Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

apropos man posted:

...Stuff about new mobo and network driver...

It's after 10pm and I can't be bothered to sort this out tonight. Any advice for rolling my own network driver into ESXi?

I just managed to roll the Netgear 81888 into the ISO. This page was a big help:
https://advanxer.com/blog/2017/10/adding-realtek-8168811184118118-based-nics-to-esxi-6-5/

I now have ESXi running :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I need to reboot one of my storage arrays for maintenance. What is the proper procedure to rebooting an iscsi target attached to a vmware cluster?

I have a cluster of two esxi hosts with a bunch of vms. Two of these vms use a datastore that is presented via iscsi to both hosts.

Can I just shutdown the two vms using this datastore and then reboot the storage or do I have to unmount or detach the storage?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can put a datastore in maintenance mode just like a host. That would be the most cautious way of doing it. That being said, if your storage device is set up properly and has dual controllers, it should update one controller at a time and not cause any sort of issues. That does require everything to be set up properly, though, and is one of those things I like to test the first time I'm doing it in an environment.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

You can put a datastore in maintenance mode just like a host. That would be the most cautious way of doing it. That being said, if your storage device is set up properly and has dual controllers, it should update one controller at a time and not cause any sort of issues. That does require everything to be set up properly, though, and is one of those things I like to test the first time I'm doing it in an environment.

Our main storage array is a proper array with dual controllers but this storage unit I need to reboot is just a huge QNAP for local backups and doesn't have dual controllers. Only two VMs use it but it's attached to the hosts and presented to the VMs via a VMFS datastore rather than the vms attaching directly to it at the OS level. I didn't know I could put the datastore into maintenance mode so I guess I'll just do that. Thanks.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

kiwid posted:

I need to reboot one of my storage arrays for maintenance. What is the proper procedure to rebooting an iscsi target attached to a vmware cluster?

I have a cluster of two esxi hosts with a bunch of vms. Two of these vms use a datastore that is presented via iscsi to both hosts.

Can I just shutdown the two vms using this datastore and then reboot the storage or do I have to unmount or detach the storage?
How long does the reboot take? If your disk timeout value is high enough in the guest, you can just reboot the array. It is not recommended, but is possibly your best option.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

adorai posted:

How long does the reboot take? If your disk timeout value is high enough in the guest, you can just reboot the array. It is not recommended, but is possibly your best option.

Between 5-10 minutes when doing a firmware update.

I ended up just shutting down the two VMs and rebooting it. I forgot to put it in maintenance mode but everything worked out so gently caress it.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

What is the CPU performance haircut in 2019 when using virtualization? I want to run a game server inside a hypervisor to make it easier with mod development but said game server does a lot of physics and is pretty sensitive to single threaded performance.

e: I get this is a broad question - I'm fine with broad answers, just wondering if anyone has insight or experiences or literature that is helpful.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Super minimal, like a few percentage when I looked a few years back.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

What hypervisor?

But yeah it doesn't really matter. It's a trivial amount. Unless your game was really running at > 97% CPU but < 100%, the virt "haircut" won't matter. You either weren't using all available resources anyway, or were already maxed out on bare metal and needed to upgrade regardless of introducing virtualization.

I found this VMware benchmark from 2007 which is kind of funny to look back on. https://www.vmware.com/pdf/hypervisor_performance.pdf

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The concern is more over committing vCPU, so that there is contention and things are being paused to wait for logical cores on the processor to free up. If you're not doing that, like others have said, it is very minimal.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
What is one of the best ways to back up VMs? I'm running 6.7 and just learning all of this, I did one of the no-nos and didn't use a network storage as my datastore. I did snap shots but I've read to not trust them. I bought just vSphere Essentials, not the plus so I don't have the cool things like Vmotion. My company is small so I have to do things the cheapest way possible most of the time.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ultrabay2000 posted:

What is the CPU performance haircut in 2019 when using virtualization? I want to run a game server inside a hypervisor to make it easier with mod development but said game server does a lot of physics and is pretty sensitive to single threaded performance.

e: I get this is a broad question - I'm fine with broad answers, just wondering if anyone has insight or experiences or literature that is helpful.
You already got the easy part of the answer. However, there are other variables at play. For instance, I think the general consensus has been to turn off hyperthreading for any virtualization tasks where you want to keep your information secure. Because of side channel attacks, any time the two cores of a CPU are actively running on seperate VMs, they could learn the contents of the cache for the other VM.

Depending on your workload, this could matter, or not.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

TooLShack posted:

What is one of the best ways to back up VMs? I'm running 6.7 and just learning all of this, I did one of the no-nos and didn't use a network storage as my datastore. I did snap shots but I've read to not trust them. I bought just vSphere Essentials, not the plus so I don't have the cool things like Vmotion. My company is small so I have to do things the cheapest way possible most of the time.

There's quite a few products available but a snapshot-based backup solution is typically best for everything that doesn't need transaction log backups. So long as VMware tools is installed, the snapshot will quiesce traffic so you don't need to worry about pausing/shutting down DBs and the transaction journal should handle a hot capture so it can come back up. What happens is the backup server attaches on to the host, snapshots the target VM to grab a stable copy of the disk image, then automatically removes the snapshot once the backup is completed to build the base-image. After that, it will use change block tracking to know what parts of the vmdk changed and will then build incremental backups from that point forward.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 6, 2019

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

TooLShack posted:

Veeam. B&R Essentials is cheap per socket.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Digital_Jesus posted:

This is the best option if you have any budget at all. Licensing is cheap and you can write the backups to basically anything.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
Here's a problem, I'm running VirtualBox v5.2.26 on Windows 10. Network connections were previously over copper, Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 NIC. Switched to WiFi (Broadcom BCM4352) and guest VM (bridged networking) periodically drops from being able to ping gateway (192.168.0.1). During this time the host machine is able to ping gateway and use network without issue. Able to ping guest from host as well. dmesg shows nothing of interest during these service flaps on the guest.

I thought this might be a setting with the guest VM, so disabled tuned on CentOS 7; problem persists. Disabled power saving on the WiFi card as well, no change. Any recommendations on things to check before spinning up an Ubuntu instance for comparison or ditching VirtualBox altogether?

Edit: upgraded to VirtualBox 6 and all is well in the land of virtualization :banjo:

Edit x2: ran ping over the last hour, between 1 - 3 ms, averaging 2.86 ms

nem fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 9, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Frankly, without getting into troubleshooting your host networking,

VirtuslBox is now an Oracle product and it loving sucks assholes, hard, and filterfeeds from the poo poo in it's mouth.

Windows 10 has Hyper-V available as a feature. The network stack is short and efficient. Ditch VirtualBox and watch a YouTube video on creating a VM in Windows 10.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, for on desktop, HyperV is hard to beat.

I'm still a XenServer evangelist for low cost bare metal personal labs.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, for on desktop, HyperV is hard to beat.

I'm still a XenServer evangelist for low cost bare metal personal labs.

For ease of setup sure, it's pretty painless to get working well... and it kinda just works. But if you're trying to lab to get experience with something you might use out in the world I'd say you're better off with KVM, Hyper-V, or VMware (if you can get the licensing on it).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheFace posted:

For ease of setup sure, it's pretty painless to get working well... and it kinda just works. But if you're trying to lab to get experience with something you might use out in the world I'd say you're better off with KVM, Hyper-V, or VMware (if you can get the licensing on it).

For just hosting VMs, Xenserver does awesome and comes with some fairly advanced features out of the box, even without a license.

But yeah, those three are more common in the market.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you don’t care about commercial support there is also XCP-ng, which is basically CentOS for XenServer. It unlocks all the features that are normally gated behind a paid license from Citrix.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

If you don’t care about commercial support there is also XCP-ng, which is basically CentOS for XenServer. It unlocks all the features that are normally gated behind a paid license from Citrix.

:stare: Hell yes, will be setting this up right away.

It even has a native Xenserver migration platform, SCORE!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 11, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2019/05/which-vsphere-cpu-scheduler-to-choose.html

TLDR: Hosting anything public facing? Any VDI/RDVH/RDSH? Use the scheduler disabling Hyper Threading, and implement Credential Guard on Windows guests.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Potato Salad posted:

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2019/05/which-vsphere-cpu-scheduler-to-choose.html

TLDR: Hosting anything public facing? Any VDI/RDVH/RDSH? Use the scheduler disabling Hyper Threading, and implement Credential Guard on Windows guests.

Interested in peoples take on something, since I'll likely be asked this when I brink all this up to our security team (who's knee jerk reaction will be TURN IT ALL OFF!!!). We isolate our VDI/RDSH on it's own Clusters. So it's not like those VMs are sitting next to critical data. Less of a concern? Or is the concern snagging credentials that would THEN give them access to much more.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I would confidently state that all user-facing desktop environments should use the SCAv1 scheduler and implement Credential Guard or a good SELinux profile.

This makes it harder for crafty users -- or the malware that inevitably follows normal use of desktop applications -- to use escapement or PTH attacks to create footholds that then can rowhammer/spooktre/Microarch VulnBrandHere your poo poo.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Woof. Going to most likely go SCAv1 on our VDI boxes (Horizon) and SCAv2 on the rest of our hosts.

Edit: Maybe just v1 for everything. Fun times.

Edit 2: Updated a VDI cluster last night then went with SCAv1, not seeing any increase in CPU utilization really. Will be keeping an eye on the performance over the next week or so.

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 17, 2019

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

TooLShack posted:

Digital_Jesus posted:

Veeam now has a community-supported version for FREE :allears:

https://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Loving XCP, I mean, its just Xen with all the features. I just wish USB 3.0 passthrough was finalized, I think it only does USB 2.0 passthrough right now.

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014
Is there a way that people automate shutting down servers and starting up servers outside of azure runbook in Azure?

Also what are people's favorite resource monitoring solutions? I use what's up gold, but am considering installing oms agents on bare metal servers and just using azure monitoring.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
So I'm loosely planning on buying a box to serve a couple of needs in my home, and was thinking that I should use virtualization for the purpose of separating the services. I come to this thread in hopes of getting to know where I'm wrong before I actually do something. Basically; I want to use this computer to achieve the following tasks;
1. Use as a Kodi box
2. Run a pi-hole
3. Have a windows VM
4. Torrenting/downloads (NAS ... ish)

I've been eyeing a NUC box from Aliexpress for the purpose which would come with something like a Xeon 2176M and 32gb of ram. Caveats to this approach include: 1 RJ45 port, else wifi. 1 HDMI-port and only the integrated GPU accessible for graphics. The box would sit behind my router in a NATed environment.

I'm thinking that passing through the integrated graphics to the Kodi VM should speed up some of the processing/decoding and put a little less stress on the CPU (I will mainly be serving 1080p content). The windows VM I just want to use for updating firmware and devices as well as some other very light use, however I reckon this would require to pass through at least one USB-port? I won't be using the windows VM a lot - does passing through one of the USB ports mean I cannot use it for the host box when the VM is not started? I also ask because I currently have some USB3-connected external harddrives which I of course would like to be able to access from both the Kodi and torrenting-VMs - is this easily doable or does it require some additional trickery? For the record, they are both in ext4-format right now.

All VMs, including the pi-hole, would be sharing the network resource (I can't see myself connecting both wifi and ethernet unless this is a really really good idea for what I'm trying to do). Ethernet connection would be 1gb, while wifi would probably be 1250AC. Does either one make a huge difference for my use cases?

Finally, software. I'm using linux as my primary OS on my computer. I'd been reading up before coming here thinking that Xen would probably be my best bet for a hypervisor, but reading through the thread it seems ESXi is widely preferred - but is that because you're all operating in a enterprise network setting? My primary concerns regarding choice of hypervisor is in order cost, manageability and lastly performance. Why is Xen not talked about here pretty much at all, some caveats?

EDIT:
I know the OP says to use a separate NAS/SAN for storing your VMs, but seeing how this is a budget/home-project, I was thinking of just using the harddrive in the box for VMs, eventually - as it has two M2-slots - putting the hypervisor on one SSD and the VMs on a second one. Is that a really, really bad idea? I'd be having physical access to this box at all times, for reference.

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 15, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If there’s 2 slots there’s no reasons at all not to do raid1 and partition your stuff. Splitting it across both drives just ups the failure rate for no good reason.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

For what they are, NUCs are very expensive. You'd do better buying something like a Xeon 1265l v3/v4 on eBay and other parts -- case, Mobo, drives, low-power amd graphics card, USB card -- yourself on the cheap

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Buy a cheap Dell PowerEdge R710. Can get one of those for half the cost of a NUC, and itll do virtualization ten times better

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
There is also a huge difference in terms of power/cooling/noise/physical space between a modern NUC and a 9 year old rackmount server.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Moey posted:

There is also a huge difference in terms of power/cooling/noise/physical space between a modern NUC and a 9 year old rackmount server.

Small price to pay for low cost virtualization hardware.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Small price to pay for low cost virtualization hardware.
a kilowatt 24/7 gets not so low, not so slow.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

For what they are, NUCs are very expensive. You'd do better buying something like a Xeon 1265l v3/v4 on eBay and other parts -- case, Mobo, drives, low-power amd graphics card, USB card -- yourself on the cheap

CommieGIR posted:

Buy a cheap Dell PowerEdge R710. Can get one of those for half the cost of a NUC, and itll do virtualization ten times better
I want this thing to reside in my living room, that's why I chose a NUC for the job. I live in an apartment, so any rack-mounted stuff is just not going to do. I just want this thing to do light stuff anyway, so compute power doesn't have to be at a max. Now, is there any reason not to go with Xen for this, and are there any other caveats on the software side of stuff?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Why do you want a personal hardware lab in your living room

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Methanar posted:

Maybe it's the only room he has? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Methanar posted:

That's kinda the point. I don't. That's why I've specified that I don't want a rack mounted server for this. I know I could just do this with any old post-2011 computer, put Linux on it and install all the things I listed on it and be done. But I figure this is a good time as any to get into virtualization, it's a learning thing. As an added bonus, it gives me better isolation between services.