Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Ys 8 at some point late in the game has a sidequest to help someone find a keepsake from their friend that's hopefully somewhere on the island. After finding it I got curious and loaded an older save before the quest was even available, and the keepsake could be seen all the way back then if you looked closely. Very cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Before going to Helheim he even almost apologises to Hera, which Kratos never does.

The biggest thing I hate about Dad of Boy is this, that people act like it's some gigantic upheaval of Kratos' character.

He apologizes and begs for forgiveness from a vision of his wife in God of War 2. His entire character arc from the moment he was introduced in 1 is about how he knows he's a broken shell of a man and works for the gods to earn his redemption. He's shown to care for his daughter and first wife in Chains of Olympus and Ascension. In Chains of Olympus, he's reunited with Calliope (presumably, "Girl.") in Elysium briefly before he's forced to push her away and return to his tortured existence as a slave of the gods.

Almost nothing in 4 is a new take except they rammed the GOSH ITS TOUGH TO BE A DAD to the forefront (because the game director is a new dad).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Byzantine posted:

The biggest thing I hate about Dad of Boy is this, that people act like it's some gigantic upheaval of Kratos' character.

He apologizes and begs for forgiveness from a vision of his wife in God of War 2. His entire character arc from the moment he was introduced in 1 is about how he knows he's a broken shell of a man and works for the gods to earn his redemption. He's shown to care for his daughter and first wife in Chains of Olympus and Ascension. In Chains of Olympus, he's reunited with Calliope (presumably, "Girl.") in Elysium briefly before he's forced to push her away and return to his tortured existence as a slave of the gods.

Almost nothing in 4 is a new take except they rammed the GOSH ITS TOUGH TO BE A DAD to the forefront (because the game director is a new dad).

Ah, I only played the first game and this one so I didn't know he got better between. All I'd heard was all the people he randomly murders for literally no reason like the woman he uses as an actual door-stop in 3. i've only heard about him at his worst basically.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Kratos got flanderized really bad in the PS3 era so by comparison he's positively complex.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Jun 15, 2019

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Ah, I only played the first game and this one so I didn't know he got better between. All I'd heard was all the people he randomly murders for literally no reason like the woman he uses as an actual door-stop in 3. i've only heard about him at his worst basically.

That's basically the point, he gets worse and worse over the course of the games because he's profoundly hosed up, fully aware of how hosed up he is, and also unable to escape his situation because he lives in Greek mythology so even if he kills himself he just goes to Hades and then gets tortured forever in Tartarus for being so hosed up.

Also sorry about that, I didn't mean to call you specifically out, it's just something of a sore spot as a total fan of the Greek games who's watched them get constantly poo poo on since 4 came out because Kratos had trouble putting his hand on his son's shoulder so NOW the games are deep and mature and fatherhood and boy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
God of War fun games, bad story, ignore story, enjoy kill monsterses, get embarass banging ladies for orbs.

I love the fact I grew a horrifying puppy abomination using juice I squeezed out of a pimple on my Warframe's neck. His name is Scrambles and he is my best friend.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BioEnchanted posted:

Being fair, he doesn't intentionally use her as a doorstop, he just tells her to hold this extremely huge spinning lever thing that she barely manages to keep held up, and then she gets squashed by it the second you get through the door and she's off camera.

Still a dick move though. :v:

e: And a PYF thing, yeah the sex minigames are dumb, but GoW 3's off-screen "bone so hard that the attendants get turned on and have at it too" scene was hilarious.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Kratos only ever cares for his family. Sure, that scene in Chains when he has to push away his family to save the world is a really awesome scene, but it's in a series where he absolutely will kill anyone that gets in his way. After Chains of Olympus, which takes place before the original God of War, Kratos is a child who lives only for revenge. He is still a shell of a man, but instead of trying to fix this aspect of himself he takes it out on others while being trapped in the memory of his past. Dad of War is the first one that shows him actually trying to repair his life, and grow beyond what he used to be.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

God of War is so fuckin good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Byzantine posted:

I don't really agree with this at all and I think it's kinda crappy to jump down his throat with your opinion. The difference between GoW original and GoW New is that Kratos barely had any interactions with people he wasn't about to murder or had already murdered. There was a tragedy there but it was due to his own rage and violence and ego that he both metaphorically and literally cut off connections with everyone who could be his family. And that's fine, but it means that within the original game Kratos is presented at 97% Murder, 3% "scene where he is kind of sad." There are like three scenes where Kratos has genuine emotion besides rage/being a poo poo/sulking over the course of six games because he's not actually allowed to have any meaningful interaction with anyone due to being toxic masculinity given flesh.

The major difference in the new game is that Kratos spends the vast majority of the game having to interact with other characters in a way that isn't Kill or gently caress and in doing so it actually forces him to actually respond differently to things. It isn't just that he has to be a dad (though of course that's a major part of it) but that Kratos actually has to deal with a lot of things that get glossed over in the original series.

The clearest example of this (to go on topic) is the difference between Faye and Lysandra. Lysandra wasn't a character, she was a McGuffin. She was barely acknowledged except to let Kratos be sad about his dead wife. Faye falls into the same role (dead wife) except throughout the game you've given a lot of contextual clues as to exactly why someone like Kratos would care so much about Faye without ever actually meeting the character. She is spoke of with utmost respect by everyone Kratos meets and when Kratos talks about her himself you get a genuine idea of why she is a good match for him for reasons beyond "Kratos sad because wife dead."

They're two characters who fill basically the exact same role in Kratos' life except one is there so Kratos has a reason to be angry over dead waifu and the other is established to have an entire life outside of Kratos and the journey of the game is a journey exploring her life through the two people she left behind.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Kratos tossing that sea captain down the Hydra’s gullet in the first game was probably him at his most pointlessly spiteful, even if he did crueler things in later games.

Thread content: The upcoming Spiral Mountain stage for Smash Bros: Ultimate has a 1-up item floating above Banjo’s chimney in the distance, just where it was in Banjo Kazooie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think something I really like with Kratos' character is that he gets into the side-quests a little despite himself. Like when trying to find the dwarven alchemist, he's initially just "I DON'T DO FAVOURS FOR DWARVES!" but by the middle of the dungeon his tune has changed to "No ring..." "So you do care? :smug:" "No, I just noticed that he had no ring while looting his body, boy, that's all!" He's trying to hard to be aloof. It also says a lot about him that he lets the dwarves mess with his axe, he's willing to trust them with "his" stuff. I also like his latest interaction where one of them offers to come along and he just responds with "What you do here, is enough." That's very close to an actual thank you.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really agree with this at all and I think it's kinda crappy to jump down his throat with your opinion.

It absolutely was and I'm sorry for that. It's just a bit of a raw nerve after a year of "God of War is so good and mature now that it's about learning to be a dad!".

quote:

There was a tragedy there but it was due to his own rage and violence and ego

Yeah, it's a Greek tragedy. Just like Achilles raging and sulking and driving to his own destruction.

(On that line, Ares was the God of Manhood, the source of courage and manliness, so since Kratos took that job at the end of 1, he's literally toxic masculinity.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Byzantine posted:

(On that line, Ares was the God of Manhood, the source of courage and manliness, so since Kratos took that job at the end of 1, he's literally toxic masculinity.)

The Greeks also thought Ares was a dumb brute - he was the darker side of warfare. Athena was the much more popular war deity in Greece. It was Rome that elevated Ares to an especially prominent and powerful deity while they relegated Athena to being the goddess of crafts and home labor.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cythereal posted:

The Greeks also thought Ares was a dumb brute - he was the darker side of warfare. Athena was the much more popular war deity in Greece. It was Rome that elevated Ares to an especially prominent and powerful deity while they relegated Athena to being the goddess of crafts and home labor.

From Dark Avengers Ares

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dr Christmas posted:

Kratos tossing that sea captain down the Hydra’s gullet in the first game was probably him at his most pointlessly spiteful, even if he did crueler things in later games.

Hadn't the captain locked up the other passengers in a sinking ship? I seem to recall he'd done something that made him an acceptable target.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

From Dark Avengers Ares

Well at least he's honest about it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I appreciate about God of War's game design is how liberal the checkpoints are. It even checkpoints partway through boss fights, so there have been fights where I died, respawned and the boss still only had 1/3rd of it's health left, which is nice. Also the elevator section and escape from Helheim's second visit having mid-section checkpoints was really nice.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The Greeks also thought Ares was a dumb brute - he was the darker side of warfare.

Depends on which greeks you're talking about. The spartans loving loved Ares so much that they made a statue of him chains, symbolizing that they chained his spirit to Sparta.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Plus most of what we know about the ancient Greeks is more specifically about Athenians, who had their own waifu goddess of war. How Greeks who weren't part of her favourite city felt about Ares is less represented.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A little thing I like is that Atreus comments on earlier areas - I was exploring (which is a pain in the rear end because you have to run back to the nearest door, and most of the areas end up cut off from each other because the chasm outside the house is somehow repaired now so you can't run from there to the wildwood, and all the pillars are overgrown and cannot be lifted anymore) and on returning to the ruin where Atreus killed a reaver and freaked out, he just said "Can we... get out of here...?" Even after all the cool poo poo we just did, that moment still eats at him. I also like that enemies don't respawn - you get new encounters, and not nearly as many of them, but they are stronger.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

I know it's kinda the general conceit of the game/genre, but I played a few minutes of Doom (2016). and coming off a game that had that stupid you-lose-accuracy-while-doing-anything mechanic in it, it's refreshing as gently caress that I can get a shotgun, close to short range, and actually kill the demon I'm firing at.

In other games I've played lately, it feels like I'd get a shotgun, close to short range, and then miss with half the shells because you had the audacity to run a little bit before firing.

Yeah, while everybody else is trying to be all like "it's realistic! You have to actually aim properly and it's hard to do that while on the move!" Doom knows exactly what it is and is like YOU'RE GOD DAMNED RIGHT YOU CAN HIP FIRE A SHOT GUN WITH NEAR PERFECT ACCURACY WHILE RUNNING YOU'RE THE GOD DAMNED DOOM SLAYER! HELL YEAH! RIP AND TEAR! HERE'S A MACHINE GUN TOO! NOW YOU CAN HAVE A BFG BECAUSE OF loving COURSE YOU CAN! RIP AND TEAR, YO! RIP AND loving TEAR!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You can make realistic gun physics fun, but a lot of games fall into a boring slurry where every gun more powerful than a pop gun has such uncontrollable recoil that it'll surely grind the protagonist's bones to dust by the end of the game and the result is that instead of firing bullets at the thing you point at, guns actually fire a random assortment of bullets at distinctly 45 degree angles around the target.

Unless of course you stop moving, go prone, hold your breath, unfold the bipod, and clutch onto the gun for dear life. Then you can blow the testicles off a fly half-way across the planet.

And even then only on the first shot.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I didn't use shotguns in RDR2 for a good part of the game because I expected them to be even worse than the usual gaming shotgun due to being a 100 years ago but they turned out the pretty great weapons with sharp accuracy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of guns, Mothergunship lets you make your own guns by just snapping various components together. There are only two rules: the component has to physically fit, and all gun barrels must face forwards.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time: I've been pleasantly surprised by the generosity and camaraderie the other apprentices of the explorer's guild has shown to me. Last night, even though Chatot punished us for our failure and made both Chikorita and I go without dinner, the senior apprentices all saved a portion of their food for us to eat in the morning! Such altruism is all too rare in human workplaces.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Post credits scene in Mafia 3 just made me hoot and holler at my tv in a way I only recently have at John Wick scenes, just incredible

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There's absolutely no reason for any of that to happen, but they did it anyway and it was loving great

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Elfface posted:

Plus most of what we know about the ancient Greeks is more specifically about Athenians, who had their own waifu goddess of war. How Greeks who weren't part of her favourite city felt about Ares is less represented.

Well, even in the Iliad, there's a bit where Zeus tells Ares that he's the worst god ever and if he wasn't Zeus' son, he wouldn't even be allowed on Olympus. So it does seem like Sparta was the outlier, not Athens, and that the standard Greek position was pretty much 'violent idiot who nobody likes'.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

So basically, old Kratos = Ares, New Kratos = Athena. Because he's more tactical when it comes to large enemies and tries initially to deescalate the situation with the Tattooed Man, only fighting when he fails.

also I like that Kratos has moments of actually talking to Atreus instead of having to have stuff dragged out of him in incidental dialog, like when Atreus is talking about responsibility during the undead crew sidequest and he responds not by shutting him down with a "Remain focused boy" but actually engages him by asking him if he fears responsibility. That and him and Atreus discussing Atreus' anger with him during the sidequest with the dead reavers was cool. It's a strong contrast from him trying to shut down Atreus' anger by sounding tough in the aftermath of Alfheim

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Jun 17, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BioEnchanted posted:

So basically, old Kratos = Ares, New Kratos = Athena. Because he's more tactical when it comes to large enemies and tries initially to deescalate the situation with the Tattooed Man, only fighting when he fails.

also I like that Kratos has moments of actually talking to Atreus instead of having to have stuff dragged out of him in incidental dialog, like when Atreus is talking about responsibility during the undead crew sidequest and he responds not by shutting him down with a "Remain focused boy" but actually engages him by asking him if he fears responsibility. That and him and Atreus discussing Atreus' anger with him during the sidequest with the dead reavers was cool. It's a strong contrast from him trying to shut down Atreus' anger by sounding tough in the aftermath of Alfheim

I love the meta moment in Alfheim when Atreus is like "um dad this puzzle is too hard let's just google it maybe?" and Kratos is like "BOY let me THINK." And sure enough, it's totally solvable with just a little trial and error. I like how it flips the script on every annoying sidekick character who just blurts out the answer to the puzzle rooms the second you get stuck.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Writing the sidequests must have been an enormous amount of work because their dialog has to sound natural for the characters but who the characters are and how they speak to each other changes over the course of the game. I've never actually checked but I've always wondered if there are different dialog variants showing different levels of camaraderie that it chooses between depending on when you do them. Or if they're just written and performed with enough ambiguity that it's never jarring.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Samuringa posted:

I didn't use shotguns in RDR2 for a good part of the game because I expected them to be even worse than the usual gaming shotgun due to being a 100 years ago but they turned out the pretty great weapons with sharp accuracy.

once i got the pump shotgun i never used another weapon unless the game forced me to. i was so blown away they made a gaming shotgun that was accurate from more than 3 feet away

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

haveblue posted:

Writing the sidequests must have been an enormous amount of work because their dialog has to sound natural for the characters but who the characters are and how they speak to each other changes over the course of the game. I've never actually checked but I've always wondered if there are different dialog variants showing different levels of camaraderie that it chooses between depending on when you do them. Or if they're just written and performed with enough ambiguity that it's never jarring.

Apologies if this has already been posted here, but Horizon Zero Dawn does exactly this. It's pretty neat, although I do wonder how much it helps the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exALfaUEXns

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nude posted:

Apologies if this has already been posted here, but Horizon Zero Dawn does exactly this. It's pretty neat, although I do wonder how much it helps the game.

I find it extremely obvious which games practice dynamic dialogue. On one hand you have the Arkham games where the Riddler or Joker have special dialogue to chew you out for taking an alternate path, and Geralt from the Witcher 3 will mention if he investigated before contacting the quest-giver. On the other hand you have games made by a dozen separate studios and the script is set in stone. The amount of base-clearing in Far Cry games is seldom mentioned in the main plot, and I can't resist bringing up the notorious Horatio from Watch Dogs 2 .

I like games which allow you to deviate from the script with flexible gameplay while still having a controlling hand on the narrative. Prey is a superior version of System Shock 2 that has a ton of subtle branching in its narrative that isn't signposted. Early on you meet a robotic quest-giver called January who guides you for the rest of the game. Only you can destroy them the first time you meet them. At one point January destroys a rival called December, but if January is in pieces then December will guide you although you can destroy them as well. There's a poo poo-ton of stuff you can do early without prompting like disabling your tracking collar, finding that wedding ring, fetching that medicine, and sealing those hull breaches.

If a game has no branching in it's story then it helps if the gameplay is tight and consistent. At one point in Resident Evil 2 you play as Ada whose segment ends with her getting injured in a cutscene. At no point when you play her does she pick up any healing items which could have helped. She doesn't have a knife either because Leon advises her to use one much later in RE4.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I love that every game developer is contractually obligated to have any silenced shotgun sound like Anton Chigurh's shotgun

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nude posted:

Horizon takes it a step further with the DLC and changes not only dialogue in the new area based on where you are in the main story, but retroactively adds dialogue back into the main campaign so that Aloy will acknowledge what she's learned from the Frozen Wilds.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I find it extremely obvious which games practice dynamic dialogue. On one hand you have the Arkham games where the Riddler or Joker have special dialogue to chew you out for taking an alternate path, and Geralt from the Witcher 3 will mention if he investigated before contacting the quest-giver. On the other hand you have games made by a dozen separate studios and the script is set in stone. The amount of base-clearing in Far Cry games is seldom mentioned in the main plot, and I can't resist bringing up the notorious Horatio from Watch Dogs 2 .

I was playing The Cave yesterday and there's a level where you have to steal a dragon's treasure, followed by the dragon escaping because you "left the gate open". Except I got the treasure without ever opening the gate, but the game never acknowledges that. :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just wanted to check, in God of War, I'm on my way to (point of no return)Jormungandr to get Mimir's other eye. My equipment has me at level 6, is that good for endgame, or slightly too low? Kind of just want to see the ending of the game at this point, it's a long one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Just wanted to check, in God of War, I'm on my way to (point of no return)Jormungandr to get Mimir's other eye. My equipment has me at level 6, is that good for endgame, or slightly too low? Kind of just want to see the ending of the game at this point, it's a long one.

It's fine, enjoy a great ending