Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

hopefully a nintendo direct happens soon that will introduce just dance 2020 for wii on switch virtual console :stoked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

American McGay posted:

The bosses being a complete pushover in Cadence is probably my biggest problem with it. They're just so darn cool but then you kill them in 8 seconds. Total letdown.

In particular, most of them have such predictable patterns that you can kinda just jump around near them and they just go down before really becoming much of a threat. Especially so with the morning star.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Basically if sticking to sword is going to make the game feel "meatier" or every dungeon threatening in its own way I want that experience. If the original necrodancer is anything to go by, the difficulty is balanced well enough for this?

Cool cool cool, I think I'll avoid purchasing a better weapon for now. I'm still poking around just getting the lay of the land

You can change your collected weapons anytime in the menu so you don't need to avoid anything

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

1-2 switch isn't the only game that requires joycons, 3rd party games need them too, I still don't believe they'll just make a solid mass. The rumors say the smaller version looks surprising and unvita like, so we'll see.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

1-2 switch isn't the only game that requires joycons, 3rd party games need them too, I still don't believe they'll just make a solid mass. The rumors say the smaller version looks surprising and unvita like, so we'll see.

My baseless speculation is that you'll still be able to pair/use external joycons for games that require it, or couch play if the system can still be docked.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah I really don't see how it's a problem. They just need to slap on a disclaimer or something. I remember controller setup restrictions being common in the Wii/wiiu era

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

American McGay posted:

The bosses being a complete pushover in Cadence is probably my biggest problem with it. They're just so darn cool but then you kill them in 8 seconds. Total letdown.

Yeah, I think a fair compromise would have been that death just puts you back at the start of the boss room instead of back at the start of the dungeon (unless maybe it already keeps the boss door open for you? I haven't died to a boss yet), but the boss also gets more health to start.

Though it's not like the dungeons here are as long as Necrodancer, anyway.

Still been a blast to play, though. That's just a minor thing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

American McGay posted:

This is the biggest bummer as they have such great songs tied to them.

Hell the ice boss can summon minions and they can kill the boss for you. I wish they had way more hp or something.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I hope the new switch is basically a modern iQue

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Cadence is so easy and simplified that it’s pretty boring, unfortunately. On the plus side it made me purchase the original for $4 and now I’m having fun again.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I like easy and simple. I bashed my head against zone 2 golems for about 10 hours farming diamonds before I even saw the boss room.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So should I just wait for a sale than to purchase it at full price?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You should have already bought it. You should buy it and then send Doug Bowser a $10 bill in the mail as penance.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DLC Inc posted:

I forgot the name of it but there's an indie game that's basically Contra coming out that looks like the best one since the SNES

gently caress yeah burning chrome

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I really don't see how it's a problem. They just need to slap on a disclaimer or something. I remember controller setup restrictions being common in the Wii/wiiu era

Nintendoland still works with just the wii upad only. They don't have any games that don't use the base controller. Same with the wii. The joycons are the system. Not saying they won't, just that it's unprecedented. And a disclaimer wouldn't help. People were still buying wii u games for the wii.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

Nintendoland still works with just the wii upad only. They don't have any games that don't use the base controller. Same with the wii. The joycons are the system. Not saying they won't, just that it's unprecedented. And a disclaimer wouldn't help. People were still buying wii u games for the wii.

I remember being so pumped for Nintendoland thinking it was going to be some virtual theme park chocked full of minigames and maybe even an MMO/Social Hub element to it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

iddqd posted:

I remember being so pumped for Nintendoland thinking it was going to be some virtual theme park chocked full of minigames and maybe even an MMO/Social Hub element to it.

I'm really surprised they didn't bolt on some kind of online multiplayer, no exaggeration, it was the best multiplayer game on the system.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 16, 2019

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

Try to get enough diamonds to buy a heart and a weapon when you die. Then it's pretty simple from there on out. It's less of a rhythm game and more of a puzzle game where you have to learn the enemy movement patterns and then react to them in a limited amount of time. You'll die a lot early on, that's how you'll learn. Once you get a weapon that allows you to attack from another angle the game gets a lot easier.

Is the death room heart considered part of 100% the game or is it a "bonus"?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

So should I just wait for a sale than to purchase it at full price?

I would definitely recommend that, it's neat and the music is great but it doesn't seem like there's a lot there unless you're into replaying without many unlocks or achievements to incentivize it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tender Bender posted:

I would definitely recommend that, it's neat and the music is great but it doesn't seem like there's a lot there unless you're into replaying without many unlocks or achievements to incentivize it

I can wait, with the Mana Collection I'm going to be pretty busy anyway.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't have the stick drifting but the up arrow on my left Joycon absolutely is getting stuck and just doing it's own thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Len posted:

I don't have the stick drifting but the up arrow on my left Joycon absolutely is getting stuck and just doing it's own thing.

Probably some crud stuck in there. Try compressed air.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello switch thread

I have a switch, and i have a question, thus i am here.

Hopefully you can help me.

I what is the closest thing to Pokemon Gold/silver i can play on the switch?

I found lets go pikachu, but that mostly only has the 1st 150 pokemans, i think.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man... I'm at the point in Secret of Mana where I have all the best possible gear (secret Neko stuff) and am about to hit Pure Lands and ruin their whole day.

There's no possible way I'm going to grind out magic levels, though. I know how to do it easily but I just can't do it. I'm getting pumped to move on to Trials.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Bananana posted:

Hello switch thread

I have a switch, and i have a question, thus i am here.

Hopefully you can help me.

I what is the closest thing to Pokemon Gold/silver i can play on the switch?

I found lets go pikachu, but that mostly only has the 1st 150 pokemans, i think.

Pokémon Sword/Shield in a few months. There’s nothing else really like Pokémon on the system. Let’s Go are remakes of the first Pokémon games and I found them a good point for getting back into the series.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

eonwe posted:

Its really sad that one of the best mmo experiences ive ever had is a single player game

I also like Monster Hunter games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Inzombiac posted:

Man... I'm at the point in Secret of Mana where I have all the best possible gear (secret Neko stuff) and am about to hit Pure Lands and ruin their whole day.

There's no possible way I'm going to grind out magic levels, though. I know how to do it easily but I just can't do it. I'm getting pumped to move on to Trials.

I tried doing this for the PC version of the game for the achievement but I just couldn't because I forgot until the very end that magic only levels if you just spam it and it doesn't scale with higher level enemies. For a game that I didn't find myself grinding in, I wasn't about to start the very end. It's a really bad system.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

s.i.r.e. posted:

I tried doing this for the PC version of the game for the achievement but I just couldn't because I forgot until the very end that magic only levels if you just spam it and it doesn't scale with higher level enemies. For a game that I didn't find myself grinding in, I wasn't about to start the very end. It's a really bad system.

The lack of achievements on Nintendo games is so drat refreshing after playing a PS4 for a few years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oscar Wild posted:

The lack of achievements on Nintendo games is so drat refreshing after playing a PS4 for a few years.

It’s just obnoxious to me to see those dumb pop ups whenever I play non-Nintendo stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oscar Wild posted:

I do wonder why they never made unlockable Mii clothing tied to achievements

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oscar Wild posted:

The irony for me is that I wanted achievements because when I had a lot of time on my hands in the 360 era I had fun grinding them out and completing games 100% but lord almighty that was such a timesink, I just can't do it anymore and nor do I want to. I'm glad that I don't have to even think about it on the Switch. At least on Steam I can cheat them if I want, but I don't even care to do that... I do hate seeing that I don't have them all though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well, I guess. Once magic is about 4th level, it trivializes pretty much all the content. There is no reason to get it up to max level.

Considering going from 8 to 9 (max) would be 100 casts per character, per school.

gently caress. That. Noise.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm really surprised they didn't bolt on some kind of online multiplayer, no exaggeration, it was the best multiplayer game on the system.

I’d bring my Wii U home for the holidays for a few years and the Animal Crossing: gently caress the Police mini game was always a big hit

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s just obnoxious to me to see those dumb pop ups whenever I play non-Nintendo stuff.

I turn them off

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Achievements would be fun to me if the whole list of locked achievements was hidden because then it would be encouragement to play around with stuff and try new things instead of just being a busywork list. Red Dead Redemption had a secret achievement for placing a hogtied person on train tracks and watching them get run over, and I remember thinking it was so cool that the game acknowledged it when I wasn't expecting it to. Like, imagine if BotW had an achievement for eating poo poo hard enough while shield surfing and you had no idea it was coming until it actually popped up.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pokémon Sword/Shield in a few months. There’s nothing else really like Pokémon on the system. Let’s Go are remakes of the first Pokémon games and I found them a good point for getting back into the series.

Is lets go pikachu any good?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Bananana posted:

Is lets go pikachu any good?

It's a very simplified remake of the Gen 1 games. You get an overpowered starter and in the case of Eevee get some insanely broken moves. the catching is done like Go so there's no wild battles (a plus, in my opinion). all pokemon roam in the overworld and there's some neat catching mechanics to trigger rare and shiny spanwns (basically you chain catch the same pokemon to get better stats and higher odds at shinies). There's no breeding, EVs, or safari zone (it's replaced with the Pokemon Go transfer station) but the game is legit fun. Just not very challenging unless you want to do the master trainers which involves battling a trainer for a specific pokemon (there's 150 of them) so if you want a challenge you can try those.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Achievements would be fun to me if the whole list of locked achievements was hidden because then it would be encouragement to play around with stuff and try new things instead of just being a busywork list. Red Dead Redemption had a secret achievement for placing a hogtied person on train tracks and watching them get run over, and I remember thinking it was so cool that the game acknowledged it when I wasn't expecting it to. Like, imagine if BotW had an achievement for eating poo poo hard enough while shield surfing and you had no idea it was coming until it actually popped up.

Double Dragon Neon does this with the ending credits there's a line in the credits song, sung by the final boss that goes “here’s a medal for your victory,” and an achievement/trophy pops right there

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
How does Team Sonic Racing run? I remember hearing it ran pretty lovely. Best Buy has it on sale this week, so I thinking of picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Evil Vin posted:

How does Team Sonic Racing run? I remember hearing it ran pretty lovely. Best Buy has it on sale this week, so I thinking of picking it up.

It runs at a stable 30 on Switch. It runs at 60 on other consoles.

It’s no MK8D but worth a try if you want more.