Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can't we force feed all sick people bear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Can we force feed sick people to bears, making the bears both fatter and slower (thus easier to hunt)?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Slow down. We just got almost 200 lbs. of meat, so our food situation isn't as dire any more.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Pretty sure ice baths are the cure for pneumonia.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Keep Meaty Ore cool and moist

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
And the cursed wagon continues to line up aliments. For this, hmm...
Keep them warm and dry, because why not?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Laramie River is easy to cross and we suffer no coffee-related casualties.

We stop in Fort William, which would be renamed Fort Laramie years later, for supplies. We buy hundreds of pounds of salt pork, bacon, pemmican, dried vegetables, and biscuits.

On our route we find an abandoned wagon with some maple syrup and a pair of winter coats to fight over.

And somehow the former Blind Sally is taken out yet again!

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Walk it off, loser.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Apply Alcohol in all things in life really.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Night10194 posted:

Apply Alcohol in all things in life really.

:agreed: Alcohol fixes all

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Kind of late, but lets see what Dr. Gunn recommends to treat pneumonia. (It includes more foot soaking, and also a bunch of vomiting)

quote:

Treatment. — The treatment in all cases of inflammation of the lungs, should consist mainly in emetics, diaphoretics, (or sweating medicines), expectorants, with external means for aiding perspira tion and the equal distribution of the blood ; and in case the tongue becomes coated, dark, brown, or yellow, cathartics that act on the liver. I lay down the following as a proper course to be pursued in a bad case ; which can be varied according to circumstances.

First, you may commence by letting the patient sit for half an hour, with his feet and legs in warm water, and drink some warm sweating teas, as the Composition powder, with a little powdered Blood root added, or Pennyroyal and Sage. In the mean time, boil in a large pot or kettle, a quantity of bitter herbs, as Hoarhound, Tansy, Hops, Boneset, Smartweed, Horsemint, and Peach leaves, a handful of each, or of as many as you can get. Then take the vessel from the fire, strip the patient, and seat him over it, with a blanket thrown round his shoulders, and allowed to fall to the floor around him, and outside of the chair, so as to confine the steam arising from the herbs and hot water in the vessel, and at the same time allow it to come in contact with his body as high as his neck. Continue this for half an hour, occasionally throwing into the vessel a hot brick or rock, to raise the steam ; wet the face and head with cold water, if the patient feels faint, and let him continue supping a little of the warm teas.

Next wipe him off quick and put him in bed, and give immediately a thorough emetic, composed of equal parts powdered Lobelia seed, Blood root and Ipecac. Take a large tablespoonful of the compound, and pour on it a pint of hot water, stir, and let stand fifteen minutes, and then commence giving it in half a teacupful every five to ten minutes, until the patient has vomited thoroughly, three or four times. During the intervals between vomiting, let him drink freely of Pennyroyal, Sage, Composition, or Boneset tea.

After the emetic is through with, place hot bricks, or boiled corn in the cars, about the patient in bed, keep him well covered, continue the warm tea occasionally, with, a very little of the emetic infusion dded, so as to keep the stomach slightly nauseated, and let him sweat. After continuing this for three hours, and the patient has sweat pretty well, he may be wiped dry and furnished with dry linen, and allowed to rest or sleep.

A large mustard draft may then be placed over the chest and region of the lungs, and kept on as long as the patient can bear it — an hour if possible ; and he should commence taking in broken doses, some suitable expectorant and diaphoretic. You can probably find nothing better than the same emetic infusion which I have recommended given in from a half to a tablespoonful, according to the strength of it. Or the same articles may be given in powder, in doses of live to eight, or ten grains, repeated every hour. Or the tinctures of Lobelia and Blood root, and wine of Ipecac, equal parts, may be given in teaspoonful doses, once an hour. Or the Expectorant Tincture, made of pulverized Lobelia seed, and Blood root, each one oz. ; Ipecac two
oz.; Cayenne one half oz. ; Whisky or dilute alcohol, one quart,— digest one or two weeks; of this, a teaspoonful every hour.

The emetics are to be repeated once in twenty-four hours ; and it may be well to repeat the steaming over bitter herbs as often, or employ the common vapor or steam bath.

At first the tongue will be coated with a white fur; but if it changes to dark brown or yellowish, a cathartic must be given, such as will act on the liver and secretions. The Anti-bilious Physic and powdered Mandrake will be suitable, or three or four pills made of extract Mandrake root, and powdered Blood root and Cayenne. This is one of the best liver and anti-bilious pills in the world, and good wherever an efficient and speedy cathartic is needed. Give three or four of these pills, and repeat in six hours, if they do not operateThe bowels should br kept in a lax state by giving one of these pills or a small quantity of the powder of Mandrake and Blood root every night or morning, so as to gently act on the liver. The Podophyllin may be used instead of the Mandrake.

Continue the expectorants all the while, night and day, if the case is a bad one.

Should the disease assume any thing of a periodical nature, be intermittent, like the ague, or intermittent fever, quinine should be given. You may combine it with the expectorant, or give it in any other way, so as to give during one day about twelve grains, after which omit it, for several days, or entirely, if not indicated any more.

It may be well occasionally to apply a fomentation of herbs, on the chest and lungs, as warm as can be borne, such as Hoarhound Catnip, Tansy, and the like ; and also repeat the mustard draft ones a day. But rely mainly upon emetics, nauseating expectorants, and sweating. The Skunk Cabbage (root) is also a good expectorant in this disease, and may be combined with the other articles, in either powder, tincture, or infusion.

I've come to the conclusion that Dr. Gunn's medical philosophy is, "If the patient can survive the treatment, he'll survive pretty much anything."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Walk it off

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I second the call to apply alcohol!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Epicurius posted:

Kind of late, but lets see what Dr. Gunn recommends to treat pneumonia. (It includes more foot soaking, and also a bunch of vomiting)

I've come to the conclusion that Dr. Gunn's medical philosophy is, "If the patient can survive the treatment, he'll survive pretty much anything."

The sad part is some of that stuff would actually be helpful if it wasn't countered by all the other stuff.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Booze it up

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Epicurius posted:

I don't get how you get from 'lungs are hosed up' to 'make them vom constantly'. Like, he knows lungs and stomach are seperate things, right?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

lofi posted:

I don't get how you get from 'lungs are hosed up' to 'make them vom constantly'. Like, he knows lungs and stomach are seperate things, right?

He knows that pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs. I think, from the other times he's talking about emetics is that he figures that the mechanism of vomiting has the secondary effect of loosening up mucus. Talking about treatment of tuberculosis, he says, "The mucus membrane, lining the bronchial surfaces, is the primary seat of tuberculous deposits, and this is the reason why emetics are of great benefit in removing them." He also recommends it for asthma, croup, and whooping cough, so it's clear that he thinks emetics have a positive value in treating diseases of the lung.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Epicurius posted:

To be fair, this philosophy still present in modern medicine today. Some of the last-line antibiotics and chemo drugs specifically have increased mortality as a side effect. When using these drugs, the goal is to kill whatever is plaguing your patient before the drug kills the patient.

Similarly there a couple of common antidepressants and anxiolytics that we have no known mechanism of action for, we just gave them to people and it seemed to work.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Epicurius posted:

He knows that pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs. I think, from the other times he's talking about emetics is that he figures that the mechanism of vomiting has the secondary effect of loosening up mucus. Talking about treatment of tuberculosis, he says, "The mucus membrane, lining the bronchial surfaces, is the primary seat of tuberculous deposits, and this is the reason why emetics are of great benefit in removing them." He also recommends it for asthma, croup, and whooping cough, so it's clear that he thinks emetics have a positive value in treating diseases of the lung.
You also have to consider that remnants of the four humors system stuck around for longer than people today realize and that a lot of treatments based on that tend to be via expulsion of some sort. Bleeding, vomiting, diarrhea, and then trying to balance the hot/cold dry/wet with 'hot' or 'cold' drinks and food (not necessarily talking about temperature).

If you had a general idea what was going on but not much idea how to treat it, it's not surprising if you fell back on the humors. Maybe vomiting was considered to drop the phlegm levels in a body? And pneumonia was very hard to treat for a long time since it's an internal problem, it's not like you could physically go and clean out the lungs or w/e.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

PetraCore posted:

it's not like you could physically go and clean out the lungs or w/e.

[citation needed] :colbert:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Not trying hard enough :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Having applied sufficient liquor to Dash's mouth ankle, we continue on.

Remember this one?

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Wasn't this the hard on the animals vs the hard on the wagon one? Three Crossings, this wagon is built ford (the river) tough.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm not sure anyone in this wagon would survive a trip through the desert so Three Crossings

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if deserts were a bad idea on the well stocked wagon, they would be even worse on this one. Three Crossings.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eopia posted:

I'm not sure anyone in this wagon would survive a trip through the desert so Three Crossings

That sounds like reason enough to go for the Deep Sand.

It really feels weird that we somehow still haven’t had anyone die by now.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

We did Three Crossings last time. Time for the Deep Sand, whether or not we're prepared.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

plenty of time to mess around in the sand later, for now let's see how well our fording will do, take the Three Crossings.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

With river depths as low as 1.5 feet, making the three crossings is trivial.

Hm. How did this path split again?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
You know, every time we get somewhere and I'm not sure what to do, I look at that "Rest here" option and wonder why we can't stop moving westward and just found a city where we're standing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Welcome to "Blasted Worthless Plains City"! We ain't got nuthin'!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

We already passed up Deep Sand once so let's go to South Pass.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

We already passed up Deep Sand once so let's go to South Pass.
This is pretty good reasoning.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Go go South Pass

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I think there was something important back a ways. Go back through Deep Sand.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Like before, double-teaming gets us up the hill and fording gets us over the river.

Our utter lack of handyman skills forces us to repair this axle from spare parts.

Here's a new one!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh boy, strangers! They probably have candy! Let's go say hi. :buddy:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
We can't preemptively shoot them? What kind of wild west game is this anyway?

Guess let's just see what they do.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Black Robe posted:

Oh boy, strangers! They probably have candy! Let's go say hi. :buddy:

Hello friends :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Get advice, then go say hello.