did so after announcing a couple days before a new cloud service to replace their already existing and paid cloud service that did this thing. People got pissed off.

And then, to make matters worse, they did a $20 price hike on the game vs the last 3DS one, while this new game is still using the same 3DS engine with all its many flaws, and you need to pay to battle and trade online (Nintendo's Switch online service), so there's a lot more money involved and yet it's not being invested into the game development. They are not switching engines or hiring proper animators or engineers, instead it's seemingly the same people who still think it's the 90's and they are coding on an 8-bit device, so the console that has Xenoblade 2, Witcher 3, Mario Odyssey, has a first party game that is for all purposes an up-res'd 3DS title. And this also at a time when Game Freak established that their priority is their own new IP called Home Town, so the B-team is apparently all that's left to work on the newer Pokemon games.

It's like a bunch of problems that alone probably wouldn't be an issue, but put everything together and people are pissed.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 16, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Saoshyant posted:

And this also at a time when Game Freak established that their priority is their own new IP called Home

Town

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Right. It's the cloud service that's called Home.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Dias posted:

The sea thing makes sense because the sea is full of hosed up things.

Also Necrozma isn't a FF boss. It's an EVA unit. Or an Angel. Regardless, it's definitely from Evangelion. Pokemon Sun/Moon: You Can (Not) Skip Cutscene.

you can (not) catch em all

All of the Ultra Beasts are basically Angels, to the point where I just straight up started nicknaming them in kind. It'd be great if these games had some harder continuity again for a change, so we could get some follow up to the Ultra Beast stuff. Instead of Dynamax, have Galar forms for Ultra Beasts that made their way there and adapted! Mega Ultra Beasts! Start crossing over the gimmicks so that they can produce unique stuff, kinda like how Ultra Necrozma functioned similarly to Mega Rayquaza. That stuff is cool!

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 16, 2019

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

For the 8th generation, they decided to get rid of 50% of all mons, "because it was too much work".

The amount hasn't been confirmed and this wasn't the reason given at all.

Edit: There's a lot else to unpack in that post, but short version is people are upset.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Galar Dex will be composed of all previous Pokemon except Jynx.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Something that I find interesting in all this is, whether it’s true or not, Town is quickly becoming known as the project Game Freak really cares about and is screwing over Pokémon for. Even if people cave and buy Sword/Shield despite all the outcry, won’t this eventually extend to a boycott of Town? After all, it’s a lot easier to convince people not to buy something they’ve never heard of. Especially if that game can conveniently be held as responsible for loving over their favorite series, whether it deserves that mantle or not.

They’re shooting their new IP in the dick before it can stand on its own. Nobody wins!

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
What the gently caress is Town?????

It's a huge bummer that the UBs are definitely some of the first on the chopping block because they're honestly some of my favorite designs in the whole series. We need more Pokémon that look super alien.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

LightningSquid posted:

What the gently caress is Town?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxj6ZVwYZ4Y

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

This looks like it could be a f2p MMO I played when I was in middle school

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LightningSquid posted:

This looks like it could be a f2p MMO I played when I was in middle school

agreed, it looks cool as hell

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Panic Restaurant posted:

Something that I find interesting in all this is, whether its true or not, Town is quickly becoming known as the project Game Freak really cares about and is screwing over Pokmon for. Even if people cave and buy Sword/Shield despite all the outcry, wont this eventually extend to a boycott of Town? After all, its a lot easier to convince people not to buy something theyve never heard of. Especially if that game can conveniently be held as responsible for loving over their favorite series, whether it deserves that mantle or not.

Theyre shooting their new IP in the dick before it can stand on its own. Nobody wins!

People were always gonna blame whichever faults SwSh have on that game, so...

Also no one is gonna boycott SwSh, it's gonna be like that screencap of a Steam "boycott CoD" group.

ReverseStratum
Jan 20, 2019

Sideshow.
I would gladly sacrifice phione's worthless existence for all the other pokemon to return. It's so unremarkable no one would even notice it's gone.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

The Golden Gael posted:

you can (not) catch em all

thread title

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ReverseStratum posted:

I would gladly sacrifice phione's worthless existence for all the other pokemon to return. It's so unremarkable no one would even notice it's gone.

Replace that with ledyba.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
People should make the things they want to make. If Gamefreak wants to take a long shot on some new ip all power to them, I'm always down for weird rpgs. It's not like they need to try for pokemon to sell millions.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Replace that with ledyba.

Ledyba is a cool ladybug, if very bad stat-wise. Phione is just a worse Manaphy? I genuinely have no idea why it exists

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Phione exists for kids who have poo poo parents constantly bemoaning them for not being good enough. Like them, Phione will never be anything of worth and its parent is always there to remind us why that is. It's a powerful metaphor and I for one am glad Game Freak thought that far ahead, creating a symbol for every millennial on burnout.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/sifyro/status/1140128118516178944

I wish this were real

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/uhgoodpjm/status/1138914300838522880

But no, they're not adjusting/improving old moves at all

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This reminds me that the last Mystery Dungeon had every Pokemon in it that existed at the time, lol

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

https://twitter.com/uhgoodpjm/status/1138914300838522880

But no, they're not adjusting/improving old moves at all

I mean, now it disappears six feet away from the other pokemon instead of ten.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

Dias posted:

Also no one is gonna boycott SwSh, it's gonna be like that screencap of a Steam "boycott CoD" group.

Nah, I'm not buying it unless they announce a post-release patch/DLC for the missing Pokémon. I'm not interested in paying $360+ to split up my shiny collection.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LightningSquid posted:

Nah, I'm not buying it unless they announce a post-release patch/DLC for the missing Pokémon. I'm not interested in paying $360+ to split up my shiny collection.

drat, switch games are expensive where you live

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

drat, switch games are expensive where you live

They’re not wrong. I don’t own a switch and Pokemon was gonna be the only reason I’d get one too.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

They really should've pushed the game back instead of rushing it out for the yearly release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
There haven't been any games I really wanted on the Switch yet so I was finally gonna get one for SwSh :(