Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Flopsy posted:

*shrugs* poo poo man I dunno, I'm just musing on unlikely what ifs here.

I mean I'm not saying you're wrong. Gamefreak does bafflingly stupid poo poo sometimes like Primal Reversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zore posted:

I mean I'm not saying you're wrong. Gamefreak does bafflingly stupid poo poo sometimes like Primal Reversions.

And makes Mega evolutions into straight up body horror for...uhhh lore reasons I guess. gently caress man I'm tired.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like people are kind of whipping themselves into a frenzy based on the bare scraps of information that they have

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like people are kind of whipping themselves into a frenzy based on the bare scraps of information that they have

People are whipping themselves into a frenzy because there's only bare scraps of information.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Flopsy posted:

And makes Mega evolutions into straight up body horror for...uhhh lore reasons I guess. gently caress man I'm tired.

That was actually some good lore and the lack of National Dex made it so not even every mega got this lore

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Johnny Joestar posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if Game Freak didn't have a history of going 'hey here's a new feature, wait one-to-several months for any kind of details on it!'.

v What Araxxor said. They've dropped the barest of details and then went quiet. It's hard for people to not freak out in a situation like this.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 17, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Honestly the one big issue I have about this entire thing is that they haven't provided a lot of info on how Home or whatever is gonna function. Or what the dex is gonna be. This is pretty big news to be dropping onto the audience, but because there's so little actual information, people are just panic speculating because they have basically nothing to work with.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, normally Gamefreak uses this kind of speculation period to build hype for the new games. They drop some fun tidbits and we spend months trying to figure out what the other Alola forms are and have fun with fanart and poo poo.

This time they dropped a bunch of bad news and clarified none of it so the normal speculation cycle is obviously turning to worst case scenario stuff.

Basically they should know how this poo poo works and it was dumb not to at least try to get out ahead of some of this stuff by, for example, saying you could still use your Non-Galar Pokemon in the Home stuff.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Lol if you actually farm shinies.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We're all on a boat traveling between London and NYC. Most of us have taken this trip before. We know how it goes.

Suddenly, the Captain turns at a right angle directly into a fog bank. Some want to know:

Why did the Captain turn into the fog bank?
What are the benefits of changing the well-worn route?
What's hiding in that fog bank? Is there an iceberg? Surely the Captain must realise he's pointed us directly at an iceberg.

Others:
You can't see anything but fog, what are you worrying about?

The Captain has never let us down before.

None of you own the boat.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

We're all on a boat traveling between London and NYC. Most of us have taken this trip before. We know how it goes.

Suddenly, the Captain turns at a right angle directly into a fog bank. Some want to know:

Why did the Captain turn into the fog bank?
What are the benefits of changing the well-worn route?
What's hiding in that fog bank? Is there an iceberg? Surely the Captain must realise he's pointed us directly at an iceberg.

Others:
You can't see anything but fog, what are you worrying about?

The Captain has never let us down before.

None of you own the boat.

The fact that they've done this, saw a negative response that could easily hurt sales and effectively done no damage control is loving insane.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Flopsy posted:

The fact that they've done this, saw a negative response that could easily hurt sales and effectively done no damage control is loving insane.

It's not going to hurt sales, so they don't have to do any damage control. Everyone's still going to buy it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

It's not going to hurt sales, so they don't have to do any damage control. Everyone's still going to buy it.

Thats only true until it does. Gamefreak hasn't done something like this ever so it seems weird to assume Pokemon is just completely teflon and immune to any bad publicity.

There are a lot of other high profile franchises that went to hell real quick. Look at Call of Duty of Assassin's Creed and how their sales went to poo poo after ignoring a bunch of outcry

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/festus_flare/status/1140293454557151237

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zore posted:

Thats only true until it does. Gamefreak hasn't done something like this ever so it seems weird to assume Pokemon is just completely teflon and immune to any bad publicity.

I recall a lot of this after they released LPGE, especially after they were considered "mainline titles." There were plenty of people online making claims that GF was removing wild battling from all future games, that Go was definitely the new future and would greatly affect the next gen, and that LGPE was going to be a substantial failure and the end of the competitive scene, the supposed end-all-be-all of the fan base. LGPE was Game Freak "dumbing down the franchise," and there were even people wondering if GF was removing Abilities permanently from the series because they weren't in those games.

They backed themselves into a corner in every possible way, and they're going to use pallets of money to overcome this obstacle.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Which Pokemon is in the 'I don't feel so good' panel? Its hard to make out.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zore posted:

Which Pokemon is in the 'I don't feel so good' panel? Its hard to make out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't wait for the SS meta to revolve around dynamax Garchomp :shepicide:

same but unironic because I love garchomp

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pokemon getting cut makes me sad because I'm a goof who likes lots of obscure Pokemon that never get any love.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

This is the most ridiculous part of that reddit BS. Nintendo famously lost a bunch of stock value because they came out during Pokemon Go's original heyday to say "We do not see as much profit from Go". The reddit post starts by claiming that Nintendo likes the games because they see money from game sales and consoles and further Non-pokemon game sales but then at the end they're claiming that Nintendo wants all the apps made and care less about the games? Also those pokemon game profits cited are ludicrous. They sell 10+ million a year.

They didn't lose a bunch of stock value because of that. What the hell? They gained a ton of stock value after Go's success, and then lost a lot when they had to clairfy that they didn't have majority ownership in Pokemon or Pokemon Go (with the former being split between GF, TPC, and Nintendo, and the latter being split between Niantic, and TPC). They have stake in TPC so they still get a stock boost from it, but not as much as what people initially thought the worth was since they weren't sole possessors of the IP.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Pokemon getting cut makes me sad because I'm a goof who likes lots of obscure Pokemon that never get any love.

i mean not that it will happen but pokemon being taken out is the best way to actually give those obscure pokemon more love

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So having read the last 10 or so pages of the thread I have figured out three things:

1. SwSh is the worst Pokemon game ever and all of the new features are either bad(dynamaxing) or meaningless (wild area).

2. Having infinity money makes literally anything possible, staffing issues, technical snafus and so on can all be solved with throwing more money at them. Any bad things that happen with high budget software projects are done out of spite towards the consumer, no other reason.

3. Almost everyone will be buying Pokemon Sword and Shield, the worst Pokemon game ever made, for some reason(???).

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

Injuryprone posted:

Lol if you actually farm shinies.

My mudkip will be pink no matter the cost

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

RatHat posted:

They can only call once without an adrenaline orb. Some ‘mons are way stronger than they should be though, like the Salandits with Dragon rage.
this is factually incorrect, wild mons can and will trap you in a infinite call for help loop. Adrenline orb just makes it more likely for them to do so/for it to succeed.
As far as I can tell, the formula for them doing it is:

Do you want to capture the original pokemon and end the battle because it's a 5% chance encounter that you've been looking for for 30 minutes: the chance of it doing so every possible turn and succeeding is 100%

Do you want to abuse the sos mechanic to chain for shinies/catch mareanie/get a rare encounter: the chance of it calling for help, never mind succeeding, is 25%

Saagonsa posted:

Both Z moves and megas are very good, but dynamax is not great and way more boring than both
Mega-Evos seemed like a cool way to make lovely/mediocre pokemon suddenly fantastic, at the expense of held items & limiting to one a team. But, it was also presented in a really gimmicky way that grated on the nerves, IMO.

Z-moves were nifty, and they fit well with the Alolan trials - similar to how badges in older games gave a percentage boost to your team's stats, but much flashier & made some battles interesting, especially when the NPCs could pull them out.

Dynamaxing seems like Z-moves, except with the gimmicky-ness of mega evos and then some. Especially with the focus on "raid battling." It looks like something that'll be interesting for the first hour, and then tedious every time it gets whipped out in the future. Even moreso due to the fact that, from the footage from E3, it gives pokemon a stupid amount of health and defense. Having to hit something three times to faint it already feels slow, this'll make some battles glacial.

Internet Kraken posted:

:wrong:

All they needed to do was dial back the really stupid megas they added in ORAS.
now I know you're not talkin' 'bout my boy beedrill :colbert:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Depends on the game. Not sure on the specifics of how SM did it, but that was the only time they had wild SOS battles be an infinite loop. USUM nerfed it so that they can't call for help more than once unless you use an Adrenaline Orb.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If Landorus and Lucario are left out of SwSh, I'll be completely fine with this new direction.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, this and this alone completely killed my enthusiasm for Sword/Shield. The ease of transferring virtually everything from the previous generations was one of the main reasons I was really into gen 6 & 7, and I love playing through a new game with one or two Pokemon from previous gens that I never used in my party. It was a lot of fun going through Ultra Sun with the only Mothim and Unfesant in Alola, and I was planning on sticking a Sawk or Carnivine or something similarly silly in my party for the next game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So having read the last 10 or so pages of the thread I have figured out three things:

1. SwSh is the worst Pokemon game ever and all of the new features are either bad(dynamaxing) or meaningless (wild area).

2. Having infinity money makes literally anything possible, staffing issues, technical snafus and so on can all be solved with throwing more money at them. Any bad things that happen with high budget software projects are done out of spite towards the consumer, no other reason.

3. Almost everyone will be buying Pokemon Sword and Shield, the worst Pokemon game ever made, for some reason(???).

You did it pal. You really delivered a scathing hot slam on the thread :geno:

Blaziken386 posted:

now I know you're not talkin' 'bout my boy beedrill :colbert:

Nah mega-Beedrill is awesome, and a great example of megas making an otherwise unusable Pokemon into something with viability.

The real problem mega was Mega-Salamance. Mega Garchomp was a case where the mega wasn't strictly better than a regular Garchomp with a held item, so using it was much more situational. Mega-Salamance was just a flat upgrade to Salamance, and an absurdly good one at that. That was a Pokemon that didn't need a huge boost but got one anyways because Gamefreak balances by throwing darts at a board.

More importantly, Mega-Salamance directly outclassed Mega-Pinsir which is bullshit :mad:

Scholtz posted:

If Landorus and Lucario are left out of SwSh, I'll be completely fine with this new direction.

You know there's zero chance of them leaving out Pokemon which are popular.

EDIT: I love how I specifically bred a shiny Parasect to be my goto Pokemon catcher in all future games and now I might not even be able to import it :cripes:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 17, 2019

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Internet Kraken posted:

You did it pal. You really delivered a scathing hot slam on the thread :geno:

If you'd like to correct anything feel free to. From here I see a lot of armchair developer talk and honestly it's pretty disgusting.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
from here i see an idiot with nothing worthwhile to say doing an extremely boring driveby on a topic that's already produced pages of miserable posts

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I honestly still do not get the issue myself, so I sympathize with impatient posts calling out the general trend of excessive lamentation.

Here's what I get and seems fair: "Not all the Pokemon will be available, so my favorite Pokemon might not be available. I'd hate that!" That seems like a completely reasonable thing to be worried about. But at this point no one knows that their favorite won't be in, and it's usually the case that you can't really use your favorite (i.e. you can't use them to fight gym leaders and the E4), so even this feels like an incremental loss rather than a fundamental loss.

But even allowing for that as a legitimate source for anxiety, I'm getting the impression that the very idea that not every Pokemon will be available is anathema. Really? You can't think of a single Pokemon you'd be indifferent to if it wasn't in the game? Are you really going to miss Cryogonal? Or is it just the idea that someone might miss Cryogonal that's upsetting?

Armchair developers insisting there's no possible reason for them not to include everything are also frustrating. If it's just a matter of snapping their fingers and importing all the data, why didn't they? This isn't a blind defense of lovely practices. Gamefreak is a corporation, and its interests are profits. Fan's happiness is only a goal in as much as it's profitable. If they were planning to sell back the ability to use the other Pokemon or something, I could see reason for being outraged. But that's not happening here, is it? It's a decision that only makes sense if, for whatever reason, development time for ~900 Pokemon were actually an issue.

What am I missing?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, at this point we have no idea how many old Pokemon will even be in the Galar Dex (also Home won't even be out until next year so there's plenty of time for them to change their minds). It just kind of feels like people are jumping to conclusions a bit prematurely here.

Personally I don't care, I've never transferred Pokemon from version to version and don't really go out of my way to bother with the whole collectathon aspect of these games (instead just choosing to get a decent team assembled and then treat the rest of the game like a standard RPG). I can understand why some people might be upset but I'm fine with what we've seen of Sword & Shield so far and will probably enjoy the game on its own merits.

Also I kind of want the anime to use Dynamaxing as an excuse to give us some Pokemon Kaiju fights.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 17, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A lot of people especially those who intend to put a lot of time into the game love the process of catching them all, making a living dex, breeding shinies for mons new and old, running through the game with some obscure friends they've never tried using before or just bringing along some cool pals they've had for generations. Their favourite part of Pokemon might not be in the new game at all.

The people getting super mad about game design and blaming things that are likely entirely unrelated for getting rid of some mons are very dumb, and the few posts i've seen that are like "Gamefreak designers should toss themselves off a building for this travesty" are even dumber. But some people are believing the worst because this info was just kinda thrown out there when it's actually a pretty big deal for a pokemon game to not be able to bring in your favourite pals, and that's pretty fair I think.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Honestly as long as Roselia/Roserade makes the cut I'll be forever satisfied, seriously I'd expect the Rose Pokemon to be included in the same region that had the War of the Roses as a historical event.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its not just the number of pokemon being trimmed down. Its that on top of all the other stuff;

-The game isn't visually bad but its not amazing either, and there are some parts where it looks just terrible
-Some of the animations are insanely lazy
-Gamefreak is once again introducing a new mechanic to a replace an old one, but this time they are totally cutting out support of those mechanics

Its 2019, there's no reason they can't step up their game. They've always cut corners but this is the first time I genuinely feel like not buying the game. You aren't an "armchair developer" for pointing out poo poo that is broken, ugly, and just plain stupid.

Its also worth wondering why the gently caress they made detailed models for every single Pokemon that were supposed to be future-proofed back in X/Y, yet now they apparently can't even use those?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

A lot of people especially those who intend to put a lot of time into the game love the process of catching them all, making a living dex, breeding shinies for mons new and old, running through the game with some obscure friends they've never tried using before or just bringing along some cool pals they've had for generations. Their favourite part of Pokemon might not be in the new game at all.

The people getting super mad about game design and blaming things that are likely entirely unrelated for getting rid of some mons are very dumb, and the few posts i've seen that are like "Gamefreak designers should toss themselves off a building for this travesty" are even dumber. But some people are believing the worst because this info was just kinda thrown out there when it's actually a pretty big deal for a pokemon game to not be able to bring in your favourite pals, and that's pretty fair I think.

"A lot of people especially those who intend to put a lot of time into the game love the process of catching them all, making a living dex"

this change doesn't impact this because you allready have all the non new pokemon in your living dex in bank/home

"breeding shinies for mons new and old"

you can breed the older pokemon in an older game and if you're really into it you probably already have

" running through the game with some obscure friends they've never tried using before or just bringing along some cool pals they've had for generations."

this is an issue but it's kind of a sacrifice for new pokemon every few years, hopefully the pokemon that get cut are different between games going forward so you can eventually use them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'll be real the game not having great graphics and animations is about what i'd expect. It's disappointing I guess but like not that disappointing? It's Pokemon, they've never shown that they're top notch or close to top notch at any of those things.

Elfgames posted:

"A lot of people especially those who intend to put a lot of time into the game love the process of catching them all, making a living dex"

this change doesn't impact this because you allready have all the non new pokemon in your living dex in bank/home

"breeding shinies for mons new and old"

you can breed the older pokemon in an older game and if you're really into it you probably already have

" running through the game with some obscure friends they've never tried using before or just bringing along some cool pals they've had for generations."

this is an issue but it's kind of a sacrifice for new pokemon every few years, hopefully the pokemon that get cut are different between games going forward so you can eventually use them.

I don't know what to tell ya man, people like having their dex all done in the new games, and partaking in breeding projects in the current generation even for old mons. I ain't going to tell them how to have fun in Pokemon games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I see "living dex" used a lot as one of the major complaints here, and I have to know. Are people transferring hundreds of monsters to each new game? If they managed a living dex in X/Y, did they toss every monster into the Bank and then transfer them all individually into S/M, get a new living dex, and then transfer them all back into the Bank and then into US/UM? It sounds like a lot of effort and a really niche Pokémaniac thing to do, but the claims make it seem like it's extremely common.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Judge Tesla posted:

Honestly as long as Roselia/Roserade makes the cut I'll be forever satisfied, seriously I'd expect the Rose Pokemon to be included in the same region that had the War of the Roses as a historical event.

Budew line is already confirmed to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've never sent old Pokémon to new games before, I pretty much start from scratch in each new region just like my hero Ask Catchthem has since Diamond Pearl.

But sucks for people who do not do that. Hope they patch in national dex later(I thought that's how it worked in Sun/Moon honestly, they didn't add bank until 4 months later or something, which I always assumed was for the same reason)