Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Yeah, it's pretty neat.

Speaking about VTES, last week I learned how to play the game. Great system, the table dynamics it generates are amazing, but getting four or five nerds to sit in the same table for two hours is a pain the rear end.

This was always my experience as well.

The big issue with V:TES is that it deeply rewards complete investment in the game and it is very difficult to be a 'casual' V:TES player. Like a friend can toss you a deck they made, sure, but decks are so complicated that often that's not sufficient to get into the game. In Magic, if I don't really 'get' the game I'll play with a pro and get walloped in 5-10 minutes. In V:TES, I can sit in a multiplayer game for two hours just slowly dying inside because my deck just doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mendrian posted:

The big issue with V:TES is that it deeply rewards complete investment in the game and it is very difficult to be a 'casual' V:TES player. Like a friend can toss you a deck they made, sure, but decks are so complicated that often that's not sufficient to get into the game. In Magic, if I don't really 'get' the game I'll play with a pro and get walloped in 5-10 minutes. In V:TES, I can sit in a multiplayer game for two hours just slowly dying inside because my deck just doesn't work.

It sounds like this might benefit greatly from a digital implementation? Tabletop is always going to be best for card games, but a digital version could help people get into it without having to schedule IRL meetups?
I realize that this discussion will never have any impact on the actual thing, but, I'm curious about VTES and am also pretty sure I will never play it in the absence of a digital version.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mendrian posted:

Agreed, the time investment is a big hurdle, like any 4+ multiplayer board games. I'm trying to set up a game for this weekend and it's been difficult, to say the least. Since the game is rising again in popularity,at least in Europe, due to being back to print, I hope more new people will become interested and jump into it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

It sounds like this might benefit greatly from a digital implementation? Tabletop is always going to be best for card games, but a digital version could help people get into it without having to schedule IRL meetups?
I realize that this discussion will never have any impact on the actual thing, but, I'm curious about VTES and am also pretty sure I will never play it in the absence of a digital version.

It would be amazing if Paradox licensed it to receive the MTG Arena treatment, but it will probably never happen. Anyway, right now you have two ways to play it digitally, Jyhad Online (asynchronic, similar to play by post ) or the VTES module for LackeyCCG. I've seen videos of the later on youtube and doesn't seem too bad.

You can also check Vekn.net and see if there's a Prince or any other organized group in your area, maybe you'll get lucky.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I’ve demoed VTES at my local GG, and it was well received, but the depth required to play it was simply insurmountable to a bunch of invested Magic players. It was pretty upsetting to see them all hype playing it, but the moment we stopped none of them were willing to buy and just went back to playing Commander.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mage time travel Shifting Sands question!

I thought the 'until' in this statement means that you need your time-travel duration to last all the way back to the present, as a softcap. If your duration doesn't go all the way to the present, then you can explore 'alternate outcomes' without having your changes stick.

But I've also heard from some people that that's not necessary. If your 'present' is scene 3, and you jump back to the start of scene 1, then you can back scene 1 changes and then pop back, and scene 2 will 'fill in the blanks'.

If that's the case instead... who is the 'you' in scene 2? Whose memories do they have?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's very telling that the lead at the time of development thought 1st edition was the ultimate vampire edition. I also feel like the the person doing the heavy lifting on writing, Ken Hite, making a game about spec. ops and spies killing vampires and writing the Cainite Heresy for Dark Ages had some impact too. Objectively speaking, there's definitely some good ideas and changes in there but there are a lot of bad ones and it's a mess. It's just a badly formatted and designed book too that is full of questionable choices in everything.

Back in the old days when bogged down with some medical issues and what the Malkavian would call a slightly "hypomanic" creative outburst I tried to get interest from my friends in a game that basically was about the rise of authoritarian and eventually fascist (Francisco Franco & Augusto Pinochet, no more natsoc than Wernher von Braun) due to the rising human threat. The reason humans all started getting their poo poo together? Following this even on September 11th, 2001 mortals just loving flip out in ways that are hard to predict and at a time when everyone is watching each other for anything looking weird. The USA PATRIOT Act immediately started to raise fears for basically humans accidentally enacting and forming the greatest intelligence and investigatory weapon to date. It really ramps up with the Snowden era and ability to drone strike people, but from the start they are just scared people keeping tabs on everything.

Specifically, Currency Transaction Report (CTR) are filled if you deal in cash transactions totaling over just $10,000 a day. If avoiding it, a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) is filed because our freedom is just too much to put at stake. Customer Identification Program (CIP) and Know Your Customer policies are avoidable but just a pain. The real issue isn't even that Dominate can't fix these problems, since if you catch them before they go to the data vault they're fine, it's the additional burden on the system and now immediate need to cow the Sabbat before they destroy the Masquerade (pretty nice since a good Junta needs a legitimate forever war). So this is to establish on record that I used the phrase "a level of danger not seen since the inquisition" and therefore am keeping a good old "crazy paranoid person lawsuit" in my back pocket.

[br]

Jokes aside, there are some cool ideas in the game which I think should naturally be handled better as the company gains more experience or just the game goes in another direction. I'm fine with that, since there seems to be a lot of people who feel empowered or that this continues the strong themes of social justice or various things I've read in reviews. Largely the comparison of the Camarilla to the United Nations and traveling the world to “keep the peace” while "answering to nameless masters" seems to set a tone I'm less interested in since the whole pawns in banking and Congress and being "one percent of the one percent" who also now "cling to their faiths like straws in a
storm". Which is a shame, because largely those are all themes present in the original setting and now just made so much more limiting for what is meant to be a storyteller's kit type game (which I understand can be ignored, its more a comment on writing). Making the Primogen basically the Prince's small council removes another large degree of adversarial power dynamics, it largely seems like a game that has boiled down into Camarilla Bad vs. Anarch Good. There is great stress to holding onto feudalism or capitalism as inherently ingrained in the Camarilla, yet the Justicars have a term limit. This could always be attributed to the rising power of ancillae with newer political views putting pressure out their.

It's just the lacking of irony in how it talks about the Camarilla's moral code bringing about their attitude that they are better than all other Kindred before immediately going on a tangent about abortion law and capital punishment, or uses the slang term banker, or in my favorite names a living Pope as bringing back to order the Catholic Mujahideen. I’m for/against all those things, but something about seeing the game be written so limited and tied to present time (not an enjoyable time) just kind of makes it feel like self-gratifying escapist power fantasies that always is telling me about how its about brooding inevitability of destroying all you know.

There’s been definite value in reading it and ideas worth using, so I consider it time and money well spent. Especially since I tracked down that Chechnya section, which was something to read and now I will try to stifle criticism of what I’m sure was immediately polarizing.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
V5 is good and fun to play

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
V5 crammed like two editions of metaplot into one corebook because its devs made the same mistake as MET:VtM and assumed they needed twenty years of metaplot advancement at the same density as if WW hadn't stopped publishing.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Really, I think it was partially that they had to stand out from V20 but also not stand out too much. A lot of people like it thought.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Anyone have that drawing of a RPG group wearing cloaks while playing? One guy is blowing his brains out, another is stabbing his own hand, etc. I can't for the life of me find it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Google "Black Dog." It's from the Pentex book for Werewolf.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Rand Brittain posted:

Google "Black Dog." It's from the Pentex book for Werewolf.

Thank you kindly!

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

crime fighting hog posted:

Thank you kindly!

This is what you want.

The fun parody of White Wolf itself, with games such as Zombie the Putrescence/Revenant the Ravishing, Lycanthrope the Curse, Deviant (no subtitle) and such fun workers as Jules Bruccatio FORSOOTH AND HEY NOONY NONNY MY SKYCLAD PAGANS!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Don't forget some of their rivals, like Apex which produced the hit trilogy Undead Cowboy, Radioactive Undead Cowboy, and Undead Cowboy in Space.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Well placed phallic candles

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

MoonKnight posted:

This is what you want.

The fun parody of White Wolf itself, with games such as Zombie the Putrescence/Revenant the Ravishing, Lycanthrope the Curse, Deviant (no subtitle) and such fun workers as Jules Bruccatio FORSOOTH AND HEY NOONY NONNY MY SKYCLAD PAGANS!

What sort of monster would cut out the Thai Cuisine?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

What sort of monster would cut out the Thai Cuisine?

Not to mention my favorite book on the stack, SATANS

I'd forgotten that chapter also contains an excerpt from one of the Black Dog game rulebooks, where it introduces the list of Talents (ordered alphabetically, starting with Assbeating) under a song quote from Apocalypse Skullfuck's "Feel My Angst."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dawgstar posted:

Don't forget some of their rivals, like Apex which produced the hit trilogy Undead Cowboy, Radioactive Undead Cowboy, and Undead Cowboy in Space.

That's amazingly on point.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Pinnacle and White Wolf were chummy in the 90s. Enough to get a W:tWW/Deadlands crossover at least.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is Pinnochio a Changeling, a Hobgoblin, a Fetch, or a Promethian? Is Gepetto the True Fae, or is Gepetto a Wizened controlled by Michael, King Of All Mice?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Promethean, definitely. Gepetto just has a shockingly high Resolve + Composure with which to resist Disquiet. (As you might expect for a man whose reaction to being eaten by a whale was to just set up a little home in its stomach and wait to see if things improve.)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
He was a Child of Osiris and chose to hang out in the whale cuz it was a reliable source of vitae.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Quick Size issue.

Originally I wanted all characters to be size 4, because the age limit was 14 to 17. But one of the players pointed out that size 4 for someone at 17 years old is a bit silly. In that case, I'm thinking of splitting up size by age. So 17 year olds will stay size 5. But, having a bigger size confers advantages, specifically health. Should I be thinking of a way to balance this for players playing younger characters?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Use size 5 for everyone and just decouple narrative and mechanics, imo. ChroD mortals are squishy enough as it is.

If you really want to simulate it, figure out a rough value in dots and make it a purchasable merit starting from a size 4 baseline.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

OscarDiggs posted:

Quick Size issue.

Originally I wanted all characters to be size 4, because the age limit was 14 to 17. But one of the players pointed out that size 4 for someone at 17 years old is a bit silly. In that case, I'm thinking of splitting up size by age. So 17 year olds will stay size 5. But, having a bigger size confers advantages, specifically health. Should I be thinking of a way to balance this for players playing younger characters?

Adding to what other people said, your campaign is set in America - it's not unrealistic for younger children to be big.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

OscarDiggs posted:

Quick Size issue.

Make "small" a Persistent Condition and allow some players to choose it, if someone wanted to play a precocious youngster or a squirrly stealthy sneaker type it might be nice to have that option.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Okay, that all makes good sense. Thanks all.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

OscarDiggs posted:

Quick Size issue.

Size 4 would be, like, that one teenager that constantly keeps getting mistaken for a kid in late-ish elementary school. The sort that likely have fairly sizeable issues about it.

Size 5 is for basically anyone in or past puberty outside of those aforementioned seriously tiny people.

(contari-wise, there would be children that are size 5, too, like my friend in grade 5 who was 6'4, but he was kind of an outlier, obviously)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Make "small" a Persistent Condition and allow some players to choose it, if someone wanted to play a precocious youngster or a squirrly stealthy sneaker type it might be nice to have that option.

Also, this is a better solution to the issue than the whole two-dot 'small' "merit" that is a literal mechanical hindrance in 99% of situations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Okay, final couple of questions.

First, are there any rules or guidelines about warning merits through role play only, instead of role play and paying tor them?

Say, intervening and helping someone with a bully earns you a 1 dot ally.

Second, can I put some finalised low key magic ideas I've had here in this thread for some comments?

I've used some of the source books for some ideas, but I'd like a second set of eyes, if that's alright of course.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

OscarDiggs posted:

First, are there any rules or guidelines about warning merits through role play only, instead of role play and paying tor them?

I don't think there's anything published for that. Based on how Merits work, I'd say if you're going to do that you'll just want to eyeball it as best you can, anyway, instead of trying to follow some general guideline when Ally 3 and Contacts 3 are really different from each other.

quote:

Second, can I put some finalised low key magic ideas I've had here in this thread for some comments?

I've used some of the source books for some ideas, but I'd like a second set of eyes, if that's alright of course.

:justpost:

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Okay... well.

This is a pretty threadbare example that might need a bit of changing, but it's the sort of low key Hedge/Witchery type magic I wanted to go for.

quote:

Animism: Cat

Acquired after making a deal with a cat spirit. Dot's in Animism: Cat provide additional powers.

Every dot in Animism: Cat can be added to an Animal Ken roll involving felines.

1 Dot: When rolling to communicate with Cats, the user adds their dots to the dice pool. Depending on the success of the roll, the user can receive information from the animal as if the creature had human level intelligence.

2 Dots: The user of Animism: Cat can add half their dots, rounded down, to a dice pool of an action that could conceivable be related to felines. For example, adding to an action that would take “The Grace of a Cat.”

(So, something like Animism: Dogs could also do it to add the “Tracking ability of a dog.” Or, Animism: Fish for “Swimming ability of a fish”)

3 Dots: The user can forge links with living specimens of the creature in question, up to their number in Animism: Cat. These animals are loyal and intelligent and will obey commands to the best of their ability. In return, they will expect care and support of equal value to their task.

(Say, 10 minutes of petting for watching a door. A fresh Salmon for tracking someone through the city.)

4 Dots: The users 2 Dot ability is upgraded, allowing for use of “special” versions of that species.

(So. Cats, Courage of a Lion. Fish, Deadliness of a shark. Etc etc)

5 Dots: The user can assume the form of the creature in question. Her animal form is the same every time and takes on attributes of their human form. (A red headed user would be a red furred cat.)

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
A Tremere gave my coterie a quest to bust into Doissetep. How uh... boned are we?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Foreskin Problems posted:

A Tremere gave my coterie a quest to bust into Doissetep. How uh... boned are we?
I don't remember what line calls the pc group a "coterie", what supernatural type are you guys?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
We're a lunkhead group of vampires. I'm... concerned that this is the end of our game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

OscarDiggs posted:

I'm a huge fan of awarding merits based on play. But I also tell my players, that if they want them to be permanent, they need to spend xp on them. Once they've made use of the merit once, and so haven't bought it properly, whenever it would generate the most drama to lose it is when it goes away.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mages will gently caress you up big time. Also Doistepp is in another reality and depending on your GM may be in the middle of a Cold War with other even worse wizards, getting hit with a literal spirit nuke, being attacked by a different even worse group of wizards who've figured out how to weaponize The End Of All Things, or just in ruins from one of the above.

Also wizards can look at you and know you're vampires and have so many ways of murdering vampires it's easier to list the ways they can't kill you. ERROR FILE NOT FOUND

Probably better off just eating the Tremere, frankly.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Doissetep is also the home of the guys who particularly specialize in fireballs, and is in fact located in the elemental plane of fireballs, aka Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

otoh it's normally impossible for a Dracula to get to Doistepp so maybe the Tremere (the clan that literally betrayed their way into existence) has a 100% safe way to get you there and back