Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're probably the only person to have played this far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

I'm playing Secret of mana for the first time and jank is pretty what I expected from an old SNES action RPG but whoever designed the menus needs to answer for their crimes

in 1993 those menus were the cutting edge of the principles of game design

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

Fairy Fencer F has sort of dived off a cliff since the party has been expanding, Fang/Eryn/Tiara had a really great dynamic and the new losers do not

Is this a known low point and it'll get better or is this the new normal?

Which version are you playing? Dark Advent added a bunch of new party members who don't interact with the base cast that much or well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

Which version are you playing? Dark Advent added a bunch of new party members who don't interact with the base cast that much or well.

I'm playing ADF but I don't think I've hit the routesplit yet. The characters I'm complaining about are Harvey, Galdo, and their fairies.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
About halfway through Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Micaiah is just awful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr E posted:

Ah, I think I remember reading that. I used to like Avellone but pretty much everything he's done with modern games I haven't liked. His characters seem to be annoying and have tons of dialogue that means nothing or isn't near as deep as he thinks.

Agean90 posted:

best part of the reserfence in wrpgs is that it made everyone who isn't me realize that avelonne-baloney isn't actuat that great a writer

Someone praised as amazing but turns out to be just ok after all but looked great due to their team, or diminishing in quality after awhile, sounds like The Molyneux Effect.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Someone praised as amazing but turns out to be just ok after all but looked great due to their team, or diminishing in quality after awhile, sounds like The Molyneux Effect.

I thought the Molyneux effect was the ability to bounce back after that because people only remembered the hype surrounding the games and not the games themselves. See also: David Cage

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Verranicus posted:

About halfway through Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Micaiah is just awful.

She's the best written character in Radiant Dawn but RD is not a well written game

al-azad
May 28, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

I thought the Molyneux effect was the ability to bounce back after that because people only remembered the hype surrounding the games and not the games themselves. See also: David Cage

Molyneux has always been a slow decline. Godus is the end of his career.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

She's the best written character in Radiant Dawn but RD is not a well written game
Micaiah would be great if she was in a game that let her be a character instead of the 'actually, this game was about Ike all along!' show

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

Micaiah would be great if she was in a game that let her be a character instead of the 'actually, this game was about Ike all along!' show

Ike is an infinitely better/more likeable character and he mostly communicates with shouting and grunts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That doesn't describe Ike in any way whatsoever lol, 90% of his dialogue is just very sincere worrying about other people and the other 10% is him putting his foot in his mouth. Throw in some deadpan humor too.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat Pillars 1, and overall enjoyed it. Glad PoE 2 has a turn based option now, though. I'll start on that soonish. I was going to return the souls to their bodies like the goddess I pledged to asked, but the revelation about the gods made me turn them to somewhere unknown instead. The goddess's retribution was bad, but I'm done with all the gods now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

That doesn't describe Ike in any way whatsoever lol, 90% of his dialogue is just very sincere worrying about other people and the other 10% is him putting his foot in his mouth. Throw in some deadpan humor too.

pFft, no way man, this is basically all of Ike's dialogue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKCIFXqhLzo

And then he like, throws a carriage off a mountain and explodes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
What can change the nature of a man, I say as I pretend freshman philosphy class is the peak of intellectualism

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hey guys get this... What if there was faction that was called the ANARCHISTS and they were ANARCHISTS please be aware that the anarchists aren't based in any actual anarchist philosopy *millions of nerds who only read genre fiction stand and applaud*

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 16, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m confused what set off this smugfest

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ulysses: you traveled through here once and now everything is really messed up. did i forget to tell you that. btw my name is ulysses. have you read ulysses. i've read ulysses. did you know that pressing that button launched a nuke. you totally just launched a nuke. launching nukes is a bad thing. i'm very mad right now

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Grieving Mother, who has no interesting dialog ever and doesn't even interact with the party because Chris Avellone refused to let other people write for his characters in case they ruined them

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ah I thought this was about fire emblem and was insanely confused

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Agean90 posted:

hey guys get this... What if there was faction that was called the ANARCHISTS and they were ANARCHISTS please be aware that the anarchists aren't based in any actual anarchist philosopy *millions of nerds who only read genre fiction stand and applaud*

To be fair Planescape as a setting is D&D's alignment system taken to an absurd and intentionally parodic extreme. Planescape is "what if everyone behaved according to their bumper sticker and a room full of evil people would literally slide into hell?"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also Planescape's themes are tied in with a lot of facets of the game itself that still not many games manage to pull off even to this day.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Planescape Torment is overly verbose and ridiculous and I love it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's really wordy but I never felt it was wasting time. I feel the same for Longest Journey, its verbose as hell like Torment but I consider that a strength for both because they help flesh out the setting and characters.

As much I enjoyed Torment 2 it definitely fell into being purple prosey for the sake of it though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The best representation of Planescape as a setting is when you call yourself by a fake name long enough you eventually encounter that real person.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Planescape is wordy but has a sense of humor. A lot, actually. You can get a paragraph of description of the noises you make with your mouth playing action figures by yourself.

V I'm one of those that snoozed through Old World Blues but stuff like Morte in Planescape is funny In My Opinion.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 17, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm mixed on chris avellone's humor. i haven't played planescape torment but in the stuff i have played it has just as bad a tendency to run on way longer than it needs to as his regular dialog does

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I found morte insufferable and he's there from the very beginning

lol the skull man wants to gently caress the corpse *laughs at this joke which is repeated multiple times*

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thinking of playing Wild Arms 4. Anything weird I need to know about?

corn in the bible posted:

I found morte insufferable and he's there from the very beginning

lol the skull man wants to gently caress the corpse *laughs at this joke which is repeated multiple times*

Look if I was a floating skull I would want to bone everything too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

al-azad posted:

Let Raquel carry you on her incredibly strong arms.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The game is about surviving long enough for Raquel to get a turn and kill everything.

Also you can't get all the EX keys because XSEED deleted a monster that counts towards 100% completion.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh no Wild Arms 4 gives me stuff for importing a save from Alter Code F?

But everyone dissuaded me from playing that so I'm just going forward.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

People would probably like to dissuade you from playing WA4 as well, to be honest

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Pillars 2 is way way better than the first game. The turn based mode is also very good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

The weird thing in Wild Arms 4 you need to know about is Wild Arms 4. I don't dislike it, mind, but even by Wild Arms standards its writing and tone is bizarre.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Was WA4 the one with the downer ending or was that 5?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Was WA4 the one with the downer ending or was that 5?
4. 5 actually has the cast from 4 make cameos and even has a sidequest to sort of 'undo' the ending of 4, but it's very lowkey and more an easter egg than any kind of canonical thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

4. 5 actually has the cast from 4 make cameos and even has a sidequest to sort of 'undo' the ending of 4, but it's very lowkey and more an easter egg than any kind of canonical thing.

I don't think it even explicitly 'names' the characters even - I remember Yulie's nametag being "Paladienne" or something like that. Maybe that changes for the sidequest, I dunno. There was only so much Dean I could take.

e: oh actually I guess that was her title/class in 4 anyway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh actually, if you're playing the PAL version it's prone to crashing a lot IIRC? I think there's supposed to be workarounds for that, but I'm a filthy american dog so I wouldn't know them, but just a heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh yeah 4 does crash a bit in PAL but if you pick NTSC at the boot menu it's fine (and if needs be you can save in PAL, switch to NTSC get past that bit and then go back).