Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

quote:

Downloaded the iOS version of Evolution yesterday, and it’s got the hooks in. I’m not sure if it’ll last, but it’s been interesting finally getting a look at this game.

Is this one of those games where the iOS version is much better than the actual card game (i.e.: is the bookkeeping a massive pain?) How about expansions? I think I remember quite a few people recommending Climate as superior to the base game, but I don’t know what else is out there.

They recently finished a Kickstarter for Oceans, the next in the series. It had some interesting gameplay, and gorgeous art, but I couldn't see a reason not to just wait for retail .

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Narrator posted:

Draw 7 good cards. Announce the end of your turn. Draw some more cards anyway. If a player criticises you for not having enough different cards, draw a race or religion token and show it to them

This would be accurate if you had said "Draw seven cards, at most one of which is good, then bluff".

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Played mega civilization yesterday. Unfortunately some people dropped out (June weddings) so it wasn’t as much as I’d hoped, but I’m hoping for a fall game with 12-15. Didn’t have as much combat this time, the players all had a couple more or less devastating blow to their civilization at least twice so the builds were more focused with a couple breakaways from good trades. One thing I’m still appreciating is that trading for a complete set even with the detriment of calamities is good. The tech can never be taken from you and people will leave you alone for a couple turns as you recover.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

Played mega civilization yesterday. Unfortunately some people dropped out (June weddings) so it wasn’t as much as I’d hoped, but I’m hoping for a fall game with 12-15. Didn’t have as much combat this time, the players all had a couple more or less devastating blow to their civilization at least twice so the builds were more focused with a couple breakaways from good trades. One thing I’m still appreciating is that trading for a complete set even with the detriment of calamities is good. The tech can never be taken from you and people will leave you alone for a couple turns as you recover.

Yeah "I want those two salt, I'm well loving aware there's gonna be something bad in the third card" being an actual, reasonable trade request is so good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What I really don’t like is when people try to weasel the third card out of you. They try to make leading questions or remarks and it just slows the trading down. Here’s two salt, give me an oil and ochre. Of course people are going to try and make themselves trustworthy most of the time and I’ve emphasized not worrying too much about catastrophes. I don’t want to make it a hard rule because people will want to weasel out of it but how have you prevented/curtailed such behavior?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

What I really don’t like is when people try to weasel the third card out of you. They try to make leading questions or remarks and it just slows the trading down. Here’s two salt, give me an oil and ochre. Of course people are going to try and make themselves trustworthy most of the time and I’ve emphasized not worrying too much about catastrophes. I don’t want to make it a hard rule because people will want to weasel out of it but how have you prevented/curtailed such behavior?

By going with rules as written. If I give information about the third card, the first two are now subject to lying; I am required to tell the truth about at least two cards, but no more.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Got Crusader Kings in the mail yesterday and I'm pretty excited to try it. Anyone played it yet? Most of my group doesn't shy away from TI so long complicated games aren't immediately vetoed but I am wondering how long it will actually take to teach/play. Anyone have any pointers?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It’s pretty standard euro stuff so nowhere near a TI style or length.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

Got Crusader Kings in the mail yesterday and I'm pretty excited to try it. Anyone played it yet? Most of my group doesn't shy away from TI so long complicated games aren't immediately vetoed but I am wondering how long it will actually take to teach/play. Anyone have any pointers?

Still waiting for my copy, but UK fulfilment has begun so it should be here soon. As I understand it it's scenario-driven with games lasting 2-3 hours, so at worst it will run faster than Fief: France 1429.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Clarifications for new FCM milestones from Jeroen (one of the designers)

quote:

The first campaign manager can place another (after the first one) mailbox or billboard OF THE SAME TYPE as the original placement. Note I'm still working with him on the wording of this one as it's not communicating what they actually mean.
'Played' is the same as 'used' as referenced by milestones that reference first 'played'. Once the card is in the tree, it meets that requirement.

You do not need to put a waitress in the tree to get the $3 salaries and you do not need to have a trainer in your tree to be able to not fire people
If there's no mailbox available when you place your first restaurant, you're out of luck

If you've been playing with the new milestones and have other questions about them, let me know as they are looking for feedback on the wording. I'll send them on to him.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

First Marketer wording needs to be more specific. “-2 range” reads like your marketers have less range. It should say “-2 range at dinnertime”

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bottom Liner posted:

First Marketer wording needs to be more specific. “-2 range” reads like your marketers have less range. It should say “-2 range at dinnertime”

This confused me as well

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What does -2 range at dinnertime mean? That your effective price is better? e.g. if I have First Marketer and there's a house on my restaurant's tile is my effective price (assuming no other discounts) $8 for determining if they come to my restaurant?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Heh, thanks thread I got the Evolution app, it's a fun little game, especially given that it's free to play if you don't care much about how tough the enemies are but holy poo poo is it loving murdering my battery life.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

al-azad posted:

What does -2 range at dinnertime mean? That your effective price is better? e.g. if I have First Marketer and there's a house on my restaurant's tile is my effective price (assuming no other discounts) $8 for determining if they come to my restaurant?

We’ve been playing that it can’t reduce price but if you were 3 tiles away and your opponent were 1 it would be tied. Can’t go negative distance, just puts you closer to all houses effectively I assume.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yeah he's going to fix it in the rules when the game is released. If I hear anything else I'll let you folks know.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

The End posted:

Mysthea is a KS monstrosity mini extravaganza. Lavishly overproduced. And it's a bloody ripper. Utterly gorgeous production, deeply fascinating worldbuilding and most important of all; the game itself is actually excellent. A hybrid area majority game, with questing and monster slaying. It's in the same vein as Scythe and Lords of Hellas, but seems to be a great mid point between the two. Does Euro mechanisms better than Scythe, and with deeper strategy. I think Lords of Hellas is more raucous and Ameritrashy - it occupies a good lighter spot than Mysthea - I think they're a good complementary pair. Mysthea when you want something heavier and more involved. LoH when you want to smash minis against each other.

I had a first game of this the other day and enjoyed it as well, but had a few reservations. As you've said the production is gorgeous, and I really liked the way the round structure works - the way you only discover which territories are going to be most valuable as the round goes on (but can get a sense of this early from having the top card always revealed) is great and leads to some interesting decision making, as does the way monster activation works in conjunction with your ability to move the islands around (for anyone who hasn't played the game, it's an area-majority game in a similar vein to Blood Rage, but has neutral units that can seriously mess up everyone's units in a given territory - however, you can effectively rearrange the territories so that the monsters go to your neighbour rather than to you, and it leads to some really fun and tense choices).

I really didn't feel like it had much in common with Scythe though. To me Scythe feels very much like a euro-efficiency game with some very marginal aspects of area control/territorial conflict. Mysthea feels far more focused on area majority since after 3-4 turns in pretty much every territory will be shared by at least a couple of players if not more. Also the card-drafting/purchasing and hand-management mechanics felt far less like the engine-building/optimisation of Scythe and much more of a responsive, turn-by-turn decision making process of how best to exploit the current board state and maximise point-gain or area majority right now. I haven't played Lords of Hellas so can't make that comparison, but to me the closest comparison would be that it felt like a slower, deeper version of Blood Rage. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on how much you like the simplicity and speed of Blood Rage vs how much you wanted something more 'thinky'.

Ultimately this is where my reservations about the game come from - it runs long, and in the one game I played I felt like the amount and complexity of decisions becomes almost too much. By the later eras when you can have 10 or more cards in hand and could play any one of them, at times I found myself worrying if with repeat plays AP could get very bad due to the sheer number of possibilities to consider (to be fair, it's probably fewer than 10 cards that you're realistically choosing from since you only normally play 1 card per turn, and there are fewer than 10 turns in a round). Given that each card can also be used in multiple ways, it certainly felt a bit overwhelming at times. I certainly can't see myself ever wanting to play this with more than 3 - but on occasions where I wanted a heavy, involved area-control game at exactly that player count, I can't think of any many other games that do it better.

Overall it really did feel like an interesting design with a lot of clever decisions - for an overproduced kickstarter game many of the systems felt elegant and clean, there was nothing that felt tacked-on or clunky (other than maybe being reliant on the card iconography and the reference cards if you don't have the version of the cards with full-text on them).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Gandhi seems like a winner! It's come a long way in terms of balance and mechanics. I really like how the non-violent factions play, though I haven't really worked out all the details of Unity and Restraint yet. Toward the end of the solitaire game I played everyone was straining to get a couple extra points to get over the VP threshold. No one could do it, but Raj was close and bought their way to victory in final scoring.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The Scythe comparison for me most strongly comes from two directions ;

The mediation power growing based on having troops in different regions is very much like the harvest action in scythe. It's incredibly powerful.

The hero wandering about doing quests is the other one.

Agree it's a game that gets very wide by the end. Not a quick game at all. The box time estimates are laughably wrong.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
True I'd forgotten about the encounter cards/hero interaction which indeed is very much like Scythe. In the game we played even though I had the hero that got bonuses for doing these I hardly managed to do any encounters at all due to the other players moving the islands in ways that made it a pain in the rear end to get to the token until late in the game, and I would have had to sacrifice a lot of positioning to do so which is probably why I'd forgotten.

The meditate mechanic I really liked as well - striking the balance between being in as many places as possible to get better meditate actions (which I agree does feel a bit like the produce action in Scythe) and concentrating your forces in order to get area dominance felt like a constantly intriguing decision.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Home from my 48 hour in-and-out work stint at Origins for the weekend. Sadly didn’t have time to play much at all, but did get to sample PlanB/NextMove/Eggertspieles latest upcoming stuff: Era, the new “roll and build” from Matt Leacock, and 5211, a new abstract card game.

Era was really cool, and it’s components and table presence are top-notch. Tons of 3D plastic buildings which you add to a 14x14 peg board to create a medieval domain. Rolling dice gives you different resources, though until most roll & writes its inspired by, each player has their own set of dice which can vary based on which buildings are constructed. Only had a chance to play it 2p with a coworker but it was pretty great. Price will be a stumbling point for some I think ($70 MSRP) but drat it has a ton of quality production to back it up, albeit with lighter game play.

5211 was really fast, like 10-15min play time. Each player has a hand of 5 cards, then simultaneously selects and places two face down for a simultaneous reveal. Everyone draws back to 5, then repeats with a single cards, refills hands, and repeats one more time with a single (thus 5-2-1-1). Then based on player count and which cards/colors were played players either score all their cards of a specific suit of card, or whichever suit is in the majority among those revealed which didn’t meet or exceed a designated card limit (also determined by player count). Repeat through the whole deck, score the values on the cards you collected. It’s interesting and unique, and driven a lot by trying to guess / second-guess what colors you think your opponent(s) will play, but without any specific knowledge of what is in their hand, just based on rough card counting/likelihood at best. It’s interesting, and I want to try it with more than 2 as well.

The only thing I picked up for myself was a copy of Shobu from Smirk & Dagger, which is a new 2p abstract with a really unique feel and awesome wood/stone piece aesthetic. Across four 4x4 boards each player has 16 pieces of their color. When you move a piece on one board, that same direction and distance is mirrored on one of the other boards, and your objective is to push opposing colors off the edges of the different boards, and winning requires you to get all opposing pieces off one of the four boards. First impressions were super positive, even though I rarely get to play the swath of 2p stuff I already own, so idk if I’ll get much time with it, but drat it looks nice regardless!

Also I managed to bump into Bottom Liner this morning, recognized him from his LTEC videos, and chatted for a few minutes before I had to rush off to my next thing. Good to say hello dude!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I might have won a bid on eBay for Twilight Imperium 4th edition and I seem to have 3 interested players. How much trouble am I in? And, are there any tips to make the first game as easy as possible?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Afriscipio posted:

I might have won a bid on eBay for Twilight Imperium 4th edition and I seem to have 3 interested players. How much trouble am I in? And, are there any tips to make the first game as easy as possible?

Don't be intimidated. 4th edition is actually super streamlined.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
Just played my first game of Pandemic Legacy S2, (no spoilers really because it's the setup for the first game but you know) does anyone know why there are 2 "Build 3 Supply Center" objective cards? One comes from the Legacy deck and one comes from the Player Deck, and I could not figure out why there was a redundancy

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

terebikun posted:

Just played my first game of Pandemic Legacy S2, (no spoilers really because it's the setup for the first game but you know) does anyone know why there are 2 "Build 3 Supply Center" objective cards? One comes from the Legacy deck and one comes from the Player Deck, and I could not figure out why there was a redundancy

One is from the prologue, which you destroy and open the legacy deck when you start the full game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Merauder posted:

5211 was really fast, like 10-15min play time. Each player has a hand of 5 cards, then simultaneously selects and places two face down for a simultaneous reveal. Everyone draws back to 5, then repeats with a single cards, refills hands, and repeats one more time with a single (thus 5-2-1-1). Then based on player count and which cards/colors were played players either score all their cards of a specific suit of card, or whichever suit is in the majority among those revealed which didn’t meet or exceed a designated card limit (also determined by player count). Repeat through the whole deck, score the values on the cards you collected. It’s interesting and unique, and driven a lot by trying to guess / second-guess what colors you think your opponent(s) will play, but without any specific knowledge of what is in their hand, just based on rough card counting/likelihood at best. It’s interesting, and I want to try it with more than 2 as well.

I picked this up at Spiel last year under its Japanese title, 5 Colours. It's a neat little trick taker and best with 4 or 5.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

terebikun posted:

Also it may be worth checking out the PLS2 thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838376&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 all spoilers are well marked.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Afriscipio posted:

If everyone's new to the game, you should look up a pre-made map, so that no-one screws themself out of being competitive during the map-building phase.

Make sure you understand the rules for activation. In short, you activate a system, and then go through all the steps listed on the board in order, skipping whichever ones you like. So, you can build ships in a system and then move some other ships into it in a single action. You CANNOT build ships in a system on the same turn that you take it, because the building step is above the move-into step. (Of course, there are ways to circumvent this: the Warfare strategy lets you pick up an activation token, which means you can activate a system twice in your turn).

The rules around diplomacy and making new laws are complicated, to the point where I can't really summarise them from memory. Just be warned.

Any ship beats destroyers; destroyers beat fighters; fighters beat any ship. That's just a general principle, and there are wrinkles and exceptions, but I find that it helps new people get to grips with the combat.

Oh, also, late-game fleets are ridiculously large. You might want to designate a bit of table space off to one side, and whenever there's a fight, just line up all the ships there and pretend that they're in the contested hex.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Afriscipio posted:

The main tip is make sure everyone reads the rules. It's a fairly simple game but a fresh pair of eyes or five will avoid the game stalling when you hit a corner case.

A four player game is relatively quick too. Ignoring rules learning you should be comfortably done inside four hours. If it's taking you a lot longer then you're probably doing something slightly wrong.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Mojo Jojo posted:

If it's taking you a lot longer then you're probably doing something slightly wrong.

For my group slightly wrong equates to taking Mecatol and starting the agenda phase.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't think I totally understand what you mean that's slowing the game down. Are you saying that when people are trading they're trying to be greedy about for sure getting a third good from someone and dragging things on by trying to avoid a calamity? I've never noticed trades dragging unless it's two people really going back and forth over potentially imbalanced trades that could be significant for each other in different ways.

We just play that when you trade you say the three things you're trading and are very specific in the order you say them as the first two are a lock and the third is basically the "if I get something that isn't a calamity, great, if not then this better have been worth it."

I also really like the minor calamities that show up in the larger player games and wish that they were in the regular game. They don't slow things down too much and add more variety and minor loving-up of plans especially if people are on the knife's edge.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

For people who have played Cryptid:

Does the game hold up to repeated plays? I like the idea of it, but it is difficult to gauge if it gets solved or feels same-y past the initial 2-3 plays without actually playing it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
it wouldn't get solved unless you somehow manage to draw the same hints several times in a row. the game play is pretty samey yea, but it's something I play like once a month waiting for people to show up to game night and not my copy so it's pretty acceptable for what's basically a competitive logic puzzle

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Got the Lords of Hellas all-in pledge in the mail a little while ago and I finally took the time to get all the minis onto the table to check them out. Pretty drat amazing amount of content in this game and I can't wait to play it (probably solo first before I teach it to my group)

This is pretty much everything that isn't a card/token/board.

I was able to find the perfect storage solution. All the monsters, monuments, terrain and Atlas/Kronos fit in here, and then everything else goes in the core game box, including a smaller plano case for the 6 color player pieces and minis. Works out nicely and now I won't have to lug 5-6 boxes with me.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 17, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was having a lovely Monday but Pax Pamir is on its way so everything is sunshine and rainbows.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Having watched a forums game of porf, played two games of Ren and thought it was great, what kind of game is pamir, anyway?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Having watched a forums game of porf, played two games of Ren and thought it was great, what kind of game is pamir, anyway?

I haven't played 2nd edition but Pax Ren is heavily based on Pamir. Pamir is based around Britain vs. Russia vs. Afghanistan and the board state will change rapidly between those units. When a certain card comes up and a faction dominates the board, the player with the most loyalty devoted to that faction wins.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I never played 1e but Pamir 2e feels like a elegant and streamlined Ren. Fewer wacky options than Ren but in exchange you get a far more readable board state. I love Ren as a 2P game but playing 3-4P in person feels unmanageable, whereas Pamir shines at 3-4.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

admanb posted:

I never played 1e but Pamir 2e feels like a elegant and streamlined Ren. Fewer wacky options than Ren but in exchange you get a far more readable board state. I love Ren as a 2P game but playing 3-4P in person feels unmanageable, whereas Pamir shines at 3-4.
Having played small amounts of both Ren and Pamir 2, I'm a big fan of Pamir 2e and not as much of Ren. Ren very hard to play with 4 and was overall not enjoyable, while Pamir 2e keeps the fun parts of tableau building and sudden clever moves the completely change the game, while not having as many finnicky rules and corner-cases. Plus, the game elements in Pamir 2e are lovely (neat cloth board etc.), while Ren is... not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

thespaceinvader posted:

Also it may be worth checking out the PLS2 thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838376&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 all spoilers are well marked.

I'm also about to start on Pandemic Legacy S2 with my wife, after picking it up at the UK games expo for a nice round £50. Prices varied quite a lot from seller to seller with some charging up to £70.

Anyway thanks for the link! Quite excited about S2.